PS4: No MP3 or DLNA Support

:( That stinks. I stream videa and play (local) MP3 occasionally. I also use my PS3 to rip my CDs so that feature will be missed as well

We could pretty much deduce this from the 1.5 patch notes, they were worded very specifically.

As I said in another thread, the Playstation group can't shake their Big Media masters, and it will make the PS4 a lesser machine.

That said, if they can't do it right they should just rip all that crap out and make it a pure gaming machine. In a sense perhaps that's what they've done; they'd probably be hit up for licensing money on some of this stuff.

Last edited:
I used to love my PS3 for media streaming, but ever since it started supporting Cineva, I've given my Apple TV 100% of the streaming duty. Besides the obvious inability to stream BRD backups... the PS3 was sort of touchy anyway. Trying to seek to different spots in video file would, more often than not, cause the system to crash or video not to play correctly (or just take a VERY long time to buffer).

It was nice using the Playstation/xbox for streaming, but both had a lot of downsides and drawbacks... be it format incompatibility or DRM. I'd rather just use a dedicated set-top box of some sort these days (roku, ATV, WDlive, HTPC, etc)

Wow, that would suck... I used my PS3 as DLNA client for years, but since moved on to using Samsung AllShare instead. The newer ones even support subtitles and 1 less device to turn on.

Like I said in the headline thread, Sony may be doing this to push their music and video streaming services. If they don't include DLNA at first it will give people a reason to try the subscription service. Eventually it may be added.

Was DLNA patched into PS3 or was it included from launch?

The lack of MP3 support doesn't bother me since I rarely used that on PS3.

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?
No, PS4 does not support audio CDs

This also surprises me as it seems like a very basic function

Like I said in the headline thread, Sony may be doing this to push their music and video streaming services. If they don't include DLNA at first it will give people a reason to try the subscription service. Eventually it may be added.

Was DLNA patched into PS3 or was it included from launch?

The lack of MP3 support doesn't bother me since I rarely used that on PS3.

DLNA is a big part of my console experience. That pretty much ensured I'll put off any decision to buy either consle until the end of next year.

No big deal really. CDs are hardly used these days, and other media streamers are inexpensive. You don't need just one device to do it all.

No big deal really. CDs are hardly used these days, and other media streamers are inexpensive. You don't need just one device to do it all.

Yeah, but it is a downer for a new version of a device not to be able to do something the previous device could do.

This is an old tweet that has since then been corrected. XBox One wont support MP3 but there is no word on DLNA

Err that tweet was from today.

In any case, both consoles will launch mostly barebones, since launch is upon them, so all these multimedia features will be added to both at a later date, i'm sure.

It seems to me that both are being a wee bit rushed, so unless you MUST get something for these holidays, i would wait to february-march.

Err that tweet was from today.

In any case, both consoles will launch mostly barebones, since launch is upon them, so all these multimedia features will be added to both at a later date, i'm sure.

It seems to me that both are being a wee bit rushed, so unless you MUST get something for these holidays, i would wait to february-march.

I'd wait for whatever must have games you're waiting for actually arrive. Then, even if you don't have your multimedia features, you can at least use it to play games.

This is an incredibly stupid move. DLNA is the closest thing to a standard we have. Any delay only makes it less used. Or worse yet not supporting it at all. DLNA is also old and trivial really no excuse for not having it at launch.

We don't need one device to do it all, but we sure would like it to. Who wants tons of devices to do all sorts of different jobs, keep upgrading, keep managing? I am baffled by why anyone would not want their console to also do the basic streaming duty of a roku etc... Those devices should only exist for people who do not have any console and just want a cheaper option to make their TV smart / stream.

It will be the same with the Xb1.

I have been a staunch critic of it, but these things(software side functionality) i have never doubted of either console.

And launch is always terrible, just that sometimes it is more terrible than others :p

Tell that to anyone like me with almost 500 CD's. Its a feature that honestly should be included and I doubt it costs so much or is such a pain to put in that it would cause a fuss.

Taking out DLNA support and CD audio support is not something to ignore. People use to these features on the PS3 and don't keep up with the latest developments might be pretty surprised when they try to use the PS4 for something they expect to be common place.

Edit : Nice , Yosp is the kind of guy to get it added back in. Good news.

Yeah, no CD support, No CD ripping, no local MP3 support and no MP3 via DLNA means you are effectively blocked from using any of your existing music collection on PS4 for general listening or for custom game soundtracks. You will have to buy or stream music via Sony's Music Unlimited service.

I expect it will added by both eventually. I really like that you could stream music from your pc while playing games on 360.

I hope that the ps4 wont only be limited to playing music from music unlimited in game, that would be total suck.

Last edited:
So I'm not up to date on the lingo, but I do plug in my USB hard drive into ps3 to watch videos (Avi, etc). Does this mean the ps4 does not support this?

If you have tons of CDs you most likely have a playback device already. Besides, a SCPH-1001 with the RCA output jacks is only about $25.

Actually I just use my PS3. But that's a point to be made. Still if I get rid of my PS3 I still want something I can easily slip CD's into that's connected to my receiver.

Again its a simple feature , doubt it costs them anything to really leave it in. Certainly wouldn't hurt at this point.

They might block dlna but mp3 I can't see ho because I bet that site he talks about runs mp3's. So yeah.

I certainly hope they add both later on with an update, before I got my HTPC I used my PS3 to stream all of my media to the TV.

I know there are tons of devices that already do it for far cheaper but it just seems like it's something everything should have these days.

Since I have a laptop and several current consoles that can do it- all of which have hdmi out and can do all of that stuff already, it's not a deal breaker....

I certainly hope they add both later on with an update, before I got my HTPC I used my PS3 to stream all of my media to the TV.

I know there are tons of devices that already do it for far cheaper but it just seems like it's something everything should have these days.

Agreed, if i can avoid buying a cheaper piece of hardware to do my streaming and just use a console why wouldnt i? People split hairs over the $100 difference, but IF the XBox one does support CD Playing and DLNA then the $100 difference can easially be seen by having to buy a streaming device

I hope XBone has DLNA or MP3. I'd hate for the big media part of it to be the "TV! SPORTS! TV! TV!". I don't have a TV subscription and either stream from the internet or from my local server. That makes the XBone a simple gaming machine for me, nothing more. Very little advantage over the PS4.

Hopefully, an upcoming update will add it to both. Not that it's a huge deal, as it's first and foremost a gaming machine. But, it would be nice to drop the HTPC and have the XBox do the movie streaming.

Update!

The PS4 boss said that the lack of these features at launch was not a business decision to push people towards paid services. In fact, they've had discussions with the dev team about getting them implemented.

More information here.

Don't most if not all modern TVs support DLNA anyway?

Back