PS4 on 4k vs 1080p tv

deasnutz

Limp Gawd
Before I try it out for myself can I please get some opinions on how 1080P games on the PS4 look on 4K TVs ?

Can't live with blurry scaling. Please cite examples if you have data. Thx

I was curious as well, and also curious if a receiver with 4K upscaling makes much of a difference.

Can't speak to the PS4, but the XBone looks pretty damn good on my sammy 4k TV. No blur that I'm noticing.

1080p is exactly 1/4 the pixels of 4k, so it doesn't need to scale 1080p. There will be no blur.

Does chroma 4:4:4 make a difference with the PS4, since it supports Deep Color?

1080p is exactly 1/4 the pixels of 4k, so it doesn't need to scale 1080p. There will be no blur.

I've heard this, but doesn't it depend on the scalar? Some say it doesn't necessarily follow this ratio when upscaling.

I've heard this, but doesn't it depend on the scalar? Some say it doesn't necessarily follow this ratio when upscaling.

TV's don't display 1:1 pixel perfect anyway. It's not too likely you'll have a problem.

Can't speak to the PS4, but the XBone looks pretty damn good on my sammy 4k TV. No blur that I'm noticing.
1600x900 with FXAA -> 1920x1080 -> 3840x2160
if there is no blur then you are one blind dude, dude :(

I am pretty sure he meant UHD 3840x2160 TV, not 4K 4096x2160 TV

While pixel doubling in both directions would seem to be the logical way to scale 1080P to 4K, this doesn't mean that TV manufacturers will do this or even support it as an option. They often apply some kind of processing to try to make TV content "look" better in 4K, whether that be smoothing or whatever. It depends on your TV but on some 4K TVs, including the new Samsungs, this processing CANNOT be turned off and will be applied to all of your 1080P inputs, making it a blurry mess...

TV's don't display 1:1 pixel perfect anyway. It's not too likely you'll have a problem.

Outlandish comment.
If you use overscan or underscan this is true, otherwise they are definitely 1:1 pixel mapped at native res.

The scalar is required when not using native res and this will determine what non native res looks like.
As has been pointed out, 1080p is 1/4 of 4K TV res exactly so the scalar should map 1 pixel to 4 pixels exactly.
You have to hope that a particular TVs scalar doesnt try and interpolate without being told to by user settings. This should be offered as a separate option.
The Samsungs do straight 1:4 mapping at 1080p.

he said 4k TV

isnt 4k 4096 x 2160 pixels?

Where did you get 3840x2160 from?

I dont think there are any 4K TVs with an actual 4096x2160 native panel.
4K has become the nomenclature for 3840x2160, the standard for 4K TVs.
It is correct to call it UHD-1 but thats the way it goes.

I can't imagine it looks good unless you're sitting 20 feet back. The PS4 can't even handle 30 frames @ 1080p consistently, many "next-gen" titles are running at 900p and being upscaled just to get to 1080p.

I use my Wii U and Xbox One on my JU6700 and it looks really good. The PS4 should look good as well. 1080p specifically looks nice, from like 3 feet away it nearly looks like it's running at the native resolution.

I haven't owned a TV since the CRT era that wasn't capable of 1:1 mapping through either disabling over scan or enabling a "PC Mode".

Outlandish comment.
If you use overscan or underscan this is true, otherwise they are definitely 1:1 pixel mapped at native res.

The scalar is required when not using native res and this will determine what non native res looks like.
As has been pointed out, 1080p is 1/4 of 4K TV res exactly so the scalar should map 1 pixel to 4 pixels exactly.
You have to hope that a particular TVs scalar doesnt try and interpolate without being told to by user settings. This should be offered as a separate option.
The Samsungs do straight 1:4 mapping at 1080p.

How do you know the Samsungs does pure 1:4 scaling? I'm looking at a 65ju7500, and I definitely want that to happen with games that run 1080p.

How do you know the Samsungs does pure 1:4 scaling? I'm looking at a 65ju7500, and I definitely want that to happen with games that run 1080p.

Because people have said they are using it and 1080p looks exactly as they expected.
Another mentioned it is 4 pixels per single 1080p pixel.
Somewhere in the Samsung 4K TV thread :)
Hopefully they will confirm if they see this.

We have no proof. The only thing we know is 1080P looks like it's native resolution. That's the important thing. If it looks good, then who cares if it's awesome scaling or 1:4 pixel doubling, the result is what matters.

Because people have said they are using it and 1080p looks exactly as they expected.
Another mentioned it is 4 pixels per single 1080p pixel.
Somewhere in the Samsung 4K TV thread :)
Hopefully they will confirm if they see this.
you forget one thing: when it comes to picture quality most people are total dummies and do not know what they are talking about thus they can keep their uneducated opinions to themselves and instead show photos of screen in 1080p resolution showing eg. this. Then and only then their post will be worth a damn and before that they fall under "my 32ms input lag 60Hz artifacting LCD is as good for games as your 100Hz CRT" category.

you forget one thing: when it comes to picture quality most people are total dummies and do not know what they are talking about thus they can keep their uneducated opinions to themselves and instead show photos of screen in 1080p resolution showing eg. this. Then and only then their post will be worth a damn and before that they fall under "my 32ms input lag 60Hz artifacting LCD is as good for games as your 100Hz CRT" category.

Ha, I am going to checkout that pic on my (non-4K) TV later :)

Comments in the 4K Samsung thread are from many clued up people.
I agree its not hard to fool those not in the know.

After reading that thread since its start, I'm happy to trust what I have read.
If you need more evidence than the 4K thread provides, I'm cool with that.
Perhaps you can ask someone to run a test for you?

Abandon thread. i thought people were asking for advice, instead all I see are thread shitters with their passive aggressive comments.

Yes, my advice is, I'd ask to see more solid evidence of correct 1080P scaling
than a bunch of forum people saying "trust me" or "the result is all that matters"
before plunking down a few grand for a 4K TV. But hey it's your money.

Before I try it out for myself can I please get some opinions on how 1080P games on the PS4 look on 4K TVs ?

Can't live with blurry scaling. Please cite examples if you have data. Thx

i own a vizio 4k 50" screen
ps4 looks amazing at 1080p 120hz

Just because the monitor is a native 4k there is a special HDMI ports on those tvs that just deal with 1080p and its perfect if not better than a regular 1080p tv

Just because the monitor is a native 4k there is a special HDMI ports on those tvs that just deal with 1080p and its perfect if not better than a regular 1080p tv

People are talking about how it "just deals with it". That is the whole point of much discussion in this thread, is the 1080P being mapped 4:1 on the TV, or is it using a sub optimal image processing algorithm so "stretch" the 1080P into the extra pixels? "perfect if not better than a regular 1080p tv" is just a subjective opinion when people want actual data.

Last edited:
People are talking about how it "just deals with it". That is the whole point of much discussion in this thread, is the 1080P being mapped 4:1 on the TV, or is it using a sub optimal image processing algorithm so "stretch" the 1080P into the extra pixels? "perfect if not better than a regular 1080p tv" is just a subjective opinion when people want actual data.

my tv looks upscaled.

Even Ps3 games look good

Back