PS3 region free??

defiant007

2[H]4U
Hi there,

currently running around Orchard Rd in Singapore and have noticed that the PS3 is significantly cheaper here.

The problem is that I am getting conflicting stories as to whether the console is region locked.

A sales rep at a Sony store told me that I would have no problems playing games from any region but that the console would not play blu-ray movies in Australia (where I am from).

A sales rep at a different store told me that the only thing which is region locked is the playback on ordinary dvds and I would have no problems running Australian blu ray disks.

Could someone please shed some light on this issue for me as I am only here for a couple more days?

p.s. I have foregone looking at xbox360's because I thought that they would not be able to run games bought in Australia - am i correct in this belief?

Thanks for any advice, will be checking for responses tomorrow! :D

So does anyone have a hack or somesort of code to make a PS3 Reagion Free BD/DVD palyer?

Some info about the PS3, movies and region locks from wikipedia:

The PlayStation 3 is region-free for PS3 games. There's only region locking for backwards compatible PS2 and PS1 games, as well as DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies. Additionally, some games separate online players per region, such as Metal Gear Solid 4 Online. A PSN store only contains content for its own country, for example the UK store will not supply usable map packs for an imported US copy of Call of Duty 4. The PS3 actually supports hardware region locking for PS3 games as well, based on Blu-ray Disc regions, but as of current it is unused and all current region lockouts and separations are about online services. The PS3 also restricts the access to PlayStation Network by region, such as the online store, news and upcoming releases.

As with the implementation of region codes for DVDs, Blu-ray Disc players sold in a specific geographical region are designed to play only discs authorized by the content provider for that region. This is intended to permit content providers (motion picture studios, etc.) the ability to support product differences in content, price, release date, etc., by region. According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, "all Blu-ray Disc players...(and) Blu-ray Disc-equipped computer systems are required to support regional coding." However, "Use of region playback codes is optional for content providers..." Some current estimates suggest 70% of available [movie] Blu-ray Discs from the major studios are region-code-free and can therefore be played on any Blu-ray Disc player, in any region.

Movie studios have different region coding policies. Among major U.S. studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios have released all of their titles region-free. Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. have released most of their titles region-free. Lionsgate and Walt Disney Pictures have released a mix of region-free and region-coded titles. 20th Century Fox and MGM have released most of their titles region-coded.

So it seems that the consoles are at least assigned to regions (so the belief that they are region-free is false), and it's the movies and software that are region-free/locked. Most gaming companies leave their games region-free on both consoles, although there are exceptions and there are also limited region-locks to some games such as confining multiplayer connectivity to specific regions (Army of Two did this, not that it matters now since EA has since terminated the game's online functionality altogether).

You'll have to check each movie individually to know if it is region-locked or not.

Last edited:
Thank you for information
I understand that but I have two Reagion B Blue Ray films
that I cannot play on PS3 I am sure there some kind of sort of code/hack to enter for it to unlock this.
or are you really sure that PS3 is not the issue but only the source BD disk?

Thank you for information
I understand that but I have two Reagion B Blue Ray films
that I cannot play on PS3 I am sure there some kind of sort of code/hack to enter for it to unlock this.
or are you really sure that PS3 is not the issue but only the source BD disk?

For region-locked discs, the region for both the disc and the console need to match.

Region-free discs will play on any PS3 console.

List of region-free blu-ray movies here.

I don't know if there are any working hacks, but using any of them will breach your EULA with Sony in a thousand different ways and they'll probably call in the Gestapo or some shit like they did last year.

The games should be region free...But the movies are region locked, I believe.

Half right.

Wrong. You'll find most are actually region free.

For region-locked discs, the region for both the disc and the console need to match.

Region-free discs will play on any PS3 console.

List of region-free blu-ray movies here.

Not sure how upto date this list is (looks pretty upto date to me) but it's good for a quick glance to see which are or not:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Back