PSA: Amazon Raising Prime Annual Price to $119

To me this is step 1 (placing the hand of the proverbial rug) to pulling the rug out on the consumer......the more customers they pull in the more they get you hooked. Then they start boiling the frog. This is a common theme with businesses now-a-days, get people so invested in their company they CAN'T afford to leave......its scary really.

nice 20% increase and their prime items seem to be less and less...

da actual fudge?

$10/month for the whole subscription - that's the way you should look at it. Is that really worth it?

Keep in mind you get free shipping if you order more than $25 and there are hundreds of other competitors out there (www.froogle.com). ...and Prime Video is fairly craptacular.

I order a lot of small items that cost less than $5 that I get free two-day (many even same day) shipping with prime. Totally worth it not having to drive to Walmart or BestBuy and deal with other customers and lining up for 15 minutes at that one open cashier.

I order a lot of small items that cost less than $5 that I get free two-day (many even same day) shipping with prime. Totally worth it not having to drive to Walmart or BestBuy and deal with other customers and lining up for 15 minutes at that one open cashier.

Bingo

It's getting high enough that casual shoppers will be concerned. The price hikes are happening regularly now it seems. Amazon is also quite tricky in BS ways. Like if you place an order sometimes they won't let you cancel it even days before it s supposed to ship which I find smarmy as hell. Then some items you set to ship in 6 days, ends up shipping with another package defeating the point of slow shipping. That pisses me off because sometimes I schedule shit to get delivered while away from the house. And they freaking ship early so its sitting there for days. Grr...

You do realize you can save tons of money to signup for prime only when you need it right?

There a monthly Prime. Stock up cancel repeat

You do realize you can save tons of money to signup for prime only when you need it right?

There a monthly Prime. Stock up cancel repeat

Unless your preparing for a natural disaster or can predict the future, most things are purchased from Amazon on a whim.

I disagree

It's OK to disagree but it doesn't mean it's not true.

If I had to wait 3-5 business days for a delivery, I'm less likely to purchase it. Amazon knows this.
Amazon plays to our impulsive nature.

Getting things in two days with a "no questions asked" return policy makes shopping at Amazon very impulsive.

i know hating the big dog is the vogue thing to do, especially with us early adopters of tech who feel special for being at the front of the line.. but.. amazon is totally worth it. their customer service is better than any retail store, their selection is like the modern Sears catalogue on steroids, and lets face it.. we all love it.

so, whatever. i think ~$150 is probably my ceiling. give me something to add to the value and i could sit at the table and discuss what'd make it worth $200.

you guys seem to forget the average "full package" of local cable tv can be almost $200/month.

i know hating the big dog is the vogue thing to do, especially with us early adopters of tech who feel special for being at the front of the line.. but.. amazon is totally worth it. their customer service is better than any retail store, their selection is like the modern Sears catalogue on steroids, and lets face it.. we all love it.

so, whatever. i think ~$150 is probably my ceiling. give me something to add to the value and i could sit at the table and discuss what'd make it worth $200.

you guys seem to forget the average "full package" of local cable tv can be almost $200/month.

Do you use Prime Video? Really? It's pretty worthless to us besides the Amazon originals. There's no live TV, 3/4s of the stuff on Prime is not watchable w/o paying more money on top. Amazon is kinda clueless in that regard.

You can get DTVnow for 35 bucks get ondemand streaming and live tv.

I might cancel my membership. Walmart, Costco, Google express may meet my need.

You do realize you can shop from amazon without prime right and just pay for expedited shipping? I think a lot of people forget that fact about them. I use it so often ill keep it, when walmart is a 45minute drive one way, id rather just order something lol.

Maybe some of this discussion is because people value their time differently. I know what I consider my time to be worth, and it is worth more than making a 45 minute trip for a $5 item, or alternatively waiting two additional days for said $5 item to ship.

Of course, if I -need- said $5 item, my Prime membership doesn't preclude me from going to get it. If something is priced very much differently, it likewise doesn't preclude me from ordering elsewhere. Those are, for many things, the exception rather than the rule, I think. For all else, I'll save my time and simple have whatever delivered.

Do you use Prime Video? Really? It's pretty worthless to us besides the Amazon originals. There's no live TV, 3/4s of the stuff on Prime is not watchable w/o paying more money on top. Amazon is kinda clueless in that regard.

yea, but im not a big tv watcher, in all honesty. i didnt even realize the prime video was part of my prime for the first 3+ years i had it ;) i work 50-70 hour weeks on any given week, so even IF costco or somebody else local has the same stuff as amazon, at the same price or even 10% less, it's still worth it to me to show up Friday after my flight and have my dog's food, bathroom supplies, etc, waiting on me. i'd much rather be pouring a bourbon than saving $15 by spending 3 hours in town running errands.

didnt know that about the DTV, though. ill check that out. ty.

Corporate think really, really stupid. So, we offer Prime at $79 a year and we get free shipping. To bring more value to this fee, we start tying in other services like video, music, and books so we can get you to really feel like your getting something for your $79.

We're raising the price to $99 a month because you really like free two day shipping. All that other stuff we've tied to the fee is still lagniappe. ENJOY!

We're raising the price to $119 a month because we realized we have you by the nuts on that free two day shipping thing and now we have you on video, music, and books. GOTCHA!

What a ripoff! Honestly I'd go back to buying local if WalMart and Amazon hadn't put everyone out of business. :(

To me this is step 1 (placing the hand of the proverbial rug) to pulling the rug out on the consumer......the more customers they pull in the more they get you hooked. Then they start boiling the frog. This is a common theme with businesses now-a-days, get people so invested in their company they CAN'T afford to leave......its scary really.

Cornering the market and then jacking prices is not some new strategy or recent development.

Corporate think really, really stupid. So, we offer Prime at $79 a year and we get free shipping. To bring more value to this fee, we start tying in other services like video, music, and books so we can get you to really feel like your getting something for your $79.

We're raising the price to $99 a month because you really like free two day shipping. All that other stuff we've tied to the fee is still lagniappe. ENJOY!

We're raising the price to $119 a month because we realized we have you by the nuts on that free two day shipping thing and now we have you on video, music, and books. GOTCHA!

What a ripoff! Honestly I'd go back to buying local if WalMart and Amazon hadn't put everyone out of business. :(
As someone who has lived in a place where there are many big box stores, and lived where there are only mom-and-pop stores...give me the big box.

I support local business, but I think the Lake Woebegone image many people seem to have of these small proprietorships is purely fiction.

First: mom and pop own the whole block and live in Aspen.

Second: mom and pop's tenants are looking for ways to cut corners and maximize the dollars coming out of your pocket, while minimizing the dollars coming out of theirs.

Third: mom and pop are far more likely to be concerned with their schedule rather than yours. Want a sandwich after 8:30 p.m.? After 9:30?

Not universally true, of course. I patronize many specialty shops, and the knowledge is part of the transaction. Personal relationships are a thing, and important. However, it's often not all it's cracked up to be, and people unreasonably demonize corporate stores.

Id be less pissed about the rate hikes if I knew they would pay their employees enough to not have to be subsidized on Gov Welfare to get by.

I heavily dislike this, but I can't really argue the fact that it is still a hell of a value. I mean it is still cheaper than netflix and the free shipping is a huge bonus. That said, I easily justify the price just in shipping alone.

That would be tempting if I could find a decent program to act like a DVR (I've tried several, most don't seem to capture sound unless I plug the headphone port and none seem to work in the background very well and all seem to require a lot of baby sitting as the timers don't seem to work)...admittedly I haven't tried for two or three years...it was so bad I gave up. No way could I just watch all those commercials.

Sucks to see them raise the price, but I won't cancel, I order to much off Amazon. I've been leaning heavily on Subscibe & Save lately, and saving a good buck with all the stuff I get through there. Cat food & litter, vitamins, toiletries for both the wife and I, adds up quick. I have 5+ items every month, which knocks off 15%, and makes these items cheaper than anywhere else. Big ticket items I usually still check Newegg and Ebay for tax purposes, but using Amazon for the sort of things I used to buy at Wal-Mart means I'm paying tax either way, and with Amazon it's usually cheaper, with the huge bonus of not having to set foot inside a Wal-Mart.
I liked Subscribe and Save but it was usually on the 1st item or two and inevitably the price shoots up significantly. A couple items would stay the same but mostly each product saw a significant gain in price the next shipment. Paid $3.57 this month, next order it is $4.35. Paid five something for a couple of tubes of toothpaste, well next order it is over $7. Paid $16 for some toilet paper, well next order it is over $20. I just didn't like the lack of consistency in pricing. I would find a product I like for a good price but it would always go up. I don't mind 20 cents here or 50 cents there or even a $1 or 2 on bigger ticket items but the disparity from month to month was too great. Some of my mainstays did stay consistent like dog treats or beef jerky but on many other items, I could just go to the supermarket or Walmart because the 15% off did not wash out the item increase.

it's not even 2 day delivery anymore on most items, now 3 day

so 33 cents per day regardless if you use it or not, and it doesn't really get you things any faster

will probably cancel and just use subscribe & save once a month

Price not going up in the Great White North. But the moment it does my membership will end.

Bezos is just taking his due piece of your tax cut to help spread the wealth, think of it as charity for helping subsidize all the half-price memberships they sell.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me... didn't they just raise the price from $79 to $99 like e year ago?

Damn!

Sheesh, I must be cheap, I couldn't even stand it at $79 CAN and cancelled. lol

I prefer to go to the local grocery store, buy from Newegg and eBay sellers and my other main suppliers. We will still use Prime though, because it's convenient to get things quick at work for customers for certain items. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't use it.

Back