PS4 Must Connect To Internet Before DVD / Blu-ray Playback

HardOCP News

[H] News
In addition to a day one patch for the PS4, it seems you will have to connect your console to the internet so you can utilize DVD and Blu-ray playback.

This news comes from the announcement of a day-one patch for the PlayStation 4, though it is unclear whether the patch is explicitly required to enable the features listed below. We do know, however, that "at first time use, users must connect to the internet" before Blu-ray and DVD playback will function, according to the press release.

What? Sony couldn't get this figured out before launch?! They are selling broken consoles! XBOne for LYFE!

I download patches and system updates, anyway. So, it's not really an issue. I'm sure it will affect a couple people that buy it for single player games and have no internet connection. But, it's a very very small amount of people.

I don't think this will be that big of a deal. I'm not getting a PS4 just yet but if I were it wouldn't hinder me as it'll be available at launch.

My best guess is Sony decided to step up the shipping date based on MS's release of the XBox One and didn't quite have enough time to squeeze in some of these fixes.

i dont see the problem, it says First time use, which emans you just need to connect to the internet to setup the system.

after you do that you can un hook it and watch movies just fine. you do not need to be on the internet all the time.

It probably needs to update. Welcome to Blueray.

It will probably set your region at that time too.

When I read this I took it as you have to download the day 1 patch to enable it, not that it was required to stay connected. Sony has taken an offline friendly approach with PS4, I don't see why they would change that now.

It says in the press release that at first time use you must connect to enable the feature, not that its' required.

At first time use, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Stop freaking out people.

Meh. Having to connect to the internet once isn't the end of the world.

The fact that I'm not particularly interested in what's left of the launch titles, and the suspend/resume feature is missing does make me glad I didn't bother to preorder it.

I'd be surprised if Sony didn't let you download whatever update is required and throw it on a USB drive for offline updates. They've allowed it on the PS3 this entire time.

I'm sure the day 1 patch requirement has to do with anti-piracy measures. They may be legally required to have each Blu-ray devices 'registered' in order to license it for playback.

i dont see the problem, it says First time use, which emans you just need to connect to the internet to setup the system.

after you do that you can un hook it and watch movies just fine. you do not need to be on the internet all the time.

And you don't remember the people complaining about the day one update for the Wii U or the Xbox One? And don't get me started if they pushed a feature promised day one back, even if it was something minor like the low power state.

Regardless of this news, I can see a lot of people having a long wait through the day 1 patch and supplemental downloads before they actually get to play something on launch day, depending on connection speed/server load.

Sony are owning you games and movie.......

We will identify you........and then do it again......HARRRRRRRRRR. :eek::eek::eek:

I know I should have bought more tinfoil at the store.;)

My question still stands: Would the real slim PS4 please stand up? I repeat, will the real slim PS4 please stand up? We're gonna have a problem here.

I'm sure the day 1 patch requirement has to do with anti-piracy measures. They may be legally required to have each Blu-ray devices 'registered' in order to license it for playback.

That would be my guess and people have no valid complaint if that is the case ... for licensed use of the player you would need to have a properly set region and player registration and that is all this is for likely ... if you don't need to use those features then the one time connection is probably not needed.

Meh, really a non-issue unless there is some huge network problem with PSN on launch day.

Hngh. I should have considered that. I must be getting less cynical as I get older.

That said, I still don't think it's that big of a deal.

But the question is, would you say the same thing if MS required it? Not sure about you but I'm sure many of the same Sony fan boys who will excuse this would be so outraged that they would wet themselves if it was MS and not Sony that had this requirement.

That would be my guess and people have no valid complaint if that is the case ... for licensed use of the player you would need to have a properly set region and player registration and that is all this is for likely ... if you don't need to use those features then the one time connection is probably not needed.

Funny, I never heard that connecting a Blu-ray player to the internet for registration was required to use one, so why exactly would the PS4 be any different?

Meh, really a non-issue unless there is some huge network problem with PSN on launch day.

Well don't worry, even if there is I'm sure many here will excuse it.

Smart , release this information BEFORE everyone pre ordered already.
Now if only Xbox did this with the used game scenario then thy wouldn't have had to go back and change it .

LOL!

Xbox One needs to connect = WHAT ABOUT OUR MEMBERS OF THE MILITARY / PEOPLE WITH BAD INTERNET!?!?! XBONE SUX!!!

PS4 needs to connect for Blu-ray DVD to function = meh, no biggy.

:D

LOL!

Xbox One needs to connect = WHAT ABOUT OUR MEMBERS OF THE MILITARY / PEOPLE WITH BAD INTERNET!?!?! XBONE SUX!!!

Bitching about Microsoft is more trendy.

I knew it! PS4 has online DRM to please the MPAA overlords.
They will then tag your system with secret code...

Boycott Sony!

One time setup isn't bad.
Now if it were required every time I'd be complaining (if I intended to buy one).

It's not just Blu-ray playback, but the enable remote play, or the share button. And you'll have to get another update at some later date to enable the suspend/resume function.

Heck PC's running Win need to connect to internet after install to run.

That pissing me off. I have computers that do nothing but collect data from machines. Why do I need the Interwebbythingy?

I just checked, my VCR doesn't seem to have an Ethernet port on it, it's a good thing it still plays.

LOL!

That was me. But, that was when it was required to be connected at least every 24 hours, so a pretty steady connection just to play single player games. When MS stepped back on that requirement, it was fine.

PS4, if you don't watch movies, it has zero bearing on anything. If you do, connect it. If you're in the military, you know this up front. Have a friend do the update, then forward the machine to you. You don't need a network connection after the initial update.

Both are now non-issues, really. For a lot of people, myself included, it will be plugged into the network anyway. I'll play a lot of online games. But, if my internet does happen to go down (or server issues), I won't be owning a paper weight. I didn't care much about that until the fiasco that was Sim City. That really showed how awful the 'always connected' experience could be for single player games.

But the question is, would you say the same thing if MS required it? Not sure about you but I'm sure many of the same Sony fan boys who will excuse this would be so outraged that they would wet themselves if it was MS and not Sony that had this requirement.

I'd be fine with that, too. One "benefit" of being a PC gamer is that I'm conditioned to launch day patches.

I don't actually own a console so I don't take sides on this MS/Sony war. I was thinking about a PS4 because I don't have a blu-ray player either. But I'm not impressed with the launch titles.

LOL!

Seriously ...? Did you just go there?

The reason people bitched about it is because the Xbox required the Internet at all times to do anything.

The PS4 does not require a permanent connection to play movies, it's a one time only patch.

Author should update the title to be accurate, ie the ps4 must connect ONCE to enable dvd and bluray playback.

Back