PS5 - The Future of Gaming | The Power of V

What do you think of the console design?

• Yay - Very futuristic

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Nay - Looks like a router

Votes: 36 24.3%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 67 45.3%
  • I prefer the refrigerator box

Votes: 25 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Returnal and Ratchet & Clank look pretty nice. Wonder if the Returnal game is what the Dead Space developer was talking about for their announcement. I'm a sucker for anything in a space or alien setting though.
Yup it's the best example of a game designed around the SSD. Don't know how long that effect will last before People will get sick of it though.

No I mean impossible, like your slow-mo sabrent achieving anything close to 8.5GB/sec transfer rates to your GPU.You'll see what kinds of things that enables starting at 1:00 Pacific. Sony already unloaded all the technical details recently in that long boring presentation that everyone obviously skipped.

I can see why a lot of people just won't understand the difference until they see it but it's very apparent that the PS5 will be able to run games that current PCs and even some soon-to-be in existence cannot. An NVME and an 8GB video card will be just the very first baby steps to playing the new games. Within a couple of years on PC we'll be seeing video cards with 512gb and 1tb drives built in with expensive custom SSD controllers, and real-time custom compression circuits, similar to the ones that Sony has designed for the PS5, and games preinstalled on them. Steam will let you use your video card as a library drive. Those things are coming, and impossible with your current PC, no matter what hardware it has. And only those things are going to get us close to what the PS5 can do right now.

The only thing that speed from storage to GPU can really change is how fast assets are moved and swapped out. So loading times could be a thing of the past and still have large assets and textures.
There is a game called No Man's Sky that tries to "eliminate" loading in that everything transitions seamlessly as you wander/fly around and already does a pretty good job at it.
With faster storage speed, games like No Man's Sky (open world games) will be able to be much more detailed as far as textures and still maintain seamless transitions when swapping out assets from GPU memory.

GPU speed and power are more important than asset swapping speed....
Its like having an RX 5700 or a RTX 2080 Ti with 1TB of VRAM... Its not going to make "raytracing" any faster at all.

What Sony did was good, but it only solves one bottleneck, when you solve one bottleneck, another appears...
And the only reason the PS5 will be able to "run games that PC cannot" will be because they are Sony exclusives and won't be released on PC.

The art direction is interesting in a lot of these games, aside from the clown-puke day-glow color palettes.

So far its GT7, Spiderman, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet and Clank for me. Microsoft is making it easy for me for next gen since almost everything will be on PC and I have game pass ultimate.

They'd better have a black color option. A pure white console is enough to make me not buy it. Aesthetics are important to me.

Console looks nice to me, much better than Series X at least. I would prefer an all black or darker one, but the white looks good too.

I wonder how much cheaper the digital edition will be too. I might consider it since I've went all digital on my consoles anyways.

I feel betrayed. So I say f em. I Expected GT7 for PS4, that's why I bought the system in part.

The only other game that is even remotely interesting is Horizon, but I just can't get excited for it. HZD ran its course, I don't feel the need for more of the same. And the narration makes it seem obnoxious. Girl saves world single handedly, not a fan of that premise. Besides it will come to PC in 3 years :p

The space game one is a maybe for me.
The real winner is bug snacks that better be on pc.

Yeah I have a feeling the instant loading effect is going to get played the hell out.

Playstation 5 wins best console design i've ever seen.

Annotation 2020-06-11 171858.jpg

The only games for me were Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank and Horizon. Maybe the Project Athena.

Everything else was either a PS4 cross gen title or something I don’t care about.

The system design looks fishy to me. I want to see the tear down badly now. The XSX will be whisper quiet at most. This thing I have serious doubts about.

Yup it's the best example of a game designed around the SSD. Don't know how long that effect will last before People will get sick of it though.
Yeah I have a feeling the instant loading effect is going to get played the hell out.

What an odd and pessimistic concern to focus on and that was only really demonstrated on one game that they could probably do on current gen hardware if they had to.

Spider-man, Horizon 2, And Demon Souls are immediate buys if I get a PS5 (ah who am I kidding when I get). :) Then a couple of other interesting ones whose names escape me. I hope it can lay on it's side cause I don't want a tower next to my TV. Still kind of want a black one though like all my past playstation devices (after the first one).

Games looked really good. Not earth shattering in terms of graphics, but solid nonetheless.

The console looks, um, I don't know if I like the design. Looks too much like Alienware or that forced futuristic look.

Also, does it have to stand up? I'd rather put it on the side like normal.

GT7, Ratchet and Horizon the three that piqued my interest.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I really don't get these tower designs.
Everything in most entertainment centers favor horizontal placement.
Also placing it horizontal prevents it from falling over when being bumped.
Every time I mess with my receiver, I almost always knock over my Switch lol.
Also, the Xbox might have the PS5 beat as far as cooling solution performance by the looks of it.

The design looks fine standing vertically but horizontally it looks awkward. The disc drive version looks funny with the drive bulging out. The real question is how quiet and cool the system will be?

Also, the Xbox might have the PS5 beat as far as cooling solution performance by the looks of it.

To me, it looked pretty obvious that the stand would come off so it can sit horizontally. It just presents better standing up next to all the other accessories.

What an odd and pessimistic concern to focus on and that was only really demonstrated on one game that they could probably do on current gen hardware if they had to.
Didn't say I didn't like it. It's cool. I just think the SSD is going to cause allot of first gen games to use it gratuitously.

The design looks fine standing vertically but horizontally it looks awkward. The disc drive version looks funny with the drive bulging out. The real question is how quiet and cool the system will be?

Indeed, fan noise is my primary concern, esp. considering the first revisions of the PS3, PS4, and PS4 Pro would get pretty loud sometimes.

As an adult with a Hi-Fi rack in the living room and a parent... If my kid ever said they want that and to set it up in my space I'd tell them to get fucked, get a job and get out. That will stand out like a sore thumb in company of any A/V equipment. Looks like the modem/router combo you would get from a late 2000's ISP.

Slim towers just look sexier in pres releases. Nobody is actually going to leave anything more ungainly than the Wii in vertical orientation, uness you have it nailed to the floor! The cooling is typically better horizontal (just physics).

The Xbox Series X is such a chunker that there's no avoiding it's orientation, but I will give Sony credit for creating something with the option of EITHER in it's design.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back