a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
But there are indeed games. A decent amount too

From Call of Duty to the Last of Us.
From Dragon Age Inquisition to Diablo 3
From Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn to DC Universe Online.
From Battlefield 4 to Destiny to Far Cry 4.
From Assassins Creed Black Flag to Dark Souls 2
From MLB The Show to NBA 2K15

FWIW, most of those are on PC. So if you already have a gaming PC, not much incentive there to buy a PS4. or Xbone for that matter.

And furthermore, I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy chilling on my couch or bed playing games. Much more relaxing than sitting at your desk for hours on end.
Don't get me wrong, I love my PC..... but there are times, I just want to simply relax.

Except livingroom isn't the exclusive domain of consoles and controllers. I play co-op controller games on Steam/Big Picture mode in my livingroom all the time.

This is something a Personal Computer just can't compete with. Graphics are nice to have. But when you're talking about a price, it's pretty simple, you pay for better graphics. In the end you spend more. A lot more.
Sure the software on Steam sells for pretty cheap at times, but your $1k-$2k machine adds to that price tag.

PC? $1k-$2k plus upgrades every few years minimum to play the current games.

PS4? $400 for 5 or 6 years plus game costs....

Here's where you get into trouble. The "$1k-$2k" PC is a strawman, because the "consoles are cheaper than PC" myth has been busted many times over, and courtesy of google you'll find many examples of lower end gaming PC's that beat PS4/Xbone at the same pricepoint. The PC needing "upgrades every few years" is also a fallacy since even if you never upgraded a comparable PC again in the same 5-6 year span, since it meets or exceeds the PS4's performance on day one, it would be performing no worse 5-6 years down the road compared to PS4, since its hardware will have also remained static.

Then factor in the pay-forever online subscription access (5-6 years x $50 PSN+ = $300-$350) and the fact you're pretty much always paying $60 for a new game, versus Steam where you consistently can buy a new game on launch day for $45 at legit third party key sellers like GMG. I dont even remember the last time I spent the full $60 on a launch day AAA game Steam key. Over 5-6 years worth of games, that's a WHOLE lot of savings on the Steam side, not even factoring if you're patient and wait a few months for prices to drop to $15-$30 on a Steam sale.

I'm not bashing PS4, in fact I'm the proud new owner of a gifted PS4 and am loving the hell out of Bloodborne and TLoU remastered - and I say "anything but Xbox" for this generation - but let's not get carried away.

Last edited:
More people need to try hooking up their PC to a television. It's as easy as just running an HDMI cable to your TV. It simply just works. Audio, too. Xbox and PS4 controllers work fine with PC games, so you don't have to buy new controllers either. A decent wireless KB/M combo can be had for $20.
PC's don't have to be tied to a stuffy desk and a dedicated monitor. Once you make your PC the greatest console of all time there's no going back.

FWIW, most of those are on PC. So if you already have a gaming PC, not much incentive there to buy a PS4. or Xbone for that matter.

Except livingroom isn't the exclusive domain of consoles and controllers. I play co-op controller games on Steam/Big Picture mode in my livingroom all the time.

Here's where you get into trouble. The "$1k-$2k" PC is a strawman, because the "consoles are cheaper than PC" myth has been busted many times over, and courtesy of google you'll find many examples of lower end gaming PC's that beat PS4/Xbone at the same pricepoint. The PC needing "upgrades every few years" is also a fallacy since even if you never upgraded a comparable PC again in the same 5-6 year span, since it meets or exceeds the PS4's performance on day one, it would be performing no worse 5-6 years down the road compared to PS4, since its hardware will have also remained static.

Then factor in the pay-forever online subscription access (5-6 years x $50 PSN+ = $300-$350) and the fact you're pretty much always paying $60 for a new game, versus Steam where you consistently can buy a new game on launch day for $45 at legit third party key sellers like GMG. I dont even remember the last time I spent the full $60 on a launch day AAA game Steam key. Over 5-6 years worth of games, that's a WHOLE lot of savings on the Steam side, not even factoring if you're patient and wait a few months for prices to drop to $15-$30 on a Steam sale.

I'm not bashing PS4, in fact I'm the proud new owner of a gifted PS4 and am loving the hell out of Bloodborne and TLoU remastered - and I say "anything but Xbox" for this generation - but let's not get carried away.

First off, I never said any of those were exclusive on the PS4....I exampled what's available.

So you're telling me, those "low end" pcs will last longer than the PS4 in terms of gameplay and keeping up with current and future games smoothly? I highly doubt that.

In six years from now, that low end pc will be far in the obsolete tier, it be hard to consider it a gaming pc at all.

Also, I don't know who said what to you, but you're not required at all to purchase PS plus. And from the games you've mentioned you're playing, are single player core games anyways. So not sure on that one either.

As for hooking up to my tv, absolutely. But as a person in marketing, I can't stand a huge 1080 tv with using dreamweaver, work applications etc....
And what about the infamous "input lag" debate that tvs bring to the table. You gonna spend a whole bunch of money to get the tv to fit the pc master races standards?
Add that to the price tag as well.

Cool, as I said, steam has some pretty nice sales.
As for your third party digital sites.
Good job on not paying the developers the full price when everyone else is. Kudos!

In the end, It's much more simpler to have a console.
Less peripherals needed, less space needed, less demands needed. I know, playing the ps4 for the life of its time, I'll be playing games smoothly and I'll never have to worry about upgrading. So, the whole $400 pc thing is completely irrelevant. The developers have X amount of years to work with the same platform and same hardware specs to ensure the best quality it can produce.

As for playing co op with friends, not one of the games I've mentioned lets you do that on the pc.

As I've also mentioned, having both consoles and a PC comes in handy.

K thanks.

Last edited:
I use Adobe Creative Suite on my TV. It's no different than using it on my monitor at work. The Windows magnifier function covers any issues you might have with font sizes, zooming, etc.
4K TV's work fine, too. As long as it's a newer model that supports HDMI 2.0 it's good to go.
Gaming mode alleviates the majority of input lag issues. Would I use a TV for the Counter-Strike world championships? No...but then again, most players at that high level are actually using very specific hardware and configs.

I use Adobe Creative Suite on my TV. It's no different than using it on my monitor at work. The Windows magnifier function covers any issues you might have with font sizes, zooming, etc.
4K TV's work fine, too. As long as it's a newer model that supports HDMI 2.0 it's good to go.
Gaming mode alleviates the majority of input lag issues. Would I use a TV for the Counter-Strike world championships? No...but then again, most players at that high level are actually using very specific hardware and configs.

Right, as long is it has this...

Which is another upgrade.
This debate is about budget and what's cheaper, not what you can or can't do.

I personally dont like using my tv as a monitor outside of gaming. Gaming casually? Sure, but it's impractical.
My PC and PS4 aren't supposed to be mobile. They should be stationary. For me to have both systems on my tvs just does not work for me.

Work, browsing, scheduling etc? Not on the tv, this is what my desk space is for.

Last edited:
Gaming mode isn't really an upgrade. Most televisions have it. Nearly all of the mainstream models do and have going all the way back to mid-2000's.
Yes, 4K is an upgrade - but that's the case with PC monitors, too.
I can understand not necessarily wanting to use your TV for work - but it works 100% fine and is really no different than using a monitor with built-in speakers. It's an option a lot of people simply don't think to try or assume is complicated. It isn't. It's minimally different from hooking up a new cable box or a console.

More people need to try hooking up their PC to a television. It's as easy as just running an HDMI cable to your TV. It simply just works. Audio, too. Xbox and PS4 controllers work fine with PC games, so you don't have to buy new controllers either. A decent wireless KB/M combo can be had for $20.
PC's don't have to be tied to a stuffy desk and a dedicated monitor. Once you make your PC the greatest console of all time there's no going back.

I have a high end Panasonic plasma (which I had professionally calibrated) and although I like playing PS4 games on it I don't think I would want to play my PC games on it due to the image retention (and possible burn-in)...I like having a dedicated PC monitor...I already have bits of the Bloodborne HUD displayed as image retention...my plasma is for my Blu-ray's and TV programming

Gaming mode isn't really an upgrade. Most televisions have it. Nearly all of the mainstream models do and have going all the way back to mid-2000's.
Yes, 4K is an upgrade - but that's the case with PC monitors, too.
I can understand not necessarily wanting to use your TV for work - but it works 100% fine and is really no different than using a monitor with built-in speakers. It's an option a lot of people simply don't think to try or assume is complicated. It isn't. It's minimally different from hooking up a new cable box or a console.
I understand that.

Most pcs now adays have an HDMI out, so it's as simple as 123. But again, it's not practical for me.

And yes, with out game mode on my tv, I would hate gaming in general on it. lol

Last edited:
Don't see the issue. I'm posting from a 60 inch OLED.
Everything runs here, PC, WiiU, PS4.
If I really want to browse, I use my ipad, but most of the time I'm on here, gaming or not.

If I really want to browse, I use my ipad, but most of the time I'm on here, gaming or not.

Okay, from my stand point. I need desk space. Sitting on the couch or moving my desk over to the middle of the floor is not practical!

A 60 inch, 55, whatever the big size is, it'll work. But it's impractical for me.
I have to have a set up for the system and I have each system for a purpose.
This making an all in one thing is ridiculous.

If you compact everything in one, sure. It'll work for just you. But I like having the ability to watch TV on one screen, and something else on the other.

If you take all sources of screens away, it's only a one at a time use.

Long story short, It's not just me in my house. I have the wife and kids as well.

No way are we all going to bundle up together and watch mommies Walking Dead together and then Daddys Call of Duty or baseball game sessions to the kids homework hour on their school software.

Like I said. I know the tv works, it's just not practical for me. And I guarantee this is the same for millions out there.

And this is a PS4 thread. This is to talk about the PS4 in a console sub forum. Why all the pro PC talk?

Cause we [H] like that...
I totally get it. My place is a bachelor pad, and this particular setup is made for gaming. I don't work here. My work setup is way different and I can't imagine what this would look like with wife and kids. Not there yet. I definitely wouldn't be in an apartment lol

And this is a PS4 thread. This is to talk about the PS4 in a console sub forum. Why all the pro PC talk?

Ask the guy that brought PC up in the first place:

This is something a Personal Computer just can't compete with. Graphics are nice to have. But when you're talking about a price, it's pretty simple, you pay for better graphics. In the end you spend more. A lot more. Sure the software on Steam sells for pretty cheap at times, but your $1k-$2k machine adds to that price tag.

PC?
$1k-$2k plus upgrades every few years minimum to play the current games.

PS4?
$400 for 5 or 6 years plus game costs....

wow you went with a 1st gen OLED?...brave...OLED is better then 4k sets in my opinion...although a 4k OLED would be amazing...OLED has issues that need to be ironed out before I jump in though- a non-curved screen, burn-in and the blue pixel lifespan issue

I am assuming you replaced the trigger when you took it apart? If not you can buy some form amazon, the pack comes with triggers and the little spring for them. I did mine a few weeks ago took a couple of minutes.

Nope, when I did that I couldn't find anything on Amazon and didn't really want to deal with ebay. I'll take another look

Thanks

edit: might as well ask here since we ran into some 4k discussion :) I bought a 4k TV a couple months ago, is my current HDMI cable fine or should I buy a new one? I think all the ones I'm using are 2+ years old. (although kinda a moot point atm because I think my receiver only upscales at 4k 30Hz, and my laptop doesn't output 4k and don't really have a place for my gaming computer by my home theater system)

Any HDMI cable that is listed as "high speed" will be fine for 4K content. Almost all of them from the last 5-6 years meet that spec, so you're probably safe. The same applies for 4K/60hz, so if you buy cables right now, you're still going to be fine for HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 content. They've gotten super cheap now. I bought a 9 footer from Microcenter for $15 and that wasn't even the cheap kind.

Nope, when I did that I couldn't find anything on Amazon and didn't really want to deal with ebay. I'll take another look

Thanks

edit: might as well ask here since we ran into some 4k discussion :) I bought a 4k TV a couple months ago, is my current HDMI cable fine or should I buy a new one? I think all the ones I'm using are 2+ years old. (although kinda a moot point atm because I think my receiver only upscales at 4k 30Hz, and my laptop doesn't output 4k and don't really have a place for my gaming computer by my home theater system)

If your receiver has a pure signal setting use that the TV should do all the scaling automatically. Current hdmi cables should work just fine 1.4 spec http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

wow you went with a 1st gen OLED?...brave...OLED is better then 4k sets in my opinion...although a 4k OLED would be amazing...OLED has issues that need to be ironed out before I jump in though- a non-curved screen, burn-in and the blue pixel lifespan issue

Did I say OLED? Sorry, I meant LED.
Its a LCD, LED Samsung, 3rd gen I believe.
6-series. 240hz and all that jazz, no smart tv junk. Quite wonderful set, got it on sale last year for $800

OLED = serious business :)
Id' trade my 4K set for an OLED set in a second. It's like a flat panel CRT with all of the best things about both.

OLED = serious business :)
Id' trade my 4K set for an OLED set in a second. It's like a flat panel CRT with all of the best things about both.

Yeah, one letter makes such a huge difference :)
The only OLED I have is my Vita. OLED still has some issues to work out before I buy an actual TV though(splotches in the dark are very annoying), and price of course...

for what its worth, I regret buying my ps4. I got excited, played Destiny, enjoyed that for a month and now the thing is sitting there collecting dust. All the games that are anticipated aren't exclusive to the PS4 for the most part, and my PC runs them better. I'd rather own a lot of the indie games on my PC because at least on steam, I know that I'll have them if I upgrade my computer. PS4 will die one day and there will be a PS5 and all those games will be gone once they stop the support. I don't see a need to buy a console that's trying to mimic a PC. Just my personal preference. I plan on selling this thing before I move

edit: also this is the first time I've owned a new console besides Nintendo and I probably won't be doing it again unless they start focusing more on exclusives that are good like Nintendo does

I would say I'm disappointed in my PS4, but I don't necessarily think I regret it. Bloodborne is a really top notch game, Destiny wasn't horrible, I'll probably end up getting the Last of Us remaster at some point, and Uncharted will almost certainly be great. Ditto with some of those early Capcom demos that will (hopefully) come to fruition at some point. The PS4 isn't going anywhere.
My biggest gripe is the acceptance that 30fps is good enough. As a result, if there is ever a multiplatform title, I'll never buy the console version of it. Only the worst of the worst PC ports cap at 30fps, and there are usually hacks to fix that. That said, the Xbox One is in the same boat if not a bit worse.

Yeah, one letter makes such a huge difference :)
The only OLED I have is my Vita. OLED still has some issues to work out before I buy an actual TV though(splotches in the dark are very annoying), and price of course...

Actually that issue is specific to the Vita. I have the EC9300 OLED, and there are no dark splotches on the screen.

Actually that issue is specific to the Vita. I have the EC9300 OLED, and there are no dark splotches on the screen.

I had a droid razr that had similar 'problem'. I think newer oled displays no longer have that issue anymore.

I would say I'm disappointed in my PS4, but I don't necessarily think I regret it. Bloodborne is a really top notch game, Destiny wasn't horrible, I'll probably end up getting the Last of Us remaster at some point, and Uncharted will almost certainly be great. Ditto with some of those early Capcom demos that will (hopefully) come to fruition at some point. The PS4 isn't going anywhere.
My biggest gripe is the acceptance that 30fps is good enough. As a result, if there is ever a multiplatform title, I'll never buy the console version of it. Only the worst of the worst PC ports cap at 30fps, and there are usually hacks to fix that. That said, the Xbox One is in the same boat if not a bit worse.

Final fantasy A realm reborn is on the PS3, PS4 and PC.

I have both the PS4 and the PC versions.

Tbh, I love the Ps4 version better. It runs very smooth and is excellent with the controller. I recommend trying it.

Final fantasy A realm reborn is on the PS3, PS4 and PC.

I have both the PS4 and the PC versions.

Tbh, I love the Ps4 version better. It runs very smooth and is excellent with the controller. I recommend trying it.

Final Fantasy XIV is proof positive that a modern MMO can run well on a console. Even the controller is excellent once you learn the ins and outs of it. It amazes me how they were able to translate all the KB/mouse commands over to the PS4 controller. And the game runs and looks good too. Does it look and run as well on the PS4 as it does on a high end gaming PC? No, but it is pretty close.

I'll probably end up getting the Last of Us remaster at some point, and Uncharted will almost certainly be great.

If you never played it on PS3, its really a must-get. Saw a code for it on SD for like $12.99 last week. No brainer at that kind of pricepoint.

Protip: The game took a few hours to acclimate to. My fault, as I went thinking it was going to be like Uncharted with button mashing action. I was wrong. Turned out that patience and stealth were more often the smarter play. After I settled into that approach, the game became infinitely more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Tlou is way more enjoyable the higher the difficulty you choose at the start. Grounded feels like how it was meant to be played even if it's your first go. You can die in 1 or 2 shots and have very limited ammo makes stealth play more rewarding.

The newer Vitas are not using OLED displays.
I was referring to newer oled displays in general not the newer vitas.

One thing I wish they would add is, some sort of notepad.

Heres what I would want it for.

I have like a ton of friends on my PSN.

Average of like 18-30 players on at any time.

I know specifically like 5-10 of them. The others with out refreshing where and which game we met, I'm clueless.

It would be cool to place a little note of your own next to each name, so you can remember who's who.

Example :
(Destiny -raid first guy completed with)

(Call of Duty- tore it up with him for hours straight)

(Farcry 4 - did a sweet co op with)

Obviously those examples are pretty basic, but it would help me keep interactions up and deletions of names down.

Steam is the same! I've had people on my friends list for seriously years and have no clue where they come from, lol

Last edited:
software update 2.51 was released yesterday:

•System software stability during use of some features has been improved

•Operation quality during use of some applications has been improved

Back