PS5 - The Future of Gaming | The Power of V

What do you think of the console design?

• Yay - Very futuristic

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Nay - Looks like a router

Votes: 36 24.3%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 67 45.3%
  • I prefer the refrigerator box

Votes: 25 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Console itself looks terrible and not able to be stacked. I'll probably get GT7 but with how GT didn't go on PS4 and how the "launch title" GT5 turned out to be I'll have to wait and see I guess lol.

As an adult with a Hi-Fi rack in the living room and a parent... If my kid ever said they want that and to set it up in my space I'd tell them to get fucked, get a job and get out. That will stand out like a sore thumb in company of any A/V equipment. Looks like the modem/router combo you would get from a late 2000's ISP.
Meh, I don't really care what it looks like if it functions well and my kids have a blast, I'm happy. I'm more worried about it not getting any use than what it looks like. Then again, I don't have a bunch of fancy A/V equipment either. I'd rather something that didn't look great but worked wonderful than something that looks great and doesn't work worth a crap. I'm more of a function over form guy, but if I have the option of a something that work the same and one looks better, I'll take it. It's just really low on my priorities. That said, I can see this thing clashing with many a living rooms, hopefully they will offer a toned down version.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Love the design, and the games surely looked good, but am I the only one who thought that only a scant few actually showed a glimpse of what the new SSD storage subsystem is capable of? More of them surely could and we haven't seen it all of course, but I'm thinking it may take some time for more developers to wrap their heads around it.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Pragmata 2022
Horizon II Forbidden West

My biggest reveals: Demon's Souls, Horizon: Forbidden West, Project Athia, Spider Man 2 and Resident Evil 8

Console itself looks terrible and not able to be stacked. I'll probably get GT7 but with how GT didn't go on PS4 and how the "launch title" GT5 turned out to be I'll have to wait and see I guess lol.

Looks stackable to me. That curve in the middle starts and ends at the same vertical, so anything flat and longer than that curve can be stacked on top.

The bottom looks flat, so it should have no problem being stacked on top of others.

I saw no games that would be a system seller day one. I also think the console design is terrible. There's going to be a large percentage of users that can't have the console standing vertical in their home setups.

I'd give this a 7/10. I wasn't as blow away by the PS5 unveiling as I was the PS4 unveiling, but it was still good to see game play. I literally said "wow" when the console reveal happened. It's very bold. Sony is very confident going into this generation. And obviously the all digital version was a complete surprise, I never even considered Sony having one.

A lot of the games they showed had next gen texture and polygon detail with current gen lighting which made them very meh looking overall.

I'm going to assume Zero Horizon Dawn 2 is PS5 exclusive, at least for the time being? PC port of the first should be out soon.

I’m fairly confident Spider-Man 2 or whatever will be cross gen. Nothing about that looked next gen.

Demon Souls, R&C and Horizon were the only ones I saw other than Godarmor or whatever the heck it was.

Speaking of which, that game had the WORST trailer I’ve seen in awhile.

You have midevil type characters using magic and armor with gods fighting and your background music is hip hop. That didn’t fit at all.

I saw no games that would be a system seller day one. I also think the console design is terrible. There's going to be a large percentage of users that can't have the console standing vertical in their home setups.

It's obviously on a stand that you don't have to use and can sit it horizontally.

No I mean impossible, like your slow-mo sabrent achieving anything close to 8.5GB/sec transfer rates to your GPU.You'll see what kinds of things that enables starting at 1:00 Pacific. Sony already unloaded all the technical details recently in that long boring presentation that everyone obviously skipped.
Unless Sony plans to put a Linux distro on the PS5 and allow us to run 3rd party benchmarks, then anything Sony says is full of shit. You can't just make SSD's faster by having a ASIC controller that does what Windows and your CPU does.
I can see why a lot of people just won't understand the difference until they see it but it's very apparent that the PS5 will be able to run games that current PCs and even some soon-to-be in existence cannot.
If you believe that shit then I have snake oil that will cure your balding and fix your erectile dysfunction. I can prove it to you by showing you a man playing Spiderman exclusive to the PS4 and then switching him over to the PS5 as his dick gets rock hard and hair grows instantly.
An NVME and an 8GB video card will be just the very first baby steps to playing the new games.
A R9 290 has 8GB of VRAM, so that isn't anything special. An NVME is also nothing special, since the prices have dropped significantly on those. The problem is that SSD's aren't cheap and PC's are going to run into the same problem consoles have when it comes to storage space. I personally still put games on HDD's because loading times aren't an issue for PC users. I can literally load a game faster than I can read the bullshit there is between loading screens in some games.
Within a couple of years on PC we'll be seeing video cards with 512gb and 1tb drives built in with expensive custom SSD controllers, and real-time custom compression circuits, similar to the ones that Sony has designed for the PS5, and games preinstalled on them.
You do realize that 8GB VRAM has been a thing since like 2014 and the PS5 and Xbox Series X are probably going to double the memory of the PS4 and XB1? We're getting to the point where computer tech won't evolve quiet as fast. Also I don't like the word "expensive" when it comes to SSD's.
Steam will let you use your video card as a library drive.
Time to put down the Sony hype pipe.
Those things are coming, and impossible with your current PC, no matter what hardware it has. And only those things are going to get us close to what the PS5 can do right now.
Assuming that you're correct, which you aren't, there is a simple and cheap solution to do what the PS5 does without replacing an entire PC. A PCI Express add-on card that you stick into your PC and just put the SDD's into that. Would I buy one? No, because it's bullshit techno babble from Sony. If this was from AMD, Intel, Realtek, or even Apple, I'd even listen to Apple over Sony. Sony has a history of making huge claims of what their consoles can do and it turns out to be full of shit and the console is slower than a PC power by a potato. If Sony wants to really amaze me then load a game that's also availible on PC and show the loading times. Using exclusive games to the Playstation is just marketing.

Don't care for the design. Just hope the thermals are good. Love me some R&C Zero dawn. Nothing else stood out to me. Since it is a SE and one developed by the FFXV team I expect it to be garbage.

is there going to be a Black version?...the one they showed is covered in too much white...won't it get dirty easily?

It Scratches then Sony releases a matte version version so you wont feel bad about the glossy version which is all scratched up.

Hasn't changed my plans for gaming this gen, wait until all the Sony exclusives I want release buy a used ps5 then sell after a couple months when I beat or get tired of those games. Was hoping to see something that would push my PC experience but I saw something a GTX 1080 ti with a ssd could do in a pasty futuristic failed art project shell.

The PS5 is the most impressive of the two. Massive amounts of fast non volatile storage are available right on the GPU, meaning no loading.

that's great, it's what PC gaming has needed for quite some time now too but it's not a reason to drop $600+ on a console unless you plan to play a good number of game titles attached to the PS platform

will wait for the "slim" version, when they incorporate the optical drive into the black section, get rid of the bulge and offer it in matte

Any word if they will support some kind of smart delivery like xbox or if atleast have all PS4 (digital and physical) games work on it?

Not a fan of the looks at all. But the controller looks dope.

Interesting to see NBA being released this fall(Said PS5 not PS4), so that obviously means PS5 to release a lot earlier than Xmas?

I never got to play the original Demon's Souls, and seeing it run at sub-10fps on the PS3 wasn't exactly a great selling point.
But, if it runs at 60fps on the PS5, then my body is ready.

Looks good. Nice to see some actual gameplay.

Dont care much what it looks like since it will be hidden in a different room.

My only concern is the price. If the cheapest version is more than $600 CAD I’ll probably just get a new GPU.

Interesting to see NBA being released this fall(Said PS5 not PS4), so that obviously means PS5 to release a lot earlier than Xmas?

Not necessarily, that might just be the release date for the game, they’re certainly not going to delay the whole series just for the new console. I’m pretty sure most sports game sales come at the start of their respective seasons, but that might just be a chicken and the egg situation since the two always coincide.

I didn't get to see the presentation and I'll have to go over it, but... I doubt anything they could do could dissuade me from my belief that there is no need for a modern, proprietary "console" any longer. If by some miracle its "This is actually just a pre-fab PC with good hardware and a neat skin, but you can install whatever applications you want for the Linux (or even Windows) OS it uses; or another OS without worry of being banned" I'll recant, but otherwise I can't see any justification from this and - given what other comments seem to be so far - doesn't seem to be the case.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the idea of the "console" is outmoded, no longer serving the needs of the players or in many cases, developers. Decades ago even a $300 (which was a ton for its release!) NES/Famicom had to have special, limited hardware in order to be game ready, compared to a $3000+ PC to come anywhere close. They had to code specifically for that hardware in order makes the most of it because it could in no way run a general use OS and also game on that hardware, at that price point. This paradigm stayed up to and through the PS2-ish era, but everything after that has for the most part been consoles using modified version of off-the-shelf PC hardware, with X360/PS3 era splitting the difference and finally XBOne/PS4 based on AMD APUs of the pre-Zen era. Hell, the Switch is literally an Android Tablet base (Nvidia Shield) SoC, with some admittedly nice peripherals - sure, its more mobile aligned than desktop but that's okay. Now it seems that PS5 and XBSX will be AMD Zen2 + RDNA2 kits, not very different than existing and upcoming PC hardware. We should be wary about any posturing of "better than PC" performance especially given that history has shown this not to be accurate overall, among other issues. Generally consoles are relatively powerful at the time of their launch, but as things continue they're of course somewhat limited because of the advance of PC hardware iterations and updates.

Consoles in the modern era take essentially a similar hardware platform to standard PC/mobile, and then lock it down. You have to use one game format, one online service, one store etc... mostly proprietary stuff. Attempting to expand or mess with that risks a console ban, sadly. This combined with how more and more games are using unified cross platform compatible engines like Unity, Unreal, or Godot, both hardware and software are very similar from console to PC. You're always just dependent on what console manufacturers want to do (ie. Nintendo Switch with its dock and touchscreen practically begs for media player apps like Kodi, or e-readers etc... but Nintendo refuses to support them). I dont' see any reason for there to be proprietary, middleman-controlled consoles any longer. Now, this does not mean that the PC experience can't be refined to give more of what people usually associate with the 'good aspects" of consoles. For instance, Steam's Big Picture mode (and Steam OS ) for that matter , gives a controller friendly gaming focused UI display and frankly does a great job of it. The similarity of console hardware and engines/software to PC also means that there's less difference between developing for PC and for the single hardware configuration of the console platform; its not a huge issue these days. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo could still sell their "consoles", but instead they'd be more like SFF/HTPCs perhaps, pre-assembled with their unique cases/peripherals and installed with their skinned OS of choice, but the user could install another OS or upgrade with standard PC hardware (so long as it fit of course; its likely to be a mATX/mITX sorta setup) without losing anything. Furthermore, console manufacturers no longer need to accept the burden of maintaining an entire ecosystem and costs thereof while game devs don't have to jump through hoops and pay the fees required for console distribution.

Perhaps its time to be done with these incompatible walled gardens and focus instead on improving a universal PC (or in the case of portables or low power, mobile) experience without this kind of fragmentation.

Edit: I've now seen the presentation and overall a lot of it was game videos. The PS5 itself looks somewhat futuristic in a very "This is what people a decade or two ago would think a 2020 console would look like" kinda way, which is kinda neat. Its noteworthy that they have both a "digital edition" with no disc drive and a version that accepts discs. Peripherals seem nice enough but nothing earth shattering.

Last edited:

I'll wait for the PS5/GT7 bundle like they had with PS2/GT3 A-Spec. Really got shafted buying the PS4 and then only getting GT Sport this entire lifecycle.

Anyone having issues viewing the live stream on Android TV or their TV's YouTube app? Keeps telling me an error occurred. Seems to be a common issue lately. I had to cast it from my phone to get it to play and it looks worse that way and has less controls.
The app on WebOS just updated a couple days ago and I was also getting an error trying to load the stream on my LG C8. It said it was "age restricted" even though I was signed into my Google/Youtube account with age defined.
Holy fuggin shit guise, Bugsnax just sold me on PS5. 😝
The space game one is a maybe for me.
The real winner is bug snacks that better be on pc.
Bugsnax is also coming to PC via Epic Games.

What's with the lame title change and poll? I don't get the router comparisons.. you can throw antennas on existing and previous consoles and make them look like a router too. I guess people have to reach to compare it to something though, just like any car that has to look like or rip off some other car design as people constantly try to point out.

What's with the lame title change and poll? I don't get the router comparisons.. you can throw antennas on existing and previous consoles and make them look like a router too. I guess people have to reach to compare it to something though, just like any car that has to look like or rip off some other car design as people constantly try to point out.
Better?

1591963306467.png

People compared the Series X to a fridge and Microsoft owned it. No need to be needlessly offended.

No I mean impossible, like your slow-mo sabrent achieving anything close to 8.5GB/sec transfer rates to your GPU.You'll see what kinds of things that enables starting at 1:00 Pacific. Sony already unloaded all the technical details recently in that long boring presentation that everyone obviously skipped.

I can see why a lot of people just won't understand the difference until they see it but it's very apparent that the PS5 will be able to run games that current PCs and even some soon-to-be in existence cannot. An NVME and an 8GB video card will be just the very first baby steps to playing the new games. Within a couple of years on PC we'll be seeing video cards with 512gb and 1tb drives built in with expensive custom SSD controllers, and real-time custom compression circuits, similar to the ones that Sony has designed for the PS5, and games preinstalled on them. Steam will let you use your video card as a library drive. Those things are coming, and impossible with your current PC, no matter what hardware it has. And only those things are going to get us close to what the PS5 can do right now.

Man you are on some strong shit.

Just poking some harmless fun at the console from the memes I've seen about it online. I will give Sony credit for the bold design.

They would have to really screw it up for me to not be in on this at day one. The PS4 has been an ideal complement to my PC and this will continue in that regard. I'm not big on some of the aesthetic choices but more to the point: On the PS4 fan noise and big time heat output have been my complaints and I hope both of these are considerably better on this.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back