"PS4 to Lock Out Used Games"

stopped buying used games ages ago, if you have patience youll be alright. Its like psn games and steam games, theres frequent sales on (better ones on steam), you just gotta make sure you can get online to get em.

Console digital sales are garbage compared to any pc digital retailer sales because there is no competition. PSN has a monopoly on its own digital sales just like the Xbox and their "big sales" maybe are $5 off or 10% off. Most games stay at $30+ for ages and never ever drop like metro 2033 is still $30 or crysis 2 just now made a price drop for $30 on xbl and you can get a physical copy for less than half that price used. They are not even trying to compete with the used market or aware that their games have devalued over time.

how can you compare PC digital sales when i don't think any company has actually ever released any numbers?

Which is a shame, i wish Steam would release numbers so we can shut up all those "PC gaming is dieingggggg.." people.

Not being able to play used games won't affect me directly since I barely ever buy used games, but people aren't looking at the big picture here, the used games market is HUGE, cutting that part out will surely affect me and everyone else someway.

For example, a lot of people won't be willing to buy games that they won't be able to sell after they finish it, hell some won't even buy the console in the first place because of it, that's going to affect overall sales and we all know low sales isn't a good thing when it comes to any type of business, both the consumers and companies will be the losers.

IMO if they're going to apply this whole only buy new games rule, they should lower the prices of new games to $49.99 and for God's sake stop those exclusive paid DLCs before even the damn game is out.

As for backwards compatibility, not releasing it in the first place would be much much better than releasing it and being forced to remove it later to cut costs, a very expensive console would be a VERY bad idea, we all saw how it was for the PS3 at first, the games and sales fricken sucked like for a year or so.

Last edited:
Not only buying and selling used games, but trading or swapping games will be done with as well. Even loaning your game to a friend to try is out. Your are stuck with the games you buy new, and that is it. Sounds pretty oppressive if you ask me.

My biggest issue is that why shell out $60 for a mediocre game that is maybe 5-8hours long now? In the past you could sell it and maybe cut your losses to $10-15, but with the possibility of being stuck with the title, it will cause many games that do decent today to not be feasible in the near future.

Another thing I wonder is what will they do with sports games? Typically a sports game is near worthless after the new one comes out, being had for usually 1/6th of the original price in less than a year. Will these games now be like $40 for old rosters or what? I am a fan of buying sports games 1 year behind because it saves huge money and I really don't care about the new rosters and "added" features.

i think not buying used games is a good idea because it would make companies that rip off customers for used games ( gamestop ) go out of business. i would also like to have midnight release at home instead of waiting in line for 2 hours at gamestop smh

owning a console is not a right, but nice try, nor is selling used games, to which you never actually owned in the first place.

I completely disagree.

Back in the cartridge days you didn't own the game itself, however you owned the physical device the game was on. This was covered under the First Sale Doctrine.

However there seems to be much confusion today in the actual case law, as the courts have come down both ways on the issue, on whether or not the software is sold or licensed. I think some of our laws need to be addressed to fix this confusion.

Personally I treat console games just like Movie DVDs which have been specifically ruled to be covered under the first sale doctrine.

I am fine with it, almost exclusively because of Gamestop's bullshit.

There are three Gamestop's in my area, this happens at each one...

Ocellaris: Just this game please
GS: We only have a used copy, you can save $5
Ocellaris: Ok no thanks
GS: Its the same as new
Ocellaris: No thanks, I am going to Target
GS: Wait let let me check... Oh we might have one new copy left!
Ocellaris: Alright whatever...
[GS employee grabs a disc from a case and stuffs it in the case that was on the shelf. A case which is covered in stickers]
Ocellaris: You don't have one still sealed? Forget about it, seriously

/smash face on wall

Then what really ticks me off is when they pull that stuff on other people, and the other people fall for it :( I don't mid buying and selling used games, but I think Gamestop has taken a good thing and ruined it.

I couldn't agree more. That's just bullshit.

Doesn't bother me if the new consoles don't allow for used games. I mean it's only $60 for a new game.

This is an idea I have been toying around with a couple of years now and I don't see a reason why
it cant be accomplished if we were to all put in a little effort.
Since the release of these consoles is in the horizon this is a perfect time.

Why do we allow these companies to get away with stealing from us.
Most of the intellectual property we purchase today (video games)
has an expiration date. Why are we paying full price??? and this is
only 1 example ina sea of examples.

Not only do they have an expiration date but they are also protected
incase they decided they want to change it (example PS3 had an option
to install a 3rd party OS) they took that away even though we paid for the
option originally. ACTA is in the horizon and these companies are just getting
more and more powerful with every penny we spend.

Its time for the People's console.
If we could get together, we have the knowledge to
create our own console with our own rules and our own
prices and all those profits can be cycles right back to
our own developers to create game that we want or given
back to the gamers in a form of dividens.
All these companies creating processors / hard drives ect.
They sell to anyone who is willing to pay.
So instead of having rich investors choose the gaming future.
We could have our own money pay for our parts/our designs
and so forth. There are plenty of intelligent people in the
gaming community all we would need to do is pull together.

Creating a Mutual organization.
Unlike a stock traded company that uses the money of a few people
and their ideas. In a Mutual organization everyone that puts in
a penny becomes part owner and has a say in the direction of the
company. You know kinda like a democracy the way this country
was founded. Think about it if every gamer put in 60 bucks the price
of 1 game. We could have a multi million dollar company over night.
of course it will be a little more complicated than that, but
not hard or impossible.

They will tell us it cant be done, they will hack our servers and
even try legal ways to keep us out of the business but some things
are worth fighting for.

The peoples console already exists, its called a PC running windows. All you have to do is develop for it. All you have to do is make the programs and interface to run it anyway you like. And it wont cost you a billion dollars.

The peoples console already exists, its called a PC running windows. All you have to do is develop for it. All you have to do is make the programs and interface to run it anyway you like. And it wont cost you a billion dollars.

I think it would be running an open-source OS, but otherwise I agree with you.:D

Doesn't bother me if the new consoles don't allow for used games. I mean it's only $60 for a new game.

For this generation. It could very well be $70 for the next generation. Inflation and higher production costs may be used as reasons to increase the base price.

$40 - PS1
$50 - PS2 & XBox
$60 - PS3 & XBox360

For this generation. It could very well be $70 for the next generation. Inflation and higher production costs may be used as reasons to increase the base price.

$40 - PS1
$50 - PS2 & XBox
$60 - PS3 & XBox360

$70 is still cheaper than where games were during the NES days. I remember paying $70-$95 for new releases.

My biggest issue is that why shell out $60 for a mediocre game that is maybe 5-8hours long now? In the past you could sell it and maybe cut your losses to $10-15, but with the possibility of being stuck with the title, it will cause many games that do decent today to not be feasible in the near future.

Another thing I wonder is what will they do with sports games? Typically a sports game is near worthless after the new one comes out, being had for usually 1/6th of the original price in less than a year. Will these games now be like $40 for old rosters or what? I am a fan of buying sports games 1 year behind because it saves huge money and I really don't care about the new rosters and "added" features.

How many people take the "risk" of buying a game for $50-60 knowing that even if they hate it, they can resell it.

Remember - you can't return a game that is terrible.

If they really go to this model, I can see stores increasing their demo space so people can try a game for 10 minutes before they buy it.

It seems like a small change to them, but this is the type of thing that can have wide ranging, unpredictable results - they are not taking into account the behavioral changes that will occur if they do this.

It's like thinking a business will make twice the money if they double their prices.

How could that possibly fail?

Not only buying and selling used games, but trading or swapping games will be done with as well. Even loaning your game to a friend to try is out. Your are stuck with the games you buy new, and that is it. Sounds pretty oppressive if you ask me.

Sounds like PC gaming since the early 90s if you ask me.

Yeah sometimes i like to rent a game before buying to see if ill like it, and if it was a title that wasn't so great i like that i can pop in to GS and get it for 10 bucks. This will also cause us to see less sales on newer titles, and they will take longer to drop in price. If the company knows you need a new game and cant get it cheaper we will all get ripped. This will also kill businesses like Gamefly. It wont be cost effective to send out a new game to every person who is paying 20 bucks a month for a game they'd have to buy new at 60+. And yes, even though ive bought my fair share 60 bucks for a video game is pricey.

So a bunch of " Analyst " whom are probably wishful console gamers stated the obvious things everyone else already said. Certainly does not mean anything. Analyst missed the economic collapse of 2007.

I could do my own analysis right along side theirs and say the opposite, like console maker X will benifit from more exclusives if they eliminate the used game market and that would give them an advantage. They also totally over said exactly the opposite thing every one else already knows. GameStop does not have much value to the console makers. If the dissappear tommorrow no one will flinch they will just scurry down to a different part of the mall and buy the games from target or whatever. Oh and the funny thing about gamestop is, the section dedicated to games in most retailers is bigger than the whole game stop store in every mall I have been in.

Basically we know nothing new from that article.

Last edited:
Nobody said it's the final word, it's just a few guys who know a lot more than we do and their opinions.

What I am really getting at is, they don't know alot more than we know. Sure if you went to an AOL chatroom and asked people what they would say, those guys know more than them, however this is hard and various people here definitely know more than those guys.

Those guys presented no facts what so ever just wild speculation the same garbage anyone here can come up with. As soon as they said the industry values gamestop I knew either they are full of shit, or the industry is severely disconnected from reality.

$70 is still cheaper than where games were during the NES days. I remember paying $70-$95 for new releases.
In what country? You also have to keep in mind some releases in the 80's and 90's required larger cartridges which significantly increased the sale price. As a matter of fact, all cartridge based games were expensive. N64 games were high priced due to this. DVD's are made for pennies and adding a second disc adds only a few pennies more. It wasn't like that for cartridge games.
Again, this is all rumor. We're not going to see any new console hardware from anyone (except Nintendo) until at least 2014 at the absolute earliest.
At the absolute earliest? I wouldn't go that far. Foundries are already reporting production of components for the systems. I can't imagine anything released this year but in 2013 I see it as a reality. The 360 will be 8 years old at that point and there is no way Sony is letting Microsoft get another year head start on them.

Last edited:
Again, this is all rumor. We're not going to see any new console hardware from anyone (except Nintendo) until at least 2014 at the absolute earliest.

The way I look at it, it could just be Sony testing the market. Not enough of an outcry? Maybe we can get away with it...Market research does happen and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony/MS are actively exploring this.

No way they let this happen. More businesses and people than I can think of will be destroyed. Would it be possible for them to make a different kind of game and/or recertify them at GameStops, GameFly, etc.? That would be the only way I could see them thinking about it.

I deal with it on the PC, but if they do this on the consoles it will ultimately destroy one of the few things i respect about game consoles, and I wont bother with them anymore.

360 has more rumors floating around them doing this than Sony.
Also rumor says the $99 Xbox contract deal now is a test for the Nextbox. Where like cell phones have contracts now, you'll need a contract for the next gen 360.

If you don’t know what I mean about the $99 Xbox, here is a link…

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2551...ally_need_to_know_about_microsofts_offer.html

I SERIOUSLY doubt to you'll need to sign a contract to get your next generation console EVER. It would serve only to complicate matters and would turn off lots of console gamers in general. Sony isn't going to do this , Nintendo isn't so you can bet that MS won't. If they did then Sony would gain a leg up with its free network status as it is.

Microsoft is "experimenting" and that's it. Don't expect them to apply it to a major console release. At worst they will simply offer it as a way to entice more skeptical users.

The only problem I have with this is that prices will stay at closer to MSRP for longer.

After a game is out for a while retailers have to drop the prices to keep up with the used game market. Most people will buy a new game over a used when there is only a $5-$10 difference. When there is a $30 difference, most will go for the used copy. Taking away the used game market my keep the retail price up for longer.

On the flip side, maybe it they don't have to worry about a used game market, new releases might be priced at $49 instead of $59. (I can dream)

They can come up with all this BS on new consoles they want to; it's going to only keep me from buying any of them that do.

If the consoles don't have a standard controller and take physical games - GTFO. Within reason, I *might* accept a download only console if the HD is large and user upgradable with any standard HD (and no proprietary BS like MS tries to pull with their copywritten bootsector HD's for the 360). The online store would HAVE to be at least on the level of Steam and accept real money and not "points" or "doubloons" or some other retarded currency that has a poor exchange rate with a dollar. I also expect to see 60FPS@1080P with eye candy and bells and whistles turned on. I would LIKE to see a free form of Xbox Live that includes online play, but I don't think Microsoft will ever take that cash cow to the slaughterhouse, so if Sony stays with the PSN being free for online play, it would definitely interest me slightly more from that standpoint to go with their console instead of MS's.

Locking out used games, requiring contracts, motion control only = GTFO
I really don't care much, I'm still happy with the current consoles, I still have a lot of games to pick up for them, and I still have a massive Steam backlog as well. The way I see it, I probably have at least a few years of solid gaming to go through and catch up on. At this point I could wait until the next consoles are a few years old, through a hardware revision or two and half the launch MSRP before I buy them.

I SERIOUSLY doubt to you'll need to sign a contract to get your next generation console EVER. It would serve only to complicate matters and would turn off lots of console gamers in general. Sony isn't going to do this , Nintendo isn't so you can bet that MS won't. If they did then Sony would gain a leg up with its free network status as it is.

Microsoft is "experimenting" and that's it. Don't expect them to apply it to a major console release. At worst they will simply offer it as a way to entice more skeptical users.

MS is trying to move Kinect units after sales have tanked. This is a good way to get more people using a Kinect and MS can make a pile of money on those people. Plus lets be honest hear, a lot of people thinking a subsidized $99 console is a good idea also think the Kinect is a good idea.

Disclaimer: Owner of a launch day Kinect here.

Does anyone remember some SNES and N64 games being 100+ dollars? Anyways I am all for it as long as sony makes some concessions on their side. Like lower software and hardware prices. and a system that can handle skyrim......(still havent played it)

MS is trying to move Kinect units after sales have tanked.

They've steeped off because people who wanted one already own one....however I think if they're trying to clear inventory (as you suggest), they're only doing so because they're making way for the Kinect 2 which will reportedly be unveiled at some point in the next year - my guess would be the same time they announce the 360 successor (and I'll even go as far to say the Kinect 2 will be available for the successor console at launch, possibly packed in).

Does anyone remember some SNES and N64 games being 100+ dollars? Anyways I am all for it as long as sony makes some concessions on their side. Like lower software and hardware prices. and a system that can handle skyrim......(still havent played it)

I paid $80 for Street Fighter 2: The World Warriors as well as Final Fantasy III at Babbages back in the day. Can't say I remember any other titles being $80+, but those are two that I remember paying that much for.
(Obviously Neo*Geo carts at $199 is another example but pretty much everyone knows that Neo carts were $200 apiece).

They've steeped off because people who wanted one already own one....however I think if they're trying to clear inventory (as you suggest), they're only doing so because they're making way for the Kinect 2 which will reportedly be unveiled at some point in the next year - my guess would be the same time they announce the 360 successor (and I'll even go as far to say the Kinect 2 will be available for the successor console at launch, possibly packed in).

I paid $80 for Street Fighter 2: The World Warriors as well as Final Fantasy III at Babbages back in the day. Can't say I remember any other titles being $80+, but those are two that I remember paying that much for.
(Obviously Neo*Geo carts at $199 is another example but pretty much everyone knows that Neo carts were $200 apiece).

I would be down with a Kinect 2... If it worked far better than the current Kinect. I don't think the Kinect works nearly as well as we were led to believe it would. People have now figured this out, and MS is sitting on a bunch of shovel-ware games which aren't any good and haven't advanced thing past the Wii *cough* Kinect Star Wars *cough*.

The Move sucks too, but for different reasons.

I guess this isn't a real issue if microsoft or sony would actually put their games on sale on a regular basis after they have been out a while. But currently a big sale on xbl marketplace is 10% off lol.

So you think if people got offered a next gen system for only $100 and all they had to do is sign a 2 yr contract, they wouldn't? I think it will do very well. Look at all of the iPhone users and that’s much more than $100.

MS (like most companies) smell money, they'll take it.

Anyways it's all rumor, no point on getting worked up on this or anything else until we know more.

If both companies go with blocking used games; I'll be furious. Will most likely buy neither and still with PC.

If something REALLY good comes out, I may cave, but stripping freedom like that... eh. I'm not a fan.

MS is trying to move Kinect units after sales have tanked. This is a good way to get more people using a Kinect and MS can make a pile of money on those people. Plus lets be honest hear, a lot of people thinking a subsidized $99 console is a good idea also think the Kinect is a good idea.

Disclaimer: Owner of a launch day Kinect here.

Considering Kinect did so well when it launched they probably saw this coming. As you said its aimed at the casual market.

But I don't think that this will suddenly become a requirement to owning a gaming console. Which was my original point.

http://kotaku.com/5910024/maybe-the-playstation-orbis-will-play-used-games-after-all

Maybe the PlayStation Orbis Will Play Used Games After All

Used games: you love them, need them and want to marry them. Publishersand developers blame the second-hand market for lackof innovation,saying the money they don't see from used games would let them be more creative.

Reportsthat the next consolesfrom Sony and Microsoft wouldn't support pre-owned games only fueled thisfiery debate even more. Well,love-him-or-hate-him financial analyst Michael Pachter asked PlayStation U.S. CEO JackTrettonhisfeelings onused games were and Trettonsaid that he personally hasno problem with them.

You cansee Pachter talk about that conversationonGameTrailers' Bonus Round. At about the 1:52 mark, he saysTretton believes such a move would be "anti-consumer". However, PlayStation'smarching orders come from Japan and according to Pachter, Tretton says that the mothership may think differently about this issue. So,a glimmer of hope if you want PlayStation Orbisto be kinder to your wallet.

http://kotaku.com/5910024/maybe-the-playstation-orbis-will-play-used-games-after-all
You cansee Pachter talk about that conversationonGameTrailers' Bonus Round. At about the 1:52 mark, he saysTretton believes such a move would be "anti-consumer". However, PlayStation'smarching orders come from Japan and according to Pachter, Tretton says that the mothership may think differently about this issue. So,a glimmer of hope if you want PlayStation Orbisto be kinder to your wallet.

Not to get off topic, but this seems to be one of the biggest issues with Sony. Out of touch leadership who is unwilling to listen to input from people that know what is going on. I don't sell or buy used games, but I still feel like having that option is helpful. I have recently bought Starhawk and I am trying to get some friends to buy it. For them to try it out would require that they come over to my house, or borrow my disc and my sign in details so they can get online with it. It would be nice if I could just put the disc in their hands and let them try it.

It seems like too many of these moves are just so anti-consumer. I dont mind the online pass system really. They if they want to do it though, there should be a 5 day demo or something you can download. I should be able to hand that game to a friend and tell them to try it without jumping through flaming hoops.

Sony isn't exactly in tune right now , they've just posted there worst quarter since the 1960's so there are obviously some issues going on with the higher ups in Japan who are green lighting projects that end up as deep caverns of lost cash.

If I was in charge up Sony right now I would not be even thinking about a new console until MS begins to leak confirmed info about there own new system , Sony needs to return to making an actual "profit" and not bleeding money. Until that happens EVERYTHING that is rumored is pure gossip bullshit. Nothing is confirmed.

Cut the 3D bullshit push out , lower the cost of the PS3 until it is directly as cheap as the 360 , secure more exclusive releases and beef up the Playstation Network with more options , exclusive demos. Preventing used game sales should be number 199 on there list of 200.

Back