PS3 & PC Set-Up Using Same Monitor: Need Advice

vilhiem

Weaksauce
I am not sure where to place this question, but here it goes:

I want to buy a PS3 and run it like a second computer (but exclusively for gaming).
Now, what is the best way to operate both my PC and my PS3 on the same Dell 27" Flat Monitor? Is there some kind of A_B switch I could use?

Also, what about the speakers? Is there also an A-B switch for them too?

I can't imagine I am the only one who wants to do this (or perhaps I am) ... but I gotta imagine there is a simple way of doing this that I do not know about.

Thanks in advance!!!

Please provide more info on the monitor you have.

I have a Gateway 2400 hooked up with my PC thru DVI and PS3 thru HDMI to the monitor.
Used to hook them up with a Dell 2405, DVI to PC and RGB to PS3.

If your monitor has multiple input that would be easy. Just switch between inputs on the monitor.

if not, then yea u'll need a AB switch or some sort with DVI and then DVI to HDMI cable to the PS3.

I have a Dell 2707.

It looks like it has multiple inputs.
Can't tell though if it has HDMI.
The manual says: DVI, VGA, S-video, and component video.

vilhiem u r not the only one who actually wants or already have done that ( i did it b4 until i give both my computer and monitor to my gf, which means i only have the PS3 left with no display lol but new computer and monitor coming in soon! )
anywayz if u want to connect both ur PC and ur PS3 to 1 monitor it really easy to do it nowadays since most monitor has multiple inputs
for exmaple ur monitor, i would recommend using VGA to connect ur PC and DVI to connect ur PS3
and i believe there should be a button call "source" or whatever it is that allow to u switch between analog or digital ( VGA or DVI )

and for audio i dunno what kind of speakers u r using so i cant really tell u what can u do
but if u happen to have a speaker set that has both analog and digital input then u can use analog to ur PC and digital to PS3, or if u dont have a speaker set which has 2 input u can either use a switcher or a receiver to switch around the sound sources

please excuse my poor explaining... i m not a pro or anything just another user on the forum to share my experience... hope this will help u or someone who is better can explain it to u soon!

Cheers

KeymaN

Thanks for the ideas guys ...!

It sound like (to summarize) that I should do the following:

(1) For Connecting to my monitor: Use an HDMI splitter
(2) For connecting to my speakers: no real easy answer there, but if I purchase new speakers that have two input sources (one for digital and one for analog) I could connect the PC to analog and the PS3 to the digital.

well here is another suggestion ( which i think it save a little more money and a little less setting(?) )
personally i dont think u really need to use HDMI becuz HDMI is basically a smaller verison of DVI with audio signals...
and since u r planning to get a new set of speakers that has two input sources which means HDMI is really not needed becuz first u will use another outputs for ur audio source and ur monitor probably dont have any speakers ( or even if u have speakers on the monitor i believe u would want to use a actual speakers set instead )
so y bother buying a HDMI splitter when u dont really need it and u probably need to buy 2 HDMI cables??? a DVI to HDMI cable is all u need for the PS3 and u probably have some VGA cables lying around in the house ( one DVI to HDMI cable vs HDMI splitter + 2 HDMI cable - $ vs $$$ )
and i believe u would be as happy using VGA for ur PC as u use DVI for ur PC

for speakers my only personally suggestion is to get something like the Logitech Z-5500 ( it might not be the best and the cheapest, but personally i think it is a very good speakers set ) but u will get both analog and digital input and you will also have a 5.1 speakers set aka u will have a surround sound! and i believe the price of Z-5500 is lowered a lot now and it is better/cheaper than the older version that i have =P

but of coz this is only MY suggestion/opinion/what i did... u dont have to follow them ;)

Cheers

KeymaN

But will VGA from my PC to my Dell2707 give me the same quality (for example, 1920x1200) ???

i dont see y it will not give u 1920x1200 unless ur video card doesnt support that rez
and the eziest way is to test it urself if u think there will be a difference but highly doubt there is lol =P

Sorry, but as I do not own a ps3 I am unsure of what cables the PS3 uses.
However, I have a $60 box that switches easily between my computer and wii or xbox 360

Set-up
Dual-Screen: Hp A7217A and a Sony that is the same model but more expensive
Neoya X2VGA

The Neoya box makes it simple. You hook your computer's vga cable up to the box and it has 2 places for you to insert HD cables (the red, blue, green) on the box and you can switch between them, say if you wanted a simple switch between an xbox 360 and a Wii. I also have a cable I think made by mad catz or whatever that has the HD inputs on one end and a input for an xbox 360, Wii, and PS3/PS2.

So anyways... When the box is off, its the normal computer. When you turn the box on it switches to the HD input such as the Wii. You can also switch between Source 1 or Source 2 if you have 2 systems plugged into the different ports. It is highly convenient. Sound I have an RCA cable that has one of those like male to male converters in between it (Don't know if you would call it a converter). Anyways that hooks up my sound (Red/White) up to a receiver which I have connected to 2 large speakers.
When I turn it on my HP A7217A is easily switched to my xbox/Wii in 2 seconds :D

Anyways, if you choose this option, which I would reccomend if you got the money to spend, you will find it very easy to play your gaming systems on a crt or lcd monitor.
Price: $60+shipping (I think about $70 total?)
http://www.x2vga.com/
This is about the same/cheaper than a hdmi switch and I really love it since it supports 720p and 1080p. Won't support my dreamcast but eh :p

Requirements
Two VGA cables or such cables, DVI to VGA? One will run from your computer to the Neoya box, than another will run from the Neoya box to the monitor
Optional DVI to VGA Adapters

Sorry, I edit my posts a lot after making them to add in links and such :p

I have a similar question, how does sound work?

Seems like most people recommend running the ps3 audio into the pc soundcard from some digging on that subject I've been doing. That is ofc assuming that you only want to use one set of speakers for both.

This is really easy to do, and here's how:

Plug both an HDMI (or HDMI to DVI) cable and the normal Composite/RCA Audio connection into the back of the PS3
Connect either the HDMI or the HDMI to DVI cable from the PS3 to an HDCP capable monitor
Set PS3 video output to HDMI
Set PS3 audio output othe SCART (whatever the hell it is) analog cables
Attach an RCA to mini-stereo splitter to the Right/Left RCA analog cables
Attach Male to Male 1/8" stereo jack to the RCA to Mini-stereo splitter
Plug free male end of Male to male cable into Computers audio Line-In
Connect computer to monitor via DVI/VGA (whichever you have free on your monitor)

Change between video sources with the monitor remote or OSD menus. Change volume either in OS mixer controls, or on speakers. When you do this, you should get speaker output to all of the speakers that your computers audio profile thinks there is. It's much better than using the screens speakers, or plugging into the speakers line-in (directly) as that usually only produces low volume stereo sound.

IMO, if you're looking at hooking up multiple sources, it might be time to look into a home theater receiver. I finally stopped buying shitty computer speaker systems, and stepped up to using a home theater receiver. I have TONS of inputs, 7.1 channels, can use whatever speakers I want, and can upgrade stuff independently.... I only spent about $200, and it was well worth it.

Currently running my 360 and PC on two 22" Gateway monitors.... both hooked up to the receiver. I had a Gamecube and SNES hooked up too, but honestly I don't play them enough.

Also, some receivers have HDMI switching. This would eliminate having to screw with the monitor.

Back