PS3 will have DVR capabilities by March 08

wow that'd be amazing, then I could ditch the DVD recorder that I use solely for tv w00t to less electronics cluttering my space:)

an all in one unit, i knew this was coming! sony make the best media centers atm.

I do love how Sony promises stuff so far in advance. It's how they killed the dreamcast. :D

Since firmware 1.80 I've been blown away by my PS3.

It is my sole media device in my HT (projector on a 100" screen).

Both with SD DVD and BR it's amazing- even at 'only' 720p

Now I have an even better reason to upgrade my PS3's 20GB drive to something over 100GB.
Weeee!

So to receive the TV signal the PS3 would need a coax connector. So they would need a dongle
or small box that has coax in to USB out. Is that correct?

It will suffer from the same problem that all DVRs that aren't offered by your satallite or cable providers have. They can't record any HD channells but over the air channels. The restrictions put on CableCard recording devices is just insane so if Sony did offer one, it would have to be a new unit that the cable card recorder was tied to.

So, great idea and concept, but the only stations you'll be watching on your TV in HD will be regular network stations. For anything else, you'll be recording in SD. I think the 360 has more functionality in this regard. It can connect to a computer using CableCard and stream HD content from there.

It will suffer from the same problem that all DVRs that aren't offered by your satallite or cable providers have. They can't record any HD channells but over the air channels. The restrictions put on CableCard recording devices is just insane so if Sony did offer one, it would have to be a new unit that the cable card recorder was tied to.

So, great idea and concept, but the only stations you'll be watching on your TV in HD will be regular network stations. For anything else, you'll be recording in SD. I think the 360 has more functionality in this regard. It can connect to a computer using CableCard and stream HD content from there.

You can stream content from your PC to your PS3, they just recently added that with one of the newier firmware updates.

I also heard reports that it will have games by september 09, that sounds pretty cool.

You can stream content from your PC to your PS3, they just recently added that with one of the newier firmware updates.

You cannot stream the cable channel HD content from Media Center to anything other than a Media Center Extender. It's protected content. Content providers have done the best they possibly can to nerf CableCard and computer based media centers. Just to clarify, it's not Microsoft that is the problem this time.

This may sound like a stupid question..

can you recieve HDTV signals over regular coax cable??

I always thought you have to be a subcriber to digital cable, or satilite TV??

my friend claims he got HD signals from a regular coax cable...

:confused:

So I only see this as being an add-on for the PS3 and not something you need to buy a new PS3 to take advantage?

Generally HD programming is only available to those who receive digital cable or better, simply because the quality of signal they send to your home is better. In terms of in-house cabling, I dont recall them upgrading all your wiring when you upgrade to digital so it must be running off good ol coax.

Its all sent over the normal cable line. If you have a newer TV (one with ATSC and QAM support) you can usually pick up some of the digital signals the cable company sends over the line, but only if they aren't encrypted. The tuner in my TV picks up a bunch of HD stuff from the cable line, all the local stations and about 10 other HD stations, and a bunch of on demand stuff that people somewhere are watching. All this despite me only having basic cable.

There are HD Antennas that use just your plain coax cable.

Breaking up with my GF while living with her is rough. Had to cancel my cable, and for a temp solution I picked up a $15 HD antenna from RadioShack. It uses no batteries, no plugs, just plop it down, and slide the coax cable on, and its picking up all the basic HD channels. I was pretty impressed that a god damn antenna was giving me HD channels (Fox, ABC, kvew) with no monthly subscriptions. :)

I really think what Sony is trying to do is make the Playstation the only piece of equipment you need in your living room beside your TV and speakers. Honestly, they're not doing a bad job.

As gamers, we may not completely like this because it will cost a bit of a premium compared to a stand-alone gaming console, but who doesn't watch DVD's (or Blu-Ray, etc...) and who doesn't love their TiVo/DVR?

If this thing replaces my cable box and dvd player when I get it I would love that as would most consumers.

Where's that photoshop of the PS3 grill? If this thing starts cooking for me I might not ever have to get up :D

Yes, it can be transmitted via coax. With over the air channels it isn't encrypted, but the signal from your cable or satellite provider is.

I guess i'm gonna need to order a bigger hard drive. (I have the 20gb version)

I also heard reports that it will have games by september 09, that sounds pretty cool.

Personally I'm waiting for the update that ups the failure rate to 30% :D

I kid, I Kid

That's cool. I think some time last year Microsoft announced a similar plan for the 360, but I don't know what's going on with it, and how soon it's coming... if it is still in fact in the works.

That's cool. I think some time last year Microsoft announced a similar plan for the 360, but I don't know what's going on with it, and how soon it's coming... if it is still in fact in the works.
Yeah, it's undergoing trials in certain places now.

I currently use my 360 as a Media Center Extender. It works pretty well. The best part is that the same remote that works for media center also works for the 360. It turns it on/off, and when you hit the green "Start" button when the 360 is off, it boots it right into Media Center. I was very surprised how well integrated it was. I hadn't heard that they were going to do more with it. I'll have to check that out.

DVR capability would cinch it for me, and I'd buy one immediately instead of waiting till the end of 2008.

But since Verizon encrypts all but the public channels, there's no point:\ Monopoly powers ftl.:(

I currently use my 360 as a Media Center Extender. It works pretty well. The best part is that the same remote that works for media center also works for the 360. It turns it on/off, and when you hit the green "Start" button when the 360 is off, it boots it right into Media Center. I was very surprised how well integrated it was. I hadn't heard that they were going to do more with it. I'll have to check that out.
The Media Center and IPTV stuff aren't going to be integrated together. Microsoft has an IPTV suite called "Mediaroom" which is supposed to run on STBs - they just ported it to the 360. Mediaroom has some decent features in terms of streaming media support, but I don't know how it'll compare to the onboard stuff or "media center extender mode".

This new announcement by Sony is nice, but as with everything PS3, I'll believe it when I see it.

do you know how to do this? I've wanted to stream music or movies etc. and wasn't sure if it was possible

A lot of my friends don't even know this but yes, there are at least a dozen broadcasted (over the air) HD channels. Certain shows have 1080i and DD 5.1. Don't think there are 1080P shows yet but then again, I have a first gen Sony SXRD TV which didn't take 1080p signals yet.

My friends were confused with channels like 7.1 or 4.2, which are HD channels of their analog counterparts. For instance, channel 9 is analog, channel 9.1 is in 1080i, 9.2 is 720p, channel 9.3 is a whole different show altogether from the same network.

Sweet! If this is true then I will definitely buy PS3. My setup will be:

Media Center - PS3
Gaming - Xbox360

When are they going to stop upgrading the ps3 so that I can finally buy one without having any regrets 2 months later (rumble controllers, bigger hd, now dvr capabilities). I'll take a nice price drop over adding in more stuff.

i still think they will bring a ps3 out with a massive hard drive/ram/dual on digital specs like the vaio media centers

The article that I read for this said this wasn't for the US market and they have no plans for that at this time. Given Sony's penchant for hype and willingness to look far ahead...this doesn't bode well if you are stateside.

So how do you get TV into the PS3? USB? Does USB have enough to handle HD content?

Right now I'm more interested in XBOX Media Center in Linux and running that on the PS3. I want divx and other codecs. XBMC on XBOX 1 can't handle a lot of HD content or cpu intensive codecs.

I do love how Sony promises stuff so far in advance. It's how they killed the dreamcast. :D

Sega Killed the dreamcast by weak marketing and releasing too many consoles at a time and not supported by alot of software..32x, 32x cd, saturn. Not to mention there handheld systems that sucked up battries in a hour or 2.

Back