PSA - DIMES is something everyone can run, no impact on other DC'ing

Still no update from the staff, but I have noticed their page no longer pulls up the error dialogue when I visit. It also shows the active clients vs. measures done graph now. So, looks like something has been getting worked on. I would say not completely dead yet, but probably more of a large scale backbone update and possibly the staff tired of responding to people bitching. I will continue to periodically check to see if I notice any other signs of life...

Looks like there was a stats export today.... Maybe life has returned

I have no idea if any results were posting or not. Without the stats updates, I have not really even looked into it beyond checking the non-existent forums responses and the lack of replies to emails. I don't know if they just gave up or if there was a change going on in the office or what. Honestly, I don't even know how the results are even used now. Too much lacking in the communication area. I can't even get them to set up a forums account for me....

Front page at least says there are 213 active agents...

Previously, I couldn't even install the client as it couldn't find accounts and such. So, I probably need to install it on a few more systems now. Too bad their client still hasn't been updated since July 2013.

I contacted the former project lead about the status of this project and whether it would ever return. This is the reply I got:

Hi,

Getting funding to keep DIMES going become harder and harder until I finally gave up on it and shut the project down.
I just got permission to move the old data to a repository so it can continue to be of use to the research community.

While DIMES is dead its spirit didn't. I took the idea of DIMES and set up a company http://www.bgprotect.com to protect (mainly governments agencies and financial organizations) from IP routing attacks. We rewrote the agent to be much more robust, and added advanced real time analysis to identify malicious routing anomalies.

Thank you for your long time support,

Best regards,
Yuval

Though netDIMES is now dead, I wanted to point out that I tracked down the original admin Yuval of the project and got him in contact with Rysiu from iThena (new BOINC project with very similar goals). They were both very receptive and looks like they are willing to work together on at least some things. Hoping this turns into a very solid NCI project for BOINC.

Back