PSA: Don't Burn Your House Down Tomorrow

HardOCP News

[H] News
A little reminder from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission not to burn your house down on Thanksgiving with your awesome cooking skills. With that said, if you decide to deep fry a turkey tomorrow, make sure you get it on video....you know....just in case. ;)

can't wait for those frozen turkeys dropping in the deep fry videos tomorrow.

There you have it folks, burning oil/fat and water don't mix and only makes it worse.

My brother bakes a turkey for Thanksgiving and I usually fry one at Christmas. I used to use a traditional fryer with oil but I tried one of the oil-less fryers about two years ago. That is what I have been using since. I really like it. It cooks a damn good bird and clean up is really easy. Plus I have used it for cooking other meats, such as a 8 to 12 lb sirloin tip and whole chickens.

There was a house fire near me the other day, and it happened while cooking thanksgiving dinner.

How do you light dinner on fire?

Never understood why they call it frying.

It's obviously "boiling in oil".

Frying is done in one of these:

fnd_Cast-Iron-Skillet_s4x3_lg.jpg

I never understood the popularity of boiling food in oil.

I've certainly never done it, and growing up my parents - despite being frequent cookers whenever did either.

I didn't even realize that anyone ever did that at home until recently. I thought it was something reserved for disgusting and unhealthy fast food..

It must make the entire house stink. Disgusting.

Last edited:
When I was 19 we had a Thanksgiving party for a friend joining the service. Filled a 52 qt cooler of wapatui with at least 2 liters of Everclear on top of the traditional hodgepodge of liquor that goes in a wap. Deep fried 3 large turkeys in the backyard with no problems (in the snow too yikes!). If an irresponsible college aged me, while testing the wap, can manage 3 deep friers an average idiot shouldn't be burning down their damn house! Is this what you guys always talk about? Population control?

Drop the Turkey in the deep fryer when its frozen for maximum effect :D

I want that job.

"Hey boss, we burned through our budget for the year already, can I go home now?"

Never understood why they call it frying.

It's obviously "boiling in oil".

Frying is done in one of these:

View attachment 11048

I never understood the popularity of boiling food in oil.

I've certainly never done it, and growing up my parents - despite being frequent cookers whenever did either.

I didn't even realize that anyone ever did that at home until recently. I thought it was something reserved for disgusting and unhealthy fast food..

It must make the entire house stink. Disgusting.
That's pan frying, only one type of frying, and you are still essentially boiling in oil.

And yes, using deep fryers does tend to stink up part of a house. What you are frying and what oil you are using is a big factor in determining if that smell is pleasant or putrid. Deep frying can be done in healthier ways, especially if you use healthier oils like Coconut, Olive, Peanut, and Palm.

That's pan frying, only one type of frying, and you are still essentially boiling in oil.

And yes, using deep fryers does tend to stink up part of a house. What you are frying and what oil you are using is a big factor in determining if that smell is pleasant or putrid. Deep frying can be done in healthier ways, especially if you use healthier oils like Coconut, Olive, Peanut, and Palm.

If you are boiling in oil in a frying pan, you are doing it wrong.

Only the tiniest amount of oil or butter should be used for frying, in order for it not to stick. A tiny tiny thin coating of the metal. THAT is frying.

If you are boiling in oil in a frying pan, you are doing it wrong.

Only the tiniest amount of oil or butter should be used for frying, in order for it not to stick. A tiny tiny thin coating of the metal. THAT is frying.
The oil is still heated therefore the oil is boiling. It doesn't matter if its only microns thick in a pan or a gallons full in a deep fryer at your local McDonalds.

What you are describing is only one type of frying. Pan Frying. It is also the most traditional method and the source of the very outdated definition found in most dictionaries. I can see why a purist like yourself would prefer it, as it is often the easiest methods of doing it while also being healthier than deep frying.

Frying itself is the action of applying a super heated material (such as oil or hot air) to the surface of the food to instantly cook and seal the outer layer of the food. This keeps more oil from soaking into the object, keeping the food relatively oil free. This also leaves most of the moisture and flavors inside, effectively causing the food to cook itself from the inside out by boiling the moisture.

Last edited:
I always get fried before I grill.

The wife makes me keep the grill outside.

Insurance premium paid up.

I use a saucier to cook in and it is deep enough to deep fry in and gets hot enough to flash fry foods at high heat but can be cooked in like a wok or flying pan/skillet. They stopped selling them in the us mostly because having a wider bottomed thing with sloping sides and narrow bottom pan you cook on the sides because the center gets too hot confuses many people just looking for cookware. If you have ever made soup you have deep fried food. Most stock is made from beef or chicken fat and blood. That sound gross to some people but it simply is cooking in it own juices. If there is more water than juices the outer layer of food becomes watery and mushy. If there is too much oil it become soggy. The trick is cook the meat's outside fast enough that it seals shut and then cook the insides slowly so the heat slowly sinks into the the meat. I make my cheese burgers in a saucier with a mix of peanut oil and water coating the bottom of the pan really thin some times I add a little country crock which is basically oil and boiled cow milkcream long enough to get rid of any bacteria or salts in it. much like wine yeast milk that is made to cheese the bacteria and yeast eat each other and if in exact levels leave behind cheese or alcohol only. So deep frying a turkey is about getting the heat into the turkey as fast as possible without sorching the skin, this results in people thinking that the oil does not enter the bird at all which is silly. So they basically super heat the oil and get a diesel engine detonation... they drop a fifty pound pieces of meat and bird that is frozen into oil that compresses into denation... boom flaming bird and sometime blown out cooking vessel... four twenty five is plenty for cooking turkey in oil. just make sure to cover it in grease and slowly lower it into the oil... or cook it in cooking bag and steam it and it ends up cooking the same way in steam that has oil and butter in it...

Frying itself is the action of applying a super heated material (such as oil or hot air) to the surface of the food to instantly cook and seal the outer layer of the food. This keeps more oil from soaking into the object, keeping the food relatively oil free. This also leaves most of the moisture and flavors inside, effectively causing the food to cook itself from the inside out by boiling the moisture.

When deep frying the oil needs to be kept at the proper temperature to seal the outer layer.
If the oil is not hot enough you end up with oily food.
This also happens if you put too much food in the fryer at the same time, like too large of a batch of frozen fries.
The amount of food that you can properly cook depends on the amount of oil in the fryer, how fast it can recover (reheat the oil), and how cold the food you are frying is.
Tossing in a bunch of frozen French fries is worse than the same amount of room temperature fresh cut potatoes.

I have no desire to deep fry a turkey, but homemade French fries, battered fish, and sliced/battered home grown zucchini are best when deep fried. :hungry:

good thing i never eat turkey. no one knows how to make one that tastes good enough

I never understood the popularity of boiling food in oil. <snip> I thought it was something reserved for disgusting and unhealthy fast food.
Nothing unhealthy about fried foods. It was a myth propagated by the AMA for years, because they couldn't come up with anything better in the way of an explanation for what really causes heart disease (a lot of doctors still cling to the idea, even though there's no evidence to support it). 50 years of research showed that dietary fat intake has no effect on increasing the incidence of heart disease. Sadly, the idea is entrenched into pretty much everyone's psyche, so it will take decades before this idea ever goes away.
Now go enjoy your fatty foods. They're better for you than the sweet stuff, which nobody needs at all.

yeah you [H]ooligans are like fam so don't go dying

Back