PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

The x86 Amd Ryzen 2 is on the same die as the RDNA2?

My first thought is that there is no way that GPU can be any good if you can cool it and the CPU on the same die.
Welcome to 2013? :p
APUs have been around since the early 2010s, and the PS4 and XBone consoles have all used semi-custom APUs (or rather, SoCs) in this same manner.

That thing is huge, and looks like the old NZXT cases.. ugly

That’s a huge heat sink and going with liquid metal is cool but I still appreciate the Xbox Series X from a design point of view.

Unless you can access the finstack directly after removing the bottom black shroud it’s going to be just as much of a PIA as the PS4 was. Dust traps are meaningless.

I appreciate the easy fan access but the PS4 had to be torn completely apart to access 60% or more of the heat sink fins because going through the fan assembly alone only got 40% or so.

The XSX can be cleaned and put back together in less than 5 minutes. The XSX also has a traditional fan instead of a radial fan like the PS5.

I bet the PS5 is very quiet now but in a year or 2 it’ll start being noticeable. Depending on environment and household it could get bad as far as sound goes. Maybe not as bad as PS4 but it’s going to be far worse than XSX just because anyone can clean it easily.

What they should have done was put a mesh inside the air intake grill that’s slidable in and out that bends with the curves. My dryer has something like that and would help I think.

Last edited:
That’s a huge heat sink and going with liquid metal is cool but I still appreciate the Xbox Series X from a design point of view.

Unless you can access the finstack directly after removing the bottom black shroud it’s going to be just as much of a PIA as the PS4 was. Dust traps are meaningless.

I appreciate the easy fan access but the PS4 had to be torn completely apart to access 60% or more of the heat sink fins because going through the fan assembly alone only got 40% or so.

The XSX can be cleaned and put back together in less than 5 minutes. The XSX also has a traditional fan instead of a radial fan like the PS5.

I bet the PS5 is very quiet now but in a year or 2 it’ll start being noticeable. Depending on environment and household it could get bad as far as sound goes. Maybe not as bad as PS4 but it’s going to be far worse than XSX just because anyone can clean it easily.

What they should have done was put a mesh inside the air intake grill that’s slidable in and out that bends with the curves. My dryer has something like that and would help I think.
It's cute you think people going to clean either. Most people stick it in a enclosed hole and never think about it again. Going to be even worse with digital only consoles. No reason to get close to the system again.

That said: both consoles will be pushing mid to upper mid range GPUs and mid range CPUs. This is FAR better then the PS4 and XBONE which had low to lower mid GPUs attached to basically 8 garbage CPUs that could barely keep up with an Athlon 64 from 10 years prior.
Eh, it wasn't quite that bad, but each of the 8 Jaguar cores was the rough equivalent, even in Cinebench, to a Pentium 4 at 3Ghz.
So really, it was like having 8 Pentium 4 CPUs in the console, which in full-SMP was the rough equivalent to a Haswell dual-core i3 at roughly 3GHz.

This was 'ok' for 2013, but not so great in 2020, and the refresh consoles' increased clock speed was a very modest boost at best.
This is an excellent video to show just how CPU-bottlenecked the PS4/Pro was with Bloodborne when it is unlocked to 60fps:

The new consoles certainly won't have this issue, and it is going to be interesting to see just what exactly they are going to be capable of, both with gameplay and benchmarks.

Welcome to 2013? :p
APUs have been around since the early 2010s, and the PS4 and XBone consoles have all used semi-custom APUs (or rather, SoCs) in this same manner.
Right but GPU dies have gotten a lot bigger since 2013 and "big navi" was supposed to be big. That APU doesn't look bigger than the 3080 die.

Right but GPU dies have gotten a lot bigger since 2013 and "big navi" was supposed to be big. That APU doesn't look bigger than the 3080 die.

Given the price difference and power consumption limitations, that expectation might have been, uhm, overly optimistic. I am fairly certain, though, that it will thrash the 3080's lauded price/performance ratio.

It's cute you think people going to clean either. Most people stick it in a enclosed hole and never think about it again. Going to be even worse with digital only consoles. No reason to get close to the system again.

I don’t care what other people think, I care about what I think and what’s functional. I’m still buying a PS5 and foregoing the XSX since I have a PC. I just wish they weren’t so Japanese lol.

I don’t care what other people think, I care about what I think and what’s functional. I’m still buying a PS5 and foregoing the XSX since I have a PC. I just wish they weren’t so Japanese lol.

Mark Cerny, the lead architect for the PS5, isn't Japanese. In fact, he's American.

Mind you, people also griped that the PS4 and XB1 were the equivalent of outgoing mid-range GPUs, and yet developers managed to wring out some pretty impressive visuals.

It's difficult to compare like for like due to the heavy optimization for console games. It'll take a while for developers to release games that truly make the most of the PS5 and XSX, but they'll probably look better than you'd expect (the UE5 demo is just one example).
Sure they'll look good but at 30 fps. Digital Foundry is going by visual results, which means it looks like a 2060 Super even with console optimizations. As much as people want to talk about the magic of console optimizations, it just doesn't exist. I can prove it to you with a couple of simple videos. The reason for the low performance is Ray-Tracing. As impressive as these consoles are, their performance looks weak when you take Ray-Tracing into consideration.

PS5 should be at least as fast as a 5700xt in raster performance. It has 36 cu's but, architecture refinements and a 2233 MHz boost clock should keep it swinging pretty hard. (5700xt has a 1905 MHz boost clock).
I don't buy that. We still don't know how AMD is doing Ray-Tracing. Ray-Tracing is going to slow down the GPU, not speed it up. Sure there's refinements and bigger clock speed but now there's extra hardware for Ray-Tracing.

Sure they'll look good but at 30 fps. Digital Foundry is going by visual results, which means it looks like a 2060 Super even with console optimizations. As much as people want to talk about the magic of console optimizations, it just doesn't exist. I can prove it to you with a couple of simple videos. The reason for the low performance is Ray-Tracing. As impressive as these consoles are, their performance looks weak when you take Ray-Tracing into consideration.

Show me the $250 PC now that can run Horizon or Death Stranding on console settings. Hell, show me a 6 year old $400 PC that can do that. As much as you want to pretend console specific optimizations don't exist, there is ample evidence that they do. All one has to do is look at the games. Even Doom and it's sequel aren't going to run as good as consoles on similarly priced hardware.

BTW: DF's video is a good starting point, but it's flawed in one major point. We have no idea how RDNA 2 handles ray tracing. We know RDNA 2 and, by extension, both consoles have dedicated RT hardware but we have no idea how it stacks up to Turing. If RDNA 2 is more efficient at RT than Turing it will invalidate the comparison to some degree, same if it handles RT worse than Turing. I have no problem believing that a $500 console has RT roughly comparable to a 2060 Super, but it's all guessing games right now until hardware is in people's hands.

That said: Yeah, there's no way either console is keeping up with PC RT. They're liking going to beat any similarly priced PC, at least for now, but it is what it is.

I don't buy that. We still don't know how AMD is doing Ray-Tracing. Ray-Tracing is going to slow down the GPU, not speed it up. Sure there's refinements and bigger clock speed but now there's extra hardware for Ray-Tracing.
Ray Tracing doesn't change what I said. 5700xt doesn't have RTX.

The PS5 at worst, will be as good as a 5700 (36cus, very nearly the same boost clock). But with the RDNA2 refinements, I bet it will be more like a 5700xt. I could be wrong.

Either way, the PS5 will be equivalent to those cards---without RTX.

With RTX, sure, that's going to slow them down. We see that with Turing and Ampere, too. But at that point, you are doing something a 5700/xt can't do.

Also, its pretty trendy now for a fair chunk of console games to ship with "performance" modes. I would not be surprised if we see a fair chunk of console games with modes which either turn RTX off completely, or pair it back to one crucial effect. Rather than multiple.

Also, there will undoubtedly be console games that will ship without RTX at all.

There's been a lot of movement in the console sector the past few years, to add options for gamers.

Show me the $250 PC now that can run Horizon or Death Stranding on console settings. Hell, show me a 6 year old $400 PC that can do that
I don't know about those games but Crysis Remastered has Ray-Tracing working on a Athlon APU. It's working on a $50 APU.

As much as you want to pretend console specific optimizations don't exist, there is ample evidence that they do. All one has to do is look at the games. Even Doom and it's sequel aren't going to run as good as consoles on similarly priced hardware.
I showed you evidence for my argument, now you show evidence for yours. One of the videos I posted is the PC version of Doom 2016 running at 60 fps with Ultra settings on Linux running on the PS4. Clearly the PC version of Doom 2016 has no console optimizations but it runs just fine on a console running Linux. Not even a native port to Linux.
That said: Yeah, there's no way either console is keeping up with PC RT. They're liking going to beat any similarly priced PC, at least for now, but it is what it is.
A PS4 is now dirt cheap but also at the end of it's life. When the PS5 is released at $500 then we be talking, and RTX 2060's can be had for cheap.

Having coded for consoles and other fixed platforms this is just not true. If you instead want to discuss the prevalence of such optimizations in the industry be my guest.
PC's have optimizations too, assuming developers sit down and do the work. For example Nvidia has had NVAPI, which greatly increases performance on their hardware. With API's like DX12 and Vulkan, the console advantage of optimized code is not a unique advantage. When Digital Foundry says it performs like a RTX 2060 Super, then that's including all console optimization magic as well. If it doesn't do much then it wasn't much of an advantage to begin with.

With RTX, sure, that's going to slow them down. We see that with Turing and Ampere, too. But at that point, you are doing something a 5700/xt can't do.
Keep in mind that Crysis Remastered can run Ray-Tracing on a 5700XT, but obviously not as good as a RTX or RDNA2.0 based card. We don't know how Ray-Tracing was implemented by AMD just yet.

Also, there will undoubtedly be console games that will ship without RTX at all.
Having Ray-Tracing hardware just existing is going to change the architecture and it may not be for the best in terms of rasterization. Look at the RTX cards compared to GTX where the transistors nearly doubled but not the rasterization performance. Half the GPU is there specifically for Ray-Tracing. So in terms of rasterization performance per transistor the RTX cards are doing poorly. Marketing will say anything to try to make their products look special, and nothing official has been released from AMD just yet. Wonder why RTX cards have sold so poorly? Not a very big performance increase over the Pascal GPU's.

Last edited:
Mark Cerny, the lead architect for the PS5, isn't Japanese. In fact, he's American.

He probably had little to do with the design. He didn’t see the PS4 until it was unveiled along with everyone else.

He probably had little to do with the design. He didn’t see the PS4 until it was unveiled along with everyone else.
This. I have a hard time believing a Japanese company would have a American design their system. He probably had insight on the NA version at most.

This. I have a hard time believing a Japanese company would have a American design their system. He probably had insight on the NA version at most.

He’s the LEAD SYSTEM ARCHITECT. He’s literally the person that has had multiple GDC conferences solely about the design of the hardware for both the PS5 AND the PS4. Jesus you people and your insane conspiracy theories.

Edit: He was given Ken Kuturagi’s job after the failure of the PS3. Also, this is the same Japanese company that at one point had an American in charge of the entire company and prior to his retirement had the Japanese-American former head of PlayStation as CEO of the company. This is also the same Japanese company that just recently handed over the reigns of the entire PS division to the co-founder of Guerrila Games.

He’s the LEAD SYSTEM ARCHITECT. He’s literally the person that has had multiple GDC conferences solely about the design of the hardware for both the PS5 AND the PS4. Jesus you people and your insane conspiracy theories.

Edit: He was given Ken Kuturagi’s job after the failure of the PS3. Also, this is the same Japanese company that at one point had an American in charge of the entire company and prior to his retirement had the Japanese-American former head of PlayStation as CEO of the company. This is also the same Japanese company that just recently handed over the reigns of the entire PS division to the co-founder of Guerrila Games.
There nothing tinfoil hat about it. Just strange for a company that is very xenophobic to allow a outside manage one of their major product. I am ignorant what really goes on behind the scenes at Sony.

There nothing tinfoil hat about it. Just strange for a company that is very xenophobic to allow a outside manage one of their major product. I am ignorant what really goes on behind the scenes at Sony.

Why do you apply xenophobia to Sony? Or is this some racist "all Japanese are xenophobic" nonsense?

Why do you apply xenophobia to Sony? Or is this some racist "all Japanese are xenophobic" nonsense?
They like our money no doubt but rather not deal with outsiders directly. It is a primary reason why MS fails hard in Japan. Sure it is not bad as years ago but still exist.

They like our money no doubt but rather not deal with outsiders directly. It is a primary reason why MS fails hard in Japan. Sure it is not bad as years ago but still exist.

It's more a culture of "Japan first" than one of seeing outsiders as lesser or to be hated. Though, even that has eroded as the old guard is replaced by the younger generations. MS has failed because they've never known how to market to Japan. They assumed they could show up and be accepted just because they're Microsoft. It doesn't help that mobile and handheld are king over there, along with a lot of the genres that MS is strong in not appealing as much to the Japanese public. McDonalds, Apple, Levi, Nike, and many other western brands have done incredibly well in Japan, because the people in charge of getting those products introduced into the country adapted to what the people like.

Edit: Also, American movies are very popular over there. A full half of the highest grossing films in Japan come from American movie studios and they account for over half of the top 20.

Cerny was lead Systems Architect for Vita, PS4/Pro and now PS5. My comment was about the cooling/design of the console itself. Like I said he didn’t see the actual system design until everyone else for PS4.

PS5 is wholeheartedly a Japanese design as far as its manufacturing and looks. Cerny might have a Japanese wife and speak fluent Japanese but that’s pure Japanese in its approach, over engineering, etc.

Mark Cerny put the architecture on paper and realized the vision. Someone else designed the layout, cooling, shape, etc.

I guess I could be wrong but if the PS4 roadmap was followed I doubt it.

PC's have optimizations too, assuming developers sit down and do the work. For example Nvidia has had NVAPI, which greatly increases performance on their hardware. With API's like DX12 and Vulkan, the console advantage of optimized code is not a unique advantage. When Digital Foundry says it performs like a RTX 2060 Super, then that's including all console optimization magic as well. If it doesn't do much then it wasn't much of an advantage to begin with.
Of course PCs have optimizations too, but these are of a more generic nature and not what I was referring to. Optimizing for 6 or so console SKUs or dozens of GPUs with different architectures/quirks and models paired with dozens of different CPUs are quite different beasts.
It is feasible for a developer to tweak configurations and optimize codepaths to leverage each console specific advantages and avoid its bottlenecks. While doing the same level of performance optimization for non fixed hardware is just impossible or incredible impractical.
If you grab some 2013 hardware similar to either console and try to run RDR2 on it you will not get the same level of performance the consoles offer.
Not all developers are Rockstar but most AAA developers have leveraged some level of console-specific optimizations in their titles.
Console/fixed-hardware specific optimizations do exist and have allowed consoles' hardware to punch somewhat above its weight comparing to PC equivalent hardware.

It's more a culture of "Japan first" than one of seeing outsiders as lesser or to be hated. Though, even that has eroded as the old guard is replaced by the younger generations. MS has failed because they've never known how to market to Japan. They assumed they could show up and be accepted just because they're Microsoft. It doesn't help that mobile and handheld are king over there, along with a lot of the genres that MS is strong in not appealing as much to the Japanese public. McDonalds, Apple, Levi, Nike, and many other western brands have done incredibly well in Japan, because the people in charge of getting those products introduced into the country adapted to what the people like.

Edit: Also, American movies are very popular over there. A full half of the highest grossing films in Japan come from American movie studios and they account for over half of the top 20.
That was Microsoft's perpetual problem during the Ballmer era (and even now, to some extent): it acted as if all humans were genetically preprogrammed to love Microsoft as much as Ballmer did, and didn't do much to really understand a market. Mind you, I suspect Microsoft was always going to face an uphill battle given the deep roots gaming has in Japan.

Of course PCs have optimizations too, but these are of a more generic nature and not what I was referring to. Optimizing for 6 or so console SKUs or dozens of GPUs with different architectures/quirks and models paired with dozens of different CPUs are quite different beasts.
It is feasible for a developer to tweak configurations and optimize codepaths to leverage each console specific advantages and avoid its bottlenecks. While doing the same level of performance optimization for non fixed hardware is just impossible or incredible impractical.
Optimization ranges in many levels but for this discussion we're talking about how consoles can avoid overhead from drivers that PC's have to deal with. Driver overhead means your graphics performance is very much limited by your CPU performance, while on console you can just write straight to the GPU and this isn't much of a problem. With the introduction of DX12 and Vulkan this has mostly been fixed by letting the GPU handle some of the driver functionality instead of the CPU. This is why Vulkan is so amazing for emulation since emulators put even more overhead onto the CPU, but with Vulkan you can actually do a lot of this directly on the GPU.

Of course consoles have enjoyed tweaks like hacking the PS1 to use more memory or how Nintendo has forgotten to compile Mario 64 with the optimizations turned on, but since modern consoles are very PC like then these things are in the past. Distant past.

If you grab some 2013 hardware similar to either console and try to run RDR2 on it you will not get the same level of performance the consoles offer.
Looks OK to me. The GPU is slower but the CPU is faster.

Console/fixed-hardware specific optimizations do exist and have allowed consoles' hardware to punch somewhat above its weight comparing to PC equivalent hardware.
My evidence suggests otherwise.[/quote][/QUOTE]

With the introduction of DX12 and Vulkan this has mostly been fixed by letting the GPU handle some of the driver functionality instead of the CPU.
Of course consoles have enjoyed tweaks like hacking the PS1 to use more memory or how Nintendo has forgotten to compile Mario 64 with the optimizations turned on, but since modern consoles are very PC like then these things are in the past. Distant past.
They are not in the distant past.
DX12 and Vulkan have brought some sweet direct to metal performance goodness to the PC for sure. But fixed hardware optimization goes way beyond driver overhead. As a developer you can know the quirks, advantages and disadvantages of each SKU and can tweak your code to that hardware.

My evidence suggests otherwise
It in fact does not. In the video you posted that setup does 1024x768p (0.8 MPixels) with low settings and sits mostly around 25~28fps on open areas. (There's no city footage)

Xbox One S (with DDR3 and no GDDR) does 1536x864p ( with steady 30fps on open areas and 26~28 fps in cities. (DF Video)

Playstation 4 (has a better GPU than the 7700 in your video) does 1080p with steady 30fps on open areas and 25~28 fps in cities. (DF Video)

The consoles push way more pixels 1.3 vs 0.8 MP (+62%) for the Xbox One and 2.1 vs 0.8 MP (+163%) for the Playstation 4 and with a better framerate.
(I couldn't confirm but textures were higher on the consoles and some other settings appeared better than low, but we can even ignore that)

Both consoles are clearly outperforming that system, which suggests that there are some specific console / fixed-hardware optimizations at play.

It in fact does not. In the video you posted that setup does 1024x768p (0.8 MPixels) with low settings and sits mostly around 25~28fps on open areas. (There's no city footage)

Xbox One S (with DDR3 and no GDDR) does 1536x864p ( with steady 30fps on open areas and 26~28 fps in cities. (DF Video)

Playstation 4 (has a better GPU than the 7700 in your video) does 1080p with steady 30fps on open areas and 25~28 fps in cities. (DF Video)
I choose that machine because it has a weak CPU along with a weak GPU. It still runs just fine for having a weaker GPU compared to the PS4. The equivalent to a PS4 is a Radeon HD 7850 and almost everyone puts a much faster CPU with it, which isn't exactly close to a PS4. But yes, a Radeon HD 7850 can run RDR2 at 1080p at 30fps... with a Ryzen CPU. What I'd like to find is if someone ran RDR2 Windows version on the PS4, but nobody seems to have tried.

But yes, a Radeon HD 7850 can run RDR2 at 1080p at 30fps... with a Ryzen CPU.
That video has the 7850 with similar performance to the PS4 but using a 3600X vs a Jaguar! Which makes the console result above what its hardware would indicate.
It still runs just fine for having a weaker GPU compared to the PS4
The consoles are clearly outperforming the system you presented in the previous video. If you want to ignore the PS4 due to the better GPU that's fine. Let's just look at the Xbox One S which is very similar to that system but with weaker RAM (DDR3 on Xbox vs GDDR5 on the GPU on the PC)
The PC renders 1024x768 (0.8MP) and sits mostly around 25~28fps in the video you provided (open areas).
The Xbox One S renders 1536x864p (1.3MP) at steady 30fps on open areas. Its outputting 63% more pixels and around 20% higher framerate.

The Xbox console has equivalent hardware and presents considerable better resolution and better framerate. There are definitely some specific console / fixed-hardware optimizations at play.

It’s be easier on you guys to just ignore him. He’s been ignoring facts about console performance for at least months now, in all the other ps5 threads.

some people just feel personally threatened by the idea of a console capable of playing games better than a pc of the era for some reason.

By middle of the console lifecycle mid range PCs will start to have more power than what’s on tap in these consoles, and then games will start to “look better” on PC again, and eventually we’ll get PC ports of 3-year-old console exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn, and then all the PCMR types will say “see? PC is better!!!!!11”. (And none of them will be playing it on a $400 gaming rig they built in 2013 and haven’t upgraded in 7 years).

No amount of “$2000 PC from 2020 is not comparable to $400 console from 2013” will ever get through to those types, the logic just isn’t there.

this despite the fact that it has been the same cycle since PS2/Xbox in 2000/2001. /shrug. I guess if you only ever play on PC you wouldn’t know that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My evidence suggests otherwise.

Denying reality is not evidence. It's a simple fact that the less configurations you have to program for the more specialized optimizations you can do. This a just plain logic.

PS: In your last reply to me you mentioned a 2060. A 2060 can't do hardware ray-tracing, it's automatically out of the equation.

Denying reality is not evidence. It's a simple fact that the less configurations you have to program for the more specialized optimizations you can do. This a just plain logic.

PS: In your last reply to me you mentioned a 2060. A 2060 can't do hardware ray-tracing, it's automatically out of the equation.
Wait a RTX 2060?

It’s be easier on you guys to just ignore him. He’s been ignoring facts about console performance for at least months now, in all the other ps5 threads.
And yet I've been right. Remember when I said a RTX 2060 is the equivalent to a PS5 and you can pick it up for $300?
some people just feel personally threatened by the idea of a console capable of playing games better than a pc of the era for some reason.
The only time that ever happened was when the PS1/Saturn/N64 came out and the PC was behind in graphics. When the 3Dfx Voodoo one came out that's a different story but for a short time the consoles had the edge.
By middle of the console lifecycle mid range PCs will start to have more power than what’s on tap in these consoles, and then games will start to “look better” on PC again, and eventually we’ll get PC ports of 3-year-old console exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn, and then all the PCMR types will say “see? PC is better!!!!!11”.
GTX 970 was released in September of 2014 and was $330 and can do 1080p 60fps with max settings at the time. The PS4 was released Holiday season of 2013 for $400 and couldn't do 1080p 60fps. When Nvidia releases the RTX 3060 it'll be faster than a Xbox Series X for $350. The RTX 3050 will be faster than a PS4 for $250. Write this down for when I'm correct again and I gotta point it out to you.

PS4 games on PC is a huge blow to consoles because it's like Sony admitting that PC is now a big enough platform to profit from that they can no longer ignore it. PC gaming is profitably enough that Sony is forced to port their games or risk losing out, because there's a lot of people like me who will never buy a console and game exclusively on PC.
(And none of them will be playing it on a $400 gaming rig they built in 2013 and haven’t upgraded in 7 years).
....No

The only time that ever happened was when the PS1/Saturn/N64 came out and the PC was behind in graphics. When the 3Dfx Voodoo one came out that's a different story but for a short time the consoles had the edge.
Not quite, the 360 had a far more powerful CPU and GPU than any single GPU (non-Crossfire/SLI) configuration for PC back in late 2005 when it released.
It didn't last long, though, as within a year more powerful GPUs were released that eclipsed it, but for that short time, the 360 had the most powerful gaming hardware on the market.

PS4 games on PC is a huge blow to consoles because it's like Sony admitting that PC is now a big enough platform to profit from that they can no longer ignore it. PC gaming is profitably enough that Sony is forced to port their games or risk losing out, because there's a lot of people like me who will never buy a console and game exclusively on PC.
You're really overstating the case here.

This doesn't mean that many PlayStation games will come to the PC, or that the releases will come soon after the console version's launch (Horizon Zero Dawn certainly wasn't). If you end up waiting a year or more, especially if there's just a handful of games that get this treatment, it may be just about scooping up "leftover" revenue and convincing PC gamers that they should get a PlayStation to enjoy those games sooner.

Yes, there are some people who won't play on consoles, but the strategy isn't a "huge blow" to living room gaming at this stage. You can make a case for that if a game like God of War 5 arrives on PC shortly after the PS5 release; not if Sony decides to release it long after console gamers have moved on.

I watched the entire video before commenting, so I really have no idea what you're getting at.

A design using a captive screw (with a spring to keep it recessed when not in use) makes WAY more sense to me than their chosen solution (There are plenty of cheap LCD monitors that use this solution for mounting their bases). Also, see bigdogchris's comment above.

Nice try at calling someone out for no reason, though (y)
It has storage for the screw, if you lose it your mother probably still ties your shoes.

Not quite, the 360 had a far more powerful CPU and GPU than any single GPU (non-Crossfire/SLI) configuration for PC back in late 2005 when it released.
It didn't last long, though, as within a year more powerful GPUs were released that eclipsed it, but for that short time, the 360 had the most powerful gaming hardware on the market.
How you figure that? The PowerPC CPU's in both the 360 and PS3 were in-order. Meaning they were the equivalent of a the PowerPC version of a Intel Atom. Sure it was 3Ghz but the Xbox One and PS4 are running at 1.6Ghz. The GPU is comparable to a X1900/X1950 XT or the 7800/7900GTX, which is probably why those consoles did so well for years because those graphic cards weren't cheap back then. The X1900 cards were $250 and more while the GTX 7800 cards were even more money. It was a no brainer to buy a console back then.

This doesn't mean that many PlayStation games will come to the PC, or that the releases will come soon after the console version's launch (Horizon Zero Dawn certainly wasn't). If you end up waiting a year or more, especially if there's just a handful of games that get this treatment, it may be just about scooping up "leftover" revenue and convincing PC gamers that they should get a PlayStation to enjoy those games sooner.
I don't expect to see Sony release any more games on PC, at least not for years anyway. Pretty clear Sony was trying to make a quick buck while trying to open up PC gamers to the idea of the Playstation platform. What I do expect to see is studios that Sony owns to break away and release games to all platforms. PC is one thing but there's also Nintendo as well. PS4 was a big deal for market share but will the PS5 also have a large market presence? I don't think the PS5 will be as popular as the PS4. The $500 cost and the $400 model not able to play used games will deter some people. Lets not forget the $70 price for games. Demon Souls is an 11 year old game that is just made slightly better and costs $70?
Yes, there are some people who won't play on consoles, but the strategy isn't a "huge blow" to living room gaming at this stage. You can make a case for that if a game like God of War 5 arrives on PC shortly after the PS5 release; not if Sony decides to release it long after console gamers have moved on.
If Sony makes a decent profit releasing games on PC then it'll go from 7 years later release to PC, to timed exclusives. We can see how well timed exclusives have worked for the Xbox platform. Why you think Microsoft is buying ZeniMax? Microsoft will force some of their games to either be exclusive to the Xbox platform or at the very least a timed exclusive.

Also stop with the "living room gaming" thing, we all know you can hook up a PC to your living room TV. I do it, grandma does it, everyone does it. It hasn't been a console exclusive thing since the creation of the HDMI port.

How you figure that? The PowerPC CPU's in both the 360 and PS3 were in-order. Meaning they were the equivalent of a the PowerPC version of a Intel Atom. Sure it was 3Ghz but the Xbox One and PS4 are running at 1.6Ghz. The GPU is comparable to a X1900/X1950 XT or the 7800/7900GTX, which is probably why those consoles did so well for years because those graphic cards weren't cheap back then. The X1900 cards were $250 and more while the GTX 7800 cards were even more money. It was a no brainer to buy a console back then.

I don't expect to see Sony release any more games on PC, at least not for years anyway. Pretty clear Sony was trying to make a quick buck while trying to open up PC gamers to the idea of the Playstation platform. What I do expect to see is studios that Sony owns to break away and release games to all platforms. PC is one thing but there's also Nintendo as well. PS4 was a big deal for market share but will the PS5 also have a large market presence? I don't think the PS5 will be as popular as the PS4. The $500 cost and the $400 model not able to play used games will deter some people. Lets not forget the $70 price for games. Demon Souls is an 11 year old game that is just made slightly better and costs $70?

If Sony makes a decent profit releasing games on PC then it'll go from 7 years later release to PC, to timed exclusives. We can see how well timed exclusives have worked for the Xbox platform. Why you think Microsoft is buying ZeniMax? Microsoft will force some of their games to either be exclusive to the Xbox platform or at the very least a timed exclusive.

Also stop with the "living room gaming" thing, we all know you can hook up a PC to your living room TV. I do it, grandma does it, everyone does it. It hasn't been a console exclusive thing since the creation of the HDMI port.
MS has already stated and then acted upon statements, that their exclusives now release simultaneously for PC and console. Depending upon the specific development progress of a couple of the games which they just acquired---there may be a small delay to PC versions. But it will be due to development not exactly being parallel in the workflow at those brands. Not due to MS holding them back. And eventually, MS will inject money and best practices, to get all of their new brands into a workflow which keeps the PC and console versions concurrent with eachother.

As far as your comments about Sony----it sounds like maybe you just don't like Sony? PlayStation is one of the absolute most popular and most mentioned brands in the world. They will not have a large problem, selling PS5's. Indeed, the higher release price tag will keep some people from buying right away. But there are a lot of other factors at play, here. And ultimately, I would expect a price drop next year. Which will soak up the people who waited.

Xbox has never outsold Playstation in world wide sales. 360 did outsell in the U.S. However, MS was not able to keep that momentum with Xbox One. What they are doing now is an interesting tactic. And I do not think the goal is to win the console race, over Sony. I think the tactic is acknowledging that gaming is bigger than ever. PC gaming is bigger than ever. And they are going for that overall cash.

Sony games on PC: I think it will increase. Again, PC gaming is bigger than ever. Sony makes good games. PC gamers want more good games and more types of games. I think sales and also social interest in Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn, will ultimately be a final prove to Sony that it is no longer the days where console ports don't sell on PC. But, I think the reason they are doing it in the first place, is because they dropped the ball on Demon's Souls and now Dark Souls is a major brand and sells really well on PC, too.

At the least, they would be stupid to not actually do a PC port of Demon's Souls remake.

And on that, its a complete remake. Indeed, the general gameplay will be very similar. But everything else about the game is drastically improved. Its not a touched up remaster. Its full budget remake. It warrants a full price. If $70 is the new full price standard, so be it. This remake was not short changed in development. The Demon's Souls remake is a really big deal. As I said, the Souls games are huge, now. There is a ton of interest in this. And this is Sony acting on the fact that they let this slip, years ago.

Back