PS3 officially sells over 3 million more consoles than 360 worldwide in last 12 month

*Some* of the new 360 drives are tolerable. The new Jasper in my house sounds worse than some of the older first gen 360s.

Well the older gens are being phased out and *all* of the new slim models are very quiet.

:confused:
:rolleyes:
:eek: That is an invailid argument. The newer 360's disc drives are very tolerable... Also, after the 4gb fills up you can just go buy an 8gb flash drive for real cheap, heck 16gb are even pretty cheap now a days. ;)

My 2 Jaspers at home would disagree with you, My sons and mine are both loud as hell and pretty much any game we're going to keep we install.

Love the title. How about on Tuesdays between 7am and 8:45am?

Anyways, at this rate Sony may catch up in total worldwide sales some time in the next generation. :p

turns out should be within the next year at this rate:

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=22958

ps3 hardware sales are outpacing the 360, and has closed the gap from 7 million units down to 3.5 million units in the past year with numbers for the ps3 and 360 standing at 38.1 million and 41.7 million, respectively. still 2nd place is not much to boast about when both ms and sony are eating nintendo's dust, lol.

Their entertainment division lost $1.28 billion the first year of the 360 and $1.89 billion the second. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8118 While the division has been making money the last 3 years, they haven't overcome their losses. It's still almost $2 billion in the red.

Don't forget they also lost $4 billion on the first Xbox.

with live raking in over $1billions a year on pretty much non tangable goods..........(ie avatar items) lol they will overcome that in less than 2 years

Well the older gens are being phased out and *all* of the new slim models are very quiet.

I don't believe this is anything MS cares about. *All* of the Jasper units were quiet as well, until some people like myself ended up with a wind tunnel. That was one of the points people kept making about the Jasper consoles, it was pegged to be the "quieter and more reliable" 360 to replace all of those crappy RROD models.

Granted the unit in my house is not making ridiculous noise all the time, however when it does, total facepalm moment for me.

Their entertainment division lost $1.28 billion the first year of the 360 and $1.89 billion the second. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8118 While the division has been making money the last 3 years, they haven't overcome their losses. It's still almost $2 billion in the red.

Don't forget they also lost $4 billion on the first Xbox.

Dont forget that lost is on the entire entertainment division including Zune and other things. Not saying xbox360 was not the biggest contributor to that value (as they were) just they were not the only one....

Last edited:
Don't feel like reading through the 28301031st thread like this, but I'll add to it. It's not hardware sales that matter, it's about the sale of games. Compare total games sold next time.

^ 360 has an insane attach rate

Wii has multiple titles that have sold 20+ millions, Wii sports sold more than 60 millions lol

PS3 has a low attach rate but that should change since people are not buying them to be a blu-ray player

I think nintendo wins with most games sold.. Well EVER anyways lol. 20+ million copies super mario bros for nes..

More insane is Wii Fit... especially when you consider the cost of it with the balance board. 22m at last announcement.

Nintendo is awesome... That is that. Maybe not for the hardcore gamer but there are a lot more casual gamers out there then Hardcore gamers and about 10x the amount of people that know what Halo is, Know what Mario is. Well done Nintendo, Well done.

The 360's high failure rate and lack of good games (once you strip the PC games from the list) were the reason I did not get a 360.

I'm happy with my PS3. 250GB HD, built in Wifi, Blu-Ray, free online play and plenty of good games to keep me occupied for a long time.

Nintendo is awesome... That is that. Maybe not for the hardcore gamer but there are a lot more casual gamers out there then Hardcore gamers and about 10x the amount of people that know what Halo is, Know what Mario is. Well done Nintendo, Well done.

That might be because Super Mario Bros. came out 16 years before Halo. But yeah, despite not catering to the hardcore gamer anymore, I agree -- Nintendo is awesome. The NES was my first console. I was 8, and it introduced me to gaming. :cool:

Well, I'm happy with my 360. 250GB HD, built in Wifi, HDMI, awesome online service and plenty of good games to keep me occupied for a long time.

Well, I'm happy with my 360. 250GB HD, built in Wifi, HDMI, awesome online service and plenty of good games to keep me occupied for a long time.

speaking of HDMI, are the newer 360's able to use HDMI and Optical or do they still need a separate connector, thats the 1 thing that annoys the hell out of me and i cant understand why they designed it as an afterthought.

you no longer need an adapter

0_0_resize.jpg

Ok, new-ish 360 owner chiming in. Had it for about a month or two now? Gears of War 2 rocked. Halo 3 was underwhelming. Halo ODST was pure garbage. Dead Rising is looking very cool. Playing through now. I hate the Xbox Dashboard. It looks like it was designed for the blind and retarded. Jasper Arcade unit, drive is LOUD. Luckily a friend gave me a 20gb drive so I just install whatever I'm playing and then delete it when I'm done.

I don't understand what the big deal about Halo Reach is? I'm sure it's going to get straight 10's from all the sites, but after seeing what everyone rated ODST (9-10's everywhere) I don't think I trust reviewers with the Halo series much.

For what it's worth I loved ODST, probably my second favourite single player experience of the Halo franchise (first being combat evolved). Sounds to me like you just don't like Halo, and as such you probably shouldn't pay attention to reviewers anyway... they can't really review for all tastes.

But ehh, this is all very off topic.

I loved the original Halo, it was by far one of my favorite console FPS' of all time.

Then Halo 2 came out and sucked balls. Halo 3 felt and looked dated (but the music, characters,and plot were fantastic) and imo the only thing ODST had going for it was a fantastic soundtrack. I'm thinking I just like the Halo universe more than the games?

I loved the original Halo, it was by far one of my favorite console FPS' of all time.

Then Halo 2 came out and sucked balls. Halo 3 felt and looked dated (but the music, characters,and plot were fantastic) and imo the only thing ODST had going for it was a fantastic soundtrack. I'm thinking I just like the Halo universe more than the games?

I pretty much agree with everything you said! Halo 1 was the best, then halo 3 was ok (could have been better), and halo 2 sucked big time. ODST was too dark and the campaign was just annoying at times... waste of my money!

I'm happy with my 360. 250GB HD.
I'm happy with my PS3.80GB HD with PS1 and PS2 compatability.

ps3xbox360.png

Several weeks ago I picked up a 360 S. Three days later I returned it for a full refund. The console seemed to get very hot and locked up. This is unacceptable for a redesigned console which I EXPECTED the past issues of it's predecessors to be resolved.

Still wanting a console, I decided on the PS3 Slim and couldn't be happier. The interface is well designed and intuitive unlike the 360. It's very quiet and doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the 360 did. Not too mention it plays my networked media beautifully unlike the 360. This has also enabled me to remove my laptop which was hooked up to my LCDTV for media purposes. The PS3 has taken on all duties.

I'm also really enjoying the PSN and joined Plus for the free games and discounts. Ultimately in my opinion, the PS3 outweighs the 360 greatly. Furthermore as a casual PC Gamer, I'm surprised I've been spending as much time as I am with the PS3 while my PC gaming has declined. Maybe it's the couch potato aspect. :p

Games currently for the PS3: Super Street Fighter IV, Fallout 3, MotorStorm, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, WipeOut HD Fury, and Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix.

PSN Username: xinvisionx

Fair enough. I've had a Wii, PS3 and a 360 break on me this gen... so I'd be doing a lot of PC gaming if I worked the same way. ;)

Fair enough. I've had a Wii, PS3 and a 360 break on me this gen... so I'd be doing a lot of PC gaming if I worked the same way. ;)

I could understand if something has issues down the line, but not within days of purchasing it. That's unacceptable in my book despite the lemon factor.

I think I was destined to have a ps3! :p

I'm the other way. I've had first day issues with all sorts of hardware (including insanely expensive high availability server gear), but when it's working, I expect it to stay that way, at least for a good few years.

It's not unusual for dodgy hardware to slip through the net, and at least it's usually a case of just popping into a shop for a replacement. But yeah, PS3 is a good buy too. :)

Several weeks ago I picked up a 360 S. Three days later I returned it for a full refund. The console seemed to get very hot and locked up. This is unacceptable for a redesigned console which I EXPECTED the past issues of it's predecessors to be resolved.

Still wanting a console, I decided on the PS3 Slim and couldn't be happier. The interface is well designed and intuitive unlike the 360. It's very quiet and doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the 360 did. Not too mention it plays my networked media beautifully unlike the 360. This has also enabled me to remove my laptop which was hooked up to my LCDTV for media purposes. The PS3 has taken on all duties.

I'm also really enjoying the PSN and joined Plus for the free games and discounts. Ultimately in my opinion, the PS3 outweighs the 360 greatly. Furthermore as a casual PC Gamer, I'm surprised I've been spending as much time as I am with the PS3 while my PC gaming has declined. Maybe it's the couch potato aspect. :p

Games currently for the PS3: Super Street Fighter IV, Fallout 3, MotorStorm, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, WipeOut HD Fury, and Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix.

PSN Username: xinvisionx

I'm calling this out as flamebait, sounds like an advert for the PS3 slim and the awesome benefits of the Plus service :rolleyes:

Plus is a scam IMO, Sony have seen the amount MS are raking in on Gold and thought 'I want me a slice of that' and cobbled together a half assed attempt to try and reward 'loyal' users. Having background downloading as the ultimate premium feature and a big Fuck You to the ppl that bought all the stuff first time around isn't a bright idea, I for one have pretty much stopped my free spending on PSN and am now putting my gaming time into the 360, I prefer the XMB but online gaming wise XBL kills PSN.....I could spout the boring XBL fanboy rhetoric but we've heard it all before. Sony are close, XMB with XBL features would be a killer so they need to deliver better online features for Plus, forget the gimmicks...it's that simple. I won't be holding my breath tho.

TBH I don't agree with the fee on any system, but I fell less ripped off over Live as it has features I actually want and use.

Yeah, but it's easy enough to live without Plus. If you're a online gamer a 360 is absolutely neutered without Live.

July numbers:

1. Xbox 360: 443,500
2. Nintendo DS: 398,400
3. Wii: 253,900
4. PlayStation 3: 214,500
5. PSP: 84,000

Sony is last..... again.

Link

I think that may have something to do with the 360 slim release, personally id have thought they would have sold way more 360s last month, kind of disappointing for MS really.

I think that may have something to do with the 360 slim release, personally id have thought they would have sold way more 360s last month, kind of disappointing for MS really.
I'm guessing you're not being entirely serious... because that's one of the biggest number of sales for any console in July ever. It's more sales per week than the PS3 managed when the slim was released (98k a week vs 110k a week), and that was a September, which usually sees higher sales than the summer months.

Not to mention that July was the second month the 360 S was available.

i thought ps3 sold near 500k in its first full month? my bad.

Last edited:
It did, but that was a 5 week reporting period, vs 4 weeks for the July reporting period posted above. Hence 98k a week vs 110k a week.

Back