PS4 Pro With HDR And 4K: “The Biggest Improvement Since B&W Went Color”

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Talk about some serious hyperbole—or is it? How many of you are getting a PS4 Pro specifically for HDR? I ended up springing for a slim PS4 off the Target sale since I am still not convinced the Pro will deliver anything too substantial (and the $218 price was awesome), but I am ready to be proven wrong once the embargo lifts tomorrow.

To experience true Ferrari red, you need a PlayStation 4 Pro. At least, that's what Polyphony Digital CEO Kazunori Yamauchi reckons. Is that too shallow a reason to spend a premium over the a regular PS4? Sure, I can see that the red in the Pro edition of the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport—as displayed on a high-end, 4K HDR-compatible TV—is redder than the version shown on a standard PS4. But does it make the game better? …spending £350/$400 on a PS4 Pro (plus a few hundred more on a compatible HDR TV if you don't already have one) just to see a redder Ferrari is a tad superfluous. But there definitely is a difference, and a noticeable one at that.

2. Brokennails

Brokennails [H]ard|Gawd

And next year we will get the PS4 Pro Plus... The console as we new it is dead. Start expecting upgrades much sooner.

Darunion, NeoGohan, Talyrius and 2 others like this.
  3. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

not that soon, but yes they have already said they are going to start doing faster hardware refreshes. Think the plan is about every 3 or 4 years.

4. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

But, unlike other console generations, forward and backward compatibility is a must. Even with the PS4 Pro: ALL original PS4 games will work with it, and Sony has said there will not be any PS4 Pro exclusive titles. So, you don't have to upgrade.

alxnet7227, Ur_Mom and jeremyshaw like this.
  5. bizzmeister

bizzmeister [H]ard|Gawd

They didn't improve the PS4 nearly enough AT ALL for anyone to be truly surprised by the performance. Pretty damn weak.

I usually buy all next gen consoles to play with buddies that grew up playing on consoles and avoid pc gaming but damn, this is sad. At least the Project Scorpio or whatever they calling the XB1 is apparently going to be very powerful compared to the first XB1. Time will tell.

6. Krab

Krab Limp Gawd

I have yet to buy into this generation of consoles. The last time I did any significant gaming on a console was probably in the PS2 era. My PS3 mostly collected dust. Other than a handful of exclusive titles and a more social gaming experience(which nintendo is better at anyway) I don't see the point.

7. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Adding more color to color is the same as going from no color to color?

Got any more of that stuff to pass around?

8. homernoy

homernoy Limp Gawd

Well, the PS4 pro won't be able to play AAA titles in 4k, only upscaled. It doesn't even have a 4k Blu-ray player. Also, I can't tell if a HDTV is HDR unless it's side by side with a standard UHD set (at Fry's or Best Buy). It's not that big of a deal.

viscountalpha likes this.
  9. KazeoHin

Agree to disagree. I think that (for couch-gaming) HDR is more of an improvement than 4k resolution. I use a 4K monitor, primarilly for workstation tasks, but honestly, on my couch, gaming, I would much rather have a good quality screen with a high contrast ratio and vivid colours, even if it's 1080p.

DeChache and John721 like this.
  10. azuza001

azuza001 Gawd

I always felt that hdr seemed to blow the colors way out of proportion. It seemed like just over saturation when I look at it in stores.

11. bboynitrous

bboynitrous 2[H]4U

Why don't they just make removable hardware and upgrade slots? I mean I kind of get it but it's basically a PC that gives you no choices, though that's not much different than Intel's and Nvidia's monopoly's. If there's a PS5, you'd be better off waiting for a refresh anyway because most of the time the year or two after launch is very slim pickens for games.

12. KazeoHin

They're going for phone-like upgrades. Basically making it so that instead of generations every 5-10 years, you have new hardware constantly streaming out, with all games forward compatible with the new hardware. Like Fruit Ninja: it worked on the iPhone 3G, and it still works on the iPhone 7. Essentially, your games will move with you as you upgrade.

Red Falcon likes this.
  13. canmanone

canmanone Limp Gawd

i much rather have that than games not compatible with next gen consoles. that way i can choose when i want to upgrade.

TripleAgent77 likes this.
  14. GameLifter

GameLifter Limp Gawd

I'm looking forward to the PS4 Pro so I'll have more HDR games to play on my TV. HDR is really nice in Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 so I want more games that take advantage of it. Also, the 4K up-scaling of the PS4 Pro is supposed to be really good in certain titles.

15. KazeoHin

It uses a REALLY complex upscale algorithm that actually makes sharp images with little aliasing. the only issue is that the end result is a bit detail-light, so you don't get the full level of detail as native 4K, but the sharpness is there.

GameLifter likes this.
  16. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

My ps4 is around a year old, not going to upgrade that yet, my tv is even more recent and while it is 4k it does not support HDR so I will wait for project Scorpio and see what that one does, sounds at least more capable of delivering 4k gaming.

17. GameLifter

GameLifter Limp Gawd

Sounds cool! I've also heard that in motion it loses detail and sharpness but while standing still in a game it's very sharp. I'll see for myself in a few days.

18. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

For now. They have already went back on that and said that will only be true as long as the PS4 can handle the new games but that at some point they will require the Pro.

Microsoft started of with a similar statement but then said it was up to game developers if they want to make the games for the new version only or make it work with both.

19. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

They won't really be able to leave original PS4 owners behind unless everyone rushes out and buys a pro. I don't see that happening. I'm not sure I'm willing to buy any Playstation or Xbox ever again if they're going to pull this upgrade chicanery. It's the Sega CD/32X thing all over again.

20. runudownquick

runudownquick Gawd

Newsflash, console released in 2017(maybe) will be much faster than console released in 2016.

21. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Pf I laughed so hard at that marketing line.

22. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

Is it just me or that everything people use to say that made consoles better than PCs are now gone? Either the PC corrected it (using standard ports which can now output to a TV, and have wireless connections), or the console removed it (patches, plug and play, etc.) So now we'll have multiple consoles, and games are even going to start allowing you to choose between better graphics, or smoother graphics. It's only a matter of time before the PS5 allows exchangeable video cards for "The Ultimate PlayStation Experience"!

23. joseardzm

joseardzm Limp Gawd

This. HDR is better than 4k, at certain distance we all know 4k benefits are diminished.

24. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Moar cables!

[​IMG]

Nolan7689, NeoGohan and GameLifter like this.
  25. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

Because Errr sega! :p

26. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Yeah. 4K is a nice plus but HDR and how lifelike it makes the lighting is the real deal here.

27. DrezKill

DrezKill Limp Gawd

Don't need a PS4 Pro to get HDR color, all PS4s support it. From back in September: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rts-hdr-but-no-games-currently-make-use-of-it
    Not sure how true this is, but I HEARD the HDR on PS4 systems doesn't compare to the HDR on the XBox One S.

HAHAHAHA nice, I got mine setup the same way, a Genesis Model 1 with a Sega CD Model 2. 32X gives it the updated AV cables with stereo sound, but I usually just use my Genesis 2 and 3 instead, and leave the Genesis Model 1/Sega CD Model 2/32X for display.

Maybe by the time the price on the PS4 Pro drops, I'll actually want to get a PS4. I do have an XB1, but that was a present. If it was up to me, I'd still be waiting for that one as well. Probably would wait until the Scorpio hella drops in price. I don't usually grab consoles until a few years after they've launched anyways. The stupid-ass console refreshes Microsoft and Sony are doing now give people even more reason to wait. If you've been with Nintendo handhelds for a while, this will be nothing new to you. DSi had some games that original DS hardware wouldn't play. Then of course the 3DS was followed by the 3DS XL and then the New 3DS. All kinds of different versions of the GBA (I have an original and a front-lit GBA SP, wish I had known the back-list SPs were coming afterwards). The screen on the GB Pocket was way better than the original GB screen.

28. tetris42

tetris42 [H]ardness Supreme

I finally got to see an HDR display in the store. It's a LITTLE nicer with the right content? Certainly not a night and day thing. It doesn't make me regret owning a quality non-HDR IPS monitor in the slightest.

29. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

With the right image, it does wonders. When I was watching Deadpool on the UltraHD Blu-Ray and then watched it off of the regular Blu-Ray as well as recording it off of cable, there's a definite difference in picture quality. And Dolby Vision looks amazing (albeit it's a different technology). A lot of it comes down to how it's used though. Most pictures don't need a billion colors to represent them accurately.

30. dandirk

dandirk [H]ard|Gawd

might actually buy a new gen console... PDP is releasing a IR to Bluetooth adapter for PS4 which has been my issue with PS4 (I don't really want a blueray player).

Though I have been looking at xbox since it has remote control, and better backwards compatibility (though not enough lego games on the list for the misses).

31. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Depends, a 4k HDR OLED can be quite impressive. There's a night-time Space Shuttle launch they use in the demo reel that demonstrates it well, especially with the transition and Earth.

Also depends on what you've been starring at all along. If you have a 4k TV or an OLed TV already, you're likely not going to be as impressed.

I have a 5yr old LED-backlit-array (large grids of LED's light) with 1080p that was damn impressive years ago. And this is the first time I've been impressed enough to say "that's a worthy upgrade".

32. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

As a man that just went from a Samsung 52 inch 1080P Plasma to a Samsung 55 inch 4k HDR (8000 series), let me tell you how much better the new TV is.

I used Netflix with Marvel's Luke Cage to see the difference, playing it back on my Xbox One S to both TVs. The HDR version has SO much more lighting nuance compared to my old Plasma. The Plasma may have a contrast edge, but the brightness of the new TV is just a whole different level.

I have an old Spyder 3. I could probably measure the difference, but just off hand, I'd say it's at minimum 3 times brighter, with a similar black level. Its pretty epic.

33. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

I'm waiting for the PS4 Pro+. :cool:

Hyperbole aside, it would be pretty nice if there were a 1080p ultra quality mode available in PS4 Pro games since it might look better at couch distance, regardless of whether the user has a 4K screen or not.

34. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

I saw a write up on tomb raider. They are giving you 3 options to change from: improved visuals 1080p, 4k 30fps, or 1080p 60fps. I would really enjoy this on many more games.

pxc likes this.
  35. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

I had to google that PDP adapter. $30 is kind of high for no remote, but I'm in IF it works with Plex. Current PDP remote doesnt

36. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Same reason why modular phones never took off.