PS4 limited to 2tb right now because of OS?

HisSvt76

2[H]4U
According to this packaging
01B548F9-2248-4A54-8AE4-12419AC1199D.jpg

21FAD8EA-DB6D-409F-950A-5CB61C12B8B3.jpg

5F33374B-AFB7-4830-9E41-AF055CD79F81.jpg

6tb hard drive...
hdd_1.jpg

It says some things might not work properly so your pic with nothing installed or tested doesn't say much really.

Im putting in a 2tb wd black for now. If it changes later i'll upgrade. Still wish they would just add external support but no rear usb kinda jacks that up

Yah, true test is to try and put more than 2TB worth of data on there and see what happens.

It says some things might not work properly so your pic with nothing installed or tested doesn't say much really.

Im putting in a 2tb wd black for now. If it changes later i'll upgrade. Still wish they would just add external support but no rear usb kinda jacks that up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Gm5TiR93Q

Guy says firmware 2.01 fixed the issue with larger hard drives not booting up unless you held the power button for a few seconds in his updated video in the description.

But! "*The current PS4 firmware will recognize up to 6TB drives installed in the Data Bank but Rest Mode does not function properly. Nyko recomends only using up to 2TB drives at this time."

Last edited:
So you have to crack the case to plug this in? Void warranty I wonder?

Although why not replace the internal drive, hmmmm

So you have to crack the case to plug this in? Void warranty I wonder?

Although why not replace the internal drive, hmmmm

/facepalm

You need to open the console to install a 2.5 inch drive. This connects to the same internal connecter, it just move the drive on top of the console since there isn't room for an internal 3.5. Using 3.5 drives opens up the console to use larger drives, or drives people may already have sitting around.

These are getting roasted on Amazon reviews right now.

Ps4 is pretty backwards on many things when compared to the X1 and this is one of the primary ones. They need to get this addressed or fixed soon.

Ps4 is pretty backwards on many things when compared to the X1 and this is one of the primary ones. They need to get this addressed or fixed soon.

You mean a problem where unlicensed peripherals don't work correctly? How is this Sony's problem that Nyko sells something that doesn't work?

/facepalm

You need to open the console to install a 2.5 inch drive. This connects to the same internal connecter, it just move the drive on top of the console since there isn't room for an internal 3.5. Using 3.5 drives opens up the console to use larger drives, or drives people may already have sitting around.

These are getting roasted on Amazon reviews right now.

Those reviews are from idiots who ignored the 2tb message and that issue is sonys fault mine works perfect with a 2tbwd black

Fix the fact that rest mode freezes if you use a drive over 2tb just like their last update that froze the system in rest mode if you left a disc in the system that's on Sony

Simple. Use the size hard drive you want BUT don't use the rest mode feature until it's patched. Problem solved then you won't have to deal with switching to a larger drive later on. I'm sure sony is getting slammed with complaints from people about it and a patch is in the works though.

Simple. Use the size hard drive you want BUT don't use the rest mode feature until it's patched. Problem solved then you won't have to deal with switching to a larger drive later on. I'm sure sony is getting slammed with complaints from people about it and a patch is in the works though.

Hence addressing said problem sooner rather than later. Sony let's the most basic shit linger for the longest time.

If you can fill your PS4 with more than 2 TB worth of games, you might have an addiction problem. :p

Ehhhh. I'm happy with my 500. Though I have bumped up against the limit before, did this amazing thing where I removed some games I didn't plan on playing anytime soon or again. Quite revolutionary.

If you can fill your PS4 with more than 2 TB worth of games, you might have an addiction problem. :p

i mean, by 2020 people will surely have enough shit to fill it with, no? 30 "full" games, and your 2TB is full. already possible today.

i mean, by 2020 people will surely have enough shit to fill it with, no? 30 "full" games, and your 2TB is full. already possible today.

Please list 30 PS4 games that are 60+ gigs in size.
In fact, there isn't.

The two biggest are Elder Scrolls Online (55-56 gigs) and Battlefield 4 Premium (63 Gigs) which incluces all five or six of the DLCs.

Not many PS4 games reach the 45 or 50 gig tier, unless you're adding games with DLCs too.( And if that's the case, maybe around 10-12 games currently do.)

And the fact that if there is 30 full 60 gig games available, I'd find it very unlikely someone is playing all of them consistently in their daily life. Hence the push for digital downloads and hence the 1%(if that) of PS4 users that are in jeopardy here.

As well, since the PS4 isn't compatible with saving music as a mainstream music player, the PS4 disk space is solely for game/app data right now.

For the maybe (and I'm exaggerating for sure) 1% of PS4 owners who need more, it's just not on the priority list of Sony's right now.

By the time we have 30 Full 60 gig PS4 games in our possession, we'll all have gigabit connection as a nationwide standard. So another 5-10+ years? By then, a new console(s) will emerge and fix this very minor issue.
If Sony is going to address this on the PS4, they might as well go all out and add external hd drive support too.

As for the Nyko Databank, I love the idea, especially if people have 1.5 or 2 tb drives laying around (like me).

Sony needs to add a PSN name change/edit! That's my dearest concern right now. lol

K thanks.

Last edited:
K thanks.

Giantbomb ran into the 500GB capacity problem on launch day. when you install a 2TB HDD you dont actually get 2TB.

The available games from the PSN store say: All PS4 Games: 434 matches.

try installing a 3rd of that and tell me how your 2TB is doing.

COD,GTA,killzone,uncharted4, and a lot more (that im not going to waste time listing) take 40+GB.

Keep your shit attitude for yourself.

HILARIOUS! And I thought the major trash talk about the PS4 was the amount of available games? Ha.
Or is it available games worthy of buying? Yeah that's the one!
Find me someone who owns even a third of the available PS4 games.
(1%) of users like I said.
434/3 = 144 games.... averaging maybe 10 gigs each? You're more than capable of downloading them all on a 2 tb drive.

Don't be offended or insulting. I haven't bashed you at all. You're better than that.

Like I said, you named four or five games(one that isn't even out yet! )that are in that tier(45-50 gig tier), I said there is around 10-12 total. Which is roughly 450-550 gigs.
So thank you, you've proven my point even further. There is not even close to 30 games at 60 gigs(not even 50) or more ;)

Better yet, I bet my money that there isn't even 30 available PS4 games that are over 40 gigs.

More than half of PS4 games available are Indie, averaging 1-4 gigs a piece. You have plenty of space with a 2 TB drive. I highly doubt a majority of users have a third of the available PS4 games. And for those who do, I bet most have through multiple PS4s/accounts with their kids , family, roommates and such.

Thank you sir.

Last edited:
And let's not forget that the PS store doesn't come close to other digital game download providers, such as Steam. Where hoards of discounted game combo packs/ digital content are available every week to every month.
Steam makes it extremely easy and cost effective to rake up a good amount of games to own. As for the PS Store, you can rarely find AAA titles costing under $30 on the PS Store via a discount.(Unless you consider launch titles).

As well, the PS store DL speed is capped, where as Steam, if they do have a cap, it's much faster than PSN. Resulting in a much easier method in obtaining new games. This goes for physical copies too, game price reductions are much slower on consoles too.

So I'm pretty sure the need for over 2 TB is more of an ego filler than a necessity. Atleast for right now currently.

Last edited:
I hit the 500GB limit on my PS4 just with games like Killzone, Infamous, Last of Us, Bloodborne, The Order, Destiny, Diablo 3, Dying Light, GTA:V and various PSN titles. I do not have all of those installed at once, and I'm sure I missed a few.

Obviously it's much less of an issue with physical copies, but it's entirely possible that 2TB will not be enough down the line. Currently it's plenty adequate..

Here is the biggest kicker this all works great and reinstalled games fine and saves are just redownloaded from cloud right.

EXCEPT one little thing.

Why the fuck are sub accounts not!

On Xbox One all users saves are in cloud everybody has gold on your machine.

But Sony nope so all my sons saves gone.

Just of a few things about PSN that sucks also sub account can't twitch stream.

Sony is forcing you to buy 2 psn memberships for both these things yet on Xbox One , one membership covers 4 on the same system.

Obviously it's much less of an issue with physical copies,

I think physical copies on xbox one/ps4 install just the same as digital, no?

but it's entirely possible that 2TB will not be enough down the line. Currently it's plenty adequate..

yeah, its a lot of space. I do know a few people who just want to put in the biggest drive and never have to worry about it ever again.

I do wonder though, as the generation goes on, do you think we'll see games in the 80gb or 100gb range?

and for the sub accounts, maybe you could put in a USB stick to transfer them? I'm not sure..

Retail discs install a portion to speed up load times I believe but otherwise don't do full install? I could be wrong on that.

I'm pretty sure that Save data and Install data are separate. I've deleted installed games but if I install the saves are still on my console.

Retail discs install a portion to speed up load times I believe but otherwise don't do full install? I could be wrong on that.

I'm pretty sure that Save data and Install data are separate. I've deleted installed games but if I install the saves are still on my console.

Retail discs install the whole game to speed up load times.

I hit the 500GB drive limit quick, bought the recommended 2TB seagate external drive on sale for $79 newegg and put that in. I like this idea better, you can use full size 7,200rpm drives. I trust a WD black drive more than ANYTHING seagate!

I put the 2tb samsung drive in my ps4 because I was down to 50gb of free space left. I've had no issues with it and don't really see the need for a bigger drive. Right now I have 1.4tb of free space left.

It took me almost 2 years to fill the stock drive, I figure I've got 6 years left to fill the rest of the drive and by then we are talking about the end if the ps4 cycle.

I personally don't like the nyko data bank, it looks ugly as shit, I'd rather notch my case and run a sata cable to a large external drive and just two sided tape it next to the system

Or the games might be starting to average 40-50GB's a piece like the new Batman , COD and so on..

Sony needs to add external drive support asap. I don't want to crack open my PS4 and redownload half a terabyte of games. They don't even offer a tool to transfer your drive making it painless.

Microsoft has them beat hard on this front. Just plug in ANY USB 3.0 external drive and you are set period.

The PS4 is almost certainly using MBR, which isn't all that easy to fix. Hell, it's tough enough on a home PC, let alone a game console.

Sony needs to add external drive support asap. I don't want to crack open my PS4 and redownload half a terabyte of games. They don't even offer a tool to transfer your drive making it painless.

Sony added support to do a full backup in a recent update. You can dump every bit of data on the PS4 to an external drive and then use that on a new hard drive (after you install the OS)

Sony added support to do a full backup in a recent update. You can dump every bit of data on the PS4 to an external drive and then use that on a new hard drive (after you install the OS)

Not really the same nice sure if you have a extra empty drive for backup to copy to a new drive but not as nice as saying i think ill add some more space and plugging in another drive and there it is no copy no reinstall or recopy.

Databank still working great hopefully they update the system software to function properly with larger drives.

Back