PS5 Release Window Officially Announced

The haptic feedback sounds interesting. I'm liking how they're taking limited storage space in mind for partial game installs.

The hardware based raytracing was a surprise to me. Thought for sure it was going to be a software based quasi raytracing.

Bluepoint is working on a PS5 title..."We're working on a big one right now," says Marco Thrush, president of Bluepoint Games, which most recently worked on last year's PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus. "I'll let you figure out the rest."

Demon's Souls remaster!!...has to be right?

with haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field...you can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud

in addition to the haptic feedback the second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2)...Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain...in combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions...game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal

I always try to wait until the console has been revised a bit before buying, generally for for better cooling/noise and maybe fix minor design issues, but also because there typically isn't any/many worthy games available at launch. Given that my PS4 has been my favorite place to game most of the time the past few years though, I may have to buy one of these at launch if they have any decent exclusives at launch even if they're remasters of PS4 exclusives like Horizon ZD, God of War, or TLOU 2 all with 60 FPS support at any higher resolution.

USB C on the controllers are definitely much appreciated, though I wonder if they'll still be really picky as to what chargers work with them as the PS4 controllers seem to be (most of the wall chargers that work fine for phones and stuff don't work on PS4 controllers in my experience). I hope they keep the touch pad too, if just for better use on PC like I use the PS4's controller as a mouse with the touch pad.

The biggest thing on my wish-list that they haven't commented on is for better monitor support for different resolutions like 1440p since I have a 1440p Ultrawide that I like to use my consoles on occasionally any my PS4 Pro only outputs 1080p to it. I don't expect UW support, but for many games I am much more comfortable playing at my desk than I am in the living room on the couch or whatever. Freesync would definitely be a nice perk as well so devs don't have to lock to either 30 or 60 Hz and can have a lot more performance budget to play with to bump IQ and not have to worry about frame rate dips or locking to a set frame rate that can't be sustained at all times or at least utilize some overhead where scenes can run at 40+ FPS instead of still being locked to 30. I expect them to at least offer Freesync since Xbone already supports it on their current systems and TVs are starting to support it now as well.

The SSD is still very much the most exciting thing here for me. Load times were my biggest gripe about the PS4. Just hoping they don't gimp the storage signficantly, as that was my other big gripe about the early PS4's -- 500GB was enough for like.. 4 game installs.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new DualShock. The haptic feedback sounds great, the trigger support... sounds like it could get in the way... playing a FPS and it decides to rumble your aim on the trigger. Could be awesome in like... a fishing game or driving game though. Depends largely on developer implementation I guess.

Couldn't watch the video - haven't heard if VRR is confirmed or not yet. 8K - meh. 4K BluRay was a head scratcher on why it wasn't on the PS4 - will be nice to see it here, if BluRay survives much longer.

I'm not expecting a lot of advancement in graphical fidelity - something better, sure, but I didn't think it was a huge jump from the PS3 to PS4. Sure, better, but not "we waited 10 years for this" better.

I'll probably pick one up early on to replace my original PS4, and then if/when the better version comes up, get that to replace the Pro. I've been using them as BluRay/DVD players around the house.

Needs Backwards compatibility with all 4 systems. 4K @ 30fps and 1080p 60fps options required or no sale from me.. I do like the UHD drive finally included tho..

Couldn't watch the video - haven't heard if VRR is confirmed or not yet. 8K - meh. 4K BluRay was a head scratcher on why it wasn't on the PS4 - will be nice to see it here, if BluRay survives much longer.

The fact it supports 8k implies HDMI 2.1, which implies support for HDMI Forum VRR.

Console releases are always more fun I suppose Foxconn will be cranking them out I thought the PS4 was nothing special compared to the PS3. I probably won't buy one I'm 44 now 45 when it comes out will be 50 when the game comes out that I actually want to play. Steam backlog is hitting me upside the head for years

The last couple of consoles have been pretty ugly or badly thought out I could never stand all of the micro scratches on my launch PS4.

I think the PS4 slim is the best of the bunch for looks and durability. Same reason why the PS3 slim and launch PS4 looks like they can stand scratches from dust.

Xbox looks like it was shot by Russians too many holes. The 360 was a good design except for the red ring of death.

Last edited:
The last couple of consoles have been pretty ugly or badly thought out I could never stand all of the micro scratches on my launch PS4.

I think the PS4 slim is the best of the bunch for looks and durability. Same reason why the PS3 slim and launch PS4 looks like they can stand scratches from dust.

Xbox looks like it was shot by Russians too many holes. The 360 was a good design except for the red ring of death.
The Red Ring of Death was caused by the design of the 360. Form over function. So, no, it wasn't a "good design."

lolno. dont think sony consist of habitual drunkards.
I admit I didn't actually listen to the video or look at the patent, but I can believe that the funky-looking design is for testing various cooling solutions. If the power of the console is taking as large a jump as has been publicized then it is going to need some realistic cooling for longevity. I think that render they show of a possible production model actually doesn't look too bad. You also have to remember the original boomerang design for the Sixaxis controller for the PS3. Up until the final hour Sony swore up and down that this was the actual production design of the controller, so either the executive or engineers are in a perpetual drunken state. Or both.

I admit I didn't actually listen to the video or look at the patent, but I can believe that the funky-looking design is for testing various cooling solutions. If the power of the console is taking as large a jump as has been publicized then it is going to need some realistic cooling for longevity. I think that render they show of a possible production model actually doesn't look too bad. You also have to remember the original boomerang design for the Sixaxis controller for the PS3. Up until the final hour Sony swore up and down that this was the actual production design of the controller, so either the executive or engineers are in a perpetual drunken state. Or both.
thinking since ps2 the design have been quite similar. i dont think they will stray that far from it. consider the lower tdp of these components, not much had to change but any better cooling would not be bad.

The Red Ring of Death was caused by the design of the 360. Form over function. So, no, it wasn't a "good design."

It was also the EU, RoHS and lead-free solder, no matter how well you cool things, the solder will eventually fail.

With that cartridge patent leak, people are suggesting that they will be used for SSD expansion. With the integration of memory and NVMe storage on the PS5, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony blocks user replaceable hard drives (with your own). If you want to replace it you have to buy theirs.

With that cartridge patent leak, people are suggesting that they will be used for SSD expansion. With the integration of memory and NVMe storage on the PS5, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony blocks user replaceable hard drives (with your own). If you want to replace it you have to buy theirs.

I hope you are wrong...they seem to have a history for trying to push proprietary formats. Beta, UMD, memory stick, minidisc,

Sony is all about proprietary formats. I have a feeling this will be another one.
As far as the machine goes, I'm just hoping for a focus on high framerates and quick loading times. Those are probably the two things I enjoy most about PC gaming. If they can bring them to the console world, I'll dive in with both feet.
Especially with Sony's exclusive franchises.

I hope you are wrong...they seem to have a history for trying to push proprietary formats. Beta, UMD, memory stick, minidisc,
From a consumer standpoint I completely agree. From the Sony side though, could you imagine building the system for a certain performance spec in mind (NVMe SSD wise) then have some kid throw in a cheap QLC drive and bitch about why performance is so bad or possibly cause gameplay issues? I'm just saying it's something they have to look out for. They would have to build the system OS to use user installable drives as a lower tier storage and actively move data between them if they are for certain including NVMe drive at stock.

But the updated rumor now is that Sony is building a handheld companion to PS5 so it could also be for that.

Sony is all about proprietary formats. I have a feeling this will be another one.
As far as the machine goes, I'm just hoping for a focus on high framerates and quick loading times. Those are probably the two things I enjoy most about PC gaming. If they can bring them to the console world, I'll dive in with both feet.
Especially with Sony's exclusive franchises.
They have been except with the PS. It would be a shame if they go against it.

The cartridge patent was for a portable device marketed to very young children

PS3 and PS4 both have been completely open to user replacing or upgrading their hard drive. So based on the entire history of their home consoles, they have never limited storage upgrades.

PS3 and PS4 both have been completely open to user replacing or upgrading their hard drive. So based on the entire history of their home consoles, they have never limited storage upgrades.
You forgot the PS2, it had an expansion bay for a 40gb Hard Drive/Network capabilities. Near as I can tell it didn’t have a max size either. I think people have used terabyte HDDs in the PS2.
So their track record for console memory expansion is excellent. Track record for handheld/camera memory expansion, atrociously expensive.

From a consumer standpoint I completely agree. From the Sony side though, could you imagine building the system for a certain performance spec in mind (NVMe SSD wise) then have some kid throw in a cheap QLC drive and bitch about why performance is so bad or possibly cause gameplay issues? I'm just saying it's something they have to look out for. They would have to build the system OS to use user installable drives as a lower tier storage and actively move data between them if they are for certain including NVMe drive at stock.

But the updated rumor now is that Sony is building a handheld companion to PS5 so it could also be for that.
Well, it happened with Xbox Series X. PS5 is next. https://twitter.com/seagategaming/status/1239634191110877184

When the PS1 came out it set the stage for 3D graphics not very engaging compared to the SNES. PS2 wasn't much better. THE PS3 was probably the best system to date. The PS4 was more of the same not as good less exclusives. PS5 could be the best of the lot due to the innovation of 3D graphics.

The PS3 had games like

Borderlands, Demon Souls, Dantes Inferno, Dark Souls and Bioshock. It really set the stage for innovation that cant be touched today

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
When the PS1 ca.e out it set the stage for 3D graphics not very engaging com pl ared to the SNES. Ps2 wasn't much better. THE OS3 was probably the best system to date. The PS4 was more of the same not as good less exclusives. PS5 could be the best thi g sin e the PS3 due to innovation of 3D graphics.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. PS3 had the best specs, but was the hardest to develop on and thus most of the cross-platform games performed better on 360 while looking just as good if not better as well, which coupled with its initial pricing, caused the PS3 to lose a lot of the merit Sony had from the PS2's success and they pretty much lost that generation to MS as well. The PS4 was a complete divergent from the PS3 since it's on x86 architechture, launched at a much more reasonable price, and also has a considerable spec advantage over the Xbone, which is why it typically runs games at a native 1080p compared to the Xbone's 900p in a lot of games. Also, the PS4 has just as much, if not more exclusives (but definitely more significant exclusives) than the PS3 had, which I'm sure is mostly why the PS4 has largely dominated this generation against MS and has experienced significantly higher sales compared to its PS3 predecessor.

The PS3 basically set the stage for the PS4. Everything was original as far as games fresh and never seen before.

When the PS1 came out it set the stage for 3D graphics not very engaging compared to the SNES. PS2 wasn't much better. THE PS3 was probably the best system to date. The PS4 was more of the same not as good less exclusives. PS5 could be the best of the lot due to the innovation of 3D graphics.

The PS3 had games like

Borderlands, Demon Souls, Dantes Inferno, Dark Souls and Bioshock. It really set the stage for innovation that cant be touched today

Uh... in your list of games, only one of them (Demon Souls) was exclusive to PS3. The other four were all multi-platform games that Sony had no hand in the development of. They don't make the PS3 any more innovative than the 360 or a PC.

In general, I think I'd take the complete opposite stance you have and call the PS3 the weak point in the Playstation lineup. It was the only console generation in which Sony spent a good portion as the underdog. After several hardware revisions, price drops, and great exclusives, they caught up, but they definitely had to work at it. Sony seems to have a bit of a Tick-Tock with their lineup.

PS1 was huge for modern console design. Even for the things that it wasn't the first to accomplish, it can be credited with making mainstream. Disc based console games, removable memory cards, analog controllers, 3d graphics. These things were huge, and for many people, the PS1 is what introduced these things. Tick.

PS2 was sort of a refinement of everything the PS1 brought, it didn't innovate nearly as much, but it was all around just a great game console. You'd have had a hard time finding something to dislike about it, and it dominated because of it. Tock.

PS3 was severely flawed, especially in the beginning. It was expensive, it was huge, and it was difficult for developers to work on. They made bold claims about Cell that never came to be because developers struggled with it. It's online play and digital libraries were severely lacking compared to the competition, especially later in the game when the 360 had several overhauls of its UI and PS3 did not. Microsoft did a good job keeping the 360 relevant over a longer than normal console cycle. Sony did not. The PS3 was a dinosaur... Microsoft bested it in just about every way imaginable, all with a console that was less powerful. Sony had better exclusives, which were truly the only reason to consider a PS3 over a 360. PS3 tried to innovate (attempted tick), but they failed.

PS4 was a culmination of all of Sony's successes. They were smart, they learned from their mistakes (and Microsofts) and didn't repeat them. They delivered a system that didn't really try and change the game... it just tried to deliver what consumers wanted. It was safe, and that turned out to be extremely lucrative for Sony. It embodied many of the same things that made the PS2 so successful. Another Tock.

Last edited:
I remember the PS1 and PS2 being the shit, but I knew far more people that were exclusively 360 players in the PS3/360 era. Those same people are kinda divided right now. They own the PS4 because it's the better option, but they're also kind of annoyed by it. Hell, because most of us are older now, a good number play on both systems but Sony has all of the exclusives. Yet if you play anything competitively, try playing the same game on one vs. the other. Could be a larger install base muddies things, but I swear the Xbox's online community would wipe the floor with the PS4's in the same games.

I remember the PS1 and PS2 being the shit, but I knew far more people that were exclusively 360 players in the PS3/360 era. Those same people are kinda divided right now. They own the PS4 because it's the better option, but they're also kind of annoyed by it. Hell, because most of us are older now, a good number play on both systems but Sony has all of the exclusives. Yet if you play anything competitively, try playing the same game on one vs. the other. Could be a larger install base muddies things, but I swear the Xbox's online community would wipe the floor with the PS4's in the same games.

Unless your a Gears or Halo fan there is almost zero reason to get an Xbox. Even more so today since they are all coming to PC. Sony exclusives just destroy Xbox exclusives right now. But that's just my opinion.

Unless your a Gears or Halo fan there is almost zero reason to get an Xbox. Even more so today since they are all coming to PC. Sony exclusives just destroy Xbox exclusives right now. But that's just my opinion.

I'd agree except for the competition thing. That's only for a select few people that are hardcore about wanting to play the best people on a specific console game.
Sony's better at most everything else. Especially exclusive games. Even MS's UI has fallen behind Sony's...mainly because it keeps getting worse.

This generation the difference in quantity and quality for exclusives is really night and day. Even more so if you like single player experiences. All xbox had this generation was gears, forza and halo. But now that all of them are available on PC like you said there isnt a reason to get an xbox.

PS5 being announced today:

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1239884921260445696?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Pasting the "embed Tweet" URL in here doesn't seem to work. What's the trick for that?

Well that was disappointing; news spun it like they would at least reveal the console today. But at least Mark Cerny has a pleasant ASMRish voice and presentation, so it was easy to listen to his whole speech while still being mildly interesting in what they're focusing on for their hardware.

From what I read and heard the PS5 conference was just pre-recorded for a game developer conference. It wasn't designed to be something that gets gamer's juices flowing. Hopefully that comes next.

But I was pleasantly surprised to hear PS5 will have a user replacable SSD that isn't a Sony licensed product. Sounds like many M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD's without a heat sink will work. I did see some people are mistaking the M.2 form factor Sony is using as "SATA" SSD which is 100% incorrect.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
From what I read and heard the PS5 conference was just pre-recorded for a game developer conference. It wasn't designed to be something that gets gamer's juices flowing. Hopefully that comes next.

But I was pleasantly surprised to hear PS5 will have a user replacable SSD that isn't a Sony licensed product. Sounds like many M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD's without a heat sink will work. I did see some people are mistaking the M.2 form factor Sony is using as "SATA" SSD which is 100% incorrect.

I was surprised by this as well... I'm honestly wondering if this was a mistake. Supporting m.2 SSDs sounds pro-consumer, but I feel like it's going to end up causing a lot of confusion given that is has to be an extremely capable PCIe 4.0 drive to work. Too many people aren't smart enough to get the right drive. I'm assuming Sony will have some sort of process to prevent people from using a drive that will negatively impact performance (perhaps a benchmark of the drive before it can be formatted for use), but it's going to end up leaving people pissed off that they bought a drive not knowing they can't use it.

Microsoft's solution will be more expensive and more limited in options, but it will guarantee 100% compatibility. Given the technical knowledge of your average console game, that seems like the better option to me.

They repeated multiple times "do not go and buy any drive, we are working with drive makers to certify them with the ps5" in theory they need to be pcie4 7gb+, the extra speed is required to relinquish the control to the internal specialized controller without any problems.

Back