PS4 Pro “Boost Mode” Will Help Some Older Games Run Faster and Smoother

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Isn’t this something that should have launched with the PS4 Pro? Probably, but since the console has only been out for around six months, I guess I can give Sony a pass. The PS4’s next firmware update will include a feature that should improve the frame rate and loading times of at least a handful of titles that haven’t been specifically optimized by developers. Here is a video showing how it improves Just Cause 3.

Sony is rolling out the beta preview of the PlayStation 4’s latest firmware update, version 4.50, and it includes a pretty great new feature for early owners of the PS4 Pro console. In short, many older PS4 titles will run better on the new hardware — even if they’ve not been optimized to do so by developers. Once you’ve installed the software upgrade, you’ll find a new “Boost Mode” option in the settings menu. This is exclusive to the more powerful Pro console and won’t appear on the regular PS4. When activated, Boost Mode “lets PS4 Pro run at a higher GPU and CPU clock speed in order to improve gameplay on some PS4 games that were released before the launch of PS4 Pro,” a company spokesperson told The Verge. “Games that have a variable frame rate may benefit from a higher frame rate, and load times may be shorter in some games too.”

Last edited:
agreed, honestly it should have come at launch. I have a pro but never owned a regular ps4 so I don't know the difference thus far. Couple games in "sonys version of 4k" is pretty nice but really feel that this is the hardware that should have come out at ps4 launch.

This will probably tempt me into upgrading because I want to play Bloodborne, but the original PS4 framerate in Bloodborne is pretty obnoxious.

I wonder if you can toggle the Boost Mode on a game by game basis rather than a universal on/off. That would be nice.

Have there been any games that were reported broken because of this mode? That's what Mark Cerny said was their reasoning for it not being there at launch.

Probably, but since the console has only been out for around six months, I guess I can give Sony a pass.

What sort of reprieve would they get if it had only been out for less than 3 months? Because, ya know... November wasn't that long ago.

Have there been any games that were reported broken because of this mode? That's what Mark Cerny said was their reasoning for it not being there at launch.
Reportedly, Soma will crash on boot in boost mode.

Did Marshawn Lynch join Sony after retiring from the NFL? Nice...

This will probably tempt me into upgrading because I want to play Bloodborne, but the original PS4 framerate in Bloodborne is pretty obnoxious.
Yep. I'm also planning on Bloodborne. Already have the PS4 Pro and Bloodborne, just waiting for the time to play it (and now for firmware 4.5 to launch, apparently)

Bloodborne is still capped at 30FPS it just drops below the cap less often. The frame times still don't seem very even though, so it doesn't look as smoothly animated as Dark Souls 1 on PC. To me at least.

With a 2TB SSHD loading times going back and forth between the Hunter's Dream/First Floor Sickroom went from 18 seconds to arrive in the sick room and 12 seconds get back to the Dream to 16 & 10.5 seconds. That was after going back and forth between the two areas a bunch of times and exiting the game twice where they settled. I'd be interested to see if there's any change with internal SSDs as its believed that Sony was throttling the throughput. (Or if having internal storage that's too fast breaks any games?)

Of course USB 3.0 external storage is supported (FINALLY) with the same firmware update, so I'd probably go with faster, cheaper desktop storage if I was upgrading now. (Again, assuming that it works as expected and doesn't break anything. I haven't seen any reports as to how well it works.)

To clarify a few things:
1) There's a single on/off Boost Mode toggle in System Settings. Changing modes requires closing any running applications (games).
2) Games with hard capped framerates of 30 or 60 FPS can't exceed those caps without a patch from the developer.
3) Games with uncapped framerates can run better provided they aren't broken.

I wonder if you can toggle the Boost Mode on a game by game basis rather than a universal on/off. That would be nice.

Yep. I'm also planning on Bloodborne. Already have the PS4 Pro and Bloodborne, just waiting for the time to play it (and now for firmware 4.5 to launch, apparently)

I so AGREE its probably the only game I had interest in but stopped playing cause the frames where horrible on original ps4

This seriously seems backwards, boost mode for older games....
Well, new games already optimized for PS4 Pro don't need "Boost Mode". Maybe you're not understanding how this works. All Boost Mode does is open up older PS4 games to use the full hardware of the PS4 Pro.

Bloodborne is still capped at 30FPS it just drops below the cap less often. The frame times still don't seem very even though, so it doesn't look as smoothly animated as Dark Souls 1 on PC. To me at least.

With a 2TB SSHD loading times going back and forth between the Hunter's Dream/First Floor Sickroom went from 18 seconds to arrive in the sick room and 12 seconds get back to the Dream to 16 & 10.5 seconds. That was after going back and forth between the two areas a bunch of times and exiting the game twice where they settled. I'd be interested to see if there's any change with internal SSDs as its believed that Sony was throttling the throughput. (Or if having internal storage that's too fast breaks any games?)

I have a Crucial SSD internal on my PS4 Pro. Haven't had any problems. Just save a few secs on loading. I originally bought it for my PS4, when I was playing Destiny. I hated the pauses when it'd have to load the next zone. Still there, but not as long.

I can't imagine you'd see much difference between the SSHD and an SSD, considering your drop in loads looks comparable to what you'd get going from the HDD to SSD.

I'm also really curious as to whether or not this helps Hawken.
Love the game on the PC, but want to play with a controller (and stand a chance...), but frame rate issues on console are terrible.

I'm also really curious as to whether or not this helps Hawken.
Love the game on the PC, but want to play with a controller (and stand a chance...), but frame rate issues on console are terrible.
I gave Hawken a try a little earlier and recorded some footage. I think I'll use it in my EGL tryout tape. ;) I'm kind of the opposite in that while I'm not a competitive player in shooters with KB+Mouse I'm dreadful with a controller.

I gave Hawken a try a little earlier and recorded some footage. I think I'll use it in my EGL tryout tape. ;) I'm kind of the opposite in that while I'm not a competitive player in shooters with KB+Mouse I'm dreadful with a controller.
I'm way worse at aiming with a controller (and the Sharp Shooter is my main on PC...), but movement is much more fun with it.

Is the video with firmware 4.5 or earlier? I don't see it mentioned.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAO6AAAAJDBjMmI0NTE4LTUyNWItNGJiOS1iOGRlLTI4YjdjZTRmMmEwYw.jpg

I'm way worse at aiming with a controller (and the Sharp Shooter is my main on PC...), but movement is much more fun with it.

Is the video with firmware 4.5 or earlier? I don't see it mentioned.
I'm running the 4.50 beta with Boost Mode on.

Back