PSA: Check Your Ram Settings Even If You Don't OC

I just built a New Ryzen System. I would get random BSOD's until I found out that the motherboard had incorrectly set my memory to the wrong frequency and voltage. If you have BSOD's, it's worth it to check memory settings. It's also a good idea to check before you buy that your ram is on the motherboards memory QVL list. Now it isn't for certain that ram not on a QVL will not work, in many cases it will be just fine, but I decided to take a risk with a slight variation in model numbers compared to the QVL. I don't think it would be all that normal for a QVL part to set the memory wrong, but I would check even if it is for sure QVL listed.

I know many of you already know this. I thought it might be a nice thing to post for people with the same issue to find if they do a search for it on the net.

Cheers!

FYI its not just AMD systems, I had to manually volt my ram and CPU even at stock before it was stable. (QVL just means its tested at the rated speeds/setting in the board not that it will auto configure)

I just built a New Ryzen System. I would get random BSOD's until I found out that the motherboard had incorrectly set my memory to the wrong frequency and voltage. If you have BSOD's, it's worth it to check memory settings. It's also a good idea to check before you buy that your ram is on the motherboards memory QVL list. Now it isn't for certain that ram not on a QVL will not work, in many cases it will be just fine, but I decided to take a risk with a slight variation in model numbers compared to the QVL. I don't think it would be all that normal for a QVL part to set the memory wrong, but I would check even if it is for sure QVL listed.

I know many of you already know this. I thought it might be a nice thing to post for people with the same issue to find if they do a search for it on the net.

Cheers!
So how do you know what is the correct frequency and voltage?

^ This
So how do you know what is the correct frequency and voltage?
Voltage and frequency is generally printed on the ram, auto voltage should feed it enough power to at least boot into bios, to get stable is another story.
AMD boards notoriously have to be fed a little more than 1.2v to get most sets of ram to run at their XMP rated settings (XMP = intel) its generally recommended to stay under 1.45v for DDR4 though(default is 1.2v).

I had a similar experience with my X570 Taichi 3900x am the Gskill Tridents I have. The Ram was just off enough to crash every once in awhile and when I finally checked my CPU Fclk wouldn’t even couple to the Ram speed no boot. I juiced SOC and other VDDs up a bit to no avail and finally got 20hrs Prime95 after going up to 1.376. I still haven’t tested if lowering the other voltages back down would maintain stability but I’m too lazy and just wanted to stop crashing out of games. My Fclk is also now coupled @1800Mhz otherwise my XMP settings were actually correct just insufficient.

Back