PS3 slim to be released on 1st of September?

Does that remote turn on the pc? Not that bad I guess. But onboard Geforce 8200? I doubt games will look as good as the ps3. How much was windows though, and link?

I guess free if you use linux, but linux isn't exactly user friendly at all...plus consider having to put this rig together, install dirvers, etc. All that trouble and you could of just bought a ps3

I have no clue if the remote turns the pc. Google.com might have some more information for you.

Here is the link for the OS.

Who said anything about gaming? You said and I quote:

PS3 is the best media center out.

You said nothing about gaming. And just an example from Wiki.

Typically, complete media centers offer the following functions to the user:

* Integration of all forms of media, entertainment and communication functions including TV-reception (analogue TV, DigitalTV via terrestrial-, cable-, satellite-, IPTV-, webTV-networks), broadband Internet access, radio, IP-telephony, video-telephony, e-mail etc. into one common user friendly GUI (graphical user interface) controlled with a remote control or wireless keyboard by the family members typically in the living room
* Ability to receive digital media files (via direct video signal, computer network or USB)
* Ability to store digital media (usually on a standard computer hard disk drive)
* Ability to play back digital media through standard television or hi-fi equipment
* Simplicity (compared to a computer equipped to accomplish transfer, storage and TV/hi-fi playback)
* Cost savings (compared to a computer equipped to accomplish transfer, storage and TV/hi-fi playback)
* Portability (compared to a computer equipped to accomplish transfer, storage and TV/hi-fi playback)

I hope that future consoles are not going to through as much confusing changes as the PS3 has. I can't keep track anymore. Make a version and stick to it. I don't care if you revamp your construction process to save money, or even release a slimmed down model in a few years, but don't add/remove freatures every 6 months. It's to hard to keep track of what version does what.

With a bit of meddling, I was able to get the price down to £286. What sort of upgrade can you get for £13? :D

Done.

Blu-Ray Drive : BDU-X10S : £51
Video Card : Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4670 Ultimate "Passive" 512MB : £62
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 : £32
Processor : Intel E5200 : £45
Case : Enlight BLACK/SILVER MATX 350W PSU : £36
HDD : Samsung HD080HJ - 80GB HDD : £26
RAM : 512MB Kingston DDR2 : £7
Bluetooth Adapter : Generic : £3
Remote : PS3 Bluetooth Remote : £12
Fan : Akasa AK-181BK-2B Ultra Quiet 80mm : £5

Total: £299

Ignoring the media centre functionality (which with XBMC would far surpass what the PS3 can do), you'd also be looking at a setup which would get more out of multiplatform games than the PS3 can (at 720p). Not to mention the fact that you'd also have a proper remote... which you don't get with the PS3. ;)

No doubt you'll have some spurious reasoning as to why that's not good enough.

[Edit - Oh, and I could have gone much cheaper... but to do that I'd have needed to have skimped on the brands / quality]

- That system won't boot as fast as a ps3
- Optical audio out? Probably have to add a sound card then?
- Does the remote turn the PC on? Probably not. Using a remote through a PC just wouldn't be as convenient and as user friendly.
- It takes a while for XP to boot.
- That system will run slow, especially w/ only 512mb of ram...I don't think media will look as good running from Windows with those specs well. That system will not run as fluid as a ps3 will I would imagine
- That PC won't build and configure itself. With a PS3, open the box, just plug in the HDMI, power chord, and optical out if necessary, and you are done. You think your average person is going to be able to build and set up an HTPC? It's not hard, but it's a chore.

There is a reason why there are millions more PS3 in people's home than there are HTPCs.

I'd rather see links. Here is the link for the ps3 for $399.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-80GB/dp/B001COU9I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1249403447&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lol, you sad, sad man. You just don't get it do you? You came here to make a stupid fanboy argument, and you got your arse handed to you. [H] probably wasn't the best place to say something so uninformed about PCs.

Talk about moving the goalposts. I'm not even going to bother responding properly to all the wrong in your "rebuttal". But suffice to say that you can run a massively cutdown XP, bluetooth can turn on your PC, you can run it hibernated and have it start up in next to no time, that machine has optical out, you could add another 512mb of ram and have it still come in at less than a PS3, and finally if you want to configure a PS3 properly for any sort of reasonable media serving you're going to need a PC anyway because you'll need to run PS3 media server.

Last edited:
I have no clue if the remote turns the pc. Google.com might have some more information for you.

Here is the link for the OS.

Who said anything about gaming? You said and I quote:

You said nothing about gaming. And just an example from Wiki.

Linux is hardly user friendly at all.

I don't think either of you guys really matched the ps3 at all, but you are missing a lot of advantages even if you think you did. Johnny can just go Target and pick up a PS3 for $399 retail. It will take him a few minutes to get him up and running. Plug HDMI in, and power supply cord, and you are done. If you bought all your parts retail it would probably cost upwards of $700 or so.

You guys will also be waiting for parts, paying for shipping, assembling it, installing windows, installing drivers, installing xmb, etc. etc. etc.

PS3 works a lot better with bigger HD monitors as well, which is what I'd expect you'd be using if you build a media center.

PC has advantages too, that's why I have one. But as a media center, ps3 is the best.

I'm assuming you don't run PS3 media server... you know, given otherwise you'd have to include the cost of a PC, waiting for deliveries, configuring windows, configuring settings etc. It's a shame, because without it your PS3 is really limited as a media player. No MKVs, no DVDs over the network, poor codec support, limited format support.

You should really give it a try.

PS3 works a lot better with bigger HD monitors as well, which is what I'd expect you'd be using if you build a media center.)

Strange, I was sure that I have access to a lot more resolution options with my PC than my PS3.

Last edited:
lol, you sad, sad man. You just don't get it do you? You came here to make a stupid fanboy argument, and you got your arse handed to you. [H] probably wasn't the best place to say something so uninformed about PCs.

Talk about moving the goalposts. I'm not even going to bother responding properly to all the wrong in your "rebuttal". But suffice to say that you can run a massively cutdown XP, bluetooth can turn on your PC, you can run it hibernated and have it start up in next to no time, that machine has optical out, you could add another 512mb of ram and have it still come in at less than a PS3, and finally if you want to configure a PS3 properly for any sort of reasonable media serving you're going to need a PC anyway because you'll need to run PS3 media server.

Not really here to convince anyone what's best. I am a fan of ps3, 360, wii, and gaming pcs. I have a 360, a pretty high end PC, and ps3. They all have their uses, drawbacks for certain situations, etc. but PS3 really does surpass an HTPC for price point, ease of usability...and is just simply the better solution for a home theater environment. Video quality is outstanding on big high definition Plasmas as well. Playback from a PC on a plasma will probably have you run into IQ issues, especially when you throw drivers into the mix.

Playback from a PC on a plasma will probably have you run into IQ issues, especially when you throw drivers into the mix.
Yeah, I'm done with you. You really don't have a clue what you're talking about (here's a hint... it doesn't matter what's outputting the signal, as long as it's being output in the right way).

I've never met someone with such a lack of understanding of technology (especially PC technology) argue like they actually knew something.

Yeah, I'm done with you. You really don't have a clue what you're talking about (here's a hint... it doesn't matter what's outputting the signal, as long as it's being output in the right way).

I've never met someone with such a lack of understanding of technology (especially PC technology) argue like they actually knew something.

QFT. A HTPC surpasses the PS3 in usability, plus windows media center is just about the same as the XMB in PS3.

And PS3 do you even know a damn thing about the OS on a PS3? Guess what its based of Linux so please stop being a ignorant arse and end this argument.

Back on topic... apparently it's coming 1st September:

zt6q9k.jpg

If you don't think drivers can determine video IQ issues - You are wrong. I would not recommend running an HTPC on a big plasma screen...perhaps maybe on your little LCD in your office.

If you are seriously going to argue that building an HTPC, configuring Windows, drivers, etc. is a lot more convenient than going to best buy to buy a ps3, opening a box, and connecting two cables...you are wrong.

If you think a pc is more user friendly than ps3, you are really fooling yourself.

I think you've been fooling yourself from the start of this thread though. :p

There is a reason why there are millions more ps3s in people's households than there are HTPCs.

/done with thread. ;)

If you don't think drivers can determine video IQ issues - You are wrong. I would not recommend running an HTPC on a big plasma screen...perhaps maybe on your little LCD in your office.

If you are seriously going to argue that building an HTPC, configuring Windows, drivers, etc. is a lot more convenient than going to best buy to buy a ps3, opening a box, and connecting two cables...you are wrong.

If you think a pc is more user friendly than ps3, you are really fooling yourself.

I think you've been fooling yourself from the start of this thread though. :p

There is a reason why there are millions more ps3s in people's households than there are HTPCs.

/done with thread. ;)

*Silly thread makes my head spin*

PS3, I think you're missing the central point of Psycho's argument. The PS3 is only a competent media server when you use it in conjunction with a PC.

Look, I love both my PS3 and 360 for their streaming capabilities, but both of them require that my PC is running, the network is setup appropriately, all of my relevant transcoding software(s) are in place [to access all codecs], and that any and all necessary ports are open and forwaded for a seamless experience. This takes time - in some cases, quite a bit of time. Don't believe me? Please look up the countless threads across the internet outlining the trouble people are having with the PS3 and media streaming.

Your argument makes it seem as though the PS3 is ready-to-go out of the box, and besides Blu-Ray playback that is false. It's true that, once setup, it's virtually painless...but the same can be said of an HTPC. Here's the difference.

HTPC: Buy / Setup HTPC, connect to network, connect to TV, stream.

PS3: Buy PS3, setup PS3 to stream with PC, connect to network / forward necessary ports, connect to TV, stream.

Which one has more steps?

to be fair i have vast knowledge of pcs etc but i only use my ps3 as a media hub, i whacked a 320gb hard drive in there plus play tv, so no pc needed to playback anything, i just use the pc to rip dvds, i have 130 movies on there 20 gig of music, all my photos, all my recorded tv etc, and i must say its more pleasant to use than a pc hooked up to my hdtv, i love the fluidity of the ps3 and the way you can have short clips as a tag for each movie, the photo playback software is very good, the tv is awesome, Music player is good but a decent search music function would be nice, the remote play on a psp is excellent (and soon on mobile phones) BBC Iplayer works great with no faff. Windows media center/extender is very good but its not my first choice. I only have one box under my main lounge tv for media purposes and thats the ps3. no need for other equipment to be left on idle etc wasting electric. and yes you can get ir remotes for the ps3 if desired. a pc as a dedicated media center......its close but my votes ps3. When i go to bed i stream to my small 26" bedroom tv via the connected psp which connects obviously to the ps3 downstairs. easy stuff..
and yes i do have a VGX-TP3E/B vaio media center in my 2nd lounge which is dam good (it cost me £600 originally but is now around £500) and probably the best media center pc on the market for size and ease of setup/use, and no you dont have any problems with these at all if your not using games on it, the problems arise if you stray from the factory installed drivers and mess around with dodgy games and downloads.

I hope that future consoles are not going to through as much confusing changes as the PS3 has. I can't keep track anymore. Make a version and stick to it. I don't care if you revamp your construction process to save money, or even release a slimmed down model in a few years, but don't add/remove freatures every 6 months. It's to hard to keep track of what version does what.

Its not been every 6 months, and its hardly hard to keep up. The 360 has added things as well.

Its not been every 6 months, and its hardly hard to keep up. The 360 has added things as well.

yeah like newer 360s added hdmi! and some come with or without a hard drive! sound the alarms! people can not keep up.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yeah like newer 360s added hdmi! and some come with or without a hard drive! sound the alarms! people can not keep up.
They have always had a non-HD version and simply adding something is fine. I just don't like taking features away.

Side note...

http://kotaku.com/5329527/sony-ramping-up-ps3-production-forsomething

According to Taiwan's DigiTimes, Sony have recently "placed significant orders for key Sony PS3 components" from local manufacturers, waaaaay above the quantities they normally source. Interesting.

They say it's enough parts to produce one million PS3 consoles in the third quarter of 2009, which is apparently twice as many as were manufactured last quarter.

DigiTimes' sources then specifically mention that alongside those "key components," shipments of time division synchronizers, also used by Sony in the PS3, are waaaayyy up as well.

What does this all mean? Well, either Sony are expecting a significant increase in demand for the currently not-that-in-demand PS3, or...well, they're building an all-new PS3.

I know which of those two scenarios I think is more likely.

lol... that's such a ludicrously stupid article, even by Kotaku's standards.

They say it's enough parts to produce one million PS3 consoles in the third quarter of 2009

No way! Enough parts to manufacture 1 million PS3s in a quarter that saw 4.5m PS3s sold last year and 4.9m PS3s the year before that? Say it aint so! A whole 1 million PS3s?!?

Idiots.

LOL WOW, so your saying an HTPC with the abillity to do 1200p or 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080p is worse in IQ, for your information PS3 games dont even run at 1920x1080p its some weird scaled down 1080p so you can get some AA and AF in. So dont bullshit your way out of this.

I have a PS3, and Ill tell you what find the best looking game on PS3, and you still can't match the IQ of a PC by a long shot.

You have no clue how the PS3 works obviously because it can't run a damn decent looking game at native or full 1080p.

lol... that's such a ludicrously stupid article, even by Kotaku's standards.

No way! Enough parts to manufacture 1 million PS3s in a quarter that saw 4.5m PS3s sold last year and 4.9m PS3s the year before that? Say it aint so! A whole 1 million PS3s?!?

Idiots.

kotaku has been putting out some of the worst gaming articles online in the last few months :(

Idiots.
It may be 1 million additional components.

I can't see why sony wouldnt release a new Ps3, other than the fact this one hasn't sold shit.

Maybe with a new release a price drop will come on the current big guy (it better). If not, then it's absolutely useless and the executives running Sony need a huge kick in the ass. $300 Ps3 is a steal.

It may be 1 million additional components.
Quite likely, but the point is the whole article (and as ocellaris writes, most of them recently) was just lazy and didn't get even the slightest attention to detail / fact checking.

Or now arcades come with a tiny bit of storage.

You'd have to be a moron to not be able to figure out what kind of PS3 you're going to buy. Its not like they are all that different. And the point I was making, was that someone was complaining about different PS3 versions, when there are different 360 version. Its hypocritical, and ignorant. :eek:

In fairness, the PS3 situation was a little more complicated:

venn-diagram.jpg

But yes, both systems have had a few revisions.

I can't see why sony wouldnt release a new Ps3, other than the fact this one hasn't sold shit.

You actually believe that utter shite? Well if you think the reported 24million mark thus far 'isn't selling shit' then I'd hate to know what you thought of DC sales....

So if we look at vgcharts for example (if there is a better site for numbers please let us know them) then the 360 sold 19,844,405 units world wide to the same point the PS3 is now in its life(Nov'05-Aug'08). PS3 to date, according to the same site has sold 23,043,773 units(Nov'06-Aug'09), bearing in mind the price differences and that the 360 had a year of sales with zero competition then I'm thinking your talking out of your arse. Unless of course the 360 didn't sell shit either?

Anything is better than vgchartz. Hell, give a four year old child a computer with excel on it and tell them to bash the numeric keypad with a hammer and you'll get better numbers. If you want an accurate idea of how they're selling / sold over time, look at the sold to retailer numbers. Start at the bottom of this page: http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=8498

(These have all been verified against each company's financial reports)

That's aside from your point, which is still probably right. Just vgc are a joke. :)

odd that the PS3 has sold anywhere near 360 numbers on a matched timeline since release and at a much higher price point

odd that the PS3 has sold anywhere near 360 numbers on a matched timeline since release and at a much higher price point
I don't know why it would be that surprising. The PS3 is the follow up machine to the 140m selling PS2... the 360 is the follow up machine to the 25m selling xbox.

You don't instantly lose that sort of brand awareness or customer loyalty, even if many would rather wait for a price drop. Besides, as many have already stated, when you add on things to the 360 to give it a similar spec to the PS3 (rechargeable controllers, wifi etc) you actually end up with a price very similar to that of the PS3 anyway. ;)

I never met a dead horse I didn't want to beat...

I have owned a 360 and a PS3. I currently have a PS3 and both systems seem the same to me. My PS3 was worth the extra $100 because it had a Blu Ray player and wireless built into it. On the other hand the 360 is worth the price because everybody owns one and the online experience is great. There are plenty of alternatives to paying the extra $90 for the wireless adapter if you need wireless so it is still slightly cheaper.

I would expect their sales numbers to be very similar, but obviously they aren't. I don't think a slimmer PS3 is the answer, they need a cheaper PS3 and I think you would see sales numbers jump a bit.

For what it's worth, I still think that the PS3 will have outsold the 360 by the end of this gen.

For what it's worth, I still think that the PS3 will have outsold the 360 by the end of this gen.

Depending how long each company wants to keep this generation alive...that's certainly possible. I get the impression MS will probably move to their next machine before Sony will. Plus, who can forget how quickly they killed off the first Xbox after the 360 came out.
Over the really long haul, I don't think that's too wild of a claim.

Original xbox was a different story, they couldn't cost reduce it and it cost them billions. They wont be in such a rush to kill the 360 as they're making a profit on it.

I don't think they can catch up now. I think they will be close and the price drop will help the PS3. But I think the lead the xbox360 has is going to be hard to over come. IAt this point it would more of what the xbox360 does to loose then what the PS3 does to win.

Anything is better than vgchartz. Hell, give a four year old child a computer with excel on it and tell them to bash the numeric keypad with a hammer and you'll get better numbers. If you want an accurate idea of how they're selling / sold over time, look at the sold to retailer numbers. Start at the bottom of this page: http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=8498

(These have all been verified against each company's financial reports)

That's aside from your point, which is still probably right. Just vgc are a joke. :)

Ok cheers.

Well looking at that they don't have an August'09, just a June'09. The next update seems like it'll be in September so until then the only direct comparisons can be done to June.

So

Worldwide 360 sales: Nov'05-Jun'08 - 20.3million
Worldwide PS3 sales : Nov'06-Jun'09 - 23.8million

So as these are reliable numbers does anyone wanna say the PS3 is selling like shit again? Nah...didn't think so.....puts things into perspective somewhat doesn't it. It would have been interesting to see the machines released side by side...I'm thinking the 360 wouldn't have done aswell as it has done.

There's two schools of thought on that one. One is what you say there, with the 360 being beaten pretty handily. The other is that the PS3 had so much hype prior to release that it actually damaged the 360 far more than if they'd released simultaneously. There was one point where MS PR actually said that they'd much rather it came out as soon as possible so they could fight the reality of the machine, rather than the myth. I can see their point.

But meh, it's all academic anyway. It happened how it happened and nothing we discuss is going to change that. :)

There's two schools of thought on that one. One is what you say there, with the 360 being beaten pretty handily. The other is that the PS3 had so much hype prior to release that it actually damaged the 360 far more than if they'd released simultaneously. There was one point where MS PR actually said that they'd much rather it came out as soon as possible so they could fight the reality of the machine, rather than the myth. I can see their point.

But meh, it's all academic anyway. It happened how it happened and nothing we discuss is going to change that. :)

Very true :D

It would have been interesting to see the machines released side by side...I'm thinking the 360 wouldn't have done aswell as it has done.

I doubt it would have changed anything. Game libraries play a big factor into the sales of a console.. and the 360 had more bigger/exclusive titles at the start than the PS3.

Anyways here is the most current numbers I could find on the sales:

360 - 30.2 million as of May 29, 2009
PS3 - 23.8 million as of June 30, 2009

The 360 still has like a ~20% lead on sales...

Back