PS3 Pre-Order in the UK, over $1000 USD

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
Check this out:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/STCS1/3-/1032615/Sony_Playstation_3_PS3_Console_With_60GB_HDD_3_Games/Product.html

At the price of 550 British Pounds, thats currently $1,018.91 US dollars. And for that you get the premium console and 3 games. Even if you assume 13% VAT included in the price, it still comes out to $600 for the PS3, and $100 each for the games. Oh, and I love the "Engrish" description of the new controller:

"The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world's most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network."

well things are always more expensive in the UK... a burger that costs $3.99 in the US costs 3.99 pounds sterling over in great britain. it doesn't seem all that unreasonable

i do love the descriptions though

Yeah, we get royally screwed over here for pretty much everything!

You should see how much we pay for fuel compared to other people, especially America. :p

Psychotext said:
Yeah, we get royally screwed over here for pretty much everything!

You should see how much we pay for fuel compared to other people, especially America. :p

Hey, if the totally corrupt oil industry owned your government, your prices would be lower too.

And to keep this post on-topic...

I'm really interested to see how this will play out. Part of me thinks that Sony is shooting themselves in the foot, but at the same time I think people will buy it, just not as many.

Give me some games that I want, and I'll buy it. Its good games that compells me to buy things more than anything else. Thankfully, I'm not in the UK - they're getting screwed with PS3 pricing :D

Like hell is the PS3 gonna sell in the UK at that price!!

Sony need to be shot down for all their underhand tactics they have been doing, I thought the US-courts would of done something but it seems Sony can screw themselves up all by themselves

eeyrjmr said:
Like hell is the PS3 gonna sell in the UK at that price!

But it does come with three games I think. Not that I'm defending the price. lol

Psychotext said:
But it does come with three games I think. Not that I'm defending the price. lol

Yer it is a bit hard to defend that price.
Doesn't really matter abt three games, wasn't there only 3games at launch anyway

those ppl that will buy the PS3 outside of the UK are going to buy a game or two with it anyway, whats the point of a game console without a game...

i hate bundles. They are always a rip off. Unless you get to choose the games yourselves. Problem is, is that that is extremely rare. You usually have to put up with at least half the games you have to buy being complete cack.

Trouble is, you can pretty much bet that sony will force us to buy bundles once the PS3 is released. Happened with the PSP, so you can bet it'll happen with the PS3.

If i change my mind and decide to buy one, i'll get an import from japan or hongkong. Will save a bundle :D that way

eeyrjmr said:
Like hell is the PS3 gonna sell in the UK at that price!!

Sony need to be shot down for all their underhand tactics they have been doing, I thought the US-courts would of done something but it seems Sony can screw themselves up all by themselves

Curious as to what you think they've done underhanded?

rfwinters77 said:

DRM onto audio-CD's that resulted in computer not working proporly
DRM on audio-CD's that opened access for exploit

and the main underhanded part

putting DRM onto audio-CD (which breaks the Audio-CD spec) to protect their IP, BUT to do that they actually took and used the code from the LAME open-source project and have still refused to provide the source-code to what they used in accordance with the GPL

rfwinters77 said:

1)Stole Nintendo's idea for a motion controller at the last minute.
2)Claimed they would never have a centrilized online system, wait Microsoft is making money, we will definatly have a centrilized online system.

BTW, I realize all companies do this. Just pointing out the facts.

Skirrow said:
i hate bundles. They are always a rip off. Unless you get to choose the games yourselves. Problem is, is that that is extremely rare. You usually have to put up with at least half the games you have to buy being complete cack.

Trouble is, you can pretty much bet that sony will force us to buy bundles once the PS3 is released. Happened with the PSP, so you can bet it'll happen with the PS3.

If i change my mind and decide to buy one, i'll get an import from japan or hongkong. Will save a bundle :D that way
Sony don't make bundles... retailers do.

Wow, a $100 for a game is ridiculous. There's no way that can be right unless Blu-Ray media is just that expensive. I thought $60 for a Xbox 360 game was kind of bad, but if this is true, makes me glad I bought my 360.

The resident Microsoft employee making assumptions about Sony's UK product launch? I never would've thought!

We've established that the UK price for the PS3 = 425 pounds. That's about $790 USD. More accurately, that's around $70 per game, and that includes the VAT. All in all, the prices of the games are almost the same as X360 releases, it's the console that's inflated (like so much else is) in the UK!

Must suck to live in the UK, everythings expensive, it rains all the time, the foods garbage, and the beer's horrible.

Naldo said:
Must suck to live in the UK, everythings expensive, it rains all the time, the foods garbage, and the beer's horrible.
thats just london

Slartibartfast said:
Hey, if the totally corrupt oil industry owned your government, your prices would be lower too.

And to keep this post on-topic...

I'm really interested to see how this will play out. Part of me thinks that Sony is shooting themselves in the foot, but at the same time I think people will buy it, just not as many.

I don't see how it is as corrupt as everyone is claiming, but we also don't have a "fuck the consumer" tax on our gasoline like the European blokes do. For some reason, those governments in Europe just love to tax everything to fund their so called utopian welfare state.

junehhan said:
...those governments in Europe just love to tax everything to fund their so called utopian welfare state.

Varies quite a lot. There are European countries which pay the same amount for fuel as Americans do. It all tends to balance out though. We pay more for X, you pay more for Y etc.

junehhan said:
I don't see how it is as corrupt as everyone is claiming, but we also don't have a "fuck the consumer" tax on our gasoline like the European blokes do. For some reason, those governments in Europe just love to tax everything to fund their so called utopian welfare state.

Not been to Europe then have you :rolleyes: well done on confirming the view's that Europeans have of Americans is correct GO USA!!!

The US-Govn has a military arsenal in excess of a trillion dollars, where do you think they get the funding for that from? oh I don't know taxes on I don't know the US-ppl

As stated we pay more for some things but less for others. How much do your medical drugs cost? Mine cost £6 and that is for a drug that could cost over £1000
I do believe IF a yank needed such a drug it would come out of their health insurance AND then their next year premium would go up

bazylik said:
Sony don't make bundles... retailers do.

Actually in the UK, Sony told retailers they CAN NOT sell the PSP on its own and HAVE to bundle it with games or they wouldn't receive more stock. The same will happen with the PS3 too.

Skirrow said:
Actually in the UK, Sony told retailers they CAN NOT sell the PSP on its own and HAVE to bundle it with games or they wouldn't receive more stock. The same will happen with the PS3 too.

They pulled that shit with the PS2 as well. They also threatened retailers and told them to take down their Dreamcast kiosks.

K600 said:
They pulled that shit with the PS2 as well. They also threatened retailers and told them to take down their Dreamcast kiosks.

Q.F.E Quoted for emphasis (sp?)

Sony's bully tactics can go pound the sand.

JethroXP said:
Check this out:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/STCS1/3-/1032615/Sony_Playstation_3_PS3_Console_With_60GB_HDD_3_Games/Product.html

At the price of 550 British Pounds, thats currently $1,018.91 US dollars. And for that you get the premium console and 3 games. Even if you assume 13% VAT included in the price, it still comes out to $600 for the PS3, and $100 each for the games. Oh, and I love the "Engrish" description of the new controller:

"The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world's most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network."

didnt read the article yet, but the question is are the preorders filling up at the outrageous price?

Let's keep it on topic. This isn't the place to talk governmet policy. If you wanna do that, then get a Genmay sub.

ONe thing I will say abt PLAY is they are very good at dropping their pre-order prices.

I pre-order from them alot (in fact I have the next StarWar lego on pre-order - due Sept) and every single one of the things I have ordered has come down.

I am not saying this will happen in this case not in the slightest, I am just defending Play

What I don't defend is Sony!!! they will be the ones forcing this price. The thing is they know die-hard fans will snap them up just look at what heppened in the UK at the PS2 launch we got hardly any and they all went then within a day

Sony does not care abt their customers in this case they are after a quick buck. They know they will sell and they will get £++ becuase of it

mark my word when hte main shipment arrives in the UK something like 3months after launch the price will come down to be competative with the Xbox360 (still more but they will argue it does more)

Back