PS3 Price Cuts?

Molingrad

Gawd
I've heard alot lately about PS3 price cuts this year. Does anybody know when or if they will actually happen? Looking to get that Bluray player as it seems it is the format of choice.

Maybe it will end up going out like the dreamcast and drop to 99 bucks. That would be cool. The dreamcast was awesome and getting it at 99 dolllars was awesome.

$399 for the 60gb version would be nice, but I highly doubt Sony would slash $200 off the price.

i willing to be that the price will drop significantly by the end of the year, probably for the holiday rush. Sony has already said that they are gonna drop the price, but they don't yet know by how much. This was on the blog i think.

Michael Pachter's (Gaming industry analyst for Wedbush Morgan securities) guess is that it'll be a $100 price cut announced at E3. But it's just a guess, and he's also guessing that a $200 price cut would be what the PS3 needs to really gain serious momentum in 2008.

And his guess is like everybody else's guess. It's just a guess. No official statement, so a guess is as much as you can hope to get right now.

Michael Pachter's (Gaming industry analyst for Wedbush Morgan securities) guess is that it'll be a $100 price cut announced at E3. But it's just a guess, and he's also guessing that a $200 price cut would be what the PS3 needs to really gain serious momentum in 2008.

And his guess is like everybody else's guess. It's just a guess. No official statement, so a guess is as much as you can hope to get right now.

Michael Pachter, what a guy.
On console-moving exclusives to keep an eye on this year: I think Gran Turismo 4 will move a lot of PS3s, but don't really see a lot of other games that will move the needle this year for hardware sales.
Source: http://kotaku.com/gaming/analysts/exclusives-they-still-matter-243675.php

If only Gran Turismo 4 hadn't been released in 2005...

That said, I'd say expect a bundle before a price drop. We've seen it in Japan and Europe, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one heading to the US this year.

The price will be dropped to $299.97 at 4PM on Wednesday, August 15th, 2007. Due to overwhelming demand I recommend you go get in line NOW.

I've beens saying that for months now. Hey Wedbush Morgon, hire me!

Actually, to be fair, an analyst's guess, while remaining conjecture, to be sure, is generally a more *educated* guess than the average consumer can make. Not saying it's like a prophesy, obviously that's far from being the case, but it does and should carry a little more weight than the words of a shmuck on the corner.

Sony needs it at 400$ to be competitive. I know i'd get a Ps3 at 400$ rather than a 360 at the same price, but the only problem with this is that if Sony has a price cut, MS will probably cut theirs.

So if Sony cuts it down to 500, then 360 will probably go to 200/300/380 respectively. Sony doing a huge cut to 400, well Microsoft might not want to cut their systems that much, and for the consumer you would get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck out of the 400$ Ps3.

I honestly think that's the only thing they can do, because MS will also cut the price. Nintendo will not have to worry because their unit is not only cheap, but still selling insanely that they will have plenty of time before having to offer any cuts. Not to mention the games coming out for Wii that will actually be exclusive must-have titles. I bet the DS and Wii will both take price cuts at the same time.

Sony really needs to take the even more billions of dollars lost and push their unit at 400$ to at least get it out there this christmas. If not, and they do only move it to 500 with the 360 offering a better cut, we will see more 360s moving compared to Ps3. As for the Wii, it will still be the number 1 seller this christmas regardless, and i bet you'll have an easier time finding the other 2 consoles.

Sony will not cut the price to $400 you people are nuts.

Whether or not you want it, with the technology in that system it would be crazy to sell it at the same price as a X360 with hardware which is not nearly as unique. That speaks nothing of how the systems perform, just the production costs of the pieces inside is far different.
That and the X360 was obviously not built well seeing as they are breaking all over the place...MS probably saved some cash there too:p Sonys saving grace would be a HUGE recall by Microsoft to fix their shatty cooling system or motherboard failsures or whatever the hell it is and for petes sake fix it so that it doesn't sound like a freakin tornado in my living room.:eek:

Anyways, I am willing to bet a $100 price cut is coming before the holidays or right around the holidays. There will def be one this year though...you can count on that.

if they were both 400 bucks most people (if you could exclude the ability to play blue-ray)
would still pick the 360 I bet. Somebody make a poll.

The 360's got

Better games - both titles and graphics (gamespot's compares constantly - 360 always edges out)

Better online - despite the fact you have to pay for multiplayer you can't dodge the fact that the service is top tier

Better controllers - the 360 controller many say is the best console controller of all time\

Better suppor - hardware issues yes, but MS listens to their customers and is just downright the smarter more aggressive company when it comes to implementing things for gamers. PS3 was quoted early on as beliving online support wasn't necessary or important to gamers, yet Xbox live is HUGE, If I didn't have live on my 360 and couldn't play with my friends, I would have 1/3 of the interest in the 360 that I have now.

In my opinion if the PS3 is cut to $500 dollars ($400 isn't even a possibilty by this holliday) then the only reason it will sell better at the $500 dollar price point is because people will still be looking for the cheapest way to get into blueray. Already if you go to circuit city or best buy and ask about blue-ray players they all just automatically refer you to the PS3, because it's the same price as a standalone and has the gaming function. Supposedly the quality on the PS3 blue ray is one of the best in output terms as well. The inclusion of the blue-ray player on the Sony units has been both a savior and downfall of the console to Sony. This still doesn't mean that MS would lower the price on the 360, because even at $500 bucks I bet more 360s by 2x's over would still be flying out the door at their normal $400 dollar price point.

if they were both 400 bucks most people (if you could exclude the ability to play blue-ray)

The 360's got

Better games - both titles and graphics (gamespot's compares constantly - 360 always edges out)

Better online - despite the fact you have to pay for multiplayer you can't dodge the fact that the service is top tier

Better controllers - the 360 controller many say is the best console controller of all time\

Better suppor - hardware issues yes, but MS listens to their customers and is just downright the smarter more aggressive company when it comes to implementing things for gamers. PS3 was quoted early on as beliving online support wasn't necessary or important to gamers, yet Xbox live is HUGE, If I didn't have live on my 360 and couldn't play with my friends, I would have 1/3 of the interest in the 360 that I have now.

In my opinion if the PS3 is cut to $500 dollars ($400 isn't even a possibilty by this holliday) then the only reason it will sell better at the $500 dollar price point is because people will still be looking for the cheapest way to get into blueray. Already if you go to circuit city or best buy and ask about blue-ray players they all just automatically refer you to the PS3, because it's the same price as a standalone and has the gaming function. Supposedly the quality on the PS3 blue ray is one of the best in output terms as well. The inclusion of the blue-ray player on the Sony units has been both a savior and downfall of the console to Sony. This still doesn't mean that MS would lower the price on the 360, because even at $500 bucks I bet more 360s by 2x's over would still be flying out the door at their normal $400 dollar price point.
blabla.gif
...only afford one system and yip online making you feel better about your purchase? save the text, its so overdone and your points are subjective. buy them all. nuff said!

It seems like Sony wouldn't want to lower the price of the PS3 until there were plenty of "must have" games in stores to make up for the monetary loss they take on each PS3. Of course they may factor in Blu-ray movie sales somehow also.

The 360's got

I own a 360. I love my 360. Hell, read my pasts posts. I'm almost a fanboy. However, you can't compare the 360 to the PS3 sans bluray. It's part of the system. That being said, if they were the same price HANDS DOWN I'd jump on the PS3. Bluray alone with a couple decent games would make me do it over the 360. It'll catch up in titles.

However... the whole premise here is weak. There won't be that kind of price cut, and that's why the PS3 still sits on shelves. People are willing to wait till it gets to a price they deem fair.

... Sony has already said that they are gonna drop the price, but they don't yet know by how much. This was on the blog i think.

well that's just like saying nintendo and MS will drop the price on their consoles.. we don't know when or by how much.. but they will ... lol...

By the time Sony drops the price of the PS3 you'll be able to get a 360 Premium for $199.

I have a friend that works for Sony, thats all I will say. Of course this is planned right now but they always could change their minds.

Don a flame retardant suit, my friend.

You've joined the ranks of the crazy people who wander into EB claiming their insider buddy has given them the super secret plans of the new Nintendo-Sony-Microsoft super-console with 5 Cell processors, Wii remotes and Xbox Live support, who crave that special feeling of secret power.

Not that I'm having a go at you... you *might* be telling the truth. It's just that I don't think anyone will believe you.

Don a flame retardant suit, my friend.

You've joined the ranks of the crazy people who wander into EB claiming their insider buddy has given them the super secret plans of the new Nintendo-Sony-Microsoft super-console with 5 Cell processors, Wii remotes and Xbox Live support, who crave that special feeling of secret power.

Not that I'm having a go at you... you *might* be telling the truth. It's just that I don't think anyone will believe you.
I don't expect anyone to believe me. Heck if I saw someone else post that without links I wouldn't believe them either. I am just stating what I know.

Back