PS4 and 1440P

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I just tried out using a HDMI cable to my 1440P monitor to see if the PS4 would pick it up.
It works actually you can stretch the image to fit the screen and it looks better than 1080P actually.
I don't think the FPS suffers because it's not really running at true 1440P just a stretched upscaled1080P image.

I needed to know this because I was going to sell my last 1080P gaming monitor.

The game scales to fit the 1440P monitor it gives you the option before you start the game to stretch the window yeah I know it's still 1080p but it looks good. I just tried Bloodborne so it works...

Does the the Xbox One scaling for 1440P look better than the stretching to fit 1440P on the PS4? My understanding is the Xbox One will scale the dashboard UI for 1440 and the console will scale actual games to 1440. So it won't look as good as native 1440, but it will be superior to the monitor scaling it. Is that correct?

And I assume the PS4 relies entirely on the monitor for scaling? How washed out will it look on a 1440? Assuming I understand how the Xbox One works does anyone know if Sony is planning on a similar update for the regular PS4? Thinking of getting one, but the resolution issue is certainly holding me back.

The Xbox One X (and maybe the S? not sure) is now able to output actual native 1440p, in addition to 1080p and 4k. The dashboard is still rendered at 1080p, but any Xbox One X-enhanced games will display in native 1440p.

The PS4 only outputs 1080p or 4k.

Last edited:
Back