PS4 Footage Used In Xbox One Watch Dogs Trailer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Somebody in the PR department at Microsoft (or maybe Ubisoft) is going to be fired over this little slip up. The video has since been taken down. Thanks to Edward Cabarles for the screenshot.

That is hilarious. But you can't really blame them, the PS4 version probably looked a lot better.

First they used the PC version of BF4, now they're using PS4 versions of games in their marketing materials?! I didn't think things could get much worse from E3 but I guess I was wrong.

They did the same on NFS Rivals just FYI... i mean, they used PS4 footage for the closeups while they were "playing it" on the XB1.

Fun times!

Well, now we know why Watch Dogs was delayed: they forgot to make the Xbox One version.

Somebody on the Ubisoft/Microsoft PR team got lazy and used the PS4 footage in the Xbox One version of the Watch Dogs trailer and, as a result is no doubt fired. NORMALLY the PR people from Sony and Microsoft like to use PC footage in their trailers, that's what makes this extra funny.

Eh, this happens all the time with marketing material.

How many times have we seen ads featuring Android phones running apps that are clearly the iOS version?

With all the flak Microsoft is taking from Sony being so superior,

How long do you think it will be before they come out with XBone (sorry Xbox 1.1) with upgraded specs.

It's a PC and that makes it easy to upgrade the specs and maintain backward compatibility.

Now they just need to use some 3DS Mario 3D Land footage.

Microsoft and the next-gen X-Box just can't catch a break. As a fanboy of both Microsoft and the X-Box...they don't deserve one.

Just how crappy is the new xbox that they keep screwing things up like this? I'm a PC gamer first and foremost but I did enjoy my Xbox360 while my PS3 mostly collected dust with few exceptions.

This time around I am not even sure I will purchase an Xbox.

Good thing? probably means you can't tell the difference between versions easily.

I haven't seen truth in advertising since I was old enough to know what advertising is. Nothing really new here! I feel old :(

Well, the Xbox guys did think black Spider-Man was Spawn...so par for the course?

Well for Star Wars: Old Republic they used PC footage because it looked better then the PC version. Ya, figure that one out.

How long do you think it will be before they come out with XBone (sorry Xbox 1.1) with upgraded specs.

It's a PC and that makes it easy to upgrade the specs and maintain backward compatibility.

Unfortunately consoles dont work that way. Microsoft is stuck with this architecture for atleast 3 to 5 years. It will more than likely hasten the next xbox, unless this xbox utterly fails.

Somebody on the Ubisoft/Microsoft PR team got lazy and used the PS4 footage in the Xbox One version of the Watch Dogs trailer and, as a result is no doubt fired. NORMALLY the PR people from Sony and Microsoft like to use PC footage in their trailers, that's what makes this extra funny.

Why would someone on the MS PR team have PS4 footage, shouldn't that be someone in the Sony PR team? More likely is that it was Ubi as they should be the ones with both. Or MS outsourced the advertising to another group of idiots who use macs as they often do and they just didn't even know the difference between a Sony and MS product.

Or it could just be a version of the game that has not updated the control butons yet? The PC port of Arkham Origins is littered with xbox controller references/button pictures. Just a thought.

Interesting comment as I've said much the same thing, myself. But most people are locked into the traditional console thought patterns of the original designs being viable for a decade. Yes, Microsoft could easily upgrade the hardware next year and maintain 100% backwards compatibility. But so can Sony....;) It's cold comfort, though, because buying an upgraded console means buying a whole new console, every time.

That's why I tell people to cut through all of the marketing garbage and just buy a real PC, instead. That way, the decision of upgrading your hardware, one component at a time if you want, is a decision that you make, and you don't have to buy a whole new computer every time you do it, either.

Or it could just be a version of the game that has not updated the control butons yet? The PC port of Arkham Origins is littered with xbox controller references/button pictures. Just a thought.

Console to PC ports != Using another Console's footage.

Fable II is the same way with buttons, as are most 360 Games

Wasn't that a Windows Live game though? (360 controller)

Assuming this is true, then that would infer the PS4 being the lead development platform for UBIsoft.

Interesting comment as I've said much the same thing, myself. But most people are locked into the traditional console thought patterns of the original designs being viable for a decade. Yes, Microsoft could easily upgrade the hardware next year and maintain 100% backwards compatibility. But so can Sony....;) It's cold comfort, though, because buying an upgraded console means buying a whole new console, every time.

That's why I tell people to cut through all of the marketing garbage and just buy a real PC, instead. That way, the decision of upgrading your hardware, one component at a time if you want, is a decision that you make, and you don't have to buy a whole new computer every time you do it, either.

The issue isnt so much as backwards compatibility, its more of getting people to buy it and getting developers to support it. Support wise if it was similar enough hardware, i guess it would be no different then selecting high vs med/low settings like in pc. Sell wise.... would be alot tougher. consumers buy consoles for ease of use and support for minimum 3 to 5 years.. PCs dont quite have that.

The issue isnt so much as backwards compatibility, its more of getting people to buy it and getting developers to support it. Support wise if it was similar enough hardware, i guess it would be no different then selecting high vs med/low settings like in pc. Sell wise.... would be alot tougher. consumers buy consoles for ease of use and support for minimum 3 to 5 years.. PCs dont quite have that.

though i wish and hope one day, pc will take center stage in gaming. Man i would love some killer new Shooters like quake/ut

No the issue is that most consoles are sold as loss leaders, so the big money is made late in the cycle when you are selling them at huge profit. If consoles could be just as profitable by selling hardware at a profit from the start they would have no problem upgrading more often, in fact they would love to do it because it would convince more people to upgrade and they would make more money. And the huge development and advertising costs mean even if they say we are making money from day 1 they are not really. They only mean the cost per unit of hardware only is lower than sale price.

A console only exists so long as it has some distinct advantage over a HTPC, otherwise software developers would rush to the PC. For many years now the big advantage was that they typically sold them at a loss to get people locked into the ecosystem. If consoles break that cycle then suddenly the giant mega corps that back consoles will have no advantage in the market and something like the steam box would have popped up years ago and become a device just like a laptop you could find a whole shelf of in the store. But the console makers sold at a loss to push device makers out of that space. Ironically such behavior should be illegal. The only other advantage of a console is something like Kinect 2 or the wii motion sensor where you can force a new piece of hardware across every device.

though i wish and hope one day, pc will take center stage in gaming. Man i would love some killer new Shooters like quake/ut

Many many consumers already only upgrade every 3-5 years. Also shooters like quake / UT are not likely to ever come back for a variety of reasons. Many are hardware and others are simply they passed their time and people just aren't interested in that type of game anymore.

inb4 vlad ;)
rfl :D
cptr

Faster hardware will create a new target which devs will program to.
While older games will run faster on better hardware, some newer games will take advantage of the faster specs and will leave older console owners wanting.
It would create a fair amount of hostility.

Bringing out a new console within 5 years (perhaps more) and making it backwards compatible will also create hostility.
MS f***ed up royally this gen.

Agreed with getting the PC instead :p

Back