PS4 E3 2013 Press Conference Livestream

Aaaahh the Parallelogram. It sure brings me back to the memories of 2nd grade geometry....

Sony totally won me over which I'm glad. I was more of a PS3 fan then Xbox 360 past generation anyways, never got into Halo or Gears of War much of any other Xbox exclusives.

The only thing that would of made Sony's press conference truly epic on all proportions is keeping the sub fee out and continuing free online, but honestly I'm not totally turned off by it. As long as they offer good content and benefits and make the online experience stable and comparable to XBL I'm okay paying the sub fee. I know PSN a lot of times despite being free wasn't the best online experience but because it was free, I was able to accept that. If they make it a lot better, then I'm okay with it. $50 a year isn't bad. I've got a nice job and can easily afford it. Lol.

I have been thinking this over, I'm getting a PS4. I'd rather support a company that is not trying to cripple gaming with a stupid TV Box.. We don't want to watch TV through a Video game console, we want to play games on it!

This.

I already have a DVR (HTPC), and have no use for the Xbox One video pass through.

Think microsoft missed the boat on this one, higher price and features most people won't use is not the way to go.

Far Cry 3 is still $50 on steam.

This notion that digital games are sooo much cheaper and go on sale "weeks" after launch is imo over-exaggerated.

Yes steam has awesome sales a few times a year (granted most cheap games are over a year old). Though this is just normal retail behavior, which is better than what we see for normal retail channels of console games.

It just isn't as good as everyone seems to make it. Sure some low selling titles go cheaper earlier. Digital sales ARE ahead of the pack in price discounting, which is a good thing but lots of the digital/cheaper comments seem a bit over the top and cherry picking.

I would tend not to agree with you here. Lately, it surely seems, top billing titles have been selling for cheap quickly. "Weeks", literally, is an exaggeration, I but I think he meant to use that term figuratively, and given that, it's not far off the mark. A few examples: Dishonored released 10/09/2012 and I've seen the game on Slickdeals going for sub $20. Fallout New Vegas released 10/19/2012 and I recently just decided to buy it for believe $11, although I've seen it sub $20 several times even previous to my purchase. Bioshock Infinite released March 26 and I've seen that game sub $20 already. I even found, with a short Slickdeals search, Farcry 3 for sub $30 within a few weeks of release; further searches netted $30 deals several times from various sales. Even the new Starcraft 2 released on 3/12/13 I found or half off at $20 several times since it's release.

So it surely seems to me PC games can be had cheaper, much quicker than console games. Now I don't console game because I don't think the interface compares to a PC aside from sports games, which I don't play much of anymore, but it would seem that market does want to move to the model. It remains to be seen if that is a valid market for them to use overall.

The used game market is the number one thing that causes new games to drop in price. Everyone forgets this and why there's double pressure for publishers to kill the used game market. Not only are used games a lost sale, to compete with the used game market they have to start walking down new game prices. For example, Deus Ex is $15 new on Amazon right now. Without the used game market it could be well over $30 or $40.

So even people who don't buy or sell used games, but buy games after price drops benefit from the used game market.

this is false and its out right lying to say this. Steam has no used games please explain to me why all games on steam are not $60 forever? Why do PC games even ones only sold through steam have such great sales and drop in price quicker than consoles? Stop spreading bull shit.

Far Cry 3 is still $50 on steam.

This notion that digital games are sooo much cheaper and go on sale "weeks" after launch is imo over-exaggerated.
It is cheaper to deliver you a game. That doesn't mean the savings are passed onto the consumer. It is likely used to prevent increasing the cost of the game.

What hey is this some kind of sick joke on us with age verification and a sony presentation with PS4 so is it really that xxx:D

There needs to be more focus on Sony's back track on charging for online. That shit is NOT cool. Especially when they CONFIRMED they would never do it (and pretty recently if my memory serves).

They got MS with a one-two and it was great. But this little "gem" has soured me and is a no buy. I'm sick of corporations getting over sized and to teh point where they all seem to go (left hang giving me a pretend handjob while the right hand slowly but surely reems the bot bot [no lube and uninvited]).

This is the stupidest thing I've read in this whole thread.

There needs to be more focus on Sony's back track on charging for online. That shit is NOT cool. Especially when they CONFIRMED they would never do it (and pretty recently if my memory serves).

They got MS with a one-two and it was great. But this little "gem" has soured me and is a no buy. I'm sick of corporations getting over sized and to teh point where they all seem to go (left hang giving me a pretend handjob while the right hand slowly but surely reems the bot bot [no lube and uninvited]).

Enjoy your Wii:U :p

Good job Sony. I've never bought any of the PS series, always prefered the Xbox. However as a gamer I don't see any compelling reason to choose the Xbox one over the PS4, to the contrary there are several reasons specifically not to choose the Xbox one. Sony has won my business and I believe a lot of other people feel the same way.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!

Thank you, Sony!

Game will still play even offline.

No restrictions imposed on used games.

No limitations on lending to friends.

Sony just fucking won.

Xbox is now officially dead.

I wouldn't be so sure. My guess is, Microsoft wouldn't have made these decisions without market research to back it up. Everyone I know who owns an xbox 360 would never even consider buying a playstation because it's not an xbox. None of them would even do any research into this new agenda of microsofts and will all likely buy the xbone the first chance they get, for no other reason than 'it's the new xbox'

See? They know who their customers are. People who will get excited about things like this.

The problem with market research is that it happens in a closed system where everything is either fair or bias in the wrong direction. If you just look at the facts like both consoles are going to lock used games on a per publisher basis and present that to a focus group they wont care, heck if you explain to them that the xbox is $100 more and even has a Kinect they might go for it.

The problem is in the real world you have your competition bashing your product in ways you were not expecting. A particularly successful campaign. Etc... MS did a focus group on vista where they showed people liked it when they didn't know it was vista. But that doesn't matter in the real world once a bad set of information is attached to your product its very difficult to fix that. Same thing happened with windows 8, I know tons of people but they aren't like the ultra vocal people who have and like windows 8. I even like it. But almost all the people I know bashing it to hell don't even own it. Doesn't matter you have to deal with that in the real world its part of your product.

MS for better or worse totally screwed up this xbone launch. Fact or fiction it doesn't matter what matters is what people think regardless of if they are right or wrong or realistic.

I will give the best example right here. Valve had a hell of a time moving people to steam because they were all afraid of steam and DRM. And the same is true of the console crowd and their unfounded fear of loss of used games with even with steam as an example they cannot comprehend that loss of used games can go just fine. Sony takes advantage of that and crushes MS, nothing MS could do, especially since they couldn't have known the sony price of the PS4, heck maybe MS thought that SONY was going to release for $500, heck maybe sony was going to release for $500 and they saw the MS press release and said, shit we can crush them right now drop the price. We don't know any of that and MS couldn't either. In fact if I was an analyst I don't think I would have guessed $400 because I know sony is in so much financial trouble. I think what sony did was the right thing to do just try to win at all costs but no one could have known they would do it for sure.

I would tend not to agree with you here. Lately, it surely seems, top billing titles have been selling for cheap quickly. "Weeks", literally, is an exaggeration, I but I think he meant to use that term figuratively, and given that, it's not far off the mark. A few examples: Dishonored released 10/09/2012 and I've seen the game on Slickdeals going for sub $20. Fallout New Vegas released 10/19/2012 and I recently just decided to buy it for believe $11, although I've seen it sub $20 several times even previous to my purchase. Bioshock Infinite released March 26 and I've seen that game sub $20 already. I even found, with a short Slickdeals search, Farcry 3 for sub $30 within a few weeks of release; further searches netted $30 deals several times from various sales. Even the new Starcraft 2 released on 3/12/13 I found or half off at $20 several times since it's release.

So it surely seems to me PC games can be had cheaper, much quicker than console games. Now I don't console game because I don't think the interface compares to a PC aside from sports games, which I don't play much of anymore, but it would seem that market does want to move to the model. It remains to be seen if that is a valid market for them to use overall.

I will not argue that PC games go on sale earlier and for less... I am just saying the timeframes and amounts are generally over-exaggerated.

PC vs Console are different markets with different customers and vastly different volume rates. They will be different, yes. Just not as much as everyone wants to make it out to be (unless you put additional effort into it, just like anything else).

Also if you hunt and shop yes you can find deals all over the place for ANYTHING. Console versions as well.

Seems the "PC games are massively cheaper way earlier" has special circumstances involved that I do not consider part of the "norm".

Google Shopping for BioShock infinate PC

Google Shopping for BioShock infinate PS3

General pricing of the 3 different versions are very similar on google shopping at least.

BioShock Infinate on Steam: $60 today

If you want to deal shop, Inifinite can be had under $30 new on ebay (yes I know this is dubious, just wanted to throw it out there).

Are there differences, yeah there are... Overall I just do not see anything other then overall PC games tend to be cheaper by a bit and earlier by a bit (unless you really shop). Which makes sense giving the volume and nature of the different customer bases.

I game mostly on PC but like a good ol' 3rd person game on console. We are probably 60% PC and 40% console in our house.

I will not argue that PC games go on sale earlier and for less... I am just saying the timeframes and amounts are generally over-exaggerated.

PC vs Console are different markets with different customers and vastly different volume rates. They will be different, yes. Just not as much as everyone wants to make it out to be (unless you put additional effort into it, just like anything else).

Also if you hunt and shop yes you can find deals all over the place for ANYTHING. Console versions as well.

Seems the "PC games are massively cheaper way earlier" has special circumstances involved that I do not consider part of the "norm".

General pricing of the 3 different versions are very similar on google shopping at least.

If you want to deal shop, Inifinite can be had under $30 new on ebay (yes I know this is dubious, just wanted to throw it out there).

Are there differences, yeah there are... Overall I just do not see anything other then overall PC games tend to be cheaper by a bit and earlier by a bit (unless you really shop). Which makes sense giving the volume and nature of the different customer bases.

I game mostly on PC but like a good ol' 3rd person game on console. We are probably 60% PC and 40% console in our house.
Don't forget that many people got BS:I free with AMD graphic card purchases. While technically not free, since you have to buy a graphics card to get that, it is seen as free by PC gamers already in the market to upgrade. I'd be curious to see how many people capitalized on this program to calculate the average price for the games.

Don't forget that many people got BS:I free with AMD graphic card purchases. While technically not free, since you have to buy a graphics card to get that, it is seen as free by PC gamers already in the market to upgrade. I'd be curious to see how many people capitalized on this program to calculate the average price for the games.

Despite that, I wouldn't say it's effecting the average price although it certainly has had a part to play on Ebay though. If someone paid $60 though for BS:I right now on Steam I would smack them upside the head.

The only point I was trying to make in my post about finding top billing titles on PC for cheap is that, even though they are sales yes, they happen frequently. I would argue much more frequently than console games. Lately, too, PC game prices have been lucrative very frequently as well. That and Steam is like clockwork for PC sales.

Back