PS4: $399, no online authentication, no used game restrictions...(Post E3 discussion)

I'm finding it hard to see either console worth the price for the upgrade you get graphically. I had a ps3 and xbox360 which I have sold recently. I wish they had forza or gran turismo on the pc. That is the only thing that propels me to get one.

I'm finding it hard to see either console worth the price for the upgrade you get graphically. I had a ps3 and xbox360 which I have sold recently. I wish they had forza or gran turismo on the pc. That is the only thing that propels me to get one.

with the PS4 being cheaper than the PS3 at launch, the graphics upgrade is staggering. Even if we only had games that ran natively at 720p, it would be a good step up from the stuff we got with the current consoles on heavy hitters.

Why? They use more power and make more heat.

I would have said cheaper but drives have hit price parity at the 500GB capacity

from my experience I have found that laptop drives are not as reliable as their 3.5" cousins...

another plus would have been ultimate capacity if the PS4 allows one to change out the drive for a larger one laptop drive have just reached 2TB and dekstop drives are twice that with a capacity increase due soon.

Why? They use more power and make more heat.

Well I'd imagine those factors are fairly insignificant considering they are 5400RPM and no one really cares about an additional 5 watts when giving them the option to go up to 4TB as opposed to iirc 1TB.

My 500GB PS3 is already at 420GB and I don't even have any movies or songs on it.

As much as id like to drop the $399 on a ps4, I simply cannot do it.Too many games due to come out over the next 3 months that will easily last me til summer of next year. I guess this way I can sit back and see what happens with these next gen systems.

The biggest thing they could do to sell me on buying it would be a ps3 vs ps4 comparison of the same game running actual gameplay footage, not that cinematic BS they always show.

As much as id like to drop the $399 on a ps4, I simply cannot do it.Too many games due to come out over the next 3 months that will easily last me til summer of next year. I guess this way I can sit back and see what happens with these next gen systems.

The biggest thing they could do to sell me on buying it would be a ps3 vs ps4 comparison of the same game running actual gameplay footage, not that cinematic BS they always show.

There is plenty of Killzone footage around, compare that to the PS3 Killzone 3 (which looks fantastic).

Killzone: Shadow Fall - Gameplay demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjJ8_u_lAw

Killzone: Shadow Fall 'Multiplayer Team Deathmatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE

Buying a console at launch is never good value, there are never enough launch games, only a few show off the system etc. esp during this gen most of the big AAA titles are cross-gen since the 360/PS3 aren't going anywhere for a while. Games like GTA V can keep you busy for a while.

Part of the reason to buy is just to experience the new console itself. Or if you must have a new game like BF4 to play with friends.

I was hyped about getting a PS4 until i realized that i didn't really like any of the launch games enough to get one. With games like MGS5, GTA5, and Beyond 2 Souls coming out it's really no point to rush and get one yet. Games like Watchdogs and Assassins Creed Black Flag are coming to current gen. Not to mention i didn't play Last of us, Bioshock, and a few other good games in my backlog. So i probably won't get one until next holiday season.

Buying a console at launch is never good value, there are never enough launch games, only a few show off the system etc. esp during this gen most of the big AAA titles are cross-gen since the 360/PS3 aren't going anywhere for a while. Games like GTA V can keep you busy for a while.

Part of the reason to buy is just to experience the new console itself. Or if you must have a new game like BF4 to play with friends.

its likely there wont be a price drop though for a very long time. way after the good games are out. so it really doesnt make a difference. if youre gonna buy it, youre gonna buy it. the games will come and at first there will be a slow trickle. but i will only be spending some time on it when compared to my computer.

from my experience I have found that laptop drives are not as reliable as their 3.5" cousins...
But is the lack of reliability because of design or because the 2.5 inch (mobile) drives are moved, bounced, dropped, smashed and overall beat up a lot more?
Well I'd imagine those factors are fairly insignificant considering they are 5400RPM and no one really cares about an additional 5 watts when giving them the option to go up to 4TB as opposed to iirc 1TB.

My 500GB PS3 is already at 420GB and I don't even have any movies or songs on it.
Size and weight is also a concern. You have to think of the system as a whole engineered piece not just fixed by "making it bigger" so a 3.5 inch drive can fit. The bigger and more a console weighs, the more it cost to ship. The little difference between 2.5" and 3.5" drives x 50million consoles = huge dollars saved in shipping.

I'm fine with a 2.5" form factor on consoles. They are designed and cooled like laptops and have laptops components throughout.

PS4 U.I. finally unveiled. Yoshida opened up Gamescom using it... check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&feature=share&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

"Finally" as in over three weeks ago? :p

Aesthetically, it looks very nice. From a useability standpoint it looks frustrating. It's the usual clunky Sony UI. Constantly entering/exiting/activating/switching the UI. Every option brings new elements. Fortunately, things seemed to load quickly enough, so that's nice. But you still have the user navigation slowing things down.

"Finally" as in over three weeks ago? :p

Aesthetically, it looks very nice. From a useability standpoint it looks frustrating. It's the usual clunky Sony UI. Constantly entering/exiting/activating/switching the UI. Every option brings new elements. Fortunately, things seemed to load quickly enough, so that's nice. But you still have the user navigation slowing things down.

Yeah I hope Youtube, Netflix etc. exit quicker in the UI compared to PS3, but from the looks of that I would say yeah it's a faster experience than PS3. Which I enjoy more than my Win 7 PC, more than Steam etc. I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true.

Has anyone found any info regarding the PS4 and SSD support? I read here that putting a SSD in a PS3 is a waste because of it's limitations and lack of "trim" support (don't know what that means). Anyone know if the PS4 has this support?

Has anyone found any info regarding the PS4 and SSD support? I read here that putting a SSD in a PS3 is a waste because of it's limitations and lack of "trim" support (don't know what that means). Anyone know if the PS4 has this support?

From a money and maximum storage capacity standpoint it is a waste.

If you have PS+ like me then you need space.

Your better off with a large capacity 7200 rpm drive.

And of course it doesn't support trim.

From a money and maximum storage capacity standpoint it is a waste.

If you have PS+ like me then you need space.

Your better off with a large capacity 7200 rpm drive.

And of course it doesn't support trim.

I understand that, and know that. I was just curious if anyone knew if the PS4 would support SSDs better than the PS3.

I understand that, and know that. I was just curious if anyone knew if the PS4 would support SSDs better than the PS3.

I going to assume that at least it will have a much faster sata controller. Who knows about trim though, aren't there supposed to be some newer ssd that handle that themselves?

I'm going to grab a 512gb SSD to put in the PS4 the day it shows up. Can't imagine spending the next console generation on an old platter hdd, especially with everything running from the hdd not disk.

We have this discussion going on in another thread right now.

Moderns SSDs have built in garbage collection that will help optimize performance. TRIM simply enhances that by marking the data as invalid when you delete it. Without TRIM, the SSD must wait for data to be written to the location of invalid data in order for it to know it can perform optimization on that block. It just makes the process less efficient without TRIM, but the blocks eventually get erased with or without TRIM.

You can be rest assured that your SSD will work well in a PS3 or PS4, even without TRIM. Even then, lack of TRIM only affects write speeds, not read, and a non-TRIMed SSD writing is still going to be faster than an HDD. As long as you have some over provisioned space (so data can be written somewhere when the SSD finds invalid data in the location it's writing to) you're write speeds will still be very good.

Also, Western Digital is releasing their 1TB hybrid HDD/SSD later this year.

Last edited:
Sony has detailed their upgrade plans.

You can insert your PS3 version of the disc into PS4, then buy the PS4 digital version for a nominal fee. When you launch the digital version, it checks for the PS3 version in the disc tray.

You can insert your PS3 version of the disc into PS4, then buy the PS4 digital version for a nominal fee. When you launch the digital version, it checks for the PS3 version in the disc tray.

That sounds schweet.

I just realized that PS4 basically has nothing for launch other than Killzone, and I hardly care about that.

But is the lack of reliability because of design or because the 2.5 inch (mobile) drives are moved, bounced, dropped, smashed and overall beat up a lot more?
Size and weight is also a concern. You have to think of the system as a whole engineered piece not just fixed by "making it bigger" so a 3.5 inch drive can fit. The bigger and more a console weighs, the more it cost to ship. The little difference between 2.5" and 3.5" drives x 50million consoles = huge dollars saved in shipping.

I'm fine with a 2.5" form factor on consoles. They are designed and cooled like laptops and have laptops components throughout.

i would say due to confined space and lack of airflow compared to desktop drive installation.

This is only for a few games or pretty much all of them?

Back