Ps3 newly purchased...recomendations

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
So I couldn't take not having played demon souls. So I bought a new PS3 for $220 + $20 for demon souls. I should get 100 hours out of that making $2.20 an hour which is already a pretty good value. Also going to pick up Valkyria Chronicles and Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment.

What else shale I get?

I pretty much only play RPG's but will pick up other titles if they are a must.

If its on PC (Skyrim, Mass effect, ect...) I'd already have played them on PC.

?

Dark Souls, hands down when you finish Demon Souls. Uncharted series is solid. FF13 (hey it's cheap, lot of people say it sucks but I loved it). Batman: Arkham Asylum and City, Mass Effect, Ni No Kuni I heard is also really good but I've never played it. Cell shaded-esque RPG.

I wouldn't bother with Dark Souls, just get it on the PC.

Uncharted 1-3, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Valkyria Chronicles

Otherwise;

The Last of Us
Uncharted Dual Pack
Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition
Uncharted 3
God of War 3
God of War: Ascension
Little Big Planet 2
Infamous Collection
Twisted Metal
Killzone Trilogy
Resistance Collection
Resistance 3
Jak & Daxter Collection
Heavy Rain
Journey
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
LittleBigPlanet Karting

Beyond: Two souls
Gran Tourismo 6
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix - Limited Edition

I tried to limit games that are only experienced on Playstation alot being commented on are either on 360 or PC. If I had to give just 7 titles that had to be played no matter ones preference I'd say

The Last of Us
Uncharted 2 & 3
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
God of War: Ascension
Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition
Little Big Planet 2

Those games without question show you what Sony is all about in various ways.

Ni no kuni
Valkyria Chronicles
Uncharted series (even 1, they are all good)
Final fantasy XIII and XIII-2 (I enjoyed both of them)
Shadow of the COlossus + Ico HD
Metal Gear Solid HD collection (or wait for legacy collection)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (also in legacy collection)

There are LOADS of great games on PS3. I recommend getting a PSN Plus subscription so you can get gems like Vanquish, infamous 2, and others for "free."

Also next-jin's list is top tier.

Definitely recommend:

The Last of Us
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Uncharted 1-3
Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2

The Last of Us
Uncharted 1-3
Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch
Heavy Rain
Valkyria Chronicles
Journey (PSN)
Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time
Shadow of Colossus and Ico

Tried to stick to more RPG/Adventure type of games since you prefer RPG's

I didn't include console multiplatform titles or PS2 HD collections (outside of Shadow of Colossus/Ico)

As a new PS3 owner, myself, I have to say Uncharted. I started with 3 and it's a blast. I'm picking up the 1+2 dual pack soon to play as well as Last of Us.

I played Dark Souls on PC and it is what made by buy a PS3 and Demon souls.

Played and passed FFXIII on xbox360 and it was painful and I hated it.

Tales series is tried and true so Graces F and Tales of Xillia and in.

Not sure I can get past the little kid as the main character for Ni No Kuni...just seems a bit adolescent. Though Level 5 is amazing and Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite games so If I can get it for $20 I'm in.

not big on adventure games so Uncharted, last of US, GOW, and such are all likely out...at least for now....the PS3 comes with Assassins creed but have no desire to play that.

all FPS are out as this is a console.

pretty solid list of games, few of which suit my taste though.

Are there any multi player games I can play with the wife....Like a Playstation version of Mario, Mario Kart, Professor layton, bomber man, dr.robotnicks mean bean machine, tetris, big fish style find game, ect...?

I played Dark Souls on PC and it is what made by buy a PS3 and Demon souls.

Played and passed FFXIII on xbox360 and it was painful and I hated it.

Tales series is tried and true so Graces F and Tales of Xillia and in.

Not sure I can get past the little kid as the main character for Ni No Kuni...just seems a bit adolescent. Though Level 5 is amazing and Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite games so If I can get it for $20 I'm in.

not big on adventure games so Uncharted, last of US, GOW, and such are all likely out...at least for now....the PS3 comes with Assassins creed but have no desire to play that.

all FPS are out as this is a console.

pretty solid list of games, few of which suit my taste though.

Are there any multi player games I can play with the wife....Like a Playstation version of Mario, Mario Kart, Professor layton, bomber man, dr.robotnicks mean bean machine, tetris, big fish style find game, ect...?

First off, The Last of Us is more of a stealth/survival game than an adventure game, and it is absolutely killer. I'd say it's up there for "Game of the Generation." I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking it out, but if you are really against the genre for whatever reason, I suppose I can understand.

Also, Ni No Kuni is probably the best JRPG to come out in a decade IMO. Definitely pick it up since you're into the genre.

Are there any multi player games I can play with the wife....Like a Playstation version of . . .Mario Kart . . .

Give Modnation Racers a shot. Split screen play that can be carried over to online as well.

Give Modnation Racers a shot. Split screen play that can be carried over to online as well.

Done.

First off, The Last of Us is more of a stealth/survival game than an adventure game, and it is absolutely killer. I'd say it's up there for "Game of the Generation." I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking it out, but if you are really against the genre for whatever reason, I suppose I can understand.

Also, Ni No Kuni is probably the best JRPG to come out in a decade IMO. Definitely pick it up since you're into the genre.

Good to know. Don't know much about Last of Us just watched a preview for it.

is the over all feel of Ni No Kuni childish like kingdom hearts? While nothing really wrong with that I just lack the desire to go into something like that.

Done.

Good to know. Don't know much about Last of Us just watched a preview for it.

is the over all feel of Ni No Kuni childish like kingdom hearts? While nothing really wrong with that I just lack the desire to go into something like that.

Are you familar with Studio Ghibli? They made animated movies like Princess Mononoke, Spirted Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and tons of other classics (those are just some of the more "known" to the public). The appearance will be childish and it will have its moments, but it is a very good game and not aimed at children at all. It really is the best JRPG in the past decade.

To me, it's hard to describe NNK's overall feel. It has a good balance of the lighthearted stuff and serious tones. To answer your question directly though, it would be my opinion that NNK is definitely less "kiddy" than KH overall.

Are you familar with Studio Ghibli? They made animated movies like Princess Mononoke, Spirted Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and tons of other classics (those are just some of the more "known" to the public). The appearance will be childish and it will have its moments, but it is a very good game and not aimed at children at all. It really is the best JRPG in the past decade.

Ok sold. Level 5 + creators of Princess Mononoke does sound like something I'd be allover even if it has a slight kid feel too it.....and by the time I get to it it will likely be $20.

Main line:
1) Demon souls
2) Valkyria Chronicles
3) Vandal Hearts
4) Tales of Xillia
5) Tales of Grace
6) Ni no kuni

All the others will be on my if I get bored and have time list.....Quite nice popping into a console at the end of its life cycle. Everything beyond Demon Souls is just Icing on the cake.

I bought Modnation racers on release day and sold it two weeks later. I'll be honest, it was just too damn hard. I think they patched it but it was incredibly frustrating how the cpu could cheat. It wasn't Demon Souls hard either it was bullshit hard.

Last edited:
Last of Us is incredible.

It's not a "fun" game in the sense that you're all smiles at the explosions and stuff. But its extremely deep and rewarding mentally.

First game I'd consider art that I've played.

Ok sold. Level 5 + creators of Princess Mononoke does sound like something I'd be allover even if it has a slight kid feel too it.....and by the time I get to it it will likely be $20.

Main line:
1) Demon souls
2) Valkyria Chronicles
3) Vandal Hearts
4) Tales of Xillia
5) Tales of Grace
6) Ni no kuni

All the others will be on my if I get bored and have time list.....Quite nice popping into a console at the end of its life cycle. Everything beyond Demon Souls is just Icing on the cake.

You'll dig NNK since you familiar with the work :)

I can not stress this enough though. You have to get The Last of Us. You like RPG's, I'm assuming so because of stories, TLOU knocks it out of the park. It really is one of the best game to come in the past few generations. It's incredible, that's the only way I can describe it.

I would recommend getting PS+ for sure. If you'd only gotten it a few days ago you would have games such as infamous 2, LBP2 etc which just went out of rotation.

But right now, you will get for free -
Uncharted 3
Saints Row 3
Deus Ex HR
XCom

and a bunch of PSN games. These are 4 AAA games which are all very well reviewed. I would also strongly recommend Journey, get the 3-game collectors edition if you can which also has flower and flow. It's won numerous game of year awards in 2012.

Really PS3 has a ton of exclusives that are great.

You'll dig NNK since you familiar with the work :)

I can not stress this enough though. You have to get The Last of Us. You like RPG's, I'm assuming so because of stories, TLOU knocks it out of the park. It really is one of the best game to come in the past few generations. It's incredible, that's the only way I can describe it.

I'll watch some game play video's. Knew nothing about it until today. If its more like silent hill and less like GOW I'd probably like it. I didn't Like Resident evil 4 because it moved to far towards action and included lame as click X button now features....if I wanted that I'd play parappa the rapper

I'll watch some game play video's. Knew nothing about it until today. If its more like silent hill and less like GOW I'd probably like it. I didn't Like Resident evil 4 because it moved to far towards action and included lame as click X button now features....if I wanted that I'd play parappa the rapper

TLOU is not even close to GOW. It is a stealth/survival game. You have limited supplies so you have to make each bullet count and use your bombs/molotovs creatively to make sure they aren't wasted killing a single person as the supplies to make them are limited. You use distraction to your advantage a lot throwing bottles/bricks to distract enemies and for them to go to it. If you try and gun blaze you'll die quick probably and if you don't you'll waste a lot of supplies and not be able to do it for long. I wouldn't call it an action game at all, you do a lot of killing but you are sneaking about doing it and it benefits you to take enemies out silently to save supplies and not alert any others.

Last of Us
Uncharted 1-3
God of War Saga + Ascension
Journey

Not sure about the rest, I'm relatively new to PS3

Play:

The Last of Us
Uncharted 1-3

...and now you will realize that Naughty Dog is the best developer this generation.

Play:

The Last of Us
Uncharted 1-3

...and now you will realize that Naughty Dog is the best developer this generation.

It all comes down to taste, and I just don't see my self liking any of these games. I'm sure they are amazing games its just not my cup of tea. Its like my friend who absolutely loves the Metal Gear series and The Borne Identity movies. He goes on and on about how amazing they are and how it is impossible for me not to like either. He insist that if I just give them a shot I'll love them. Many shots given and still I just don't like them.....and don't even get me starting on trying to understand how people enjoy watching sports....but people do.

Reverse the situation and I am not understanding how he can not like American Beauty and Shin Megami Tensei.....I mean that is one of the greatest movies and game series of all time how could someone possibly not like it....all boils down to taste and I'm often in the minority.

For me the greatest Developer this Generation is Atlus Hands down....and its quite possible that many of the people here haven't even played one of their games..>

Etrian Odyssey: series
Knights in the nightmare
Shin Megami Tensei: series
Yggdra Unison
Tactics orge
Persona Series
Disgea: series

.....they also published Demon Souls.

I'm a little surprised MS and Sony didn't announce price drops on the current consoles at E3.

I'm a little surprised MS and Sony didn't announce price drops on the current consoles at E3.

I know I was kind of waiting to get at PS3 at 199.00 after E3. But they are probably waiting till Christmas. I only jumped on mine because it was the 220 which is a pretty good deal.

Uncharted series (1-3)
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
Gran Turismo 5 XL
Killzone 2
Ni No Kuni
Resistance series
God of War series

For me the greatest Developer this Generation is Atlus Hands down....and its quite possible that many of the people here haven't even played one of their games..>

Etrian Odyssey: series
Knights in the nightmare
Shin Megami Tensei: series
Yggdra Unison
Tactics orge
Persona Series
Disgea: series

.....they also published Demon Souls.

Guilty as charged :eek:
Although now I want to play one of those games so you did a good job.

Guilty as charged :eek:
Although now I want to play one of those games so you did a good job.

.....It's all about personal taste.

I have a general test I can use to help gauge other people's taste and whether or not it is similar to my own....It doesn't always work but it usually does.

which do you like Zelda 1 or Zelda 2? If you say Zelda 2 you we likely enjoy the same games.

I was also hoping Sony would drop the PS3 price as I know a few people wanting to buy it, but remember Sony is in very bad financial shape right now. After 5 years of loss they made a profit last year only because they sold off real estate worth billions and sold off divisions.

I was also hoping Sony would drop the PS3 price as I know a few people wanting to buy it, but remember Sony is in very bad financial shape right now. After 5 years of loss they made a profit last year only because they sold off real estate worth billions and sold off divisions.

How do you explain MS not dropping the price on the 360, either?

By all rights, both of them should have done it at E3 especially during the typical "dog days of summer" slumps.

My PS3's PSU failed this past week just as I was starting to get into Last of Us. I'm way past any warranty on it.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do but spending $300 on a PS3 this late into the game seems a bit silly.

Last edited:
Back