PS5 spec leak shows 8 core CPU and 24GB of RAM.

The CPU is certainly a possibility, but no way in hell the console would remain cost-effective with a new gen 14TFLOP part in there, not unless they plan on selling them for $700+. Oh and the power draw...

One hopes that this could be changed out or left as an option. They are talking about it being expensive. Guesses? $700.

The CPU is certainly a possibility, but no way in hell the console would remain cost-effective with a new gen 14TFLOP part in there, not unless they plan on selling them for $700+. Oh and the power draw...

Years ago they had a $600 launch. It's not inconceivable in the least that this would be $700.

Is it possible these could be specs for a PS5 "Pro"? I don't necessarily think it makes much sense to launch a new console with two different models, but I guess it's conceivable. Otherwise, I think these specs are too high for a console and it'll probably cost $700-800.

Supposedly the PS5 part is on the Navi architecture as far as the rumor mill goes. The first gen Ryzen is going pretty cheap right now and memory prices are circling the drain. There was a presentation by David Wang talking about Navi cards in the $250 range. Hard to say but the rumor mill churns on.

This would be a travesty. I’d gladly sacrifice storage for vastly better load times.

SSD pricing is really coming down. I can easily see them putting a 1TB SSD. It doesn't have to be top of the line either. The performance jump from a laptop grade 5,400 RPM would be amazing. CPU is probably correct. You can get Ryzen 1600s for around $100 on sale currently, retail pricing. Volume pricing can probably get something decently fast for around that price or less. GPU might not be the top of the line part, but I can see them stuffing a decent GPU in there (~RTX 2070 level performance).

Perhaps they will offer a cheaper version up front with a 5400 RPM drive and discontinue it 1-2 years in. Similar to the 4TB Xbox 360 that was released at launch.

Personally I think having two drives may be a possibility. All consoles ship with a small SSD (500GB or more) with the OS installed on that. Extra drives for expanded storage. Maybe they'd offer a cheaper SSD + HDD model, and a SSD + 2nd larger SSD. And people can add in their own 2nd drive down the road if needed.

I can understand the 2.5” spindle but they had better have a expansion M.2 slot.

The SATA interface should also be SATA III and not that USB conversion SATA II or whatever the PS4 has.

That was 15 years ago and got rimmed for the price. $400 is the sweet spot. $500 is pushing it but it would still fly.

They also went all in with a custom high end CPU and brand new BD drive that was in no way cheap for them to implement. Some people forget that there's a reason why since then, every effort from Sony has been to push out cheaper hardware to cut costs (stripping hardware for backwards compat., smaller Slim models with reduced material costs, etc).

Probably going to be a 2TB 5400 RPM drive. Would rather have a 1TB SSD.

I'd love to see a console offered up with no moving parts. No HDD, no optical drive. Faster, cooler, and less prone to failure. Sadly, I see SSDs as a hard sell on consoles. Your average console consumer doesn't know the difference, let alone the potential benefit, of shipping with an SSD. A system with an SSD, Sony has to sell consumers on why that SSD is better. A system touting several terabytes of storage they don't have to sell, consumers know more TB = good. Also consider that 50-100GB games have become normal these days. If the next cycle normalizes 4K gaming, I think 100-150GB games will become common. I question if 1TB will really be enough, and venturing above that with an SSD is cost prohibitive. Like it or not, Sony is a lot better off with a 2TB HDD as their baseline, and upgrade models touting 4TB.

SSD pricing is really coming down. I can easily see them putting a 1TB SSD. It doesn't have to be top of the line either. The performance jump from a laptop grade 5,400 RPM would be amazing. CPU is probably correct. You can get Ryzen 1600s for around $100 on sale currently, retail pricing. Volume pricing can probably get something decently fast for around that price or less. GPU might not be the top of the line part, but I can see them stuffing a decent GPU in there (~RTX 2070 level performance).

Perhaps they will offer a cheaper version up front with a 5400 RPM drive and discontinue it 1-2 years in. Similar to the 4TB Xbox 360 that was released at launch.

Personally I think having two drives may be a possibility. All consoles ship with a small SSD (500GB or more) with the OS installed on that. Extra drives for expanded storage. Maybe they'd offer a cheaper SSD + HDD model, and a SSD + 2nd larger SSD. And people can add in their own 2nd drive down the road if needed.

How realastic is 2070 level performance verus ps4 launch?

Like was a ps4 at launch as fast as a 500$ card?

Well, maybe if it has dedicated VRAM? 16GB + 8GB Video?
They would be crazy to move away from the unified memory architecture - not saying you are wrong, lets just hope this isn't the case. ;)

No, the original GPU in the launch PS4 was basically an HD7850 equivalent (XBone was HD7790 equivalent), so nowhere near close to that level of performance.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound all that legit... however its not as impossible as it sounds. Chiplet design... 2 Ryzen chips (4 cores each for low cost yields) 2 Navi cores. (again yields should be good as it sounds like Navi is a stripped down GPU designed to be chipped up) Everything is pointing to Navi being quite interesting... 1 navi chip low ball... 2 of them perhaps in PS5 and the next xbox might push those chips well above mid range GPU range, high end Navis may ship with as many as 4 navi chiplets and be quite compelling.

Not completely insane to think the chip at least is very possible. Will they decide to go with that much ram ?

We'll see what the next gen AMD APUs are cooking. The more of these rumors I hear the more I know the 3000 Ryzen chips are going to have to BLOW people away just to meet expectations.

And the PS3?

Maybe if there was a huge jump from 3 to 4 there could be one from 4 to 5
Not really, the PS3 had a, roughly equivalent, 7800 GTX 256MB GPU, which was closer to around $350-400 at the time, if I remember right (in 2006 currency).
Ah, that's true!

That was 15 years ago and got rimmed for the price. $400 is the sweet spot. $500 is pushing it but it would still fly.

Meh. $700 today is probably cheaper than $600 15 years ago. People also weren't buying $1200 handheld electronics - cellphones - 15 years ago. Perhaps the customer base is more acclimated.

I'd love to see a console offered up with no moving parts. No HDD, no optical drive. Faster, cooler, and less prone to failure. Sadly, I see SSDs as a hard sell on consoles. Your average console consumer doesn't know the difference, let alone the potential benefit, of shipping with an SSD. A system with an SSD, Sony has to sell consumers on why that SSD is better. A system touting several terabytes of storage they don't have to sell, consumers know more TB = good. Also consider that 50-100GB games have become normal these days. If the next cycle normalizes 4K gaming, I think 100-150GB games will become common. I question if 1TB will really be enough, and venturing above that with an SSD is cost prohibitive. Like it or not, Sony is a lot better off with a 2TB HDD as their baseline, and upgrade models touting 4TB.
You are out of your mind if you think a console without a disc drive makes any sense for the standard setup. Sure a model that is just for streaming would be okay but again not as the standard model for everyone. This is not a PC where you have tons of places to get digital games for cheap. If you have a PS4 without a disc drive then basically your only choice is to get games from Sony which is a rip-off unless they're having the rare sale. There are very few places that are authorized to sell a game key for consoles and they are usually the same price as the Sony store.

Remember the PS3 and 360 used fairly high end GPUs at the time. Both the One and PS4 played it safe so they wouldn't be sold at a loss. I think they're going to push it further this generation but I don't expect PS3/360 levels of hardware. Also by the time the PS5 comes out the 2070 will be at least 1 year old, maybe close to 2. So it wouldn't really be ground breaking to stuff that level of performance into it for a moderate price point.

We'll see how Zen2 pricing works out for consumer CPUs. Sounds like there may be some downward pricing. And Sony/Microsoft will obviously pay far, far less.

"sony-ps5.com"? *$&@&*%$( seriously? It's beyond obvious what this is.

RIP news forum.

I bet that domain name has been reserved for over 10 years to boot. They want me to turn my adblock off. heh.

seems better then 95% of the pc's out there, sounds a bit wild. it's a playstation :p

Doesn't sound all that legit... however its not as impossible as it sounds. Chiplet design... 2 Ryzen chips (4 cores each for low cost yields) 2 Navi cores. (again yields should be good as it sounds like Navi is a stripped down GPU designed to be chipped up) Everything is pointing to Navi being quite interesting... 1 navi chip low ball... 2 of them perhaps in PS5 and the next xbox might push those chips well above mid range GPU range, high end Navis may ship with as many as 4 navi chiplets and be quite compelling.

Not completely insane to think the chip at least is very possible. Will they decide to go with that much ram ?

We'll see what the next gen AMD APUs are cooking. The more of these rumors I hear the more I know the 3000 Ryzen chips are going to have to BLOW people away just to meet expectations.

They have already said navi is not a chiplet design (unless ofcourse AMD lied to everyone).

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
I can understand the 2.5” spindle but they had better have a expansion M.2 slot.

The SATA interface should also be SATA III and not that USB conversion SATA II or whatever the PS4 has.
The original PS4 used SATA-II, and the PS4 Pro uses SATA-III.
Hopefully the PS5 will have NVMe-based M.2, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah not to bash the Op but seriously, this is not news considering the source.

Its a fake blog on a free wordpress page.

I have a feeling this forum is going to go downhill very quickly. Even while it was still limited to moderator-contributed threads there was still way too much clickbait bullshit on a daily basis. A whole lot of gullible people without working BS detectors.

Last edited:
Its a fake blog on a free wordpress page.

I have a feeling this forum is going to go downhill very quickly. Even while it was still limited to moderator-contributed threads there was still way too much clickbait bullshit on a daily basis. A whole lot of gullible people without working BS detectors.
It cultivated some thought, some chatter, and conversation.

I'll take it.

It cultivated some thought, some chatter, and conversation.

I'll take it.

Very well, but let's be reasonable about it.

An new APU design is likely.

CPU: An 8 core seems likely, but I don't think it will be 3.2 ghz, nor should it need to be. Remember, 3.2 ghz Ryzen is like 6 ghz of Jaguar. Being a console, they will want to save every last watt for the GPU and even 2.5 ghz of Ryzen should make 60 fps no problem.

Ram: A shared 24 GB seems very reasonable as it would indicate cheaper GDDR5 or GDDR5x at 384 bit, so still plenty of bandwidth. The only other option that may be economically viable is 16 GB of 256 bit GDDR 6, but frankly, I would rather have the former.

Storage - Pretty sure no one will be happy unless it is a 2 TB SSD.

GPU - I would think Vega 56-like but who knows.

Back