a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
I finally picked up a ps4 last week. I picked up the Last of US Remasterd Bundle which was on sale for $399 instead of our bullshit $449 regular Canadian price. I have yet to play Last of US but I did upgrade my ps3 FFXIV to the ps4 version and played it for a few hours.

So far I'm liking the controller over the ps3 controller, it feels nice.
I'm hoping to grab Bloodborne soon as that was my biggest motivation to pick up the console.

My biggest complaint about the great (and my new favorite controller of all time) DS4 is its absolutely PATHETIC battery life. I really hope Sony has a newer version coming with double the battery life because being forced to buy a new controller simply to have a full day use of a controller is unacceptable. My Xbox one controller lasts about 3-4 days with heavy gameplay before I need to charge it.

My biggest complaint about the great (and my new favorite controller of all time) DS4 is its absolutely PATHETIC battery life. I really hope Sony has a newer version coming with double the battery life because being forced to buy a new controller simply to have a full day use of a controller is unacceptable. My Xbox one controller lasts about 3-4 days with heavy gameplay before I need to charge it.

If you haven't done it already, setting the light bar to Dim gets you a bit more battery life. Nothing miraculous though, I still cycle through two controllers so I'd ibt ha e to worry about batteries going dead while playing.

I bought a new PS4 a few weeks ago to play Bloodborne...where do I go to find the free games that are available every month?

I bought a new PS4 a few weeks ago to play Bloodborne...where do I go to find the free games that are available every month?

In the Playstation Store, there is a section under the Games for Playstation Plus, in there you will see the monthly frees and the reduced rate games if you have PS+ Membership.

Yeah I've only ever let the controller go down one battery bar (out of 3). I usually only play for about 1.5-2 hours before I start to get a headache, so I just plug it back in afterwards and switch the PS4 into rest mode.

Do the thumbstick addon grips do anything miraculous, at least enough to warrant a purchase? Having a tough time aiming in TLOU...damn mouse/keyboard spoiling me.

Yeah I've only ever let the controller go down one battery bar (out of 3). I usually only play for about 1.5-2 hours before I start to get a headache, so I just plug it back in afterwards and switch the PS4 into rest mode.

Do the thumbstick addon grips do anything miraculous, at least enough to warrant a purchase? Having a tough time aiming in TLOU...damn mouse/keyboard spoiling me.

I bought GelTabz for $6 on Amazon and I think they are worth the money.

I was considering swapping out my DS4 thumbsticks for a pair of Xbone thumbsticks (love the feel of the thumbsticks on my son's Xbone). Watching videos of the process it seems like an easy enough mod to do.

I bought GelTabz for $6 on Amazon and I think they are worth the money.

I'm reading some reviews at the moment on Amazon for these, look solid, going to grab it. Thanks! :cool:

Anyone have one of these dust covers: http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-T...428326169&sr=1-1&keywords=playstation+4+cover

Or maybe a decal skin on their PS4? Trying to protect it from scuffs and scratches, and keep my OCD about hairline scratches and dust in check.

Also are the wireless dock chargers worth it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Pack-PlayStation-4/dp/B00J128FKU

Anyone have used this battery extension thing by Nyko?

as far as the battery life on the DualShock controller I always leave mine plugged into the usb port...always stays fully charged :D

In the Playstation Store, there is a section under the Games for Playstation Plus, in there you will see the monthly frees and the reduced rate games if you have PS+ Membership.

cool, thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Pack-PlayStation-4/dp/B00J128FKU

Anyone have used this battery extension thing by Nyko?

Looks heavy, and the reviews don't look so hot.
I got 10 hours out of my launch DS4 last sunday. It blew my mind. At least it charges fairly quickly... 30min of charge is usually good for 4-6 more hours from what I've been seeing, but then again, the controller is always plugged in any second I'm not using it, so I've not ever seen it die to be honest.

I like the PS4 controller, but it definitely lacks the battery life of the Xbox One and 360 controllers. Probably just because you're stuck with whatever battery they felt like tossing into them.
I use black eneloop batteries in my 360 controllers and they last forever. I made it through all of Dark Souls 2 without recharging. It seems like I'm having to recharge my PS4 controller every day that I play Bloodborne. Not that big of deal, but I would have preferred the option to use our own rechargeable batteries.

I picked up two controllers to get rid of the battery issue.

If I use one, the other is on the charger, and back and forth.

I can probably get a good 7-8 hours on each controller.

Just buy a long ass microusb cable. Monoprice has 15ft cables for like $2.

Also buy the thumbstick covers. Even if you don't need them today, your sticks will start shedding the cover in a few months of moderate to heavy usage.

Just buy a long ass microusb cable. Monoprice has 15ft cables for like $2.

Also buy the thumbstick covers. Even if you don't need them today, your sticks will start shedding the cover in a few months of moderate to heavy usage.

Good deal. If you don't want to wait for shipping.
Walmart has $5 10 ft micro usb cables.

As for your controller, I'm not sure about that.
I've had my ps4 for about 8 months, with heavy use each week. I haven't noticed any kind of shredding.

You don't need to force the analog sticks, they move very well even when using light pressure.

Good deal. If you don't want to wait for shipping.
Walmart has $5 10 ft micro usb cables.

As for your controller, I'm not sure about that.
I've had my ps4 for about 8 months, with heavy use each week. I haven't noticed any kind of shredding.

You don't need to force the analog sticks, they move very well even when using light pressure.

I have two controllers that I was alternating, one shredded and the other didn't. Not sure which one came with the console. I think they had some bad batches of thumb sticks

Last edited:
does Monoprice sell thumbstick covers?...I never thought about it wearing out so quickly so it's good you guys mentioned it

I have two controllers that I was alternating, one shredded and the other didn't. Not sure which one came with the console. I think they had some bad batches of thumb sticks

I think they fixed that issue. My launch controller shredded, but the white one I bought months after Destiny came out(and also the one I use the most, since its on my PC) is still good.

I think they fixed that issue. My launch controller shredded, but the white one I bought months after Destiny came out(and also the one I use the most, since its on my PC) is still good.

if it shreds can it still be used?...I need to read up more on this issue

if it shreds can it still be used?...I need to read up more on this issue

Yeah. And it doesn't even bother me to be honest. Been playing BloodBorne with it.
It's like a cover on the stick, the edge is slit, so it's loose, but the top/face is still one piece.
I was planing on switching the sticks out with Xbone ones, but never got around to it and its not bothering me enough to go do that yet.

Yeah. And it doesn't even bother me to be honest. Been playing BloodBorne with it.
It's like a cover on the stick, the edge is slit, so it's loose, but the top/face is still one piece.
I was planing on switching the sticks out with Xbone ones, but never got around to it and its not bothering me enough to go do that yet.

yeah as long as the wheel/button is still working then it wouldn't bother me too much...although now that I know about this issue I might invest in some cheap thumbstick covers because I do like the soft rubbery feel of the thumbstick

Here's a picture.

yddAK6sl.jpg

remove the 'l' before '.jpg' to see bigger picture

Here is the other one. I think its a completely different material tbh.

grthsful.jpg

So yeah, you can see the kneecap on the black one, when it actually rips off then I'll replace it. Not a big deal, after 90 hours of BB, it really made no difference, and the slit hasn't gotten any bigger. I would have used the white one if it did.
It is ugly though. Maybe I'll replace it sooner rather than later....

I've had my PS4 since about October 2014 and it's been our primary home theatre and gaming system ever since. Coming from using an Xbox360 and XboxLive since day zero, and dabbled with a PS3 and PSN a few years after that.

The PS4 has the same clunky OS that the PS3 had, more or less. I really wish I could customize the tiles on the primary ribbon. It was a tiny learning curve, but I've finally gotten the hang of it. Right off the bat I had problems with the PS4 though: it wouldn't take my credit card, so I used PayPal instead for PSN (probably a good thing); server maintenance during prime times drove me nuts; stand-by mode wouldn't work with a disc in the drive bay (figured that one out much later); the controllers need to be tethered to sync, which is a little ridiculous; and PSN itself just isn't as polished as XboxLive is.. not yet.

Gradually the bugs have been worked out, and I've gotten used to the others. So it's overall become a solid addition to my living room and basically delegated the WiiU to the back of the shelf.

As far as controllers/charging goes, I got this little bugger after getting fed up charging with the supplied USB cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENFVJJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easiest the best thing I've purchased for a console in a long while.

I'm kinda mad that the controller that I got with my launch ps4, and another one I bought a week later are all messed up.

On one of them the right trigger stopped working. Took it apart and the little bar that holds it into the holes on the side of the case was broken on 1 side. The rubber is also flaking off the left thumbstick.

On the other one both the right bumper and the right trigger are sticking. :(

If they didn't cost $60 each it wouldn't be so bad

did Sony change the design or tweak the controller in any way since launch?...I bought my PS4 a few weeks back and am wondering if it's a newer version

did Sony change the design or tweak the controller in any way since launch?...I bought my PS4 a few weeks back and am wondering if it's a newer version

No major revision changes have been made. However Sony has made millions of these so it makes sense they would make a few small manufacturing changes over time.

I've had the white controller for around 7 months now, which is about when the black one opened. So if it is bad, it should be going out right about now. I think after all the PC gaming I've done with it, I can definitely say they changed the material. I wont say "fixed" until they say it themselves or this one lasts a year. I think it will make it. It's definitely not the same.

They changed the material on the thumbsticks. I had mine rub off within 6 months. I sent it to Sony and they sent me a new controller with different material on the thumbsticks, my second controller came with the new material also.

I did buy a 4 pack of grip itz just for the peace of mind. I can't stand a controller with no material on the thumbsticks

I still use my PS3 to play MP4 video off USB drive. Wish ps4 would finally be able to do this but last time I tried you still can't.

Ps4 is a lovely $400 netflix/hulu machine in my apartment right now.

The thing is a great system, but there aren't any games. Bloodborne is the first one to come out that makes you go "yeah I need a ps4 for this". If you play indie a PS+ membership and a PS4 is really great as you get 3+ free games a month on it that are really great, but the money you save on a ps4 you can just spend on buying those games on Steam.

The thing is a great system, but there aren't any games. Bloodborne is the first one to come out that makes you go "yeah I need a ps4 for this". If you play indie a PS+ membership and a PS4 is really great as you get 3+ free games a month on it that are really great, but the money you save on a ps4 you can just spend on buying those games on Steam.

If you don't own a PC or have a good enough PC for gaming than the PS4 is the best all around system. However when it comes to exclusive titles the Wii U wins over everything else.

I think over the next 2-3 years the PS4 will have lots of must own franchises.

Don't forget about Spotify!

This would be true maybe a year ago.

But there are indeed games. A decent amount too

From Call of Duty to the Last of Us.
From Dragon Age Inquisition to Diablo 3
From Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn to DC Universe Online.
From Battlefield 4 to Destiny to Far Cry 4.
From Assassins Creed Black Flag to Dark Souls 2
From MLB The Show to NBA 2K15

And more....

The list continues to grow
Yes, the indie list is quite vast as well. Secret Ponchos, Helldivers etc....
But I think if you browse the catalog of PS4 games that are currently out, you'd see at least one or two that would fit your likings :)

And furthermore, I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy chilling on my couch or bed playing games. Much more relaxing than sitting at your desk for hours on end.
Don't get me wrong, I love my PC..... but there are times, I just want to simply relax.

Local Co Op? No friend of mine wants to watch me play World of Warcraft on my computer, they want to PLAY! What AAA title on the PC let's your friends come over and play at the same time?

Diablo 3, Hell Divers, Secret Ponchos, Borderlands, Nazi Zombies(Call of Duty) etc...

Having fun with your friends or family? Priceless. Can't put a price tag on that.

This is something a Personal Computer just can't compete with. Graphics are nice to have. But when you're talking about a price, it's pretty simple, you pay for better graphics. In the end you spend more. A lot more.
Sure the software on Steam sells for pretty cheap at times, but your $1k-$2k machine adds to that price tag.

PC?
$1k-$2k plus upgrades every few years minimum to play the current games.

PS4?
$400 for 5 or 6 years plus game costs....

If you have the money, both PC and the PS4 come in handy at specific times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Last edited:
I'm kinda mad that the controller that I got with my launch ps4, and another one I bought a week later are all messed up.

On one of them the right trigger stopped working. Took it apart and the little bar that holds it into the holes on the side of the case was broken on 1 side. The rubber is also flaking off the left thumbstick.

On the other one both the right bumper and the right trigger are sticking. :(

If they didn't cost $60 each it wouldn't be so bad

I am assuming you replaced the trigger when you took it apart? If not you can buy some form amazon, the pack comes with triggers and the little spring for them. I did mine a few weeks ago took a couple of minutes.

Back