PS3 questions regarding movie player/streaming etc..

sc3252

Gawd
I am wondering how the PS3 fairs when streaming Netflix movies and plan on keeping it on all the time just for this purpose. I will have the PS3 in my room, I plan to use it as a Roku replacement since mine recently broke and I am weary of purchasing another since it broke 2 months after the warranty expired. I don't really plan to play games(maybe a few) on it, mostly only blu-ray(2nd reason for planned purchase) and Netflix. So I guess what my question is this a good idea or does it use to much power and too noisy(roku was 100% silent). Also I read that standby is 1W or less, will it go into this automatically or will I have to manually go and click a button? Any opinions on doing this would be very helpful on the matter, I will probably buy it in the next couple of days.

Thanks

PS: I did look at blu-ray players, but they were just too close in price if they had netflix streaming(within $100 or so), and I question there commitment in keeping their players up to date. Of course if someone has one of those players I would be open to changing my mind.

I tried netflix on my PS3 and it was fine. thing that sucks is you need to put movies into your instant queue as it only display that.

Honestly, the Wii can stream netflix perfectly fine, the PS3 can to.

I dont find my PS3 noisy at all, can barely tell its on. I have one of the original 60gb PS3s so I have no idea how the newer ones sound.

You keep the PS3 in standby and just push the PS button on the controller to wake it up. since the controller is wireless it makes it even better.

Oh, also. For netflix on PS3 you have a disc you need to insert in order to use it. So you'll have to swap the netflix disc in and out when you want to do other stuff.

One of my friends recently purchased an LG that has the Netflix streaming. Router was in the room, so we just ran it through ethernet. Picture quality was great. I don't like leaving the PS3 on for extended periods of times. The advantage of the PS3 over a normal blu ray player (aside from gaming) is that it can stream media content from a pc in the house to it as well.

Thanks that answers most of my questions, I do have one more. Say I go to sleep while watching a movie will it go to standby after the movie is over, or do I have to press a button?

The advantage of the PS3 over a normal blu ray player (aside from gaming) is that it can stream media content from a pc
Yeah thats another reason I want it. Only reason I didn't want an Xbox was xbox live gold was required, noise(my brother has one) and blu-ray.

I dont think it will go to sleep without input from you. I am pretty sure I've left mine on over night by accident.

Wrong....

I tried netflix on my PS3 and it was fine. thing that sucks is you need to put movies into your instant queue as it only display that.

I dont find my PS3 noisy at all, can barely tell its on. I have one of the original 60gb PS3s so I have no idea how the newer ones sound.

You keep the PS3 in standby and just push the PS button on the controller to wake it up. since the controller is wireless it makes it even better.

Oh, also. For netflix on PS3 you have a disc you need to insert in order to use it. So you'll have to swap the netflix disc in and out when you want to do other stuff.

When you get into the Netflix screne, just scroll up and you can choose other catagories other than Instant Queue. So theres more options than JUST your queue.

Thanks that answers most of my questions, I do have one more. Say I go to sleep while watching a movie will it go to standby after the movie is over, or do I have to press a button?

While I have never used the feature, there is an option where you can have the PS3 automatically power off when it is inactive (starting from 1 hr of inactivity). I believe there is an option to power off regardless if a movie is playing or not.

Here is a site I just search which show how to enable the feature with pictures:
http://hubpages.com/hub/PlayStation-3-Auto-Shut-Off

While I have never used the feature, there is an option where you can have the PS3 automatically power off when it is inactive (starting from 1 hr of inactivity). I believe there is an option to power off regardless if a movie is playing or not.

Here is a site I just search which show how to enable the feature with pictures:
http://hubpages.com/hub/PlayStation-3-Auto-Shut-Off
Thanks a ton, that was all that was holding me back. :)

You're wrong about it only displaying your Instant Queue. You can browse other tabs, maybe your shits broken. Or maybe I got a special disc from Netflix. Either way, you have other tabs to browse through like New Releases Movies, New Releases Televsision, Comedy, Etc.

My only gripe with it is that I need to have the disc in the drive and not to mention the selection of movies is garbage. Works fine though.

As others have said, it displays more than just your instant queue, but there is no means to type in a movie name and see if its available. You can use the PS3's browser to go to the netflix site and manage your queue.

I find the noise from my 60gb PS3 to be barely acceptable. That is to say I normally don't notice it but it sometimes distracts me during quiet movies. The newer models are supposed to be quieter than the release models.

My wife uses a Samsung BDP3600 in the living room for most of what I get from my PS3 in my Den. It's not quite as format friendly as the PS3 when streaming from PC, and I like the interface of the PS3 better for navigating to what I want to watch, but for Netflix and such, it competes handily, and she uses it's watch now feature alllllll the time.

The BDP is silent as well, at any rate you can't hear it over the movie.

The PS3 is superior, don't get me wrong, but if you could find a used Netflix streaming bluray player for $100 as an open box unit, it would be an excellent deal, and nothing to have any qualms about.

Back