PS4 Update 2.50 “Yukimura” Preview: Suspend/Resume and More

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/11/ps4-update-2-50-yukimura-preview-suspendresume-and-more/

While developing the PlayStation 4 system, our hardware and software teams relied on feedback from our community of developers. The result is the most innovative and forward-thinking gaming console in the market today. Since launch, PlayStation has continued that trend of listening to feedback by bringing some of the most highly requested features from the PlayStation Nation to PS4 with each of our system software updates. When we unveiled PS4 two years ago, we announced Suspend/Resume, a feature that would enable PS4 users to jump in and out of their games faster than ever. This has been a feature gamers have been excited about since then, and today I am honored to officially confirm that system software update 2.50, “Yukimura,” will soon deliver Suspend/Resume, as well as a number of other requested features to PS4.

Suspend/Resume, which will be supported by nearly all PS4 titles, will create an atmosphere where your games are immediately available at any time — just pick up your DualShock 4 wireless controller, hit the PS button and get right back into the action of your games. When it’s time to log off, simply put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you’ll start your game where you left off. Spend less time getting into your games and more time playing them.

Here are some of the other highly requested new features and changes coming soon in “Yukimura:”

Sub-account to Master account Upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online at https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/.

Facebook Friend Search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PlayStation Network members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.

Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: For games that support 60 fps, the ability to customize the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura.” Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play on supported devices.

Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make their PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colors on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DualShock 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.

Trophy Improvements: We have received a ton of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura,” a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.

Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.

Stay tuned for more information on “Yukimura” and, as always, let us know in the comments how we can continue to improve PS4 to make it the best place to play.

60fps remote play finally, Suspend/Resume also in. Looks like a solid update. Being able to delete 0% is a good thing since I have over 40 or so games with 0%.

Not bad. I'm looking forward to being able to back up my stuff, then I'll move to a 2tb drive for the ps4.

One problem with the PS4 (new owner here) is that I can't turn off JUST the controller. If I am watching Netflix on my Xbox, I can hold down the Xbox button and have a option for turning off the controller. I'd like that for the Playstation. I'd like also the ability to turn that damn light off of the front of the controller. Reflection in the TV isn't that bad, but it's still unnecessary as I don't have the PS Camera.

On a side note, does anyone have the Playstation Camera? Is it worth it? Is it just another gimmick like the PS3 camera? I bought that thing and never used it. I know it'll be necessary with Morpheus, but besides that is there any point?

You can turn off only the controller. To turn off the DS4 only, Hold down the PS Button, then go the the menu select adjust devices, then select turn off controller.

One problem with the PS4 (new owner here) is that I can't turn off JUST the controller. If I am watching Netflix on my Xbox, I can hold down the Xbox button and have a option for turning off the controller. I'd like that for the Playstation. I'd like also the ability to turn that damn light off of the front of the controller. Reflection in the TV isn't that bad, but it's still unnecessary as I don't have the PS Camera.

On a side note, does anyone have the Playstation Camera? Is it worth it? Is it just another gimmick like the PS3 camera? I bought that thing and never used it. I know it'll be necessary with Morpheus, but besides that is there any point?

Twitch or Ustreaming, some facial mapping games like EA Sports, voice commands, Morpheus, and the very few Move enabled games available.

Well playroom too I guess.

Unless you stream it's pointless imo until Morpheus.

Also yea you can turn off the controller, if you have a CEC enabled TV you can control Netflix with the TV remote. That's what I do.

Edit: to clarify just hold the PS button down for awhile and it'll turn off. It's probably 5 or 10 seconds I'm not at the house to test it.

Last edited:
You can turn off only the controller. To turn off the DS4 only, Hold down the PS Button, then go the the menu select adjust devices, then select turn off controller.

Came in to say this, you beat me to it! However the way Sony does it is pretty stupid. They really should have just a turn off controller option like the Xbone.

Came in to say this, you beat me to it! However the way Sony does it is pretty stupid. They really should have just a turn off controller option like the Xbone.

Just hold down the PS button for 5-10 seconds, pretty sure that works.

Just hold down the PS button for 5-10 seconds, pretty sure that works.

Ah, didn't know about that one. I like how simple xbone does it. I play on the ps4 more often so I'm well acquainted with the adjust devices method of turning it off.

Yea it's that feature everyone should know about but bitch about how complicated it is or that it doesn't have it.

(Not referencing guy who posted above, he was just asking)

Want to impress me? Ship a PS4 that is backwards compatible with all previous Playstation consoles. And while you are at it, have it in the slim form factor, all for under $450. And then have a Playstation store where all the old games are available for download, $20 or less per game. And if you are smart there will be bundles and sales.

Want to impress me? Ship a PS4 that is backwards compatible with all previous Playstation consoles. And while you are at it, have it in the slim form factor, all for under $450. And then have a Playstation store where all the old games are available for download, $20 or less per game. And if you are smart there will be bundles and sales.

That is against every principle that the consoles are about.

It's a bit more complicated than that but thanks for being part of the PC Master Gaming Race!

Asking for a backwards compatible PS4 has nothing to do with PC gaming. Really all that is needed is a Playstation Store with all the old games for sale. Having a console that could play all the Playstation games from discs might be too much, but why not a store that has most of the old games? As things stand now I need to dust off my old consoles and hook them up to the TV if I want to play an old game. I don't see what principles Sony would be abandoning by having a console that would play all Playstation games.

Its not that easy. You don't see xbone being backwards compatible do you?

Also knowledge of how different architectures work. One is on cell, the other is not.

no, but wii u is, ps3 was. ps2 was.

ps3 was 'kind of'. But seriously, such a small percentage of people even care about this feature, I dont see the point of them bothering. PS4 selling a ridiculous amount of consoles already, and I dont see it having backwards compat adding that much to make it worth it to their bottom line at this point anyway.

The architecture is completely different, it's a ridiculous demand and saying its easy is rather ignorant. Sony has you covered if you need to play PS3 and older titles. But having the ability to play physical discs or downloads on PS4 hardware would have cost consumers way more money upfront for 1% of their base.

With 20.2 million sold through almost double the One and bearing the One and Wii U combined they made the right choice.

Now their next system might have backwards compatibility since I doubt they leave x86.

no, but wii u is, ps3 was. ps2 was.

Yeah and how much did it end up costing Sony by appeasing the miniscule amount of people who wanted the emotion engine with the ps3?

Granted blu ray as well.

The architecture is completely different, it's a ridiculous demand and saying its easy is rather ignorant. Sony has you covered if you need to play PS3 and older titles. But having the ability to play physical discs or downloads on PS4 hardware would have cost consumers way more money upfront for 1% of their base.

With 20.2 million sold through almost double the One and bearing the One and Wii U combined they made the right choice.

Now their next system might have backwards compatibility since I doubt they leave x86.

Seriously? My ps4 hasn't been turned on in months. Everyone of my friends who has one doesn't play it and hopping in and out of threads on here that sounds like the majority of users here as well. Everyone just keeps waiting for that next game. Besides destiny can't think of a single game that my friends were even interested in on the ps4.

Backwards compatibility would have went a lot going way with keeping users interested since their is a huge dearth of enjoyable games on the ps4.

Seriously? My ps4 hasn't been turned on in months. Everyone of my friends who has one doesn't play it and hopping in and out of threads on here that sounds like the majority of users here as well. Everyone just keeps waiting for that next game. Besides destiny can't think of a single game that my friends were even interested in on the ps4.

Backwards compatibility would have went a lot going way with keeping users interested since their is a huge dearth of enjoyable games on the ps4.

So you can play old games you already played?

My PS4 gets turned on every day that I am not out of country. Currently I am playing The Order 1886, Dragon Age Inquisition, Infamous First Light, Destiny and Injustice Gods Among Us. My son regularly plays Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare.

There are also tons of indie games that I got for free that I spend time on from time to time like Swapper, Dust An Elysian Tale, Valiant Hearts etc.

My Xbox One only gets turned on when I am in the mood of Forza games.

PS4 has been my nightly wind down for the past few weeks. Was playing DA: Inquisition, however, recently got rehooked on Terraria (even though I progressed pretty far into hardmode on the PC version).

While I would've enjoyed b/c for my PS4, I'm not seeing much killer software being released for the PS3 now, and what is being released seems to have a PS4 version anyway. So, for me, the lack of b/c isn't a huge deal, however it would certainly be nice to be able to just retire the PS3 to a closet or craigslist it.

Knowing your post history that doesn't surprise me and I doubt if it had backwards compatibility you wouldn't bitch about something relating to the PS4.

The hardware is vastly different, a hardware solution would have cost a fortune. They have PS Now, if that doesn't do it for you buy a PS1/2/3 for 30 bucks on eBay.

Adding Cell and RSX to the PS4 would have made it 599.99 which would have killed them.

You're part of the 1% they just weren't going to cater too and they made the right call.

#dealwithit

I use my PS4 almost daily. Play Dragon Age, Destiny, SoM, and trying to power through AC:Unity - but I think I am coming to the realization of not enjoying these types of games.

I just suspended a game before I went to work, I'll let you know how it turns out when I get off in roughly 5 hours.

Oh wow, the Vita 60fps remote play actually works.
RESOGUN on Vita in 60fps, oh joy of joys!

Suspend and resume works fine from what i've tried. Takes about 11 seconds from pressing the power to get back in game from sleep.

Rebinding works for in game not just the main menu like i was afraid it was going to. Rebinding was added to the vita as well which is awesome.

i wonder how the suspend works. what about games that dont have a "pause"? like Bloodborne?

Back