PS4 - Noise and heat

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Just seeing how everyone's ps4 is doing in terms of noise and heat. I got mine setup last night and played about 3-4 hours of ghosts/kill zone. The top of the console felt pretty warm to the touch but nothing too alarming, however my fan was going a fair amount. It wasn't too loud but you could hear it during quiet / loading moments.

Just seeing how it compares to everyone else. How is your heat and noise?

I really don't hear my system fan at all but I do here the disk spinning up and also mines does get warm to the touch

Mine gets warm - nothing alarming. The fans seem to push quite a bit of heat and airflow out of the unit. It's quiet.

Mine is dead silent. The heat seems the same as the PS3 Slim honestly.

Even installing disc games it's still virtually silent. I have to give Sony praise for that. Compared to a first gen Xbox 360 with its horribly loud disc drive and loud fans this is another solid win for Sony.

This time around they have the smaller and faster overall console.

Mine is dead silent. The heat seems the same as the PS3 Slim honestly.

Even installing disc games it's still virtually silent. I have to give Sony praise for that. Compared to a first gen Xbox 360 with its horribly loud disc drive and loud fans this is another solid win for Sony.

This time around they have the smaller and faster overall console.

Agreed.

I can hear the drive when games are installing and I can hear the fan a little bit when playing Killzone or another game, but it is very silent overall. I only hear it if the rest of the room is dead silent. (e.g. AC/Heat is turned off, etc.)

The noise isn't excessive or annoying in the least.

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again...

I previously had my PS4 running vertical (?) so the buttons and discs come out front ways, and the fan exhausted out of the back towards the wall. There was only like 2 inches of space. Got pretty hot. Put it sideways and it cooled way down. I just don't like the cables coming out the side. Looks weird.

10893314484_f6fb05249d_b.jpg

Otherwise mine is really quiet.

Mine is warm and I can hear the fan blowing. You should also add it's postion... My Wii U is ice cold with no fan ever making noise.. except its loud when it reads the disc when playing the COD games.

PS4
-In an enclosed space with open front and back
-Horizontal
-Ambient Temp 70F

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but here it is again...

I previously had my PS4 running vertical (?) so the buttons and discs come out front ways, and the fan exhausted out of the back towards the wall. There was only like 2 inches of space. Got pretty hot. Put it sideways and it cooled way down. I just don't like the cables coming out the side. Looks weird.

10893314484_f6fb05249d_b.jpg

Otherwise mine is really quiet.

Maybe scoot it up to the middle of table instead of turning it sideways?

One thing to remember when comparing the PS4 to the PS3 and other consoles when it comes to heat. The PS4 is actually upside down. The motherboard is attached to the top of the console where as on the ps3/360 etc its on the bottom. So to accurately compare heat you need to compare the heat from the top of the ps4 to the bottom of the older consoles. Not sure why Sony flipped the mobo around but they did.

Noise is non-issue. Under load the exhaust behind the back of the unit is warm and the blu-ray that it's sitting on is warm (guestimate about 90F) near the exhaust area.

Mine is quieter tan my 80gb PS3 and way quieter than my 20gb Xbox 360. I'm happy with the noise level. Heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

Its laying down on my AV rack on top of my BD player. The back , front and sides are open, so good ventilation.

I don't understand this loudness at all. It's damn quiet. You only ever hear the bluray drive once and awhile and the fan is hardly audible when playing. It's like people don't expect the console to make any sound at all. :confused:

it's a lot better than ps3 on noise level
it's obviously not dead silent but it's quiet enough imo
those who complain about noise probably spoiled by watercooled system :p ?

It's still quieter than that. It's a single blower fan. It's like 10-25 dBa depending on usage.

I have mine on an AV tower.. open front, open sides, open back. It (the PS4) has at least 6 inches of clearance from the rear wall so the exhaust has plenty of room to dissipate and it's on a shelf by itself.

I've seen videos where the PS4 sounds like a harrier jet taking off, but mine isn't like that at all.

it's a lot better than ps3 on noise level
it's obviously not dead silent but it's quiet enough imo
those who complain about noise probably spoiled by watercooled system :p ?

I have pretty much all dead silent fans on my PC so I can definitely tell the difference in noise levels, haha :p

Heat wise, same as everyone else, the top of the PS4 gets warm to the touch. Still it is now cold so the real test won't come till summer IMHO.

Noise wise when a disc starts up or spins down there is an audible sound, but silent on reading. The sound isn't that loud but it is a high pitched kind of squeal that lasts at most 2-3 seconds so it's very noticeable to me, but other than that no noise problems at all. The PS3 slim is probably about the same in terms of loudness when starting up a disc, but it is a lower pitch so it gets drowned out by almost everything else and is less noticeable.

I would say ambient temp plays a key role. In summer my ambient sometimes goes to 82 but right now I'm at 64 (yeah it's cold). I notice a huge difference even between 70 and 75 on fan noise and how hot all my stuff runs. Although that is probably stating the obvious.

Back