PS4 Controller Operated Nissan GT-R Achieves 130+MPH Run Around Silverstone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Jann Mardenborough put his gaming skills to the test by driving a full-size, remote-control GT-R around Silverstone from a helicopter. Celebrating the release of Gran Turismo Sport, out in Europe on October 18th, and marking 20 years of Nissan involvement in the Gran Turismo gaming series, the one-off GT-R /C project car was extensively modified to be driven entirely by a PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller.

A few millimeters of button movement or joystick travel are all it takes to unleash the GT-R’s full power. The remote-control vehicle is capable of a top speed of 196mph – not restricted for the purpose of the project car – with no one sitting behind the wheel. The GT-R /C was put through its paces by NISMO racing driver Jann Mardenborough, around Silverstone’s famous National Circuit. Jann controlled the GT-R /C from the cockpit of a Robinson R44 Raven II helicopter, which had been given special permission to operate at a low altitude.

Having just gotten a nice racing rig on the cheap I can say that, while this is impressive, if he really wants a better racing experience with gaming he just needs to invest some money in a control method other than a Dualshock.

This seems like overkill...

Having just gotten a nice racing rig on the cheap I can say that, while this is impressive, if he really wants a better racing experience with gaming he just needs to invest some money in a control method other than a Dualshock.

This seems like overkill...
Or just get the real thing!

Or just get the real thing!

Haha right! On the reals though, racing rigs VASTLY improve racing, especially with VR...my God...it's like 70% of driving a real car I swear. Does make me wonder if people like this guy even knows shit like that exists. Probably...right? I mean, he'd have to.

While cool I hope the gave him the opportunity to drive a GT-R himself.

EDIT: My bad, didn't recognize the name. He gets to drive the real thing all the time.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
I don't get it. Other then to show up that it can be done I fail to see why.
The ps4 controller can't even come close to doing a good job at controlling a real car on a track.
Having no feedback at all from the car and bad visibility must suck.
Maybe if they had a some sort of racing simulator with VR headset that gave you control of the car but why not just practice in a simulator and then go drive the real thing.

Stupid question but why did they need to do a helicopter when they could have just done a gopro attached to the car with a 20 foot pole coming out the trunk?

So about as much feedback and difficulty driving one normally?
Semi /s

Not a fan of cars that take most skill away from driving. May as well be vr.

It would be so much easier to drive a car with a ps4 controller than the wheel/gas/ect. Maybe one day :(

Stupid question but why did they need to do a helicopter when they could have just done a gopro attached to the car with a 20 foot pole coming out the trunk?

I was thinking the same thing, but my guess. Remote control distance limitations. The thing drives 1/2 a mile down the track and loses signal. So instead of implementing some towers, repeaters, or whatever to keep signal, just follow it in a helicopter.

I haven't finished watching it, but the first part anyway, it just shows how twitchy video game controllers are. I will guarantee that when he's actually sitting in the car driving it, he's not nearly so twitchy withthe steering, that makes you slow.
But if driving it via the controller is almost exactly like actually driving it - what a boring car for a go-fast machine.

I wouldn't want to do that...

A few millimeters of button movement or joystick travel are all it takes to unleash the GT-R’s full power...

Certainly, but a millimeter slip on a stupid subpar controller is also all it takers to send it careening into a wall at 130mph :p

Certainly, but a millimeter slip on a stupid subpar controller is also all it takers to send it careening into a wall at 130mph :p
While I agree that a joypad is a very subpar way to even play a proper driving sim, let alone driving an actual car, I can tell you from first hand experience that the PS4 pads are the best available, bar none. I have been on XB pads for years, and I've also used Logitech/Madcatz et al. It was only recently that I got a PS4 pad, and the quality and reliability are absolutely worth the occasional lack of plug-and-playness (Windows 8.1).

Back