PS4: $399, no online authentication, no used game restrictions...(Post E3 discussion)

Since the PS4 and Xbox one are so similar in terms of cpu and gpu, are developers even going to bother to utilize the increase memory and speed of the PS4? I just wonder if the Xbox one will actually hold back the PS4.

Since the PS4 and Xbox one are so similar in terms of cpu and gpu, are developers even going to bother to utilize the increase memory and speed of the PS4? I just wonder if the Xbox one will actually hold back the PS4.

How are the GPUs similar when the Xbox One has a Cut down HD 7790 (HD 7780) and the PS4 has a cut down HD 7870 ( HD 7860)

Delevopers say due to the stronger GPU in the PS4 itwill run at 60 FPS no confirmation on res yet though. Some say 1080p and others 720p. They did say Drive Club will be 1080@60

I don't think you understand what I am saying- if a game developer wants to make a game for both systems will they take the time to take advantage of the PS4's increase of power over the Xbox one. From the specs it looks like any game that will run on the Xbox one will run on the PS4 no problem. I am wondering will developers take the time to take advantage of the extra power or just ignore it because they know anything for a One will run on a PS4.

Those aren't free. You have to keep paying a monthly fee or they take your access to those games away.

I prefer, you know... owning my games free and clear. Not to say that I don't understand the appeal.

Although, yes, there are games that are "free" on the Wii U. Tank! Tank! Tank! bombed in retail, so they made the base game free and offered to sell extra content. Also, supposedly Nintendo is making a free to play version of Steel Diver. Why that game? I have no idea.

How are the GPUs similar when the Xbox One has a Cut down HD 7790 (HD 7780) and the PS4 has a cut down HD 7870 ( HD 7860)

Delevopers say due to the stronger GPU in the PS4 itwill run at 60 FPS no confirmation on res yet though. Some say 1080p and others 720p. They did say Drive Club will be 1080@60

Where did we get any confirmation of the GPUs being used?

A lot of devs wont do anything different a few will. My guess is most likely devs will target 30 fps on the xbone and then will let games just go faster on the PS4, some will probably just turn one setting up one notch.

PS4 is 33% more powerful GPU, plus GDDR5 memory, both of which is going to make a pretty big difference. Go out and look at PC GPU's that have DDR3 then compare them to equal GPU's with GDDR5 memory. The difference is quiet staggering. The speed of the memory used by graphics has a direct correlation to graphics card performance.

So to answer your question, I do not think at launch there will be much difference as developers just want to get the games working -bug free. Shortly after launch I wouldn't doubt if we start seeing PS4 graphics pulling away, especially when it comes to SCE published games.

confirmed a little back. also look at the spec sheets

I did. I followed the "information" back and all it ever lead to was an article or two about speculations back when it was still called "Xbox 720" or "Durango".

I'm pessimistic and I just like confirmation from the hardware makers.

lol whats the point in AA if your are scaling IE blurring it anyway, if you cant afford to run at native then you cant afford AA.

lol whats the point in AA if your are scaling IE blurring it anyway, if you cant afford to run at native then you cant afford AA.

If I'm understanding your rough english, then yes I agree to some degree, but I was under the impression that 1080p would be the new standard native resolution for games. Is that not the case and we'll still be upscaling 720p or are you referencing 4k?

I always go back to uncharted3 as a prime example. It looked great as long as there were no angles or curves on the screen, then it was just a mess of rough edges.

Well you referenced the PS3 and complained of lack of AA, but hardly any games on the PS3 actually run at 1080p.

As far as the PS4, actually devs are mentioning dropping the resolution to try to increase frame rates. So we are still looking at the possibly of lots of scaling. To me it will just be a miracle if many games actually do run at native resolution. Trying to ask for AA on top of that is pushing it. I think AA is the last thing you want to implement unless your game really has a surplus graphics power available.

Well you referenced the PS3 and complained of lack of AA, but hardly any games on the PS3 actually run at 1080p.

As far as the PS4, actually devs are mentioning dropping the resolution to try to increase frame rates. So we are still looking at the possibly of lots of scaling. To me it will just be a miracle if many games actually do run at native resolution. Trying to ask for AA on top of that is pushing it. I think AA is the last thing you want to implement unless your game really has a surplus graphics power available.

This is what I am thinking. It will be a major accomplishment just to get the games running in native resolution @ 30+ fps consistently. AA is a major frame rate killer with shadows a close second. AA sucks all the juice out of any GPU I ever used in PC gaming.

This is what I am thinking. It will be a major accomplishment just to get the games running in native resolution @ 30+ fps consistently. AA is a major frame rate killer with shadows a close second. AA sucks all the juice out of any GPU I ever used in PC gaming.

I don't see why PS4 games couldn't have more AA. I mean, I tried replaying Killzone 3 and as good as that game looks the jagged edges all over the place really ruin it. I think even the PS3 could do better than that. With PS4 they have no excuse anymore. I would rather have some decent AA and sacrifice a little visual fidelity.

The extra gpu power of PS4 may mean more 30fps games, not more 60s. Before your head explodes, think a second. 60fps requires a lot of CPU, which neither console has, and the PS4 has even less since without something like SHAPE it has to do audio on the CPU. To finish a frame under 16.7ms you need to do double of everything, draw calls, geometry cullng, ray casts, physics calculations, etc... Many developers have said this many times.

And when you are cpu bottlenecked to 30fps vsynced and your GPU isn't being taxed, what do you do? You start looking for other things for the GPU to do, and in the process you get a much richer game.

If you take a look at the newly announced 60fps games, they aren't really adding many new features that would add excessive CPU overhead. I mostly see better resolutions, bigger textures, better post processing, more detailed models, draw distance, particles, dynamic lighting, shader AA methods, etc... these things come from 8x gpu horsepower and 16x memory.

This applies to traditional CPU-driven rendering. When the industry moves to GPU/compute shader-driven rendering things will change. This will be a very interesting gen from a game engine tech perspective.

Last edited:
There are already a lot of console games running at 60 fps on consoles with CPUs dramatically slower then the upcoming generation.

There are already a lot of console games running at 60 fps on consoles with CPUs dramatically slower then the upcoming generation.

Which ones are those and how many are running at 1080p?

Which ones are those and how many are running at 1080p?

Call of Duty games on the 360 run at 60 fps. Possiy not all of them, but at least a few that I played. Those are quite popular as you may be aware. They run at a low resolutions due to GPU limitations, not CPU speed.

Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3 (except the 4 player one) run at 60 fps and those games push a ridiculous number of onscreen objects and terrain geometry.

Call of Duty games on the 360 run at 60 fps. Possiy not all of them, but at least a few that I played. Those are quite popular as you may be aware. They run at a low resolutions due to GPU limitations, not CPU speed.

Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3 (except the 4 player one) run at 60 fps and those games push a ridiculous number of onscreen objects and terrain geometry.

Call of Duty is using an engine as dated as the console hardware, so I'm not at all surprised they run well on old stuff.

There are some developers who believe every platform should deliver a similar experience to one another. That's why so many PC ports are not much better than console graphics. I wouldn't doubt if dev's use One as a base then build PS4 from that. It will take exclusive titles to really show what the PS4 can do.

There are some developers who believe every platform should deliver a similar experience to one another. That's why so many PC ports are not much better than console graphics. I wouldn't doubt if dev's use One as a base then build PS4 from that. It will take exclusive titles to really show what the PS4 can do.

Believe is such an interesting way of saying it, sounds more like they are lazy and can make up a belief that suits their wishes.

ocellaris you listed 2 and neither un at 1080p. Point is most console games do not run at 60 fps and very few even touch 1080p.

That is laziness and companies not wanting to spend money, not developers trying to give everyone the same experience.

Only the first one ran at 60 FPS.

The developers conducted a survey and found out most players prefer better graphics at 30 fps than worse graphics at 60.

Sony confirmed PS3 accessories like Bluetooth headsets will be compatible with PS4.

I am hoping this is the case for a lot of accessories. Like my $150 turtle beach wireless headset. Really don't want to have to buy another one.

Only the first one ran at 60 FPS.

The developers conducted a survey and found out most players prefer better graphics at 30 fps than worse graphics at 60.

consoles ppl never had luxury of 60 or 120 fps
they don't know what they are missing

Launch edition preorders are back online at Amazon. You only get charged any money when the system ships. Just got myself the Watch Dogs bundle. Get them while you can. Guaranteed on release day and you get $10 off a year of PS Plus with the Battlefield 4 and Killzone bundles. Only the launch editions with the games is available, but you were probably going to at least get one game at launch weren't you?

They have the system with either Killzone, Battlefield 4, Knack, or Watchdogs.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...&qid=1374697506&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+4

Btw, does anyone have any idea whether the PS4 has a slot-load drive or a tray? By the looks of it, it looks like a tray.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Btw, does anyone have any idea whether the PS4 has a slot-load drive or a tray? By the looks of it, it looks like a tray.

You can clearly see it is a slot loader in one of the pictures on the amazon link you posted

You can clearly see it is a slot loader in one of the pictures on the amazon link you posted

Wow... was not easy to see at all. I've been examining even the high-res pictures and couldn't tell.... but I see it now.

playstation-4-front.jpg

Nice troll.

Like you had a launch preorder anyway. Have fun playing Mario kart rehashes. Lol

You must be new here, I bought my PS3 on day 1. Went through two phats and still have my slim.What upsets me is that they promised they would never charge for multiplayer. I'll buy one, but i'll be playing the waiting game and see what happens. Definitely not buying on day one.

You must be new here, I bought my PS3 on day 1. Went through two phats and still have my slim.What upsets me is that they promised they would never charge for multiplayer. I'll buy one, but i'll be playing the waiting game and see what happens. Definitely not buying on day one.

I dont think they lied. The never charged for multiplayer on ps3. However they are for ps4 and I am fine with that if they do dedicated servers and continue PS+ perks(I recently go PS+ during their march sale). Xbox Live multiplayer outside of cross game chat and party chat sucks balls. Its a constant lag fest these days and I only have Gold to play because I dont watch netflix etc. and its bs that they make you have gold for that too.

I dont think they lied. The never charged for multiplayer on ps3. However they are for ps4 and I am fine with that if they do dedicated servers and continue PS+ perks(I recently go PS+ during their march sale). Xbox Live multiplayer outside of cross game chat and party chat sucks balls. Its a constant lag fest these days and I only have Gold to play because I dont watch netflix etc. and its bs that they make you have gold for that too.

I had a 1 month free PS+ trail. Liked it so much I went ahead and paid for a year. Only complaint I have is my backlog keeps growing thanks to these "free" games :p

Back