PS4 Pro vs Xbox One S

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

So I am looking at buying a console. Just not sure which one to get. I do have a 4K TV, so which one of these consoles are better suited for 4K?

Doing some reading and it seems as if the Xbox One S doesn't actually game at 4K, but rather it's just capable of displaying 4K content such as movies.

While the PS4 Pro seems to be able to play games at 4K, but only some of them?

Main reason for buying a console is for when I have company over and we can all game around the TV.

Yeah I'm going to wait and see myself as much as I want to jump into Halo 5
it's on the PC but Hell you can only play it with buddies which I have none of cause I own a PS4.
I think it's a big mistake delaying the Scorpion though till next year there is no point to it and Sony has a head start as usual not into 4K gaming though just a new console that is thicker in width big deal.

The Xbox One S has a 4K Blu-Ray player. PS4 Pro does not. However, the PS4 Pro can play supported games in higher resolution, some as high as 4K native (some are different resolutions, like 1800P, but look practically like 4K).

So if your main focus is gaming, the PS4 Pro is better. If you want a media system, for 4K movies on Blu-Ray, than the Xbox One S is better. Both can stream in 4K.

Playstation has never been strong at local multiplayer games. That's more of a Nintendo/Xbox strong suit.

I personally have both a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One S. The Xbox is strictly for 4K bluray movies (does a fantastic job btw) and the PS4 Pro is for the playstation exclusives. I do all my other gaming on PC.

I just picked up a PS4 Pro and simply enjoy using it more than my XB1. The XB1 interface is so horrible and those damn updates that lock you out of everything until they're done are painful, especially when I'm trying to watch something with my wife and we have to wait 30 minutes for it to update. About the only thing I use my XB1 for is watching HBOGo, Netflix, or playing Rockband 4. Everything else gets played on the PC... well, until now.

Anyone know if the Xbox One S can properly do PC RGB on a television (rather than limited)? That's been a stumbling block for me for a while.

Xbox One S is pretty much an XBox one that is smaller, with capabilities to play 4K content. Outside of that, spec wise it's inferior to the regular PS4. I just picked up PS4 pro myself since I bought a 4K tv and I want to game at higher resolutions. One of my main complaints with the regular was the noticeably worse graphics than pc and games that lagged a bit. On PS4 pro, even at standard 1080p you notice a major difference in performance, even in games that aren't optimized for ps4pro. Those that are, do provide better graphics fidelity with good performance. Some like tomb raider, let you choose between higher visuals, 60fps, and 4K.

To me, if I'm buying a console for gaming, PS4 pro is a much better buy than the Xbox one S. I am still shocked Scorpio is not releasing till holiday season 2017, total miss. Giving Sony another win after they've already pretty much destroyed Xbox one is a shame. Scorpio this year would have gotten a lot of people such as myself on Microsoft platform. Next year? Who knows...

Get both. However, there is nothing more on the XBOX ONE that excites me since all the exclusives are slated to come on PC. I would rather play on PC than on the box. Also the reason I didn't care for an XBOX ONE S thus far. 4K bluray appeals to me but I don't buy many blurays so...

PS4 PRO is on my radar but again, no real games that excite me except some PSVR which is a fad right now.

Anyone know if the Xbox One S can properly do PC RGB on a television (rather than limited)? That's been a stumbling block for me for a while.
No. I'm still having the same issues with trying to get full RGB to work on my TV with the S. PS4 works with no issues on my TV in full RGB by contrast.

No. I'm still having the same issues with trying to get full RGB to work on my TV with the S. PS4 works with no issues on my TV in full RGB by contrast.

After reading about a zillion posts online, it seems to be a near consensus that MS's implementation of RGB is borked. I guess it has been going back to the Xbox 360.
  • You can either choose to go with limited (which varies between crushing blacks and blowing them out to gray).
    or
  • Full, which negates like 1/2 of the black spectrum. I still have yet to read anyone who can see the "closed" eye via the Full RGB configuration on a TV. There's some debate whether PC monitors can, either.
What's even weirder, the calibration software that MS included seems to contradict itself. If you set up your TV the way they suggest (just dark enough to not see the closed eye and barely see the sun), then you're still killing off a large chunk of the black spectrum. I've pulled up the RGB test images after setting it up and you can't see 1/2 of the squares. Yet if you then crank your brightness up high enough to see them, everything else on your system looks blown out and foggy.

It might be intentional since older LCD TV's and monitors used to struggle with blacks. But these days it's a mess.

Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait for Scorpio personally. If you need something before then, I'd get a PS4 Pro, then get Scorpio next year.

I still think the best game system UI to date was the Xbox 360's day 1 "blade" OS. Every single thing since has added additional steps and made things tougher to locate at a glance.
I will admit that the latest version of the PS4 OS is pretty good, too. Being able to put things in folders finally allows you to sort that weird arbitrary list of apps and manage things easily.
The Xbox One OS is awful. Even 3 years later I'm baffled how non-straightforward most functions are.

I still think the best game system UI to date was the Xbox 360's day 1 "blade" OS. Every single thing since has added additional steps and made things tougher to locate at a glance.
I will admit that the latest version of the PS4 OS is pretty good, too. Being able to put things in folders finally allows you to sort that weird arbitrary list of apps and manage things easily.
The Xbox One OS is awful. Even 3 years later I'm baffled how non-straightforward most functions are.
I know the blades got and still get a lot of hate, but I agree. These days Microsoft is generally more concerned with advertisements for both first and third party apps and services. An user interface that is easy to use and quick to load would limit the exposure to these ads.

I'm going to be biased with my answer because I've been a playstation fan since its inception.
But with this being said, Xbox has some very strong titles like Forza, GoW and more. Not to mention Xbox is able to change their gamer tags, better backwards compatibility, and of course the apparently much needed UHD BLU-RAY.

But at the end of the day, I find it comes down to meeting your preferences.
Will you be playing multiplayer with friends with it? Will the decision come down to more of your friends/family owning a x1 or PS4?

This is what sold me on the PS4, more friends of mine had one than an X1.

I just picked up a PS4 Pro and simply enjoy using it more than my XB1. The XB1 interface is so horrible and those damn updates that lock you out of everything until they're done are painful, especially when I'm trying to watch something with my wife and we have to wait 30 minutes for it to update. About the only thing I use my XB1 for is watching HBOGo, Netflix, or playing Rockband 4. Everything else gets played on the PC... well, until now.
Wait a minute.. youre telling me that the ps4 dont do the same as far as updates? Also most updated happens during off peak times. like 2am without user intervention. Maybe once or twice a year, i have an update which supersedes everything. Even if you dont accept an update on the xbox you will just be kicked out of LIVE. but you can still watch tv at least. My wife always declines updates (so she can watch tv) and let me deal with them when i get home. And the last 30 minute update was the day 1 patch.

Also i owned both systems last generation, only have an xb1 now(3 of them, my room, living room... one s for my 4k tv, and son room). Strictly because of xbox live and all of my friends have them, so we play together. pure convenience. And i do remember those ps3 updates which is exactly how you are describing but not as long either.

I think the amount of lockdown updates cause relates to whether your games are digital or not. Because both systems use online DRM for downloaded games, if there's an update to the OS - you aren't going to be able to do much of anything until it finishes. That's the same on both systems...and the WiiU, too.
If you're rocking disks, I think the PS4 is more forgiving about playing non-patched games. The Xbox nags or locks you down a bit more.

I think the amount of lockdown updates cause relates to whether your games are digital or not. Because both systems use online DRM for downloaded games, if there's an update to the OS - you aren't going to be able to do much of anything until it finishes. That's the same on both systems...and the WiiU, too.
If you're rocking disks, I think the PS4 is more forgiving about playing non-patched games. The Xbox nags or locks you down a bit more.
But i think abyss was talking about the overall OS. And i know for a fact that xb1 updates usually happens in the background. Because im part of the preview program. Only mandatory updates will interfere with everything. which is seldom because most updates are done in the background. WHat is frustrating is when some of my digital purchases requires an update, especially when one of the benefits of digital is that they will update the games in the background as well. That last major update i saw was fifa 17 either 400-900mb which took all of 10 minutes.

But i think abyss was talking about the overall OS. And i know for a fact that xb1 updates usually happens in the background. Because im part of the preview program. Only mandatory updates will interfere with everything. which is seldom because most updates are done in the background. WHat is frustrating is when some of my digital purchases requires an update, especially when one of the benefits of digital is that they will update the games in the background as well. That last major update i saw was fifa 17 either 400-900mb which took all of 10 minutes.
Both consoles do offer an option to download and apply updates in standby/instant-on mode, though.

Both consoles do offer an option to download and apply updates in standby/instant-on mode, though.

This. I have yet to notice any of my consoles stopping me in the middle of something to download an update.

If all you are interested in is pure gaming then go with the console your friends have. If just doing single player gaming then get whichever one you want based on the games you want to play. It really is that simple.

Back