PS4 Sales Continue to Crush Xbox One Despite Price Cut

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The final numbers aren't all in from September sales, but from what has surfaced so far, it appears that PS4 was outselling Xbox One at about double the number even with the Xbox One’s price reduction according to stats from MCV reports.

Even as the price drops and availability continues to spread worldwide, Microsoft still hasn't found a way to catch up with Sony. This holiday season is going to be hugely important for both companies, but it’s shaping up to be an uphill climb for one of them.

At least this is one thing Sony has going for them. Here's hoping they don't screw it up.

fDomDPi.jpg

Only takes one person to ruin success.

I have an xbox one and love it. And i keep hearing all the people who went over to ps4 are now coming back to xbox for halo. At least 4 of my friends have said this

My ps4 sits collecting dust. Hasn't been turned on in over a month. X1 gets used daily as does the Wii u.

Strangely enough I was just thinking about this this morning as I was looking at the best buy ad.been noticing the x1 isn't be advertised while the ps4 is. Been that way off an on for a while now. Thought that was pretty strange.

Thats how it went down for the ps3 and 360 for me. I really didnt like the ps3 UI tho. havent tried ps4... I just like how xbox continually gets updated and improved based on the community.

I just want to know when they're going to release a pc wireless adapter for the XOne controller.

I have the XBox One and love it. The PS4 is a great machine, but I don't know if I'll buy it until it goes under $250. Not a lot of games that are exclusive that I want (Last of Us Remastered.... I have the PS3 one, but damn it's a good game!).

I have a few friends on Xbox Live, so that helps. Among the people I know, it's reversed. I know a lot of people with XBO's and few with PS4's. That's what influenced my decision. Why buy a console if no one else you know has it that you can play with?

Hated the PS2 and PS3. Played the hell out of the original Xbox and the 360.

Own a XB:One and PS4 now. The PS4 really is just a better console in every way imaginable. Only place XBox wins is on the TV pass through and that's hardly what makes a gaming machine. Even if it was, majority of my TV time is spent with NetFlix.

After a couple stellar consoles I don't know what the hell MS was thinking with the One. Underpowered, overpriced, packed with over marketed features that don't matter. I've literally only used the Kinect's multimedia features to turn my TV off (not on, which only works 25% of the time).

As for exclusives, we'll see where that goes. I do like Titanfall quite a bit, that's the only game that gets play time on the One. If the next version of that comes out on the PS4 that's where I'll buy it.

No surprise really. Both consoles are same price but PS4 has better specs. Why hasn't Microsoft dropped the price down to $350? That would work in favor of Xbone.

Not surprising. Sony even at the same price point has the "better" system and hype.
IWhile Microsoft corrected a lot of their mistakes, they still fighting the hype machine.
Microsoft needs a bit more then just Minecraft, Halo, Gears of War, and Forza.

I love my xbox one, love the social side of it. Console's will never be as good as high end pc however i love how everything just works on consoles.

Its try Halo was one of the main game i wanted to get on the console, there wasnt anything on the PS4 that I was really after.

You really need to look at it per market. In the US the xbox sales are stronger and for most of us that is what matters. The PS4 still has about a million more units sold in the US over the xbone but weekly sales are a lot closer.

Personally I went with the xbone for the social side and the integration with tv. I was planning on picking up a PS4 as well at some point(I've owned the other sony consoles) but honestly the integration, as bad as it can be, on the xbone is a killer feature for me. I don't want to go back to the old separate system. I like the pop ups that tell me a friend is online or how I can get an invite while watching tv. Throwing up the news or a football game in the corner while goofing off in minecraft or whatever is just such a great feature.

Even without that insane "just buy an xbox 360" exec, I think that even if the ps4 was a bit more expensive than the xbox it would still be selling better. The word has gotten out that it is slightly more powerful for gaming, and that matters to people more than is being let on.

Well when Bloodborne comes out Sony is going to have one more PS4 customer :)

I won't buy either because neither produce graphics that I haven't seen before.

You really need to look at it per market. In the US the xbox sales are stronger and for most of us that is what matters. The PS4 still has about a million more units sold in the US over the xbone but weekly sales are a lot closer.

Personally I went with the xbone for the social side and the integration with tv. I was planning on picking up a PS4 as well at some point(I've owned the other sony consoles) but honestly the integration, as bad as it can be, on the xbone is a killer feature for me. I don't want to go back to the old separate system. I like the pop ups that tell me a friend is online or how I can get an invite while watching tv. Throwing up the news or a football game in the corner while goofing off in minecraft or whatever is just such a great feature.

True, but overall still has a bit of impact on games getting made for the console. They knew which markets Xbox was strong and which ones they are going to need a lot of work in. They did come out and up till recently getting beat in even their strongest markets.

Features are nice, though most consumers have a hard time justifing 400 dollars for a settop box, netflix box, or nfl box.

Overall Microsoft i think reacted decently fast enough to turn around the image and sales to compete better then they have. Just look at the difference between last years e3 and this years one. Hopefully halo brand isnt hurt to bad come next november with halo 5 and get more people to buy xbone.

Interesting take, i fall on the exact opposite of that spectrum. I utterly hated MS for what they tried to pull with the XB1 and it instantly went on the list of I would never buy it until they fixed that. Said problems have been fixed and it is quite a decent machine, which makes me happy as I have traditionally owned all 3 consoles. That all said, I do plan on buying the XB1 once a few more games i am interested in come out, But I utterly hate all the social/Tv crap. The last thing i want my console doing is notifying me what people are doing if I'm not playing it, hell I barely tolerate the notifications when I am. This mostly due to I really only play single player type games on a console and anything multiplayer is PC for me. Again, not knocking it, just saying I have the opposite take on it.

I have both and use the Xbox daily while I wait for games for the PS4. I do like the one's controller better, but the only PS4 game I own is Last of Us so haven't used it much.

Interesting take, i fall on the exact opposite of that spectrum. I utterly hated MS for what they tried to pull with the XB1 and it instantly went on the list of I would never buy it until they fixed that. Said problems have been fixed and it is quite a decent machine, which makes me happy as I have traditionally owned all 3 consoles. That all said, I do plan on buying the XB1 once a few more games i am interested in come out, But I utterly hate all the social/Tv crap. The last thing i want my console doing is notifying me what people are doing if I'm not playing it, hell I barely tolerate the notifications when I am. This mostly due to I really only play single player type games on a console and anything multiplayer is PC for me. Again, not knocking it, just saying I have the opposite take on it.

To each his own. I have friends I don't see that often that I will game with from time to time. I also ended up playing titan fall for instance with people on the opposite side of the US(some in Hawaii and I'm in Virginia). We could text each other or in the case of how it usually went down if a few of us were playing someone would send out an invite to the others online. If I wasn't doing anything better I'd hop on. Destiny kinda destroyed this with its 3 player co-op but we still play the PVP from time to time.

A lot of people were pissed with the xbone first details. I had figured the graphics would be pretty close between it and the PS4 so I was more interested in the extras. Mind you MS has screwed up a lot of this. Generally though it works well enough that I'm happy with the new setup.

Generally I have owned the main consoles. This is the first gen I don't think I will. Last time I didn't keep a ps3 long as most of the games I wanted to play were on it and the 360 and the 360's multiplayer was better to me. I also didn't play the wii much other than nintendo's first party stuff and tiger woods. This time I haven't had a reason to pick up the wii u yet. Nintendo is all about first party games and it hasn't had the big ones on it yet. I might pick one up at some point but I'm still not sure. It will be the first nintendo home console since the NES came out in the US I might not own. With the PS4 I might get one at some point for the exclusives on it but I'm still not sure. Part of it is that I don't game as much as I used to.

No surprise really. Both consoles are same price but PS4 has better specs. Why hasn't Microsoft dropped the price down to $350? That would work in favor of Xbone.

Specs matter to a degree. But, they are still fairly close with the end result on games for cross platform. So, next thing to consider - games.

Sega Master System was technically a better machine. NES had the larger, more comprehensive library. It was all about the games. The graphics and sound were close, so it wasn't a huge difference. This is what I'm seeing this generation. A lot of focus on the specs, but it still comes down to the games. What games do people want to play? That's they system they will get. For some, it's the PS4. For others, it's the XBox One. I wouldn't buy a PS4 if I wanted to play Titanfall (leaving PC out for now). I'd buy an XBO.

I'm wondering if there might be a holiday sale coming soon that has a temp price cut (similar to earlier in the year, when I got mine). $350 would be a good point to be at. I'd guess that a lot of sales would happen then.

Specs matter to a degree. But, they are still fairly close with the end result on games for cross platform. So, next thing to consider - games.

Sega Master System was technically a better machine. NES had the larger, more comprehensive library. It was all about the games. The graphics and sound were close, so it wasn't a huge difference. This is what I'm seeing this generation. A lot of focus on the specs, but it still comes down to the games. What games do people want to play? That's they system they will get. For some, it's the PS4. For others, it's the XBox One. I wouldn't buy a PS4 if I wanted to play Titanfall (leaving PC out for now). I'd buy an XBO.

I'm wondering if there might be a holiday sale coming soon that has a temp price cut (similar to earlier in the year, when I got mine). $350 would be a good point to be at. I'd guess that a lot of sales would happen then.

The console with the best specs pretty much never wins it seems. It has always been marketing and games.

NES was less powerful than the Master system

4th gen the snes won word wide(I can't remember if the genesis won in the US or not) but it was against far more powerful systems like the neo geo, neo geo cd, hell I think the turbo graphic was supposed to be more powerful.

5th gen the psx killed it and was one of the least powerful at least compared to the n64 and sega saturn.

6th the ps2 was the least powerful and won.

The handhelds have pretty much followed the same trend.

The console with the best specs pretty much never wins it seems. It has always been marketing and games.

4th gen the snes won word wide(I can't remember if the genesis won in the US or not) but it was against far more powerful systems like the neo geo, neo geo cd, hell I think the turbo graphic was supposed to be more powerful.

TG16 was inferior to the SNES & Genesis.

5th gen the psx killed it and was one of the least powerful at least compared to the n64 and sega saturn.

Saturn was great at 2D, but not as good as the PSX on 3D. Sega became a clusterfuck after the Genesis. Mostly due to Sega of Japan being dicks to SoA. Could have had Silicon Graphics in the Saturn, but Japan said no... :/ So, they sent them to Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Saturn was great at 2D, but not as good as the PSX on 3D. Sega became a clusterfuck after the Genesis. Mostly due to Sega of Japan being dicks to SoA. Could have had Silicon Graphics in the Saturn, but Japan said no... :/ So, they sent them to Nintendo.
[/QUOTE]

In theory the saturn was more powerful but it was next to impossible to use.

As far as sega yea they screwed up hard. Not only did sega of america have the line on the sgi stuff(they joked with the sgi guys that another company with an "n" in its name when japan trashed the idea), sony was interested in sega working with them on the tech that because the playstation.

Saturn was great at 2D, but not as good as the PSX on 3D. Sega became a clusterfuck after the Genesis. Mostly due to Sega of Japan being dicks to SoA. Could have had Silicon Graphics in the Saturn, but Japan said no... :/ So, they sent them to Nintendo.
[/QUOTE]

I know right, but if you have read that book, you know that SOJ was bashing SOA design on Sonic 1 for the longest time.

I know right, but if you have read that book, you know that SOJ was bashing SOA design on Sonic 1 for the longest time.[/QUOTE]

Read the book, lived through the time... There was a lot of "rumors" back in the day about that, too. Sad that it was all true. SOJ was really raining on their parade for a lot of stuff....

In theory the saturn was more powerful but it was next to impossible to use. [/QUOTE]

Something about multiple processors, etc.. Hard to program and Sony actually had an easy to use SDK for their console, which was a first.

Saturn had a PC card available, too... But, it still used it's own rendering technology (squares instead of triangles), and wasn't compatible with other technologies.

Yes, the Sega Saturn had a dual processors, which, at the time, was very hard to code for and take advantage of, so few games actually used it properly.
It was the one console of Sega's that I never cared for, and that controller... wtf.

6th the ps2 was the least powerful and won.

The handhelds have pretty much followed the same trend.

From my understanding, snes was behind till they came out with Donkey kong country. Plus nintendo changed the policy of no blood thus the great mk2! Sega did have a helluva a marketing games, plus the older gamers loved the more mature attitude sega had, and a year or two start. you cant compare it to neo geo because snk knew going in they priced themselves out of that segment of the market and wasnt targeting it.

while i think the n64 was more powerful, some argue the psx was. sega saturn was a hard system to program for with its multi cpu and other chips to program for. Sony came out of the gate strong with a solid system that was easy to develop for, cheaper to make games for then the n64, and had games people wanted.

ps2 gen: that gen the competing consoles was a joke. Nintendo still being nintendo, released a weird little but good system that had some quirks towards gamers and developers. Ex: small discs, weird controller, still hasnt repaired the relationship with 3rd parties. Xbox released 2 years and 8 months late. They did well for everything they tried to do in the extremely short time, and had to fight a well entrenched ps2 that had top notch games in almost every genre by then.

Overall while marketing its huge, it seems getting the games that gamers want and developers developing for the system is a key part towards that marketing being effective.

[/QUOTE]

tg 16 was a weird system in some ways. 8 bit cpu with a 16 bit graphics. It could do more colors at once and it almost seems like graphics wise more powerful then the genesis. both were weaker then the snes.

Sega messed up by splitting its games/attention across too many platforms, followed by makeing the saturn tough to program for.

Besides dual cpu, didnt the saturn have a few other things? Vpus i think they were called. Besides the chips running a little bit slower, wasnt this also the reason why the 32x wasnt quite as pwerful.

You know whats amazing, looking back over the last 5 gens, its kinda funny how often the console manufactures make the same mistake over. Hard ot program and/or not getting games. . ex: sony with ps3 and ms with xbone one.

If I were going to buy one, it would be the Xbox.1. for Killer Instinct (Which I got to play over the weekend for the first time. Its everything I wanted it to be). & 2. for the Halo Anthology so I can play it with my dad (Hes a big fan).

At this point it's pretty much set in stone that the PS4 will win out world wide by a significant margin. And like a previous poster mentioned what really matters is how well it's doing in your home country.

The 360 was huge in the U.S./Canada, UK and Australia. Somehow that has pretty much vanished, they lost their lead in every market they were successful in. They have done everything they possibly could do to make it right and it's still not helping. It'll be profitable for MS and will sell much more than the Wii U over its lifecycle but I'd only say it'll sell 40 million overall.

If it pushes MS to stop drop and listen and act accordingly, then that'll be a very good thing.

They need to figure out why, why did people flock to the PS4 February 2013, why did they do it even harder after a fateful day in May, why did even more few throw their hands up in disbelief and book their PS4s after the MS E3 presentation, and yet more doing the same after Sony's $399 presentation, despite the PS4 frankly having jack and shit for proper exclusives and unique experiences until 2015.

Like god forbid they give the evil eye to the suits responsible for the shit that went wrong with the Xbone in the first place. Offload 18k normal workers instead.

while i think the n64 was more powerful, some argue the psx was.

The Nintendo 64 was easily the more "powerful" of the two systems, in that its CPU had far more processing capabilities, it had 2-4x the amount of RAM, and the cartridges loaded games way faster than the Playstation's optical drive.
Where the Nintendo 64 was flawed, was in storage capacity; 64MB cartridge vs 650MB CD.

Doony boy knew things were not looking good and said something stupid so that it'd be the easy out instead of getting fired for bad sales.

Right now all 3 consoles (Wii U, XOne, and PS4) sales are abysmal and well below company forecast.

However, at the end of the day, two similarly prices consoles will be decided upon specs.

As the specs are similar in terms of programability and the PS4 is significantly more powerful horse power wise, the PS4 will win out as being more future proof. Even now the PS4 is showing its chops better in a number of games with better textures.

I hear people scream about exclusive titles all the time. But the truth being told a number of exclusive titles went to PS2 to XB360 when the number of unit sales of the XB360 started eclipsing the PS3.

Now the shoe is reversed. Competition is a good thing.

Former owner of PS1, XBox, and XBox360.

PS4 and Xbox One games are all the same so the only thing I have to go by is the non-game stuff and by far Microsoft wins that one. The software and network features are just better on all of the Xboxes.

I don't care how many units they sell, PS4 is very lacking as a platform and I don't trust Sony to do right by it in the long run. They're not a software company and unfortunately lately they have put more focus on their insurance business rather than in their electronics business.

I enjoy the shit out my Xbox One, and I have the Day One edition. It gets a ton of game, movie, tv, and social time from me... PS4... yea... I dont know what I was thinking when I got that brick.

Right now all 3 consoles (Wii U, XOne, and PS4) sales are abysmal and well below company forecast.

However, at the end of the day, two similarly prices consoles will be decided upon specs.

As the specs are similar in terms of programability and the PS4 is significantly more powerful horse power wise, the PS4 will win out as being more future proof. Even now the PS4 is showing its chops better in a number of games with better textures.

I hear people scream about exclusive titles all the time. But the truth being told a number of exclusive titles went to PS2 to XB360 when the number of unit sales of the XB360 started eclipsing the PS3.

Now the shoe is reversed. Competition is a good thing.

Former owner of PS1, XBox, and XBox360.

you cant say the playstation 4 sales are absymal. as far as i know its pretty much tied or ahead of where the wii was last gen at the same point, which went on to become the 3rd best selling home cosole (not couting portable) only behind the mighty playstation and playstation 2.

The Nintendo 64 was easily the more "powerful" of the two systems, in that its CPU had far more processing capabilities, it had 2-4x the amount of RAM, and the cartridges loaded games way faster than the Playstation's optical drive.
Where the Nintendo 64 was flawed, was in storage capacity; 64MB cartridge vs 650MB CD.

i dont know if i would say easlily. It was spec wise, but also harder to program for, thus some games looked/had lower polygons count then psx. . Had very small texture limitation. and sound chip shared processing power with graphics.. the less graphics better sound. Alot of people didnt care for the muddy/blurry texture filture (the n64 look) and less detail characters (somethign i never payed attention to.) Thus the reason why i said "think". the "no loading" feature wasnt as huge of a benefit that nintendo made it out to be. While spec wise and i personally loved the n64 (it did help shape quite a few of the things that become industy standard) the playstation was overall a better system but not the one i preferred once the n64 launched.

Back