PSA: Buyers, do your research...

theplaidfad

Lurker
For the love of god, if you plan on buying something from another forum member, do your fricking research and know what you're buying and if it's right for you. Can't use the google? Ask the seller questions BEFORE you commit to buying, not after.

I had somebody commit to buying something this morning, so I left work and went home and got the item so I would be able to ship it out to the person today. I spent my time doing that, then spent my time packaging it up only to get a PM from the person who already said they'd take the item asking questions. Of course, now they don't know if they want this item and I'm left here sitting in the lurch hoping that I literally haven't had my time wasted today.

Grrr.

Can't agree enough. So often I get messages saying they will take the item, and asking me for Paypal info. I send them Paypal info and then nothing. So I wait all day in "pending" mode, only then if I am lucky, they will tell me they are no longer intersted. Most often, I just never hear from them again. Now I know people have a right to change their minds, but as often as this happens it clearly shows a lack of true considering before agreeing to purchase an item.

So to add to theplaidfad's message - please stop, and think it through before committing to a purchase!

Yep. I got left high and dry with my time being wasted without so much as an apology even.

Never again

It was 28-0-0. All purchases... I could tell I was dealing with a younger person though. Bad grammar, a couple of other cues.

His message before I left to go get it was "I'll paypal in a couple of minutes."

It was 28-0-0. All purchases... I could tell I was dealing with a younger person though. Bad grammar, a couple of other cues.

His message before I left to go get it was "I'll paypal in a couple of minutes."

I can understand why you did what you did. But yeah, from now on, until the money actually hits your account... ;) In any case, hope you had a great thanksgiving. :)

I feel much more confident when people have heat from SALES too, but out of 28 sales, since they're positive, maybe something legitimate happened with him preventing him from completing the transaction.

Younger isn't always bad though, by 18 or 19 people usually have better judgement.

When I'm buying a larger ticket item here I start the conversation saying I'm VERY interested then I'll find out further details, as I just did with a video card. Don't say "I'll take it!" then ask questions after just so the seller holds the item for you.

maybe something legitimate happened with him preventing him from completing the transaction

Nope, nothing legitimate at all. Just like I said in my OP. He waited to do his research until AFTER he said he would take it and paypal was incoming. Even after I pointed out his research was wrong, he said he'd think about it.... didn't bother to apologize for wasting my time. I told him the item was no longer available to him after he did that.

People may commit to a purchase so you hold the item giving them more time.

I'd say it might help you to ask the person for payment within 1 hour of accepting their offer.

Back