PS3's new game Heavy Rain, gameplay shown... holy... crap....

Yea, wasn't too impressed with the quicktime event. Will have to see more. The game does however look incredible.

live demonstrations show that quicktime events arent the only thing going on with this game. they also say you could have avoided confronting the man altogether. also, if you die its permanent... no game overs.... weird

this game seems incredible to me for some reason

Permanent as in no saves? Or do you mean no continues? Because no continues in games have been around fora while...

An updated Shenmue? Let's hope. Heaven forbid this shit turns out like Dragon's Liar with its quicktime events. Even a D-like clone would be bad.

It's made by the guys who did Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, which seems very apparent from the trailer. Hopefully, it won't have the awkward matrix clone feeling like the second half of Indigo prophecy had.

David Cage already said before that Heavy Rain won't have the supernatural elements to it like Fahrenheit had.

Personally, I think QTE's are a cop out. They are mindless, and just a cheap way to try and make a movie sequence feel like gameplay instead of a movie sequence.

With QTE's in games, they could at LEAST make them have more then one choice. IE, so at one point in that trailer that it shows a button to press, instead of one button it has two pop up, with each offereing a different outcome or action then the other. This way you at least offer something different then the same scripted sequence or such.

I loved Fahrenheit, mainly for it's storyline and the way you could make choices during the game that had an affect on things later on. I even didn't mind the supernatural elements that some people hated, however I did not enjoy the simon says QTE's and found them to simply get in the way of the game (I'd much rather have watched what was going on with the game then having huge ass buttons pop up all the time, luckily in this one they are smaller/not so bright).

QTE are total junk, and depending on implementation make for an extremely frustrating gaming experience as you have to do a long sequence over and over and over just because you slipped up at some point.

Those folks are not getting my 60 bucks, I don't care how excellent the gfx are. Some other developer will come along and make a real game rather than a click-through movie.

It's going to be full of quick time events becuase they even say, that it's not a normal game. It's a story driven experience with user interaction to help move the story along.

Permanent as in no saves? Or do you mean no continues? Because no continues in games have been around fora while...
he said that if the girl dies for example, that you dont get a game over for that. the story continues. not sure how this will work

to everyone about the QTEs, he said there would be 60 of these or so, like i said earlier though its your choice whether you want to avoid them or get into them and there is also much more to the game than these sequences. and you do have a choice in these QTEs. icons appear nearby objects and such and you can choose to use them or not. it isnt a series of buttons you need to press to "win" this game is more about choices as far as i know. its way deeper than just QTEs

but anyway i value this game for the vision and effort, and revolution or evolution of gaming theyre trying to create, even if they dont succeed. i will always value developers like this above someone who uses a tried and true formula, personally.

lol

love the "in-game" ya in-game - in game cut scene are what most of the screen shots going around are.. the one of her outside with rain on her face..

lol

love the "in-game" ya in-game - in game cut scene are what most of the screen shots going around are.. the one of her outside with rain on her face..

I don't see the issue when it's rendered in real time in the game's engine.

I do because they can take shortcuts with the rendering since the camera is locked onto a location.

In real "in-game" shots, the whole world needs to be rendered and ready in the system, so when you turn that camera there isn't a delay. When the camera is locked, aka you wont see anything but what they let you see, there's no need to render the complete world only the small picture of what the developers allow in your sight.

That said, my interest is a little piqued with that permanent dead feature and quicktime events hopefully (we've been lied to before) not being the bulk of the game (but then if they weren't why show them in a trailer?).

so is it gameplay like it said at start of video or is it a cutscene? i dont consider cutscenes to be "gameplay" since there is no actually "playing" going on, just watching. guess its BS and won't look half as good in actual "gameplay" once game is released. Sony has a nack for BS in this area...

so is it gameplay like it said at start of video or is it a cutscene? i dont consider cutscenes to be "gameplay" since there is no actually "playing" going on, just watching. guess its BS and won't look half as good in actual "gameplay" once game is released. Sony has a nack for BS in this area...

+1 I'll have to wait and see if this is actual gameplay

Umm, it is the same as in-game real time, the same as MGS4's cutscenes, etc.

Similar to Fahrenheit, you'll be in control of the character and then a QTE will kick into place at a high point (IE You're in your office and then the FBI shows up and you have to quickly escape/evade them).

As far as "shortcuts" go umm....how do you think most games work these days? Video cards load surround parts into memory, but the video cards generally only render what you see on screen at the time, they do not waste resources on rendering objects you can't see....that would just not be smart at all and would cause un-needed framerate hits.

This game will be switching in/out of gameplay into QTE's similar to fahrenheit, which looked the same before and after, it uses the same in-game enginge just like how MGS4 and other games do in-game cutscenes/QTE's.

I do because they can take shortcuts with the rendering since the camera is locked onto a location.

In real "in-game" shots, the whole world needs to be rendered and ready in the system, so when you turn that camera there isn't a delay. When the camera is locked, aka you wont see anything but what they let you see, there's no need to render the complete world only the small picture of what the developers allow in your sight.

That said, my interest is a little piqued with that permanent dead feature and quicktime events hopefully (we've been lied to before) not being the bulk of the game (but then if they weren't why show them in a trailer?).
+1 I'll have to wait and see if this is actual gameplay

it is actual gameplay indeed, from the start of the game. they were shown a live demonstration of the game in action, with a controller and they were driving a bike, stopped at the house got off bike, opened mailbox moved objects around, entered house, etc. the camera is locked during the gameplay to give it a more movie like feel. the guy also said that there are no load times, ever.

If it's anything like Indigo Prophecy, it'll be awesome. QTE be damned, they are there, yes. But also there were some really great choices you could make in conversations and in certain situations that affect how the story plays out. You guys are focusing on the wrong things.

Heaven forbid this shit turns out like Dragon's Liar with its quicktime events.

Heh, I also thought about Dragons Liar as soon as I saw the button signals. I dont have anything against Dragons Liar though.

Its like guitar hero for action games.

It's supposed to be an evolving storyline so it changes according to what you do. So if the girl dies...she dies. The story goes on.

I always die a lot, and I really dislike having to clear my saved data to keep playing the game. QTEs aren't appealing.

The Dragon's Lair analogies are hilarious. That's all button pushing event timing games are ultimately.

Gaming that people already grew bored of by 1983.

The Dragon's Lair analogies are hilarious. That's all button pushing event timing games are ultimately.

Gaming that people already grew bored of by 1983.

Guitar Hero and Rockband says otherwise.

yea its tough to tell what is gameplay and what is not..

if you played Indigo Prophecy you know there are some sequences that are long glorified cutscenes with QTEs..

in the video , i didn't see any player controlled movements beyond the QTE's.. they seemed to be in game cutscenes, camera cutescene angles etc..

yahtzee will rip this game a new one :D

Yahtzee sucks. He's done. The masses have discovered him and with his new found popularity (digg) he tries to over do his hate. He was reviewing bad games and picking them apart... which was great. But then he tries to hate on an amazing game and falls short by a mile.

yea its tough to tell what is gameplay and what is not..

if you played Indigo Prophecy you know there are some sequences that are long glorified cutscenes with QTEs..

in the video , i didn't see any player controlled movements beyond the QTE's.. they seemed to be in game cutscenes, camera cutescene angles etc..

like i said before they demonstrated the game and the entire video is in fact gameplay.

Back