PS3 to PC Monitor?

Baker

2[H]4U
I know this question has been asked before, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

So I picked up a HDMI to DVI cable in hopes that I could take my PS3 with me to LANs and have it hooked up to my monitor/switch between PC and console.

But no matter what I do I cannot get a picture to show up on my monitor.

I have a 1080p LCD HDTV which when I connect the PS3 via HDMI to HDMI it works just fine showing up in 1080p. I've tried setting the PS3 back to composite, and plugging in my new HDMI to DVI (I know I should only get a picture and no sound), the PS3 says it detects the HDMI and asks for me to test it out. I do so, but nothing on my PC monitor. I've tried to manually set the display to lower res, but still nothing. What am I doing wrong here?

I know the cable works, for I tested my PC out on my HDTV, and games like FarCry look sweet in 1080p.

Of all things my PC Monitor is a Sony Flat Screen... you would think the Sony PS3 would recognize it :)

In order to get the signal, your monitor has to support HDCP. Since its a sony monitor, probably from back in the day, it probably doesn't support it. Basically you're SOL

Did you try hard resetting the ps3 for it to auto detect what cable your using? , its ages since i have done it but im pretty sure you hold the power button down for ages when the system is running.

In order to get the signal, your monitor has to support HDCP. Since its a sony monitor, probably from back in the day, it probably doesn't support it. Basically you're SOL

I think I'm just SOL :(

Haha, oh well.. at least I have an HDMI to DVI for my CPU now :)

Did you try hard resetting the ps3 for it to auto detect what cable your using? , its ages since i have done it but im pretty sure you hold the power button down for ages when the system is running.

Yea, see I take my PS3 over to friends houses a lot, most of them haven't upgraded to HDTV's yet, and I usually forget to take it off HDMI when going over. I've learned the power reset trick like the back of my hand :) This trick is for setting it back to default settings, I'm not sure this trick would be used to "find my monitor". :) Thanks though!

on a side note if you are only doing this to take to your friends house then you wouldn't get any sound unless he has a stereo with optical in available.

Back