PSA: Chris Dohanty Is A Bad Seller

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I thought I never would have to post on this section of the forum; however, this guy is an absolute con-artist. Maybe I had this coming, but I thought why not give it a try because Paypal does hold funds for 45 days when a payment is sent. I actually sort of had an intuition this guy was a con-artist from the beginning because the pictures he sent me were straight from google. In addition, I googled his name and surprisingly I found him posting the same sort of shit on other forums. However, what changed my mind was when I asked him to take a picture with his name he immediately responded with what I requested. Anyways I'll cut to the chase. This guy (Chris Dohanty) messaged me that he was selling an item that I was looking for at a ridiculously low price. I jumped on it and forfeited another offer that I was going to jump on. After a couple of messages with this total bafoon, which I sent the payment immediately and he said he would message me back with a tracking number; however, it has been a couple of days already, and he has neither logged on or even responded to the dispute I already initiated.
I just wanted to post on this because I want this total bafoon BANNED from this site so that it won't happen again to other users. What pisses me off the most is that I could have got the item I had pending with another user for a bit higher price but because I forfeited the deal, it's been sold.

Don't trade with Chris Dohanty BEWARE!!

Did you do any research on him?heat,google,phone number,references from other forums?

Is that his actual username? cause I cant find anything on him.

As the old saying goes,if its too good to be true,it usually is.

If it has only been a few days,then there is still a chance that you may get your item,but its always your responsibility to take as many precautions as possible,not to say its entirely your fault though.

Did you do any research on him?heat,google,phone number,references from other forums?

Is that his actual username? cause I cant find anything on him.

As the old saying goes,if its too good to be true,it usually is.

If it has only been a few days,then there is still a chance that you may get your item,but its always your responsibility to take as many precautions as possible,not to say its entirely your fault though.

When he sent me the pictures, I immediately looked for it on google to see if I would get a hit. Surprisingly, there was a hit. I even googled his name and got a hit on other forum sites. This was all done before I even sent any money.
The only reason why I sent the money was because he provided me a picture of the item as well as his username after the first picture I received I felt suspicious about.
It definitely is my responsibility to take all the precautions, which I did. It is also my fault that I got scammed. I only started this thread so that users will not deal with him and the Mods can BAN him. Trust me there is no chance that he will send the item. I can 100% guarantee you this.
That old saying of "If it's too good to be true" was absolutely on my mind; however, like I said, Paypal has that 45 days hold policy, so I decided I was still safe.
The whole point of starting this thread is to let the users know not to trade with this total bafoon.

Here are the links I found on google of him:
http://www.techenclave.com/community/members/chris-dohanty.52588/
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2825097/all

If the Mods want me to show proof of the pictures he sent me that were found on Google for proof, I will gladly send you the messages I received.

Last edited:
I totally understand your reason for starting this thread and I'm sure we all appreciate the heads up.

I seen the techenclave link when I googled that name,it has no posts though,also I can't find him here on hard forum.

Sorry for the trouble and hopefully you get all your money back and he gets banned if he really did try to scam you.

I totally understand your reason for starting this thread and I'm sure we all appreciate the heads up.

I seen the techenclave link when I googled that name,it has no posts though,also I can't find him here on hard forum.

Sorry for the trouble and hopefully you get all your money back and he gets banned if he really did try to scam you.

Thanks.

For the techenclave site, you have to go to postings.

Here's his page: http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=269194

Why would paypal hold someone's funds for 45 days? When someone sends you something you get the money right then. You can either go withdraw it, spend it or send it over to your bank account. But I see this guy also has zero post , so another trade behind the scenes.

I'm sorry this happened to you. But with all that information, zero post and him sending a pm was a big red flag. But you seemed to know this and still sent the money. Hopefully you didn't send it as a gift though. Plus he could have easily photo-shopped his name on the picture with a 3rd party app.

Did you check the properties of the picture to see when it was created and then modified? But I look at it as it just as much your fault as it was his. Did you get a phone number so you could call and talk to him. Since he had no post or no heatware or feedback?

I honestly hope you get it sorted or maybe he will send you the item. But the sad thing its it was all done behind the scenes here. Wish you the best of luck but you should have known better then to do that.

if you paid from your paypal funds and he is indeed a scammer your money is probably gone. This is not ebay, paypal will not hold fund for 45 days, you have 45 days to file a claim if something goes wrong.

he has not a single post in this forum, that right there is a big red flag.

Like I said. I never blamed anyone. It is my job to make sure if this guy was suspicious or not. Which I already came to a conclusion before I even sent the money. I only sent the money because he gave me a valid picture with the item and the picture. In addition, I felt safe doing this knowing that Paypal usually honors the buyer. Therefore, I just took the chance. I couldn't check the properties of the picture. But I knew he was suspicious already when he offered me a below asking price offer and sent me two bogus pictures straight from another site.
Again, I'm not pouting at the situation. I just wanted to take a chance and see if he is actually a legit user then I get a great price on the item. If not, then oh well, I just wanted to weed out these losers but still get my money back.
Why would paypal hold someone's funds for 45 days? When someone sends you something you get the money right then. You can either go withdraw it, spend it or send it over to your bank account. But I see this guy also has zero post , so another trade behind the scenes.

I'm sorry this happened to you. But with all that information, zero post and him sending a pm was a big red flag. But you seemed to know this and still sent the money. Hopefully you didn't send it as a gift though. Plus he could have easily photo-shopped his name on the picture with a 3rd party app.

Did you check the properties of the picture to see when it was created and then modified? But I look at it as it just as much your fault as it was his. Did you get a phone number so you could call and talk to him. Since he had no post or no heatware or feedback?

I honestly hope you get it sorted or maybe he will send you the item. But the sad thing its it was all done behind the scenes here. Wish you the best of luck but you should have known better then to do that.

I already filed a dispute with Paypal. He has not replied to the dispute or even logged on to this forum since the 21st. I even gave Paypal a call about this situation and they said more than likely if he doesn't provide a tracking number, which he still hasn't, they will more likely give me back my money.
if you paid from your paypal funds and he is indeed a scammer your money is probably gone. This is not ebay, paypal will not hold fund for 45 days, you have 45 days to file a claim if something goes wrong.

he has not a single post in this forum, that right there is a big red flag.

I already filed a dispute with Paypal. He has not replied to the dispute or even logged on to this forum since the 21st. I even gave Paypal a call about this situation and they said more than likely if he doesn't provide a tracking number, which he still hasn't, they will more likely give me back my money.

have you escalate the dispute to a claim yet? most likely if he is scamming you he would have taken the money out of his account already. hopefully paypal make it right for you.

I opened a case already. However I am only able to escalate the claim on the 28th. I actually wanted to open the case earlier; however, I really wanted to get the item on the price he offered me so I just waited an extra day before opening the case. Anyways, the case is open, and once I can escalate I'm doing it. Hopefully, I do get my money back. I really think Paypal will side with me on this case because they already sent him an e-mail stating to provide a tracking number, which he hasn't as of yet.
have you escalate the dispute to a claim yet? most likely if he is scamming you he would have taken the money out of his account already. hopefully paypal make it right for you.

Your first and last clue shiuld have been the fact that the guy has 0 posts and should not even be using the FS section.

I for one will not deal with anyone that does not have the 100 posts needed to post in the FS section. If a user pm's me I usually just report them and move on......

Your first and last clue shiuld have been the fact that the guy has 0 posts and should not even be using the FS section.

I for one will not deal with anyone that does not have the 100 posts needed to post in the FS section. If a user pm's me I usually just report them and move on......

Bingo...brand new user, no posts and a "ridiculously low price"....all the signs were there

You laugh, but had you done what he said, we would not be reading this thread.

good luck with PayPal

I think you're missing the point entirely. Had you just reported this guy - who has no posts - and bad heat - you wouldn't be in this predicament. Not sure what the "LOL" was about.

It's fine to point out where people could be more cautious, but it always irks me when someone says that something was even partially the victim's fault (especially in cases like this where the actual perpetrator knows full well he is engaging in a criminal act and is doing so willfully).

In those situations, it is never anyone's fault but the criminal's. If I leave my door unlocked at night, I may be foolish. I may be naive. But I'm not at all to blame or at fault if someone murders me. The person at fault and to blame is the evil MFer who did the murdering.

Same thing here. Someone might do something foolish to open themselves up to a criminal asshat. But the person at fault is still the criminal asshat.

Sorry, just a rant. Which may not even apply all that well here. ;)

I think you're missing the point entirely. Had you just reported this guy - who has no posts - and bad heat - you wouldn't be in this predicament. Not sure what the "LOL" was about.

He was LoLing because Crazy Chuckster said he reports people who send him a PM. I lol'd too. I dont report people for not having 100 posts but I absolutely do not deal with them.

Hurin, I'll leave OP's quote here for you.

I actually sort of had an intuition this guy was a con-artist from the beginning because the pictures he sent me were straight from google. In addition, I googled his name and surprisingly I found him posting the same sort of shit on other forums.

Of course, scammers should be held accountable. But when I read stuff like what I quoted, I have to wonder - "why did you continue to go with it?" I think the thread title should read (instead of what it currently reads) - "PSA: Don't Accept Offers from Users with no Posts!"

He was LoLing because Crazy Chuckster said he reports people who send him a PM. I lol'd too. I dont report people for not having 100 posts but I absolutely do not deal with them.

I must have interpreted it as "I report people with 0 posts who make me offers."

Hurin, I'll leave OP's quote here for you.
And I'll leave something someone else said here for you:
"not to say its entirely your fault though."
Which is to say that it's partially the OP's fault. :mad:

Was he naive? Yes. Was he foolish? Yes. Is he at fault? No. Not being careful/paranoid enough does not establish fault. Because, without the evil MFers willfully perpetrating crimes, we could all be as foolish and naive as we want and there would still be no crimes.

I understand this can seem like splitting hairs. And I apologize. But it bothers me that so many reports of evil people being evil end up with most of the focus being on how the victim should accept some responsibility. As though they haven't or they aren't living that responsibility already.

And I'll leave something someone else said here for you:
"not to say its entirely your fault though."
Which is to say that it's partially the OP's fault. :mad:

Was he naive? Yes. Was he foolish? Yes. Is he at fault? No. Not being careful/paranoid enough does not establish fault. Because, without the evil MFers willfully perpetrating crimes, we could all be as foolish and naive as we want and there would still be no crimes.

I understand this can seem like splitting hairs. And I apologize. But it bothers me that so many reports of evil people being evil end up with most of the focus being on how the victim should accept some responsibility. As though they haven't or they aren't living that responsibility already.

I think you're reading way too much into this. This is the last post I'll leave on the topic. We're not talking about a rape victim here. We're not talking about a murder. We're talking about a forum scam that had all of the tell-tale signs of it being a scam. Yes, it's terrible that people are out to fuck one another over. But it's your responsibility to exercise due diligence in preventing said fucking over. I understand that you're sticking up for the victim and I respect that (more than my posts may convey). But the fact is that intentions aren't good enough. In this case, OP failed to exercise due diligence and got what was EXPECTED - not DESERVED. In any case, it doesn't matter. OP knew the risk he took (according to his post) and he's created this as a banner to help us all... Not that we need it of course. I wouldn't sell to a user with 0 posts, much less give them my money...

OP,hopefully PayPal gets your money back... Chris Dohanty has left the building, so this brings us to a close.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back