a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
I get multi-channel audio over HDMI...unfortunately PCM always comes over as 7.1 no matter what your setup is. In my case, I have non-existent 2 channels firing audio. If you have a 5.1 system, DTS and DD work okay. I'm sticking to DTS for now.
While the 360 and PS3 weren't great in the beginning, I don't think there were as many glaring technical issues. The PS3's multimedia support was spectacular even on day 1. The 360's was based on older technology but at least optical and VGA/Component worked okay.
I think both companies were sloppy with this release. It's that growing mentality that has plagued the PC forever - "Release it now and fix it later - thank God for online updates."
Plus...what if some of these issues don't ever get a proper fix? We assume some of these things will be fixed, but there's certainly no guarantee.

Yes I am dissappointed at Sony's release right now with the PS4. No 3D Blu-ray support, and the PSN network is a complete waste, and they want me to pay for it.

Last time for me buying a new release console.

Yes I am dissappointed at Sony's release right now with the PS4. No 3D Blu-ray support, and the PSN network is a complete waste, and they want me to pay for it.

Last time for me buying a new release console.

I am disappointed with the media features, PSN is as its always been but getting better, the only saving grace for PS plus is that I got it earlier this year for the PS3 and got a ton of games with it. I am hoping the still give drive club to PS Plus members when it arrives.

Is anyone having issues with their PS4 - Killzone:shadowfall keeps freezing, I got the patch and had to reboot to get it to play - now iI seems to get shimiring (best way to described it) like sparkles on certain objects. I thought it was the game telling me where to go but it is just random.

also the HDMI link does not work with Hulu, Netflix like the old PS3 remote did (pause, play etc) and bluetooth keyboard support is very very hit or miss. (amazon app I had to use the joystick to type in name and pw ugh.." A lot of the media apps don't seem as fast as on xbox one (I will say i like the netflix interface on ps4 1000% better than xbox one).

How are the rubber coatings on your alls DS4s analog sticks holding up? Mine are completely smooth now and the right stick has worn thru to the hard plastic stick itself?

29upmj5.jpg

Yeah it's a really common problem. I got these just yesterday. They are nice, protect the analog stick, and way grippy-er. They come with a black, and blue pair. Flip them inside out to get them on. Finally figured that out after a couple minutes messing with one ha.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Geeeeezus bink, your controller looks like its 3 years old already.

I like those covers for the sticks, I will have to get some of those.

^ I don't like the design on those. That would absolutely annoy me.

The other ones above the ones I posted get slippery the ones I use however they may look grip! And don't move around I didn't give a shit how they look its grip and feel.

Also to note if the DS4 sticks rubber didn't suck so bad you wouldn't even need these! Don't need these at all with the new Xbox one controllers.

845568E5-A5C6-4FF9-A9F0-9B6C342A31B6.jpg

Last edited:
How are the rubber coatings on your alls DS4s analog sticks holding up? Mine are completely smooth now and the right stick has worn thru to the hard plastic stick itself?

29upmj5.jpg

That's funny. I just tried a PS4 at Gamestop like a couple weeks ago and I actually thought that the rubberized coating on the sticks looked cheap. This is not surprising. The One controller definitely felt more premium.

The other ones above the ones I posted get slippery the ones I use however they may look grip! And don't move around I didn't give a shit how they look its grip and feel.

Also to note if the DS4 sticks rubber didn't suck so bad you wouldn't even need these! Don't need these at all with the new Xbox one controllers.

It's not the way it looks but how the feel of the grip is not uniform. I agree about the XO controller. It would be great if you could swap the DS4 thumbsticks for XO sticks.

I own both consoles and the xbox one controller is a huge step back from the 360. DS4 is far superior and would never trade it for the xbone.

I own both consoles and the xbox one controller is a huge step back from the 360. DS4 is far superior and would never trade it for the xbone.

I also own both as you see from my pics and do not agree with this at all.

DS4 huge improvement hated the DS3

Xbox one controller is better in many ways and in some same it isn't changed enough to really change game play.

My only concern on Xbox one controller is durability.but then again I'm not a controller chucker

My only concern with DS4 is battery life and that stupid light.

Last edited:
I also own both as you see from my pics and do not agree with this at all.

DS4 huge improvement hated the DS3

Xbox one controller is better in many ways and in some same it isn't changed enough to really change game play.

My only concern on Xbox one controller is durability.but then again I'm not a controller chucker

My only concern with DS4 is battery life and that stupid light.

To each their own. I dislike the new thumbsticks on the One.

To each their own. I dislike the new thumbsticks on the One.

What don't you like about them? They didn't really change much. Only real difference is the rough grip around the edge. I originally didn't like that but the more you play the more it kind of wears down. Eventually it gets to be really nice and not "sharp".

I'm torn on the ds4 controller. I love how precise the sticks are with pretty much no deadzone but they made them way too small like the 360's. The ds3 feels like it had twice the amount of range making it much easier to control the amount of throttle you wanted.

What don't you like about them? They didn't really change much. Only real difference is the rough grip around the edge. I originally didn't like that but the more you play the more it kind of wears down. Eventually it gets to be really nice and not "sharp".

I feel like the thumbsticks are too small, it just feels way too different compared to the 360 which felt good right off the bat, Imo. Also, I really like the feel of the analog sticks on the DS4, I like how it's not as far out as the xbox one as well. Dunno... Just something about the feel that I don't like.

Saw a PS4 running in store. Every time you go back from a game to dashboard, it shows a counter 'loading ....' which counts down from 1-90 and seems to take a long time.

Tell me this is not normal. This kind of thing should be instant like it is on XB1.

The audio sections for the PS4 are definitely a step backwards. You can only choose your hook-up and output codec...not your number of speakers or anything else.
It automatically assumes you have a 7.1 set-up via PCM and a 5.1 set-up for DTS/DD. Apparently lots of surround set-ups are also having issues with channels disappearing or worse - just getting 5+ channels of mono. There's also the issue of having separate sound settings hidden away for movies, too. Not very "next-gen" IMO. The Xbox One configures itself for individual parts down to each TV and receiver model. It's far better and easier for a HT machine.

Thanks, just made my decision easier when I decide to buy one.

My only concern with DS4 is battery life

I think all of you PS4 owners may have just gotten your answer to this problem at CES from Nyko.

PowerPak™ for PlayStation 4

nyko-ps4-powerpak.jpg

Add up to 2x the battery capacity (1000 mAh) to the DualShock® 4 controller with the PowerPak. The PowerPak attaches to the back of the controller adding minimal bulk while providing a sleek and seamless upgrade ideal for marathon gaming sessions. The PowerPak easily recharges though the Micro-USB port or through Nyko's Charge Base for PS4. The PowerPak will be shown in concept images at CES 2014 with a release schedules this spring for a MSRP of $19.99.

Saw a PS4 running in store. Every time you go back from a game to dashboard, it shows a counter 'loading ....' which counts down from 1-90 and seems to take a long time.

Tell me this is not normal. This kind of thing should be instant like it is on XB1.

I have not experienced anything like that at all. So, no I don't think it's normal. Maybe some stupid demo setting.

I think all of you PS4 owners may have just gotten your answer to this problem at CES from Nyko.

PowerPak™ for PlayStation 4

Add up to 2x the battery capacity (1000 mAh) to the DualShock® 4 controller with the PowerPak. The PowerPak attaches to the back of the controller adding minimal bulk while providing a sleek and seamless upgrade ideal for marathon gaming sessions. The PowerPak easily recharges though the Micro-USB port or through Nyko's Charge Base for PS4. The PowerPak will be shown in concept images at CES 2014 with a release schedules this spring for a MSRP of $19.99.

Apparently the internal battery is the same size and uses the same connector as the DS3. So any replacement battery that works with the DS3 will also work with the DS4. I'm going to replace mine with a higher capacity one when I do the thumbstick swap.

It's a demo unit running demo software...and it does indeed take a long time to load :(.

I've noticed that on the demo models for the PS4 and XBone that something is off on both of them. I've had the Xbox lock up trying to load up forza demo but it was still responding to voice commands to shut off but not anything else. The PS4 was "slow" with their demos when navigating. At home and at my friend's place, both systems don't exhibit this behavior. I think the demo boxes are overheating.

Just finished swapping the PS4 sticks for XO sticks. I'm going to play for a bit and see how it feels. Here are a couple pics.

The XO stick is a little taller than the stock PS4:
ps4toxosticks1.jpg

Finished:
ps4toxosticks2.jpg

I just played a round of AC4 Wolfpack and they feel great. There is a bit of rubbing at some of the extremes. I think that's because they sit higher than the DS4 sticks. The more you play, the more the rubbing goes away. I'd guess that eventually that rubbing will be gone. They feel a bit like FPS Freak sticks. Probably because they are higher up from the control base like FPS Freak extensions. The main thing is, my thumbs don't slip off of them like they do with the DS4 sticks.

Just finished swapping the PS4 sticks for XO sticks. I'm going to play for a bit and see how it feels. Here are a couple pics.

The XO stick is a little taller than the stock PS4:
ps4toxosticks1.jpg

Finished:
ps4toxosticks2.jpg
Nice work! If I disliked the DS4 analog sticks I would attempt to do the same. Too bad I'm not handy enough lol

I slip on the PS4 but only on the left analog stick. That's usually the one that wears first from all the complaints. It's weird.

maybe because most people have more texture and moisture on their right hand thumbs?

I just tested this theory and it seems true for me anyways. Try sliding both thumbs across a smooth flat surface at the same time and see which one drags more. This could've simply been due to being right handed and using a mouse. Or maybe some other activity throughout life as a right-hander :p

I think the left wears more because that's the stick you almost always use to move/steer (right? it's hard to imagine without holding a controller in my hand, ha!).

And to those that don't believe: try holding down the left analog stick to run around in AC4. Slippage.

Wash they sticks with some dish soap and water to get the finger grease off it.

Wash your hands more often too :p

Back