PS4: $399, no online authentication, no used game restrictions...(Post E3 discussion)

zamardii

2[H]4U
You know, I have been reading a lot about how crappy the Xbox One has seemed so far... and I think Microsoft is seriously shooting themselves in the foot especially after Jack Tretton's announcement of the online authentication and used game policies (which there are none)...

Having just watched the Sony E3 Press Conference, and seeing the crowd's reaction to when Jack said that games can be traded, sold, no 24 hour authentication, no online authentication of any kind... you can see just how much Sony focused on giving people exactly what they want in the PS4.

And guess what, the PS4 will be a whole Benjamin less than the Xbox One. More powerful, better games, less bullshit...

Jack said it right when he PS4 is ALL ABOUT GAMES. Ladies and Gentleman, Playstation is back.

Already 35+ pages. Fuck that.

OT:

Yeah...Sony definitely just gave M$ a slap to the face. I mean, besides exclusives (which I've always been a Sony fan for these anyways) and Kinect I really honestly don't see any thing that makes the Xbone the more desirable console at all.

PS4 is cheaper, has better hardware, better exclusives (IMO), no DRM, etc. I'm sure the Xbone will sell well, but over all Sony is definitely going to win this generation if they haven't already.

MS can still revamp the price if they want too. Sony sure is putting MS's balls in a vice to do so.

im not saying thats all they need to do but they still have almost 6 months to revamp software for a d-day patch since they expect everyone to have internet any way lol.

so anything could change on the MS side outside of hardware.

i think its too late from a media and consumer perspective except for the hardcore fanboys that buy blindly and the parents that buy blindly.

i already pre orderd the PS4 the price is low enough at 399 i can justify getting one to replace my PS3 in the living room. and either move the ps3 to my pc area and play it on one of my monitors like i do now for my 360 or move it into my nieces room so she has access to netflix.

I don't think this was a very smart move for Sony. This generation of consoles has the same architecture, so how well they do is going to boil down to who handles content better... By restricting used sales, Microsoft has enabled a "Steam sale" environment, where ultimately people get the game at the price they are willing to pay. This is much more attractive to publishers, and will allow them to provide games to consumers at lower prices than they would be willing to on the PS4. Now if Sony wants to do something similar, they are going to have to do a LOT of backtracking and just end up pissing their customers off more than Microsoft did in the first place. Keep in mind Microsoft didn't make it so ALL games would be locked from being sold, only if the publisher wants it. Sony doesn't even have that option.

Basically, I predict that the PS4 is going to do well in the beginning, but the One is going to grab a lot of exclusives and end up with cheaper games overall.

Note: This is from an unbiased perspective as I won't be buying either console ;)

I am impressed by Sony pulling this off. Its making be consider a PS4. However, I have to be very honest when I say that DRM in general matters so very little to me as a consumer. I know thats some face slapping shit, but I just dont give a shit about gaming or consumer rights like some of the warriors you find being vocal on forums.

Gaming is throw away, relaxing hobby of mine. That means politics or consumer rights are the least of my worries .. mostly. I like that Sony isn't doing the DRM route don't get me wrong, but personally it matters very little to me that MS is. I'm a 30 something gamer, and I couldn't tell you the last time I lent a game to a friend, or hell even traded one in. It may have been over 7 years to be honest. Non of the stuff people are screaming about affects me or my gaming habits. I feel nothing. I do most of my gaming on my PC where Xbox-like DRM has existed for nearly 25 years. For some reason MS got all kinds of flack for its DRM when they are mostly mirroring the PC platform. However, Sony did good by capitalizing on this attention and are taking a leap of faith with that $399 price. They most certainly are going to be selling very PS4 at a considerable loss.. but that only matters to Sony. Regardless, brave of them and good. Good for Sony.

Ultimately I will buy the console that my friends are on + has the games I want.. I will not buy it for any other reason, especially a political or consumer rights issue lol. I dont plan on getting either a PS4 or XB1 at launch, but will likely upgrade my PC and wait a year or so to see which platform looks the best once the dust has settled and where my friends have landed. I very much suspect that will end up being a XB1 b/c most of my friends are already talking about XB1 and a few pre ordered it today. That might change.

Congrats to Sony, they deserve the attention for taking risks and listening to vocal consumers. They have got me interested in their platform, but that may very well change tomorrow. The $399 is outrageous and MS certainly knows they loose hands down on the price front. Its not like Sony is working magic here.. they are packing expensive hardware and selling it at a big loss hoping the build the brand and establish a base. Risky but it may pay off.

I'm headed to E3 for the next 3 days to walk the show floor.. that should give me a better insight to which platform I like most right now.

I don't think this was a very smart move for Sony. This generation of consoles has the same architecture, so how well they do is going to boil down to who handles content better... By restricting used sales, Microsoft has enabled a "Steam sale" environment, where ultimately people get the game at the price they are willing to pay. This is much more attractive to publishers, and will allow them to provide games to consumers at lower prices than they would be willing to on the PS4. Now if Sony wants to do something similar, they are going to have to do a LOT of backtracking and just end up pissing their customers off more than Microsoft did in the first place. Keep in mind Microsoft didn't make it so ALL games would be locked from being sold, only if the publisher wants it. Sony doesn't even have that option.

Basically, I predict that the PS4 is going to do well in the beginning, but the One is going to grab a lot of exclusives and end up with cheaper games overall.

Note: This is from an unbiased perspective as I won't be buying either console ;)

I like your opinion! :D

Count me in. I guess I won't make a truly final decision until both are on shelves, but it's sounding good so far. It'll be interesting to see how/if MS responds in terms of their policies and price and how/if Sony may respond in turn. Always a fun dance to watch . . .

I don't think this was a very smart move for Sony. This generation of consoles has the same architecture, so how well they do is going to boil down to who handles content better... By restricting used sales, Microsoft has enabled a "Steam sale" environment, where ultimately people get the game at the price they are willing to pay.
How is forcing disc based games to be tied to an account have anything to do with digital sales? Sony's digital sales are tied to your account just like Microsoft's are.

I don't see why consoles can't utilize more keyboard/mouse combos for gaming.. that would be a nice feature.

But yeah I got ps1 ps2 and ps3 (I got the boxes in my closet) so I will try to get a ps4. I dont have any of the handhelds though.

I finally got a reason to get a new tv, i been playing ps3 and my pc on my old 22 lcd monitor. I dont think ps4 would look much different from ps3 if im not rocking at 1080p lol..

Expect the first few games to suck until developers learn how to push the hardware.

I was more interested in the exclusives Microsoft showed for the Xbox One, but I like Sony's policies when it comes to all that DRM stuff, a whole lot more. I still wonder what is going to happen with third parties, because I think they've said it's up to developers. I'm sure I'll end up getting both, and there's a lot of time between now and November (and whenever Sony will launch the PS4), so we'll see.

Because Microsoft can account for every copy of any game sold on its new system while Sony can only account for total units sold.

That PS4 copy of Killzone may change hands 4 times at no cost while the Titanfall copy will change hands and require a purchase everytime it does switch owners. If MS tells a publisher that it will guarantee a required purchase when a copy changes hands then they will likely give MS more lee-way to set prices on their games. After all, the same copy of TF being bought 3 times at $60 the first time, $50 the second time, and $40 the third time WHERE THE PUBLISHER GETS THE CUT will make them amenable to Steam-like sales.

This will be the only saving grace for Microsoft this gen if they get it right.

Because Microsoft can account for every copy of any game sold on its new system while Sony can only account for total units sold.

That PS4 copy of Killzone may change hands 4 times at no cost while the Titanfall copy will change hands and require a purchase everytime it does switch owners. If MS tells a publisher that it will guarantee a required purchase when a copy changes hands then they will likely give MS more lee-way to set prices on their games. After all, the same copy of TF being bought 3 times at $60 the first time, $50 the second time, and $40 the third time WHERE THE PUBLISHER GETS THE CUT will make them amenable to Steam-like sales.

This will be the only saving grace for Microsoft this gen if they get it right.

They won't get it right. They already lost.

microsoft didn't shoot themselves in the foot they shot from the dick down off windows 8 oh yeah it blows the xbone yeah it blows harder than windows 8. All they need to do now is release a bad server os and a bad tablet/phone oh wait. Where everything microsoft touches turns to shit 2013 microsoft year of fail.

Most of those Xbone games will come to PC and they'll be much cheaper and visually better without the BS.
I already have Steam and I don't need MS version of it.

With the PS4 and PC, I got MS coming and going. No need for me to wait for the Xbone to possibly catch up.

For business: User Base > Game Library
Just ask Valve.

Any suggestions on what PS 4 games to pre-order? I just pre-ordered the PS4 on Amazon. I figure I should pre-order a game or two, as well.

I know no one can tell which launch games will be good, but what looks the most promising? Watch Dogs looked kind of cool. Dunno, maybe Killzone? Infamous?

I play most anything (rpgs, shooters, sports, strategy, etc).

Any suggestions on what PS 4 games to pre-order? I just pre-ordered the PS4 on Amazon. I figure I should pre-order a game or two, as well.

I know no one can tell which launch games will be good, but what looks the most promising? Watch Dogs looked kind of cool. Dunno, maybe Killzone? Infamous?

I'm going with Killzone/Infamous/Destiny for the PS4.

I just pre-ordered at my local GS. Was #2 on their lists, so I'm guaranteed release day! For those interested, GS required $100 down for the console and $5 for each extra controller.

Now I'm just waiting to see what the launch titles are.

The main problem with your argument is that sony has back tracked before and it didn't really hurt them. Second if they start outselling the xbone my large amount publishers are going to where more clients are regardless of anything else. Finally they always have the option of just not selling a DVD copy of a game. The good old disc you find in stores can be replaced with a cardboard card with a CD key on it. Suddenly they can sell everywhere but its digital therefor no used games.

This is the generation like it or not where consolers will lose their used games. Which makes the cheers for sony and hate for MS all just so laughable.

What ever MS did or did not do doesn't matter because in the end they screwed up the publicity because most news sites are just strait up saying no used games on xbone and all used games on PS4, at least that's the message that seems to be getting into the consumers heads.

This is how its gong to go down. Some highly anticipated game like say BF4 will be announced and EA will state that it will no longer have a disc version. You can buy it strait from you PS4, or pick up a key in retail stores. Everyone will cry about it, but in the end because its a mega hit they will all buy it anyway. That's exactly how steam came to be with HL2, that's exactly how origin finally got a decent sized user base with BF3 and that's exactly how consolers will finally break and become slaves to the digital copy. I

They may do other things like offer more content or simply cheaper prices if you buy digital only as well. But I am pretty sure that game studios and the console makers will start trying this with their biggest titles. COD made waves in various forms this way so they could be the big player that pushes everyone over the edge.

I don't know if it will be a launch title, but I'm keeping an eye on Capcom's Deep Down.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Yea the above is simular to what I've been thinking.

Some other thoughts:

Looks like the ps4 price is without the camera. Personally I like my kinect as a mic, controlling movies, etc. Female friends love it for the dancing games. With the kinect in the box I see it being used more then the playstation solution which didn't look as good anyway.

Looks like multiplayer on the ps will require a subscription. With the ps3 it was free so it didn't matter that it wasn't as good. Sony claimed they were going to be better than live and free on the last gen. Competing at the same price( or close) means they really need to up their game.

To me I see the xbox looking more to the future than the ps4. I was expecting both systems to be simular in games and the difference being in multiplayer and everything else. The everything else on the xbox looks good to me. Hopefully sony will have more to show.

I am wondering how the publishers are going to handle the ps4. With the current gen you had online pass' and codes for dlc for new games. EA said they were going away from this and with how the xbox works it makes sense. I don't see them giving up that money for the ps4. Pretty much I just don't see a company like ea doing something that pro consumer. I'm kinda expecting more with dlc on the ps4 because of this or games somehow requiring online play. I guess time will tell.

Mind you I want more info on the MS system but it kinda looks like a better version of steam with the possible exception of one thing. As of right now MS has treated the downloadable full games as a distant second. They have done some with sales, if they can take this further this could be good. I'm also really interested in the up to 10 family members can play your games. I don't loan out many games with the exception of my brothers. One is in his early 20's(I'm 30) and the other is 16. I generally have lent or given games to them although the 23 year old buys a lot of them himself. If the sharing works well it could be real interesting.

I also like the xbox solution of bring your own tablet or phone for a second screen. I'm not a fan of the psp and while the vitta has some advantages I don't see myself getting one to take advantage of them if I buy a ps4. I haven't used this feature much on the 360 but who knows what will come of it.

Right now the xbox still has me as the better solution but time will tell. Big thing is goign to be multiplayer. This last gen the xbox was where it was at. Having a chat system that went across games was a really nice feature. Now the ps4 will at least have this.

I've owned both xbox's and all 3 play stations. I got rid of my ps3 a while ago because it didn't have the games to justify it to me and I didn't care about it as a blue ray player. Right now I have the xbox one preordered on amazon. I figure what the hell. If sony catches my attention enough I'll pick one up as well. I guess at some point I'll have both systems even if I ditch the xbox preorder and get a ps4 instead.

This doesn't work. Pricing is good on Steam because there is competiton from other sourcese. On the Xbox all games would have to follow MS's DRM, and it's a captive market, so users have no choice but to buy the game.

Look at Origin, GFWL etc. they have almost no sales. Steam is an exception and not the norm.

im worried my order wont be fulfilled by amazon. might go to gamestop to preorder..

This is the generation like it or not where consolers will lose their used games. Which makes the cheers for sony and hate for MS all just so laughable.

This is how its gong to go down. Some highly anticipated game like say BF4 will be announced and EA will state that it will no longer have a disc version. You can buy it strait from you PS4, or pick up a key in retail stores. Everyone will cry about it, but in the end because its a mega hit they will all buy it anyway. That's exactly how steam came to be with HL2, that's exactly how origin finally got a decent sized user base with BF3 and that's exactly how consolers will finally break and become slaves to the digital copy. I

Yea this is what I was talking about. I don't know exactly how it will go down but I'd have to think the big publishers are going to try something like this. The MS system has some neat ideas behind it if they play it right. I just wonder if sony will be trying to play catchup again and loose out.

Right now we don't have enough info on either system on this. We need to know how publishers are going to make up for the difference(maybe sony will give them a kick back on the online multiplayer fees). We also need more info on how the xbox will handle everything.

Yea the above is simular to what I've been thinking.

Some other thoughts:

Looks like the ps4 price is without the camera. Personally I like my kinect as a mic, controlling movies, etc. Female friends love it for the dancing games. With the kinect in the box I see it being used more then the playstation solution which didn't look as good anyway.

Looks like multiplayer on the ps will require a subscription. With the ps3 it was free so it didn't matter that it wasn't as good. Sony claimed they were going to be better than live and free on the last gen. Competing at the same price( or close) means they really need to up their game.

To me I see the xbox looking more to the future than the ps4. I was expecting both systems to be simular in games and the difference being in multiplayer and everything else. The everything else on the xbox looks good to me. Hopefully sony will have more to show.

I am wondering how the publishers are going to handle the ps4. With the current gen you had online pass' and codes for dlc for new games. EA said they were going away from this and with how the xbox works it makes sense. I don't see them giving up that money for the ps4. Pretty much I just don't see a company like ea doing something that pro consumer. I'm kinda expecting more with dlc on the ps4 because of this or games somehow requiring online play. I guess time will tell.

Mind you I want more info on the MS system but it kinda looks like a better version of steam with the possible exception of one thing. As of right now MS has treated the downloadable full games as a distant second. They have done some with sales, if they can take this further this could be good. I'm also really interested in the up to 10 family members can play your games. I don't loan out many games with the exception of my brothers. One is in his early 20's(I'm 30) and the other is 16. I generally have lent or given games to them although the 23 year old buys a lot of them himself. If the sharing works well it could be real interesting.

I also like the xbox solution of bring your own tablet or phone for a second screen. I'm not a fan of the psp and while the vitta has some advantages I don't see myself getting one to take advantage of them if I buy a ps4. I haven't used this feature much on the 360 but who knows what will come of it.

Right now the xbox still has me as the better solution but time will tell. Big thing is goign to be multiplayer. This last gen the xbox was where it was at. Having a chat system that went across games was a really nice feature. Now the ps4 will at least have this.

I've owned both xbox's and all 3 play stations. I got rid of my ps3 a while ago because it didn't have the games to justify it to me and I didn't care about it as a blue ray player. Right now I have the xbox one preordered on amazon. I figure what the hell. If sony catches my attention enough I'll pick one up as well. I guess at some point I'll have both systems even if I ditch the xbox preorder and get a ps4 instead.

Also of people argue this is where the extra $100 price comes in for Kinect, and I agree Kinect is good and all and MS wants developers to develop with it as a core part of every system. ONLY one problem, we all know how lazy devs are, they totally miss easy things that's why we call games console ports. So when it comes down to it devs are going to do the same lazy crap between PS4 and xbone titles. If the PS4 doesn't have a camera why program to use it for the xbone? Isnt it easier to just make the game the same on both and only use the controller?

No publisher is going to offer digital games only, that is suicide for consoles. And I don't care what a few big names like BF4 do, there will be *plenty* of other devs, Sony 1st party studios, indies etc, who will offer games and more importantly, single player games which have always been more important on Playstation.

Also of people argue this is where the extra $100 price comes in for Kinect, and I agree Kinect is good and all and MS wants developers to develop with it as a core part of every system. ONLY one problem, we all know how lazy devs are, they totally miss easy things that's why we call games console ports. So when it comes down to it devs are going to do the same lazy crap between PS4 and xbone titles. If the PS4 doesn't have a camera why program to use it for the xbone? Isnt it easier to just make the game the same on both and only use the controller?

Out of all the games MS showed today, not a SINGLE one used Kinect. That should tell you how many games will use it.

No publisher is going to offer digital games only, that is suicide for consoles. And I don't care what a few big names like BF4 do, there will be *plenty* of other devs, Sony 1st party studios, indies etc, who will offer games and more importantly, single player games which have always been more important on Playstation.

Plenty of what you call XBL titles are already digital only....

You have a much higher chance of it being used if it is there for everyone though. Look at the network adapter and hd adapters that sony had for the ps2(that were killed off on the slim). On the ps3 the camera never took off like the kinect on the 360.

I'd kinda expect sony to have another combo that will come with the camera. I just don't see it being used as much though if it isn't standard. If MS can play this right they can go for the crowd that bought the first wii that also bought a 360 because of the workout programs, dancing games, etc. I'm waiting to see that lips game merge with a dancing game using the kinect. I could see a lot of people buying whatever system gives you that the best way. You will not get the hardcore gamers this way, but that isn't the only crowd to go after.

Wrong. There is a tolerance limit that consumers have to this kind of nonsense, that Microsoft walked right up to and over the edge of. They overestimated. If they used Steam as a case study to believe their plan would work, they were sorely misguided since its apples and oranges, vastly different demographics, and many more upsides to Steam which is a separate topic - the Steam model simply doesn't translate 1:1. And Microsoft was never interested in "Steam like" pricing where games would regularly go on sale down the line - they're wholly intent on maximizing profit, those games were going to stay $60 no matter what. The youth crowd obviously still has a big interest in selling and trading their discs. Personally I find it trivial but I also understand the issue is massive in its P.R. gravity , and bad P.R. can make or break entertainment products.

Out of all the games MS showed today, not a SINGLE one used Kinect. That should tell you how many games will use it.

Fact of the matter is no developers are interested in the gimmick, even if Microshaft is trying to ram it into everyone's living room for their own longterm, data collection and advertising-related reasons (take a look at their patent applications related to kinect in recent years). The Wii sold big when the gimmick was new, everyone bowled a few times, the end. The Kinect sold to everyone that hadn't already "been there, done that" with a Wii. If motion control were compelling and here to stay then the Wii-U wouldn't be in the toilet now. FWIW, a product manager at EA also recently tweeted about motion controllers being "retarded" so that tells you where developers might stand on it. It makes for great demo showing to mom or grandpa but at the end of the day people rather hold a controller than stand in their living room shadow boxing or throwing a boomering, or awkwardly yelling for a channel change in the middle of the night as people slept.

Last edited:
You have a much higher chance of it being used if it is there for everyone though. Look at the network adapter and hd adapters that sony had for the ps2(that were killed off on the slim). On the ps3 the camera never took off like the kinect on the 360.

I'd kinda expect sony to have another combo that will come with the camera. I just don't see it being used as much though if it isn't standard. If MS can play this right they can go for the crowd that bought the first wii that also bought a 360 because of the workout programs, dancing games, etc. I'm waiting to see that lips game merge with a dancing game using the kinect. I could see a lot of people buying whatever system gives you that the best way. You will not get the hardcore gamers this way, but that isn't the only crowd to go after.

Yes but right now, even though I am obviously influenced by the hard crowd it looks like the xbone will be heavily outsold by the PS3 and that will just cause less interest. At this point MS only has one option. They will need to require devs to support the Kinect. but then they run the risk of scaring them away.

Also I just don't see MS nailing the casual crowd, and the main reason is the price. Remember the wii was a bargain low priced system in addition to its cheap controllers and gimmick games. That goes great for parents who want to invest less into elementary school kids. Double the price does not go well for that same demographic. I would like to say they could advertise well and attack sony saying things like buying a PS4 will make your kids fat or something, but we all know MS is hands down the worst company in the world at advertising so don't count on any success in that department.

Not true. Go back and watch the video for "D4." You'll see the game asking for hand gestures.

As far as the PS4 goes, it looks like it's going to have 500gb HDD out of the box according to the official press release. No word on being user replaceable though.

edit: also looks like it comes with a headset and hdmi cable...those inclusions actually surprise me (especially since the PS3 launched with only RCA cables, not even component)

As much as I hate sony I think I'd have to go with PS4 this round.

I will probably get neither, and I've had at least one console out of every generation since the Atari.

10 minutes ago I was definitely getting a PS4. Now that Sony has decided that charging for multiplayer is a good idea and that PS4 will do it, both consoles can fuck off.

I don't play multiplayer, also the PS+ let's me play great games for free (uncharted 3 would cost me more than the ps+ subscription) so I really don't care about the charging.

However what I care is that most of the Xbone features like Netflix, online tv and such will not be working in my country, so the 80% of what is advertised by MS has no value to me. The smartglass is crap - as shown in Forza Horizon, and Gold subscription costs twice much as PS+ plan. Top it with 100 euro difference (which is a lot for me) and I get a winner for my next console.

Back