PS3- When to buy?

MrSneis

2[H]4U
Now that all the launch hype/complaining is pretty much done and over with. When do you guys think is a good time to purchase a PS3?

My "quiet" 360's giving me sporadic problems and I'm considering the switch !

Are there any games for the PS3 you're wanting? I'd say that's a good time to buy. Do you really need backward compatibility? There's a big thread on this as Sony's changing the way they handle backwards compatibility. It doesn't affect North America yet, but it could.
Do you really want/need a Blu-Ray player? If so or if not, do you have Netflix?
Right now there are only a few good games out, but VF5 and Resistance are A+ titles. If Motorstorm lives up to the demo, it should be, too.

Armored Core
FF Series
Devil May Cry
MGS

Those are the major sellers for me.

Well, I guess Armored Core will be out in March according to Wikipedia, but it'll be out for the 360 at the same time...so it's not really an exclusive. Still, if your 360 is breaking, you could always repair or RMA it.
The others likely won't see the light of day for a while.

Flip a coin? If you got the cash, and are like me and missed out on a lot of PS2 titles, it was worth the purchase. I've been playing w/e gets released for PS3, and if and when that content gets boring, back to PS2 games. I enjoy the BR player with my nice HDTV, so if you are like me, I would get it....

No X360 for me right now, waiting on v2, and want it to become more reliable, I don't like iffy hardware :p

My PS3 has had no problems, its quite, and not only do I play games on it... I use it to charge my Moto L7 SLVR (cell phone) :)

ill prolly be getting one in the summer, end of the year for me and there will be a bunch of games:D

One thing about the PS3 that I will say...it doesn't like HDMI for all TV's. Mine randomly stops sending a video image every so often and it won't for 2-3 hours. Components work fine, but HDMI's a weakness. I've tried 2 different PS3's and 3 different HDMI cables, too...yet my DirecTV box works like a million bucks through HDMI and has no issues. I have HDMI 1.3 and a Sony TV, too.
If you hunt around, I'm not alone. There are other people with similar issues. Although no 2 seem to have the identical same program, they're almost all HDMI hook-ups.
Just want to clarify that the PS3 isn't TOTALLY worry free. I've had my 360 since launch with no issues.

One thing about the PS3 that I will say...it doesn't like HDMI for all TV's. Mine randomly stops sending a video image every so often and it won't for 2-3 hours. Components work fine, but HDMI's a weakness. I've tried 2 different PS3's and 3 different HDMI cables, too...yet my DirecTV box works like a million bucks through HDMI and has no issues. I have HDMI 1.3 and a Sony TV, too.
If you hunt around, I'm not alone. There are other people with similar issues. Although no 2 seem to have the identical same program, they're almost all HDMI hook-ups.
Just want to clarify that the PS3 isn't TOTALLY worry free. I've had my 360 since launch with no issues.

I have the 46' Sharp Aquos 1080p (BestBuy does a 30 day return policy which I'm about to return and upgrade to the 52' Sharp Aquos 1080p) and with my HDMI cable I've had no problems. I have left my TV and PS3 on for over 12 hours with no prob-lemos'. My guess... its your TV (if you have swaped out PS3's and Cables, that must mean its your TV by my math :p )

Sure it's the TV. The thing is, it's not just mine.
There are lots of TV's with the same issue. It's the way the PS3 handles HDMI. It doesn't like certain TV models and it's a known issues according to Sony tech support.

I just received a PS3 as a gift, I am loving it, picked up some blu-ray movies and couple games.. thinking about getting another. New releases are coming out somewhat steady, plus I never owned a PS2 and agree now I can play some killer games I never was able to. Okami perhaps?

When to buy? How about when the price of the PS3 falls below my car payment...that's when I'll buy one...

While I'm not a PS3 fan and don't plan on buying one until later in its lifecycle (2009 or so), if you're interested in one and want to buy it for the games, I would hold off until November or so. That's when some of the good exclusives will be released and actually make the system worth purchasing. Right now it's overpriced with one good game and a few decent ones.

Well now that Sony is rumoured to cut the EE chip from the US units in April, you might have to buy now if you want to be able to brag about your leet collectors PS3 in a few years.

I'm tempted to get one, hopefully they will keep the emotion engine active while adding software bc to those titles that support it. That way you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6301

Also said in the post by “DevelopersHeart” is that the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer chip will be removed in North American and Japanese consoles in April, unifying the two territory’s machines with the European spec.

Well now that Sony is rumoured to cut the EE chip from the US units in April, you might have to buy now if you want to be able to brag about your leet collectors PS3 in a few years.

I'm tempted to get one, hopefully they will keep the emotion engine active while adding software bc to those titles that support it. That way you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6301

What you are failing to understand is that running in software will make upscaling games easier. EE+GS will be disabled in current units via firmware anyways. Future firmware updates will include better compatibility with PS2 games.

Thus, not having hardware EE+GS is not going to kill you. It will be disabled later anyways. Phil Harrison mentioned PS3 will upconvert DVDs in future update... about time! :mad:

What you are failing to understand is that running in software will make upscaling games easier. EE+GS will be disabled in current units via firmware anyways. Future firmware updates will include better compatibility with PS2 games.

Thus, not having hardware EE+GS is not going to kill you. It will be disabled later anyways. Phil Harrison mentioned PS3 will upconvert DVDs in future update... about time! :mad:

What you failed to understand was in my post. Software Backwards Compatability for the games that support it for the reasons you mentioned, and hardware as a backup for games that would otherwise not be supported.

Please try and understand, it's not that hard.

Armored Core
FF Series
Devil May Cry
MGS

Those are the major sellers for me.

Wait. My PS3 has maybe a literal millimeter or dust on it. I haven't used it since I bought it back in December. Wait until the end of April at least. Apparantly, there are a lot of great games coming out this month.

Wait. My PS3 has maybe a literal millimeter or dust on it. I haven't used it since I bought it back in December. Wait until the end of April at least. Apparantly, there are a lot of great games coming out this month.

Already had VF5, F1 CE, and Tekken 5 released. Motorstorm next week. Thats 4 solid titles to play right off the bat. Ive been gaming on my PS3 pretty much exclusively for the last 2 weeks. Big update this month. Things are already looking pretty nice for the PS3 after the long lull of anything resembling quality gaming.

If you've got the money, you may as well get one now. There won't be a price drop for a while and there are finally some good exclusive games out and more on the way.

Now that all the launch hype/complaining is pretty much done and over with. When do you guys think is a good time to purchase a PS3?

My "quiet" 360's giving me sporadic problems and I'm considering the switch !

probably on 6/6/09 or so when the new slim version comes out.

yeah its just a marketing gimmick. like consoles that come out in new colors. like you cant paint the console yourself? its not that hard.

If I get a PS3 it won't be until the thing is around 200 bucks cheaper, for the 60 gig model. I also want at least 3 or 4 exclusive games that interest me, but Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy titles do not fall in that category. I suspect the exclusive games will come before the system is 400 bucks, so we'll see. Right now there is absolutely nothing that makes me want to spend that much.

Yup, and as of now I have no problem waiting that long.

Hope you have some games to keep you entertained, because honestly... I don't think the PS3 will ever be $200 retail. Even 4 years down the road, if Sony comes out with a PS4, I'm sure the PS3 will still not drop below $200 (unless used)

Sometimes by holding out for a price drop like that, you miss out on the consoles prime "time". Games that might have MP will probably be a lot more exciting to play when theres tons of people playing it... but if you wait long enough, they might slowly remove MP aspect of same games (like companys are doing to some of the older consoles) or less of a crowd there to keep the MP moving along, rather than becoming stagnent.

Just food for thought..

Back