PS4 and Xbox One Are Neck-And-Neck

HardOCP News

[H] News
NPD, the people that keep track of video game sales, say that the PS4 and Xbox One are neck-and-neck.

"PS4 led hardware sales in February 2014, but by a narrow margin with Xbox One selling over 90% of what the PS4 sold in terms of unit sales," stated the NPD Group's Liam Callahan. "However, with Xbox One's higher price point it led hardware sales on a dollar basis."

Hmmm, interesting news. I kinda want both for some reason though.

Hmmm, interesting news. I kinda want both for some reason though.

BOTH are collecting dust in my son's room. Titanfall is the first thing the kids have played on the new consoles since they launched (PS4 still collecting dust).

More misleading titles. They are neck and neck in sales in February.. Not really close in overall sales last I checked.

Kind of funny when you think of the fact that PCs worldwide even in a bad year are selling close to 30,000,000 per month...;) What's the old expression--can't see the forest for the tree...? The consoles are small potatoes, imo. The PC is like the 5-ton white elephant in the room--so huge he's ignored.

PS4 is clearly better but wouldn't touch either until more titles come out. Replaced PS4 with Kaveri system for about the same price and it's much more useful. Wouldn't even waste my time and money with Xbox One.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally don't care. both are selling and selling well. Tuesday night / Wednesday morning you would have noticed a spike from people getting the Titan Fall bundle.

But in the end it doesn't matter. last gen people bought the PS3 as a dvd player and the xbox 360 had sold more units (and done so as gaming devices) there at the start. But at the end they were about even.

personally don't care about the numbers here at the start. People will get the console they want, games will be made for both consoles and Nintendo will still be off by itself with little 3rd party support.

More likely the PS4 sales slowed down, rather then the Xbone sales increased. People realized that neither system has games worth a damn. As cool as Titanfall is, it's only a multiplayer game.

BOTH are collecting dust in my son's room. Titanfall is the first thing the kids have played on the new consoles since they launched (PS4 still collecting dust).

Yea, both systems are massively handicapped by the lack of BC. The PS3/360 got away with weak launch titles because people could play their existing collections. Right now, those of us who were early adopters, really don't have much to do game wise.

Fortunately for me..the Ps4 is basically superior to the Ps3 iin every other imaginable way. It handles netflix/amazon way better thanks to the updated network cards, its handles general media better and all round is just faster. It just sucks there isn't much gaming use for it right now. Fortunately I kept my Ps3's, so it isn't a huge issue for me. As a pure gaming device the XB1 and PS4 though right now just have nothing to play. Some of the Indy stuff that comes from PSN+ is pretty decent, but hardly justify the system.

For me the system was a good purchase for obvious current and future use. However anyone looking to buy only for gaming..wait.

Kind of funny when you think of the fact that PCs worldwide even in a bad year are selling close to 30,000,000 per month...;) What's the old expression--can't see the forest for the tree...? The consoles are small potatoes, imo. The PC is like the 5-ton white elephant in the room--so huge he's ignored.

Exactly ... the total product sales of both consoles combined (over their entire multi year lifespan) will still be a fraction of the PC sales in a single calendar year (and a fraction of the PC profits also) ... I suspect this might be the last design iteration of the standalone game console ... it should definitely be the last to rely on physical media :cool:

PS4 is clearly better but wouldn't touch either until more titles come out. Replaced PS4 with Kaveri system for about the same price and it's much more useful. Wouldn't even waste my time and money with Xbox One.

What is "clearly" better about the PS4? Seriously.

Being 10% faster hardware is not clearly better especially when the PS4 struggles as it is to do 1080p with concessions. Both consoles are underpowered mid range PCs.

X1 has more functionality, it's better built, runs cooler and has many times better online experience.

PS4 has slightly faster hardware..that's it. Controller maybe with share button and LED screen?

PS 3.5 :)

I love PC gaming and I'll agree PC's sell way more than consoles but I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of those are gaming PC's and even less of them are even close to the consoles gaming wise overall. Yeah you can add a graphics card, yada yada yada, but it's still comparing apples to oranges.

Compare number of "Gaming PC's" sold vs consoles sold and I bet the consoles win out by a large margin.

To those saying there's nothing to play, I own both and have plenty to play on each system with very little time to play all I have. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for the Xbone is tons of fun.

Being 10% faster hardware is not clearly better especially when the PS4 struggles as it is to do 1080p with concessions. Both consoles are underpowered mid range PCs.

X1 has more functionality, it's better built, runs cooler and has many times better online experience.

PS4 has slightly faster hardware..that's it. Controller maybe with share button and LED screen?

You clearly don't own either system. I own and like both but the PS4 is faster in more ways than just fps numbers. Games generally look better. It installs games extremely fast from disk or download, can't say the same for the Xbone, it has extremely long install times for games from disk or download.

The Xbone should run cooler, slower hardware, much larger in size 1.5 times the size of the PS4. The online experience is great for both, Xbox Live isn't miles ahead anymore sorry to break it to you.

The Dualshock 4 doesn't have an LCD screen, it has a touch pad. It's also very comfortable to hold for my big hands and feels better balanced than the Xbone controller imo.

I haven't seen anything to spur me to move from the 360 and PS3 yet. Heck I barely play those systems since I added a Nvidia 650 OC to my Media PC (i3, 8GB) and put Steam with big picture on it.

It's still impossible to walk into a store in my city and see a PS4 sitting on the shelf. At least most titles on the PS4 are 1080p, Titanfall which Microsoft pushed like crazy isn't even 1080p. The install times on the PS4 are waaaaaaay faster than the X1 as well. I don't watch much live TV since we get gauged on prices here in Canada so the TV functionality of the X1 is useless to me.

You clearly don't own either system.

As you go on to make statements that make it sound like you don't own both either. :confused:

XB1 is 1.5x larger than the PS4? Games take longer to load on the XB1 versus the PS4? Which games are you talking about specifically? How is PSN any different than it used to be except now you have to pay for it? BTW, what is your gamertag on XBL?

Like I said, the son has both sitting in his room collecting dust...currently the PS4 more so because he's waiting for new games.

He needs it:

1393270660ykBkkGIu3e_1_1_l.jpg

1393270660ykBkkGIu3e_1_2_l.jpg

It's still impossible to walk into a store in my city and see a PS4 sitting on the shelf.

Come to Vegas, you can find them on the shelf at Target, Walmart, GameStop...etc. etc. At Christmas there were plenty here:

1388674978hxxkoSFTK0_1_1.jpg

As you go on to make statements that make it sound like you don't own both either. :confused:

XB1 is 1.5x larger than the PS4? Games take longer to load on the XB1 versus the PS4? Which games are you talking about specifically? How is PSN any different than it used to be except now you have to pay for it? BTW, what is your gamertag on XBL?

Like I said, the son has both sitting in his room collecting dust...currently the PS4 more so because he's waiting for new games.

He needs it:

Come to Vegas, you can find them on the shelf at Target, Walmart, GameStop...etc. etc. At Christmas there were plenty here:

HOLY SHIT!

Ok seriously ill send him some :)

Installs since the newest update are even quicker people need to remember on Xbox one the system installs the game and patches at the same time so when the install is done its really done.

I dunno...
Cant find a PS4 anywhere in my potown
Not that i want one... yet

Steve, are those pics from before Christmas?
Those Wallyworld Christmas Rollback stickers are kinda old
Not that i would fly to Vegas to find one.

Cant even order one from frys.com ...meh

I love PC gaming and I'll agree PC's sell way more than consoles but I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of those are gaming PC's and even less of them are even close to the consoles gaming wise overall. Yeah you can add a graphics card, yada yada yada, but it's still comparing apples to oranges.

Compare number of "Gaming PC's" sold vs consoles sold and I bet the consoles win out by a large margin.

To those saying there's nothing to play, I own both and have plenty to play on each system with very little time to play all I have. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for the Xbone is tons of fun.

The stats might not be as bad as you think ... Steam now has over 60 million users ... and you need a functional gaming rig to use Steam titles ... and Steam isn't 100% of all PC gamers ... if you consider that a modern console will generally sell about 100 million consoles over its lifespan I think it is not totally impossible that there is approximate parity between the three platforms (PC, PS, XBox) ... sales of mainstream titles that release simultaneously on all three platforms tend to support that as well as the split can easily go 1/3 in each camp :cool:

A PC gamer will also be more profitable in the long run as they support a wider range of infrastructure for longer ... we might apply more pressure on the software side for lower pricing but on the hardware side we can buy hardware upgrades and peripherals for years to keep our rigs going until we upgrade (probably way more incremental purchases than a console gamer) ;)

Why is everyone STILL trying to bring up 1080P?
Sony trying to force 1080P is BAD. Look at Second Son, at E3 it was 720P, now in 1080P they had to drop so many other settings it looks like it should have been on PS3.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/halo2redvsblue/nN94gZr_zps89ca0b7c.gif
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/halo2redvsblue/uXWyC23_zps233c4a18.gif
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/halo2redvsblue/vV2qxDC_zps07365a13.gif

Sony even flat out LIED about Killzone being 1080P/60 in multiplayer. They interlaced one 1920x1080 frame broken in to two 1920x540 frames and called it 1080P, even though you are only getting half 1080P per frame, and since the second from is just the second half of the first frame, you really only got 30 different frames per second. So lets have games that are half 1080P res 30FPS and call it 1080P/60FPS.

He needs it:

Hey, that is the exact same glass shelving/ tv stand that I have in my living room right now. :D However, mine has a computer to the right, an Xbox one on the middle shelf and the Xbox original on the bottom shelf. (Keyboard and mouse on top.) Less dust though since I just cleaned it off on Sunday.

Where the hell are you guys shopping that you can't find PS4's? They are in stock on Amazon now, and they were the last time i checked a couple weeks ago.

Where the hell are you guys shopping that you can't find PS4's? They are in stock on Amazon now, and they were the last time i checked a couple weeks ago.
Damn your right... there you go.
Don't even have to fly to Vegas to get one.

They come and go at amazon.com. Anyone who wants to track the PS4 availability situation should check this site:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

As of this posting, amazon is the only one listed as selling the console on its own. The other sellers showing ps4 in stock have bundles.

The pc part comparison is somewhat weird since you can not play console games on your pc and on these consoles you can not play pc games either. Ever since they made these gaming consoles this is somewhat being down played as powerful machines , where all consoles shined is because of the close to metal programming which make software run quite a bit faster then on a PC.

Then if you look at hardware and Battlefield 4 it is clear that PS4 does better. The approach of using GDDR5 paid of compared to EDRAM. That does not mean that in time Xbox1 can do better but for now it seems that Xbox1 can't keep up.

kinda misleading as this is for feb only, made it sound like overall they are even, I believe ps4 has sold about 2 milionmore over all.

I haven't touched either console in awhile either but my Xbox One got a whole lot more playtime than my PS4 did. Mainly due to Forza Motorsport & Dead Rising 3. Since I plan to go all in for TESO, I will wait for Titanfall & inFamous second son to fall in price or fall victim to one of those B&M B1G1 50% off promotions.

More likely the PS4 sales slowed down, rather then the Xbone sales increased. People realized that neither system has games worth a damn. As cool as Titanfall is, it's only a multiplayer game.

Which is all many people do any more. I skip the campaign on every game that has multiplayer unless the campaign is amazing.

Relative to each other, outside of the CPU (where the performance stats of the PS4 are unknown, but also seems to lead-albeit less) the PS4 is anywhere from 30-100% more capable than the Xbox One.

They're really only close to each other relative to a high end PC, otherwise it's a blowout in PS4's favor.

Relative to each other, outside of the CPU (where the performance stats of the PS4 are unknown, but also seems to lead-albeit less) the PS4 is anywhere from 30-100% more capable than the Xbox One.

They're really only close to each other relative to a high end PC, otherwise it's a blowout in PS4's favor.

Actual real world difference in game performance, if a game looks the same on both, is roughly 25% difference in frame rate if coded to use max performance. Its not a lot.

Back