PS3 Setup - no Blue Ray??

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
I am contemplating getting a PS3 but have run into a potential road block. I have an older, 1080i/component based TV that does not have an HDMI input. My current DVD setup sends the component video into an Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver then via another component cable to the TV. However when considering the Blue Ray potential of the PS3 what I've read is a bit paradoxical. Most info states that because HDCP needs HDMI all the way to the TV that this won't work, the Blue Ray side of things at least.

Is this true or is there a way to get Blue Ray function to the TV without compromising too much? A major part of the decision to purchase a PS3 is the Blue Ray aspect so if this can't work then I probably won't be pursuing this route.

You need hdmi and hdcp for 1080p. I had a similar setup for a while, 1080i will be fine on component. In fact, I'm still running through component into my new LCD, and movies are always playing at 1080i w/o any hdmi.

It's a 1080i - 60 inch set. Much as I would love to get a better LCD over it cash prevails and keeps me from replacing it. :(

Anyway...pigwalk, sounds like I'd still be able to hook this up and get full 1080i resolution out of it?

So I could concievable go PS3 >(HDMI)> TX-SR706 >(Component) > TV and still be able to play Blue Ray at 1080 resolutions? Or are you going direct from the PS3 to the TV? On paper the Onkyo unit would convert the 1080 HDMI signal to the 1080 component signal.

He doesn't care abotu 1080i vs 1080p -- he's trying to see if he can even watch Blu Ray through the PS3 without HDMI, which he doesn't have.

I believe the answer is no, you can't. I've heard two things -- you'll get the black screen, and the image will degrade. I'm not sure which is true as I don't have any component cables to even try this.

You should be fine. I have an older 50" Toshiba DLP 1080i in my bedroom and it plays my PS3 blu rays through component just fine. It's not near as good as my 47" 1080p LCD in the living room through HDMI, but it still looks good.

You should be fine. I have an older 50" Toshiba DLP 1080i in my bedroom and it plays my PS3 blu rays through component just fine. It's not near as good as my 47" 1080p LCD in the living room through HDMI, but it still looks good.

So you're getting 1080i resolution to your Toshiba set via the component cable, yes? Sorry to be anal about this. Trying to make sure I'm under no disillusions if I do decide to go this route. You say it looks good but that can be "looks good for 480 or 720".

Anyway...pigwalk, sounds like I'd still be able to hook this up and get full 1080i resolution out of it?

So I could concievable go PS3 >(HDMI)> TX-SR706 >(Component) > TV and still be able to play Blue Ray at 1080 resolutions?

Yep. My setup is PS3 > Component > RT-H340 > Component > TV and all my Blurays play at 1080i.

Ok a bit of an error on my part. The receiver will not convert the signal from HDMI to component at all. So I would need to go component from the PS3 to the TV or receiver and optical from the PS3 to the receiver.

Yep. My setup is PS3 > Component > RT-H340 > Component > TV and all my Blurays play at 1080i.

Sweet! Thanks. May I ask what cables you're using? The Sony stuff or 3rd party cables from the PS3 to the reciever?

I'm using the same component cables I used for my ps2 :p

It's not picky about component cables at all.

Using optical for audio too.

I'm using the same component cables I used for my ps2 :p

It's not picky about component cables at all.

Using optical for audio too.

yeah, ive used shitty rca cables in lieu of missing components w/o issue.

So you're getting 1080i resolution to your Toshiba set via the component cable, yes? Sorry to be anal about this. Trying to make sure I'm under no disillusions if I do decide to go this route. You say it looks good but that can be "looks good for 480 or 720".

You set the resolution in the PS3 to show it at 1080i; at least I have to hold the power button every time I move it to the 1080i TV, and then bump it back up to 1080p when I move it to the other. There is a setting in the disc itself though that says whether it will show in full 1080i. It's called ICT, or something like that. It works around HDCP when you go through component and don't get full 1080p.

Edit-
I found this for you if it helps...
Will Blu-ray down-convert analog outputs?

No, Blu-ray players will not down-convert the analog output signal unless the video contains something called an Image Constraint Token (ICT). This feature is not part of the Blu-ray Disc spec, but of the AACS copy-protection system also adopted by HD-DVD. In the end it will be up to each movie studio to decide if they want to use this "feature" on their releases or not. The good news is that Sony, Disney, Fox, Paramount, MGM and Universal have already stated that they have no intention of using this feature. The other studios, which have yet to announce their plans, will most likely follow suit to avoid getting bad publicity. If any of the studios still decide to use ICT they will have to state this on the cover of their movies, so you should have no problem avoiding these titles.

Last edited:
best buy has some good HDTV's on sale, you could buy a 40 inch one for under $900

check their website

but don't just look there, shop around

HDTV's aren't as expensive as they used to be

NOTE:

The PS3 will only upscale PS2 games and DVDs when using HDMI. So in this case, you'll have to depend on your reciever or TV for upscaling. Which really is fine, the PS3 is a solid upscaler, but most decent recievers and good TVs are about as good.

Back