PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

nguyen704

[H]ard|Gawd
It’s getting close to November, and we are very excited for the launch of PlayStation 5 console. Today, we wanted to give you a sneak peek at the console’s interior, so you can take a look at all of the magic happening inside the PS5 that brings out the beautiful games you’ll experience this holiday season.

We began conceptualizing PS5 in 2015, and we’ve spent the past five years designing and developing the console.

Our team values a well thought out, beautifully designed architecture. Inside the console is an internal structure looking neat and tidy, which means that there aren’t any unnecessary components and the design is efficient. As a result, we’re able to achieve our goal of creating a product with a high degree of perfection and quality.

In this teardown video of the PS5 console, you will be able to see how we have thoughtfully integrated our technology into this console.

We felt it was inevitable to make a generational leap in terms of performance in order to deliver a new, next-generation gaming experience. However, to do so, we had to balance every aspect of the system, from focusing on reducing the noise level to enhancing the cooling capacity, more than ever before.

We’ve also highlighted the mechanism in the video below that we’ve incorporated into the PS5 console to make the operating sounds even quieter. After an extensive and complex trial and error process, we were pleased with the end result and I can not wait for our fans to get their hands on the PS5 console and “hear” it for themselves.

Blog: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/1...-look-at-our-most-transformative-console-yet/

That is really cool but holy balls it is huge! I know the dimensions have already been posted (roughly 15x10x4) but it looks two feet tall in this.

I’ve been a mid-cycle refresh purchaser for the consoles since 360/PS3 so I’ll be waiting for a “slim” version anyways, but I’m actually not sure I could fit both new consoles on my entertainment center if they don’t shrink considerably in a few years.

That is really cool but holy balls it is huge! I know the dimensions have already been posted (roughly 15x10x4) but it looks two feet tall in this.

I’ve been a mid-cycle refresh purchaser for the consoles since 360/PS3 so I’ll be waiting for a “slim” version anyways, but I’m actually not sure I could fit both new consoles on my entertainment center if they don’t shrink considerably in a few years.
I am not concerned with the size. I want a cool and quiet system.

That's a very small person

Same. I'm glad Sony isn't messing around with acoustics this time after the rather loud PS3 and PS4 launch consoles. I'm pretty sure MS has out-engineered them this time though with the considerably smaller Series X and initial reports of it being inaudible so far, though no one has been able to play any next-gen games on it yet either to really stress it.

I like the design but boy is it complicated. No wonder their cost are higher than Microsoft's for basically the same thing. MSFT just went super simple.
Wow that has to be the first consumer electronic that I’ve personally seen that utilizes liquid metal as the TIM.
I believe it was leaked out a few months ago.

I suspect that, given their increasingly high wattage, video cards are going to follow suit fairly soon.

Edit: it seems that asus also had that idea for their laptops: https://www.asus.com/us/News/v99k284oxcxofhn9

it's a bit too risky on GPU's until a better design comes up where they can move the capacitors around the chip. laptops and consoles it's fine because they're not "suppose" to be opened..

first impressions:
The Xbox is a work of art in design compared to this monstrosity
So much plastic! everywhere! plastic panels removed to reveal.. another plastic panel, then under that a metal panel
The motherboard is huge! it looks like some kind of part that a company would make, to run tests and debug with before refining it into something more efficient/compact
That squirrel cage-looking fan is going to be noisy. Even at low rpm you'd probably be able to hear it for 3-4 feet away. But maybe they figure most people are sitting 8ft away from their tv, so nobody would notice it?

I'll wait for the matte, (hopefully non-white), slim, more refined version that they'll come out with in 3 or so years

first impressions:
The Xbox is a work of art in design compared to this monstrosity
So much plastic! everywhere! plastic panels removed to reveal.. another plastic panel, then under that a metal panel
The motherboard is huge! it looks like some kind of part that a company would make, to run tests and debug with before refining it into something more efficient/compact
That squirrel cage-looking fan is going to be noisy. Even at low rpm you'd probably be able to hear it for 3-4 feet away. But maybe they figure most people are sitting 8ft away from their tv, so nobody would notice it?

I'll wait for the matte, (hopefully non-white), slim, more refined version that they'll come out with in 3 or so years

All those Japanese hands-on reports suggest the PS5 is pretty quiet. Sony even mentions quietness as important in the teardown.

I wouldn't call it a monstrosity. Microsoft's design is the definition of simplicity, but it's clear Sony put a lot of thought into the PS5's chassis.

I will certainly agree that you can see where the room for improvement might be, though. A more compact mainboard, a less flowery casing, and whatever improvements come as chips get faster and more efficient. I suspect it'll be a rough parallel to the slim PS4 where it's not as visually exciting, but may be more practical (and, of course, cheaper to manufacture).

I mean, I do too, that’s why I wait for the mid cycle refresh. I’ve had both Xbox and PlayStation consoles since ps3/Xbox 360 but didn’t get the first versions of any of them.

I’m just saying, this time around I don’t think I could even fit both in my setup until they physically shrink them.

All those Japanese hands-on reports suggest the PS5 is pretty quiet. Sony even mentions quietness as important in the teardown.

Every squirrel cage fan I've ever heard can ramp up and get pretty loud. But "loud" is subjective, and so what may seem loud and obnoxious for one (me) would think it nbd to someone else. Also do they mean quiet up close? Or quiet from an average of 8ft away? I think most won't be sitting directly next to it while playing, so my guess is they say it is quiet from that range

The x86 Amd Ryzen 2 is on the same die as the RDNA2?

My first thought is that there is no way that GPU can be any good if you can cool it and the CPU on the same die.

Yes, it's an APU. This has been known for a while.

Looks like they have a pretty beefy cooling solution and they're using liquid metal as their TIM.

The Xbox Series X is also reported to be quiet but it's also hot. Something to think about with the PS5.

Seems the performance of the PS5 is no better than a RTX 2060 Super. That seems to fall right into my prediction of the performance of these consoles. That means the Xbox Series X is about a 2070 Super.

Seems the performance of the PS5 is no better than a RTX 2060 Super. That seems to fall right into my prediction of the performance of these consoles. That means the Xbox Series X is about a 2070 Super.

It will probably pull a head of what a 2060 Super can do, simply due to console specific optimizations and the like, but still both are fairly decent for the price.

Jap engineering anno 2020.
177676.jpg

The Xbox Series X is also reported to be quiet but it's also hot. Something to think about with the PS5.

Mind you, people also griped that the PS4 and XB1 were the equivalent of outgoing mid-range GPUs, and yet developers managed to wring out some pretty impressive visuals.

It's difficult to compare like for like due to the heavy optimization for console games. It'll take a while for developers to release games that truly make the most of the PS5 and XSX, but they'll probably look better than you'd expect (the UE5 demo is just one example).

I'd imagine portable refrigerator would look about the same in the back? Looks sexy!
No complaints about the way it looks, they just crammed everything and the one big heatsink touches the side of the case. The fan has to pull air past all those components with that limited ground clearance. No way I'd mount that thing vertically.

I'm not an Xbox guy at all. haven't owned a single Microsoft console, but I have gamed on other people's Xbox's.
That said, I like the way the XSX looks externally; but from everything I hear about the PS5, I'll more greatly appreciate it being cool and quiet (regardless of how it looks). All they need to do is provide a blacked out model at or near launch and that will solve most of my issues with looking at it. And I'm sure in 2-3 years there will be a mini model.

I like the design but boy is it complicated. No wonder their cost are higher than Microsoft's for basically the same thing.
And somehow Sony still couldn't afford to use a captive screw for the base... you know that's gonna get lost real quick...
1602110636839.png

And somehow Sony still couldn't afford to use a captive screw for the base... you know that's gonna get lost real quick...
True, but then the screw would just be doing nothing in there when you bottom mount it.

But yeah, stock up everyone. In 30 years finding the official screw will be like finding a 32x spacer or the steel shim things. I'll be the guy scalping them for $30 a piece on eBayamazonalibaba.com

You should have watched the video instead of posting a comment looking like an idiot.
I watched the entire video before commenting, so I really have no idea what you're getting at.

A design using a captive screw (with a spring to keep it recessed when not in use) makes WAY more sense to me than their chosen solution (There are plenty of cheap LCD monitors that use this solution for mounting their bases). Also, see bigdogchris's comment above.

Nice try at calling someone out for no reason, though (y)

Digital Foundry? LOL Nope. I wouldn't believe a thing they say.

All this did was give me greater respect for the Xbox Series X design.

That said: both consoles will be pushing mid to upper mid range GPUs and mid range CPUs. This is FAR better then the PS4 and XBONE which had low to lower mid GPUs attached to basically 8 garbage CPUs that could barely keep up with an Athlon 64 from 10 years prior.

If you look at it another way, you’re getting the power of a $300 to $400 GPU, $60 of Ram, $300 CPU, and $120 SSD for $500. Not bad.

Xbox Series X is pushing levels of power near a 2080, while PS5 will probably push 2070ish. That’s a heck of an improvement over the Radeon 7850 that is in the PS4

I watched the entire video before commenting, so I really have no idea what you're getting at.

A design using a captive screw (with a spring to keep it recessed when not in use) makes WAY more sense to me than their chosen solution (There are plenty of cheap LCD monitors that use this solution for mounting their bases). Also, see bigdogchris's comment above.

Nice try at calling someone out for no reason, though (y)
The screw goes in to a compartment in the stand where the plug is located.

It's basic math. The number of CU's on the 5700xt is 40. Is it faster or slower than a RTX 2600?

It should be noted that DF never said that the PS5 was the same performance as the 2060S. They specifically said they picked the 2060S, solely for the RT video, based on memory bandwidth. The creator of that video took them talking solely about potential RT performance and applied that to the entire console, something DF never did.

It's basic math. The number of CU's on the 5700xt is 40. Is it faster or slower than a RTX 2600?
PS5 should be at least as fast as a 5700xt in raster performance. It has 36 cu's but, architecture refinements and a 2233 MHz boost clock should keep it swinging pretty hard. (5700xt has a 1905 MHz boost clock).

Back