PS4: $399, no online authentication, no used game restrictions...(Post E3 discussion)

You know, the irony is this is Sony, freaking Sony, being heralded the champion of the consumer. Has hell frozen over?

I fully expect Microsoft to pull a dick move after dick move every chance they get, because you know, its Microsoft. It's in their DNA. And frankly, Sony's too. I just assumed Sony would be as anti used game, DRM friendly as Microsoft is in this new generation. Kudos to them for bucking that expectation.

Well, hell, eventually when Betamax failed Sony started making VHS decks too. If there's money to be made no company's going to stand on pride and run themselves into the ground.

You know, the irony is this is Sony, freaking Sony, being heralded the champion of the consumer. Has hell frozen over?

I fully expect Microsoft to pull a dick move after dick move every chance they get, because you know, its Microsoft. It's in their DNA. And frankly, Sony's too. I just assumed Sony would be as anti used game, DRM friendly as Microsoft is in this new generation. Kudos to them for bucking that expectation.

That article was..... sexy.
Sony wants my babies. I'm kinda scared.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer to what I mean. I mean, it's been clarified how DRM works. What people are making assumptions about is the decision making process that lead to the DRM decision.

Why would anyone want to suppose they could even fathom that conversation

say what? Multiplayer has not largely been P2P in a long time. Take live for a example, they run the servers that people connect to enable one to play with their friends. Something has to control the game and a single console isn't it....

I think you're wrong. CoD MW3 only had dedicated servers for the PC. Consoles were still mostly P2P.

First time in my life that the console I'm looking forward to is from Sony. I never imagined they'd be so receptive to consumer demands, given their reputation for telling their customers to go fuck themselves.

But goddamn...respect for ownership of games, no built-in DRM, a reasonable price...provided there's no always-on camera required to be hooked up to the bastard, I'm gettin' it.

I'm getting excited for the PS4 too. It might be a couple months til after launch when I get one, vs. the couple years for both xbox and PS3.

Hahahahha! Oh yes I've been waiting for this!

"You dropped the balls, you dropped all of the balls, and we kick them into nets!" LMAO

What did he say on the driveclub part? I couldn't understand that..

A bunch of us meet up at car parks on the weekends...

So is it confirmed that the Sony is cheaper than the XBox1 and has superior specs? I can't keep up. Are they comparable spec wise or did Sony end up with more GPU power.

Where does PS4 fall in terms of GPU power--what would a comparable NVIDIA card be? What would a comparable PC look like?

Also does this thing have analog audio outputs? RCA outputs?

So is it confirmed that the Sony is cheaper than the XBox1 and has superior specs? I can't keep up. Are they comparable spec wise or did Sony end up with more GPU power.

Where does PS4 fall in terms of GPU power--what would a comparable NVIDIA card be? What would a comparable PC look like?
Sony definably put a more powerful GPU in their box, at least on paper. I've seen it estimated that the Xbone GPU is roughly comparable to a Radeon 7790, while the PS4's GPU is something around a 7870. We'll have to see Sony's PS4 exclusive visuals and compare those to MS's exclusives to see how large, if any, real world difference there is between the two. The PS4 certainly looks better on paper, using GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbone's GDDR3. Any yes, it's $100 cheaper.

Sony definably put a more powerful GPU in their box, at least on paper. I've seen it estimated that the Xbone GPU is roughly comparable to a Radeon 7790, while the PS4's GPU is something around a 7870. We'll have to see Sony's PS4 exclusive visuals and compare those to MS's exclusives to see how large, if any, real world difference there is between the two. The PS4 certainly looks better on paper, using GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbone's GDDR3. Any yes, it's $100 cheaper.

Uh.. I think a better comparison would be with multi-platform titles, not exclusives.

I think someone also did a "real cost out the door" comparison between the PS4 and XBO, the price difference is closer to $50; not $100.

I think someone also did a "real cost out the door" comparison between the PS4 and XBO, the price difference is closer to $50; not $100.

That sounds like it came from a Microsoft fan page. They both come with the console a controller and a cable, you don't need anything else to play the games (other than an internet connection and a letter from your lawyer for the Xbox thing). The only difference is PS4 has a headset, the Xbox doesn't, the box has that shitty camera thing, but the other doesn't need it to play games (and it only costs 50 something dollars). The subscription is cheaper on the PS4, but isn't needed on either console.

So basically they both come with everything you need. But one is $100 more. So where does this mythical $50 come into it? :confused:

Uh.. I think a better comparison would be with multi-platform titles, not exclusives.

how is it $50.
$400 for ps4 + $50 for psn plus + $60 for game
$500 for xbox + $ 50 for live + $60 for game
still $100 difference
UNLESS you are claiming that you must have camera for ps4..

how is it $50.
still $100 difference

If you pay for PSN+ you get a game, and with the Xbox you have to buy a headset ($20+), so its more like $180 difference. Plus you need broadband which is at least $20 a month, so that's $420 difference in the first year at least!

Creative accounting! :D

I get your point for the apples to apples comparison. However, multi-platform games will targeted toward the least powerful system, with maybe a few extra visual enhancements for the platform with a bit more horsepower. The end products won't be all that different IMO.

how is it $50.
still $100 difference

I think live is $60 for a year.

Gamestop just gave me $180 for my 360 slim 250GB (no games) which I put down toward launch day PS4.

$400 for a 18 GCN CUs and 8GB GDDR5 with great first party support is a pretty damn good deal. Looking forward to the next Naughty Dog game.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If your an idiot yes.

But you can get it on sale all the time and you can stack the cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103258

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-LIVE-Month-Gold-Membership-360/dp/B0029LJIFG
I've seen cheaper then that to.

Or those with the family plan you get 4 gold memberships for $99 a year. Of course that I don't think they offer anymore but if you have it keep it your grandfathered in at 99

So your saying the average consumer is an idiot as most won't think of looking online for a live deal and by that logic live is $40 as thats what i pay

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So your saying the average consumer is an idiot as most won't think of looking online for a live deal and by that logic live is $40 as thats what i pay

Even my mother who's in her sixties shops on amazon so yeah.

There is no excuse for being a stupid consumer.

Ayguitt.png

I lol

More proof Microsoft has no idea what it is doing.

This family share thing SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONLY THING THEY TALKED ABOUT!!

It's huge and goes a long long way in helping to justify the DRM requirements. Instead they focus on TV and other bullshit when they have the system seller right here.

Let me see if I understand this right.

Scenarios:

Today I own Forza and Halo. I can lend Forza to Bob and Halo to Chris. I can't play either one.

Tomorrow I own Forza and Halo. Bob OR Chris can play Forza OR Halo while I play at the same time. I cannot loan Forza to one and Halo to the other because Bob and Chris cannot both access my library at the same time.

Correct?

If so, get fucked M$.

Let me see if I understand this right.

Scenarios:

Today I own Forza and Halo. I can lend Forza to Bob and Halo to Chris. I can't play either one.

Tomorrow I own Forza and Halo. Bob OR Chris can play Forza OR Halo while I play at the same time. I cannot loan Forza to one and Halo to the other because Bob and Chris cannot both access my library at the same time.

Correct?

If so, get fucked M$.

That graphic is wrong. All 10 friends can play games from your library at the same time, just as long as they're not the same game. Also, a friend cannot play the same game as you.

That graphic is wrong. All 10 friends can play games from your library at the same time, just as long as they're not the same game. Also, a friend cannot play the same game as you.

There is zero proof of this, or of the original graphics. Stop making stuff up.

MS haven't released any official information beyond some interviews by Larry Hyrb and the weird language on the xbox site which can be interpreted many ways.

There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt when they don't give clear answers.

There is zero proof of this, or of the original graphics. Stop making stuff up.

MS haven't released any official information beyond some interviews by Larry Hyrb and the weird language on the xbox site which can be interpreted many ways.

There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt when they don't give clear answers.

The proof is every single thing Microsoft has said about it. Having their VP and head PR guy release information isn't "official"?

The proof is every single thing Microsoft has said about it. Having their VP and head PR guy release information isn't "official"?

That's not what the Major Shitface said, he said you and one other person on the single player portion, not on the same game, not you and 10 other people.

Whoa. From Kotaku:

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their Internet requirements and all restrictions on used games, according to the websites WhatHiFi and GiantBomb.

According to both reports, the announcement will be made today.

UPDATE: Looks like Microsoft is updating their Xbox One Q&A, but the new page isn't live yet. No word on which policies are changing. We're updating as we learn more.

Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Yup, complete change in their DRM.

Yea I'm not that happy about this. The ability to buy a game digitally and have my brothers could play it through the family sharing was a pretty sweet idea. I wish they had left that in on the digital versions of the games. I also liked the ability to put a disk in once and have it just tied to your account. I was hoping for a better version of steam I guess.....

Back