PS4: No MP3 or DLNA Support

Don't most if not all modern TVs support DLNA anyway?
Maybe on new models, but a few years ago it was only available on higher end models. My TV is about 3 years old and does not have it. I use the DLNA feature on my PS3 all the time. As Sony products are a Blu-ray player as well, having the media functions is pretty nice.

Bottom line , LOTS of people use DLNA and started to because of the PS3. I know virtually no one who uses it as part of a functionality on their TV even if it does have it. The PS3 XMB is far friendlier than almost every TV interface I've ever used and its faster.

I'm almost positive Sony will add it back now that an official word has been passed down.

Yea no shit Godmachine, my 2013 TV in sig is slow as shit and so are most models I tested at retail. You'd think they could have that interface snappy with even midrange models.

Plus, consoles receive vastly more attention in regards to improving features. My TV has received maybe 1 or 2 software updates in 3 years and neither added functions or any noticeable improvements.

I use DLNA every day with my ps3, I won't buy a ps4 til this is confirmed working

• Legacy headset support
  • Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
  • Suspend and resume play feature

Are also coming.

Cool your jets people. Sony will add all these features in the future. I'm sure of it. In fact, the patch after the launch patch will put some of the features back in. Hold onto your PS3s for now is all I say. I'll never get rid of my 1st gen ps3. I have way too many PSOne, PS2, and PS3 games to give it up and get rid of all those games.

This is an old tweet that has since then been corrected. XBox One wont support MP3 but there is no word on DLNA

This was posted on JoyStiq 45 minutes ago:

The Xbox One will play audio CDs and is DLNA compatible, allowing users to stream media from their compatible home networks, Microsoft told Penny Arcade Report. This follows Sony's FAQ for the PS4, which revealed the console won't be able to read CDs, won't support DLNA and won't read .mp3 files at launch.

Xbox One won't read .mp3 files directly, but it works with Microsoft's Play To service, which streams from any device with Windows 7 and up, including PCs and Windows Phone.

JoyStiq Article

Sony recently announced renewed support for Direct Stream Digital (DSD). Sony's proposed replacement for the compact disc, in the late 1990s was (and is) called Super Audio CD (SACD). They just recently announced they are rolling out new devices that play DSD files--the downloadable equivalent of SACD. SACD/DSD is to music what "HD" is to television--if you have the requisite headphones and speakers. You are talking about like 2GB per album. High resolution. They want the royalties. This might be an opportunity to "reintroduce" the public to DSD by making the only music option available on the PS4 some sort of "better than CD" quality service--that Sony controls. Some SACD albums are even mastered in 5.1 surround. That material exists--they just never were able to sell it to the public. Since the PS4 will be connected in the living room, possibly to home theater systems, this could be their trojan horse.

On the other hand, PS4 only has a 500GB hard drive so they can't expect people to download 2GB albums.

Or they want to sell some low quality streaming service, more likely. Frankly, if I were Sony, I would be thinking about how to sell the public DSD files or high resolution streaming through the PS4. But consumers don't care about that content, Sony would have to make them care--market it. And I don't think you can get around the fact that nobody is going to pay for a-la-cart music that can't be put on an iphone, ipod, or portable device for the car, ect.

They can patch in DLNA and MP3 and probably will. I just thought people might be interested to know that Sony is currently re-engaged in the "better than CD" format war again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...y-new-high-resolution-audio-products/2762773/

Last edited:
This is an old tweet that has since then been corrected. XBox One wont support MP3 but there is no word on DLNA

Actually XB1 does support MP3, but using the Play To feature. So you set that up in Windows and you're all set.

It would certainly be nice if there was something with higher audio quality over MP3/CD that was just as ubiquitous. I think the average person does not invest in additional higher end audio components, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Cell Phones, Kindles, Ipod/Pads etc. what good is a disc? It's not and yeah those devices lack a large storage space. We're all stuck in MP3 land another decade I guess.

I am unconcerned about these items. I buy a game system to game on. I would have a flawless game system then a glitchy multimedia system any day. Seems like there are so many options for streaming and music why bother cramming it in the ps4.

Back