PS4 To Reach 69 Million Sold By 2019, Xbox One 39 Million

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While 39 million consoles is nothing to be ashamed of, Sony’s sales will continue to lead substantially.

By 2019, there will be around 108 million combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems in the market, with Sony's console leading the way with 69 million sold. Microsoft's Xbox One will make up the other 39 million. This is all according to data featured in a Game Developers Conference presentation from World of Tanks developer Wargaming creative director and executive producer TJ Wagner that was recently made public.

Why would they still be available in 2019!?

Oh wait, yeah, consoles.

Well on the plus side, that $500 Day one investment on the XB1 has lasted me so far and will probably last me until the next generation comes out. When I was still into gaming PC's, I could easily spend twice that on video cards every 12-18 months just because I had to have the best graphics.

Oh wait, yeah, consoles.
Hey don't knock it. PCs are ahead, but they're not so far ahead that we're running the same console games in 4k at a solid 60fps (or in VR at 90fps). We need time to catch up!

Well on the plus side, that $500 Day one investment on the XB1 has lasted me so far and will probably last me until the next generation comes out. When I was still into gaming PC's, I could easily spend twice that on video cards every 12-18 months just because I had to have the best graphics.

All kidding and snotty elitism aside, the problem with consoles is the same as the problem with PCs. Most developers don't put a whole lot of effort into polish these days. You can design a game to work on anything if you want, know the limitations and the strengths then test, test, test.

Mediocrity loves company ;)

Mediocrity loves company ;)

It is actually kind of nice. I sold my gaming rig to a forum member a while back because I just did not have enough time to game. It is nice not having to worry about upgrading just to play the latest game on high quality settings. It is also nice because with it being a console, it always works. PC gaming was insanely frustrating at times trying to keep everything working and optimized. Since I was always running either SLI or crossfire, that was another challenge in itself.

It is actually kind of nice. I sold my gaming rig to a forum member a while back because I just did not have enough time to game. It is nice not having to worry about upgrading just to play the latest game on high quality settings. It is also nice because with it being a console, it always works. PC gaming was insanely frustrating at times trying to keep everything working and optimized. Since I was always running either SLI or crossfire, that was another challenge in itself.

Games on consoles these days hardly "always work". If you haven't noticed thats been a pretty big issue since last generation. Once the ability to patch games became a reality the need to test and launch a nearly perfect title has gone out the window.

And say what you will about PC gaming but I rarely have issues these days, at least nothing out of the ordinary for the console version. Having the ability to play in 4K, with VR, 60fps+, etc will always make PC gaming my platform of choice. The fact that consoles are still at 30fps and 720p/900p is just...sad.

When I was still into gaming PC's, I could easily spend twice that on video cards every 12-18 months just because I had to have the best graphics.

On the flipside of things, Console limitations have made it much cheaper for PC gamer's to extend the life of their graphics card in recent years.

I'd switch to consoles too if I were an AMD fan boy.

Games on consoles these days hardly "always work". If you haven't noticed thats been a pretty big issue since last generation. Once the ability to patch games became a reality the need to test and launch a nearly perfect title has gone out the window.

And say what you will about PC gaming but I rarely have issues these days, at least nothing out of the ordinary for the console version. Having the ability to play in 4K, with VR, 60fps+, etc will always make PC gaming my platform of choice. The fact that consoles are still at 30fps and 720p/900p is just...sad.

I have never had issues with console games. The last game to give me problems on day 1 was Halo Master Chief Collection which was so buggy, Microsoft gave us early buyers a free copy of the new total remastered version of Halo ODST. Once my life mellows back out and I get some more time again, PC gaming is definitely something I will get back into.

On the flipside of things, Console limitations have made it much cheaper for PC gamer's to extend the life of their graphics card in recent years.

I noticed that, although I wonder whether it is equally because they have kind of hit the limit at this time. There are still those 1-2 games that really push things though.

I'd switch to consoles too if I were an AMD fan boy.

If you look at my forum join date, I was an enthusiast in the days when AMD was still kicking Intel's ass. It was painful to watch them slowly lose ground and then Bulldozer came along and broke my heart. Back when I was an active member of the HardOCP folding team, I ran a fleet of Intel based processors including moderately OC'd I7 930 and of course the very well overclocked I7 980 EE hexacore.

In the past 5 years console gaming has been more problematic for me than PC gaming.

Now if only they can make gamers for pc's first and THEN port them to the consoles that would be nice.

So what you are saying is you like consoles because you are OCD and have self control issues? Not knocking it, I have OCD like issues like this (with a weird mix of lazy... odd I know) so anything that works for you do it!

As others have mentioned PC gaming can be similar in costs, you don't need to upgrade each year etc. I just upgraded my i7 920 and graphics to 970 just cause I felt I needed an upgrade (ocd/manic) not cause I needed one. My previous rig was playing games just fine, exactly what a console does. PC maintenance and hassle is nothing these days, its plain maint free pretty much.

While 39 million consoles is nothing to be ashamed of, Sony’s sales will continue to lead substantially.

By 2019, there will be around 108 million combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems in the market, with Sony's console leading the way with 69 million sold. Microsoft's Xbox One will make up the other 39 million. This is all according to data featured in a Game Developers Conference presentation from World of Tanks developer Wargaming creative director and executive producer TJ Wagner that was recently made public.

By 2019, the world will be desolate. Mutants rule the earth and scavenge for resources among the ruined cities.

So what you are saying is you like consoles because you are OCD and have self control issues? Not knocking it, I have OCD like issues like this (with a weird mix of lazy... odd I know) so anything that works for you do it!

As others have mentioned PC gaming can be similar in costs, you don't need to upgrade each year etc. I just upgraded my i7 920 and graphics to 970 just cause I felt I needed an upgrade (ocd/manic) not cause I needed one. My previous rig was playing games just fine, exactly what a console does. PC maintenance and hassle is nothing these days, its plain maint free pretty much.

Absolutely not. With PC's for those of us who really enjoyed high end gaming, there was a reason to spend the extra money to enjoy the latest and greatest PC gaming could offer. The fact that consoles are not upgradable is a side benefit in terms of saving money. If I had the time, I would PC game.

Yes I am OCD, but it is in a different way as it manifests itself in different ways.

Now if only they can make gamers for pc's first and THEN port them to the consoles that would be nice.

Won't happen, game developers make so much more money on consoles than PCs. Hell, I wonder how much money games for smart phones make compared to PCs.

Won't happen, game developers make so much more money on consoles than PCs. Hell, I wonder how much money games for smart phones make compared to PCs.
Well that's changing, that's the point. More money is made from PC gaming than on the consoles combined, however that's spread on a lot of F2P content. Consoles can't even touch it. For traditional AAA games, again, Ubisoft is literally making more money from the PC now than it is from the Xbox, but PS4 is still in the lead As for mobile, that's sort of a different skew, and it easily makes more than the consoles also.

Oh wait, yeah, consoles.

Why would my Sandy Bridge will be working fine 5 years later? I don't know, but it's still kicking ass! :D Only upgrade I've done has been an increase in SSD size and a new video card. Technically, it's far superior to the consoles. But, I still love gaming on the consoles. I just play games.

What so we will still have the same slow ass crappy consoles barely able to push 720p@30fps in 2019? That's just great.

Oh wait, yeah, consoles.

Yuk, good point.
Let's see, we will be three full years into VR, Nintendo will have a new box, 4K will be the standard. Blurays at 1080P become DVDs and DVDs become VCR tapes.
I would say that yeah, they will be around, but the rumors of a PS5 et al will be burgeoning.

What so we will still have the same slow ass crappy consoles barely able to push 720p@30fps in 2019? That's just great.

The way it always has been with consoles in relation to other things. From the Atari VCS and arcades getting much better to finally getting the NES and then arcades getting into 16 bit and being awesome. So, the Genesis came out and changed things. Eventually, the arcade couldn't catch up. PC's (C64, IBM PC) were more powerful than consoles, but they didn't become a major gaming player until the late 90's with 3D accelerators.

That's the way consoles are. Create them for a 5-7 year major run. You can't keep releasing them, as they'd lose support from developers, which matters a LOT (ask Sega. Or even Nintendo lately). You give them that life span and release an upgrade every so often for a new "generation". Not usually backwards compatible, different design, decent upgrade... PC's don't work like that. I can run Doom from the original disks on a PC I build right now. There is major backwards compatibility. The x86/64 instructions are still there. I can upgrade certain parts of my PC. Developers can develop for my PC, a 10 year old PC or a brand new PC - and it'll run on any of them. Sometimes, even at 720p@30fps.

The way it always has been with consoles in relation to other things. From the Atari VCS and arcades getting much better to finally getting the NES and then arcades getting into 16 bit and being awesome. So, the Genesis came out and changed things. Eventually, the arcade couldn't catch up. PC's (C64, IBM PC) were more powerful than consoles, but they didn't become a major gaming player until the late 90's with 3D accelerators.

That's the way consoles are. Create them for a 5-7 year major run. You can't keep releasing them, as they'd lose support from developers, which matters a LOT (ask Sega. Or even Nintendo lately). You give them that life span and release an upgrade every so often for a new "generation". Not usually backwards compatible, different design, decent upgrade... PC's don't work like that. I can run Doom from the original disks on a PC I build right now. There is major backwards compatibility. The x86/64 instructions are still there. I can upgrade certain parts of my PC. Developers can develop for my PC, a 10 year old PC or a brand new PC - and it'll run on any of them. Sometimes, even at 720p@30fps.
I'm aware how things are, that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it.

I'm aware how things are, that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it.

Nope. That's very true. You don't have to like it. Especially this close to the launch of the console. Towards the end of the lifecycle, my example would work much better. We're still a few years out from a new console and these complaints are there (they were there from the start for some). You shouldn't have those complaints near the first half of the lifecycle of a console....

That's sooo funny, yet common enough... couple buddies who work in the field told me the same thing a few years ago.

Nope. That's very true. You don't have to like it. Especially this close to the launch of the console. Towards the end of the lifecycle, my example would work much better. We're still a few years out from a new console and these complaints are there (they were there from the start for some). You shouldn't have those complaints near the first half of the lifecycle of a console....
The problem is that earlier console generations were actually on par or even ahead of what the PC was capable when they were released. But this generation was already years behind the current PCs when they came out. An $500 mid range PC could do the same as the PS4 and XBONE is capable of. That's why it's extra painful that they will hog progress for so many years to come. And that's why I'm very much in favor of the proposed PS4 update, even though it's a headache for some developers.

The problem is that earlier console generations were actually on par or even ahead of what the PC was capable when they were released. But this generation was already years behind the current PCs when they came out. An $500 mid range PC could do the same as the PS4 and XBONE is capable of. That's why it's extra painful that they will hog progress for so many years to come. And that's why I'm very much in favor of the proposed PS4 update, even though it's a headache for some developers.

Mostly. I'm still holding to my opinion that the Commodore 64 was greatly superior to the NES at it's launch.

Yea, when you look at it that way it does make sense. Especially since they are running basically PC grade hardware rather than proprietary stuff.

Yup, I'd happily pay $600 for a console again if the hardware was at the same level when the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 came out.

Back